The errata thread

Discussing all things Ravenloft
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DeepShadow of FoS »

ROTFL! There was a time in Reckonings when the shadowdancer's companion tried to grapple another shadow. Niether had a strength score....

Yeah, I say keep the grapple bonus, too. You never know what's going to happen, especially in my games....
The Avariel has borrowed wings,
The Puppeteer must cut the strings
The Orphan Queen must take the throne
The Queen of Orphans calls them home
Stygian Inquirer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Stygian Inquirer »

Well, incorporeal creatures apply their Strength modifier to damage against other incorporeal creatures so would there be a problem with grappling (at least with incorporeal creatures)?
Information seems to come my way whether by chance or by fate, but all this means, is that I have yet to find out what will kill me and why. - The Stygian Inquirer
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

How can they add their modifier when they don't have a score? I've now had spectres grappling among themselves as well, and it makes no sense at all; what, they just glom onto each other until someone pries them apart? Presumably the initiator of the grapple choose to end it, but is there no way for the target to fight back?

Also, what about ghost touch armor? Can a character in GT armor grapple a ghost?

These are more inconsistencies and errors in the core rules, but they are related to issues that come up a lot more in RL. Here's a specifically RL rule that sorely needs an errata: resonance fluid, from VRGttMists. How the heck does this stuff work?! It makes ghosts and mists creatures corporeal, so they can be hit by corporeal weapons and can't go through walls and whatnot, fine, but do they get a strength score? If they had the ability to fly, can they still do so? What about other abilities of the incorporeal type?

It's not a template; it can't just be removed to expose a preexisting character underneath. Not that that helps in the case of ghosts: if we just remove the template, are they still immune to critical hits?

Please help me with this; one of my PC's still has a vial of this stuff left. As he's currently taking a 500' fall, it would make a big difference if his ally--a corporealized spectre--can fly or not.
Stygian Inquirer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Normally an incorporeal creature would use it's original Strength score (the one it had when it was alive). It is more common that you will have a Strength score to use if it was a character that became an incorporeal creature (i.e. ghost) later. I would arbitrarily assign a Strength score when an incorporeal creature is affected by resonance fluid. As for the ability to fly, that is common to all incorporeal creatures so unless it has wings, it wouldn't be able to fly if corporeal.

They would be vulnerable to critical hits because incorporeal creatures have no vulnerable spots but when they become corporeal they are pretty much the same as humans.

BTW Incorporeal is a subtype and has some abilities common to it so if you removed the subtype, it wouldn't have access to those abilities.
Last edited by Stygian Inquirer on Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Information seems to come my way whether by chance or by fate, but all this means, is that I have yet to find out what will kill me and why. - The Stygian Inquirer
Stygian Inquirer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Here is what the Wizard's website says in their Rules of the Game article about incorporeality:

"Because an incorporeal creature cannot exert any Strength and its body (such as it is) passes through material objects, an incorporeal creature cannot use bull rush, disarm, grapple, overrun, sunder, or trip attacks against corporeal creatures or objects. Some of these attack forms are possible against other incorporeal creatures."

"Grappling: You can resolve grapple attempts using the rules on pages 155-157 of the Player's Handbook, except that an incorporeal creature uses its Charisma modifier instead of its Strength modifier when it makes a grapple check. Remember that grappling combat begins with an initial grab attempt, not a grapple check. When one incorporeal creature tries to grab another, it makes a melee touch attack and uses its Dexterity modifier for the attack."
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Okay, so it is mostly like removing a template. You just remove the incorporeal subtype and everything that goes with it. But adding a strength score seems a little arbitrary; what do you base it on?

The info on grappling with incorporeals is very welcome. I doubt this is the last time that this has come up, and I think Tessius' player will be extra glad she raised his Charisma bonus!
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Dommark (the Plain of Judgement)

Post by cure »

In Gazetteer V, p. 11, it states that the Dommark (the Plain of Judgement) is West of the Kesjermark. It should instead be East.

The Kesjermark is West of the Prince's Road, joining Bergovista and Kantora, and is delimited by the Shadow Rift. Nothing in Nova Vaasa can be West of it. East of it between the Ivlis and the Sydligdnar (South Darn River) are the hellishly dry and hot Dommark that receives no rains from the prevailing West winds.
The cure for what ails you
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

I got this by email:

It seems that Strahd's ranged and melee attacks in
Ravenloft Gazeteer I are wrong. He has a higher ranged
than melee attck, but his Strength is reater than his
Dexterity and he wields a weapon magic weapon too.
What would be the write numbers? Also, what would his
3.5 DR be, cause my players may end up fighting him
soon. Thanks, keep up the good work

Justin
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Dates of Louise (& Jacqueline) Renier in the LoB

Post by cure »

In the Legacy of Blood on p. 147 the birth date of Louise Renier, and hence of her twin Jacqueline, is given as 719 BC.

