The errata thread

Discussing all things Ravenloft
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Bluetspur mistaken for G'Henna in VRG to the Mists

Post by cure »

On page 15 of the VRG to the Mist Bluestpur is described as formerly being at the heart of the relam next to Falkovnia. The reference should be to G'Henna. It cannot be that Falkovnia was mistaken for Kartakass since Kartakass is on the edge rather than near the heart of the Core.
The cure for what ails you
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

you may be right. I had assumed it meant sometime during the formation of the core. But looking at the timeline, it doesn't make much sense.

Bluetspur formed 581. At the time Darkon had just formed in 580 and Darkon and Barovia shared a border, I believe, (from I, Strahd II.) It's possible Bluetspur wedged Darkon up, sat in the center and then got shoved around as G'henna, Markovia, Tepest, Hazlan and Nova Vassa were formed. But Falkovnia formed in 690, when Nova Vassa was already formed. So, that would be a bit odd....

Your solution is probably better.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

In Gaz II, p50, stats for Martira Bay there is one Harbor Watchmaster Hoelgar Arnutsson Brd8. I just found in my 1992 Trading card set a Hoelgar Arnutsson 10th level Ftr(Berserker). So I suppose Brd is a typo and should mean Brb, which makes more sense for a Watchmaster.

I would probably make him a Ftr/Brb or Ftr/Frenzied Berserker though. I have no idea why his level is lower than on the card, but he could have been drained.

BTW his extrapolated stats from the card are: AL CE; Str 15 Dex 14- Con 15-18
Possessions: bronze plate, helm, greatsword +3, dragonslayer (probably gold)
Background: Hoelgar and his warriors slew an entire brood of gold dragons, save one fugitive. Its mother, as she died, cursed Hoelgar to utter destruction when "the golden eyed youth wields the silver blade". Hoelgar followed the youth, intending to slay it before the curse could be fulfilled and became trapped in Ravenloft.

..so there's a (very) young gold dragon loose in Ravenloft semi-canon somewhere! :-)

Edit: Hoelgar is also detailed in Bleak House. Here's the info from Bleak House:
Watch Master Hoelgar Arnuttson [is] an aging bitter human, Arnutson wandererd RL for almost 20 years, hoping to find a way home. He finally settled in Darkon and lost all memory of having been anywhere else. A berseker of CE alignment he is too filled with hate and hostility to trifle with anyone who belittles his authority and honor by attempting to bribe him, and he will do his best either to kill the offender personally or see him hanged. However he doesn't care if the 50 thugs that pass for the Harbor watch augment their income. Arnutsson´s lax attitude toward discipline has earned him the dislike of the leaders of both the Kargat and the City Constabulary, but as he has managed to bring down the rate of crime on the waterfront (which is his jurisdiction), the Lady Mayor dismiss their complaints.

Stats: 60hp, Int 13, AC4 with chain+1, THACO11 (+2 str to hit).

He owns a wide selection of weapons and is proficient in all of them. The only topics which he ever discusses is weapons and their care.
Last edited by The Giamarga on Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:43 am, edited 4 times in total.
Stygian Inquirer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Stygian Inquirer »

In the Masque of the Red Death book, the hit points for The Hollow on page 246 are not calculated properly. Instead of being 5d10 (27), it should be 5d10+20 (47) because in 3.5 constructs gain bonus hit points based on size.
Last edited by Stygian Inquirer on Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Information seems to come my way whether by chance or by fate, but all this means, is that I have yet to find out what will kill me and why. - The Stygian Inquirer
Stygian Inquirer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

In Legacies of Blood, page 138, in the Rodjan Dilisnya entry, Stage 2 of the Path of the Demon ability states: "Rodjan has a +2 bonus to Dexterity and +2 to Charisma but a -2 on all charisma based skill checks" I think that the +2 bonus to Charisma may be a typo because in the Stage 1 entry it states that he is gaining a demonic appearance and also, that means that his charisma checks would only have a net -1. I think the author might have meant +2 to Constitution instead, but the author would have to verify that.
Information seems to come my way whether by chance or by fate, but all this means, is that I have yet to find out what will kill me and why. - The Stygian Inquirer
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

In Gaz IV p. 139 there's a new poison called Vital Venom which was created by Nostalia Romaine and Ivana Boritsi. It has a required Caster Level of 6th, but neither Ivana (an Ari3/Exp4/Cpo5 according to p.149) nor Nostalia (an Ari4/Wiz4/Rog2 according to p.21) have such a Caster Level.

Suggested correction:
a) alter Nostalia to be an Ari2/Wiz6/Rog2
or
b) alter the CL to 4th in the description of Vital Venom.

Also Vital Venom doesn't recreate a spell effect so it is technically not a potion.

Suggested Correction:
a) alter the required feat from Brew Potion to Craft Wondrous Item.
or
b) add a new spell (up to 3rd level and of Nostalia's own creation) to the item's crafting prerequisites.
Last edited by The Giamarga on Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

Post by Tobias Blackburn »

The Giamarga wrote:In Gaz IV p. 139 there's a new poison called Vital Venom which was created by Nostalia Romaine and Ivana Boritsi. It has a required Caster Level of 6th, but neither Ivana (an Ari3/Exp4/Cpo5 according to p.149) nor Nostalia (an Ari4/Wiz4/Rog2 according to p.21) have such a Caster Level.

