Underground Giant Jellyfish???

Discussing Masque of the Red Death
Igor the Henchman
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Igor the Henchman »

The whole Rakshasa thing surprised me as well, when I first read about it, but the idea appealed me for some reason, so me keep. Perhaps the appeal lies precisely in that it is unexpected, yet really fitting when you really think about it. The Rakshasa is a great yet often overlooked monster for master criminal and manipulator types. Moreso, Moriarty's right hand man Colonel Morran is known to have spent a great deal of time in India, which might explain how the invidividuals first met.

This is a very personal point of view, but to me, Masque of the Red Death is really all about explaining real-world and literature events with a creative use of D&D monsters and magic. Moriarty turning out to be a Rakshasa fits really well into this philosophy. Understandably, it didn't appeal to all.

As for the lack of human evil in Masque of the Red Death, I don't think the problem is really that serious: Delphine LaLaurie is undisputably the most cruel and sadistic villain in the entire book, while Sarah Winchester is easily the creepiest. Also note that those villains who *do* turn out to be real monsters in the Red Death universe, are characters of fiction, and, although interesting, their crimes are oftentimes far less despicable than what real people have done during our history.
AdamGarou
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by AdamGarou »

Igor the Henchman wrote:... Also note that those villains who *do* turn out to be real monsters in the Red Death universe, are characters of fiction, and, although interesting, their crimes are oftentimes far less despicable than what real people have done during our history.
This is certainly true. If you ask a dozen people to name the most famous serial killer of all time, more than half of them will probably say "Jack the Ripper". And yet, to our knowledge, the Ripper only committed five (or possibly six) murders.

Not that there's anything morally right about that, but think about the serial killers of our day. Ted Bundy, Ed Gein, John Wayne Gacy, Jeffrey Dahmer, etc.--all of them outdid Jack the Ripper, committing two, three, five, even ten times the number of murders.

And these are just the people who committed murders one at a time... saying nothing of the dictator-types who starved or killed millions.
“I let out a battle cry. Sure, a lot of people might have mistaken it for a sudden yelp of unmanly fear, but trust me. It was a battle cry.”
― Harry Dresden
ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

Probably part of the Jack the Ripper mystique is the fact that he openly taunted the world. Modern serial murderers only survive by their anonymity - they are as wolves in sheep's clothing. But Saucy Jack was a completly different animal - he taunted society, dared the law to stop him, and got away scot-free. He might not have racked up a high bodycount, but he did something more powerful - he attacked the sense of security that is so critical for civilization.

Perhaps its best that the Ripper never be portrayed as a vampire, or someother monster. To writeoff his murders as simple and base hunger would be to undermine the devastating effect he had on civilization.
Evil Reigns!!!!
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

I wasn't impressed with how the Ripper was handled in the original Masque box.

It seemed too important to the author that everything had to take place in America, not leave the Ripper in Britain. And the evil-ghost-wife-thing never sat well with me.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

Nor I. It seemed like to much of a cop-out.

Red Jack had nothing to do with Jack the Ripper except for the word Jack.
A much better idea for an adventure would have been a detailed map of London and a list of characters who could either be suspects, victims, witnesses, or impediments to the investigation.
Evil Reigns!!!!
Blake_Alexander
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Blake_Alexander »

I have to echo the last two comment, Red Jack would have been an decent adventure if it had not been connected to Jack the Ripper. Had it been presented as such I might have even used it in one of my campaigns...but as it stands now, in the present form, the thought hasn't even crossed my mind. I have to much respect for the actual mystery surrounding Jack the Ripper. Such a well known historical figure deserves a better storyline in MotRD. Especially given the wealth of information available about the crimes and their victims.
Dr Bloodworth
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Dr Bloodworth »

Anyone doing a horror version of Jack The Ripper would do well to pay attention to the appendices to From Hell...
Better to betray the world, than for the world to betray me.