Immediately before this we are told that she is nearly 70, but does not look it.

This would put us in the year 787 BC or 778 BC instead of 758 BC or 759 BC.

Further we know that Jacqueline killed Claude Renier in 726 BC and became darklord. She was not 6 at the time.

An age of nearly 70 would almost work with Mangrum's proposed birth date of 688. We would be in 756 or 757 BC.

Is a correct, official date given somewhere? Incidently, Mangrum argues that the Realms of Terror date of 703 BC is wrong.
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

The Curse of Nova Vaasa is Alive and Well

Post by cure »

In the Gazetter V p. 154 we are told Tristen Hiregaard was born in 664 BC.

On page p. 33 we are told that he was 11 when his father committed suicide in 671 BC, implying that he was born in 660 BC.

Now, Romir was prince when he killed himself and Tristen became prince. The Hiregaard turn of office was from 669-673. This confirms loosely the date of 671 BC. (by working the Cycle of Stewartship backwards)

The 11 years is loosely confirmed by the fact that when Prince Romir killed his wife Tristen was 10. (p. 155)

Finally on p. 155 the death of Tristen's father and the birth of Nova Vaasa are seperated by 11 years (for 5 years his father's curse rests and for 6 years it drives Tristen to kill). 671 + 11 = 682 which is the actual date that Nova Vaasa is born.

Hence 660 BC, rather than 664 BC, is the correct date. (Of if this conflicts canon elsewhere then everything, else is wrong!)
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Mistway Madness

Post by cure »

I was just looking over the Official Errata in The Vault and realised that the error concerning the Bleak Road Mistway has been repeated in the Van Ritchen's Guide to the Mists pg 69. It should not read Southern Barovia (as there are no permanent Mists there) but rather Southern Nova Vaasa.

I also noticed that the error concerning Tristen Hiregaard's supposed birth date, 664 BC which creates problems, as opposed to 660 BC which does not, has already been noted.
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

I will update this section soon, keep them coming!

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Serpents Coils Mistway is messed up

Post by cure »

The Van Richten's Guide to the Mists (p. 70) introduces to the list of known Mistways The Serpent’s Coils (Moderate Reliability, Two-Way) linking Eastern Nova Vaasa and Central Zherisia. Paridon itself was already served by The Shrouded Way (Moderate Reliability, Two-Way) linking Northwestern Darkon and Southern Paridon.

Given that each Mistway is moderately reliable and given that the same destination is not given for both it seems correct to assume that they are completely distinct.

The problem is that there is no such thing as Central Zherisia. There is downtown Paridon and there is presumably a center of Timor. A place central to both creates all kinds of problems, among them no (obvious) permanent bank of mists (for the return trip at least).

The matter is discussed here:
http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/foru ... php?t=3244
Stygian Inquirer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Joël of the Fraternity wrote:I got this by email:

It seems that Strahd's ranged and melee attacks in
Ravenloft Gazeteer I are wrong. He has a higher ranged
than melee attck, but his Strength is reater than his
Dexterity and he wields a weapon magic weapon too.
What would be the write numbers? Also, what would his
3.5 DR be, cause my players may end up fighting him
soon. Thanks, keep up the good work

Justin
I have done the math the the attacks should look like this:
Atk +20 melee (1d6+8 and energy drain, slam) or +25/+20/+15 melee (1d10+14, +4 bastard sword) or +19/+14/+9 ranged (1d8+6, +2 mighty composite longbow);

I got these number via the following. The BAB for a Ftr 4/Nec 16 is 12/7/2. For the melee attack, you add +8 for STR mod, +4 for the bastard sword and +1 for weapon focus (bastard sword). For the ranged attack, you add +5 for DEX mod and +2 for the bow.

Also the 3.5 DR would be 25/silver and magic as per the RL:PHB entry per an 'ancient' vampire.
Stygian Inquirer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Gazetteer 1:

The Fortitude and Will saves for the Dire Raven are off. It should be +3 for the Will save (+3 Wis, +0 base because animals do not have a good Will save) and +4 for the Fortitude save (+2 Con, +2 Base as animals have good Fortitude and Reflex saves) Page 126.

The Reflex and Will saves are off for the Silver Fox. They should be +6 Reflex (+4 Dex, +2 base) and +2 Will (+2 Wis, +0 base) Page 126.

The Reflex save for the Undead Lake Serpent is off by two. It should be 5 not 7 (-1 Dex, +6 Base) Page 122.