Suggested correction: alter Nostalia to be an Ari2/Wiz6/Rog2.
I believe that Ivana is capable of creating any poison she wants. If Nostalia was making suggestions and aiding her she would have still been able to make it.
The Remnants have one saying to represent loss, disappearance, exile, and death. It is [i]Shiao Marests[/i], "Taken by The Shadows".
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

Nostalia is said to share the formula with every ermordenung who is interested in it, so I think she should be able understand the formula herself. It's a CL6 potion. Just like a 4th level wizard can't understand or learn a 3rd level spell, i think a 4th level wizard can't understand a potion formula for a potion with a CL of 6.

Or may be you're right.
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

Post by Tobias Blackburn »

The Giamarga wrote:Nostalia is said to share the formula with every ermordenung who is interested in it, so I think she should be able understand the formula herself. It's a CL6 potion. Just like a 4th level wizard can't understand or learn a 3rd level spell, i think a 4th level wizard can't understand a potion formula for a potion with a CL of 6.

Or may be you're right.
But she can hand around slips of paper to those that are interested.

Who knows, we may both be right. I just figure that the simplest way might be the best.
The Remnants have one saying to represent loss, disappearance, exile, and death. It is [i]Shiao Marests[/i], "Taken by The Shadows".
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

Well technically it is not a poison but a potion type magic item, as it requires the Brew Potion feat. So technically Ivana couldn't even craft it. Also the descritpion for Vital Venom states that "Nostalia Romaine created this elixir with assistance from Ivana Boritsi." So it was Ivana making suggestions and Nostalia did create it.

I say that Nostalia should have the Brew Potion feat and a Caster level of 6. Ivana did help in the creation of the formula which is why this potion doesn't imitate a spell and has poison effects. Of course you could also lower the CL of Vital Venom to 4th.

OTOH you could also argue that it can't be a potion as it doesn't produce a spell effect. The mention of the word elixir in it's description could also point to Vital Venom being a Wondrous Item instead like all other elixirs. Or you have to add a new spell (up to 3rd level and of Nostalia's own creation) to the item's crafting prerequisites.

Oh and btw Ivana can't create any poison. Only those with DCs low enough for her craft skill. (She doesn't have any special power to create poisons that is mentioned in her stats.)
The Pickled Punk
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by The Pickled Punk »

I have noticed a whole slew of mistakes in Denizens of Dread, mostly mistakes that reflect the changes from 3.0 to 3.5 (such as the number of skill points or feats a critter recieves). There are so many mistakes that maybe the book deserves it's own thread :) .

Take the Akikage, for example. As an incorporeal creature it can't be grappled, so it's entry for BAB/Grapple should read +3/--. It's saves are wrong, since undead get only Will as a good save, not fort or Ref, the skills entry doesn't include synergy bonuses, and it is missing a feat. (I suggest giving the akikage either alertness, or skill focus (hide)).

Should I post more mistakes in Denizens in this thread, or start a new thread for the monsters?
The Kosher Pickled Punk of the Carnival
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

This thread. We'll sort them later ourselves and put the updated Errata files elsewhere on the site.
I've been meaning to look through DofD myself but there's just soooo many mistakes. You really have to go through monster-by-monster...
The Pickled Punk
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by The Pickled Punk »

David of the FoS wrote:This thread. We'll sort them later ourselves and put the updated Errata files elsewhere on the site.
I've been meaning to look through DofD myself but there's just soooo many mistakes. You really have to go through monster-by-monster...
That's what I've started to do. I'll post some more proposed erratta later.
The Kosher Pickled Punk of the Carnival
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DeepShadow of FoS »

The Pickled Punk wrote:Take the Akikage, for example. As an incorporeal creature it can't be grappled, so it's entry for BAB/Grapple should read +3/--. It's saves are wrong, since undead get only Will as a good save, not fort or Ref, the skills entry doesn't include synergy bonuses, and it is missing a feat. (I suggest giving the akikage either alertness, or skill focus (hide)).
I agree with most of these changes, but IMO the Akikage should have all good saves because it's based in part on a monk.
The Avariel has borrowed wings,
The Puppeteer must cut the strings
The Orphan Queen must take the throne
The Queen of Orphans calls them home
Stygian Inquirer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

DeepShadow wrote:
The Pickled Punk wrote:Take the Akikage, for example. As an incorporeal creature it can't be grappled, so it's entry for BAB/Grapple should read +3/--. It's saves are wrong, since undead get only Will as a good save, not fort or Ref, the skills entry doesn't include synergy bonuses, and it is missing a feat. (I suggest giving the akikage either alertness, or skill focus (hide)).
I agree with most of these changes, but IMO the Akikage should have all good saves because it's based in part on a monk.
Can incorporeal creatures grapple other incorporeal creatures? That might explain the grapple entry.