PCs getting ability scores

Discussing all things Ravenloft
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

I prefer the point system, I use to get very low numbers in dice, so... it's quite a necessity for me! :wink:
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
Snake
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Snake »

tec-goblin wrote:We use another method in our campaign, which most players loved: it enhances original characters: roll 4d6 for each ability score, leaving out the lowest. Then you have a re-roll and a swapping.
In general it remains playable and creates some funny things like a strong noble or a dexterous cleric, which create quite interesting variations from the classic stereotypes.
Ideas like this I like. It seems workable, I just fear the PCs getting extremely low stats.
Forgotten Son of Lord Vasili
tec-goblin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tec-goblin »

Snake wrote:
tec-goblin wrote:We use another method in our campaign, which most players loved: it enhances original characters: roll 4d6 for each ability score, leaving out the lowest. Then you have a re-roll and a swapping.
In general it remains playable and creates some funny things like a strong noble or a dexterous cleric, which create quite interesting variations from the classic stereotypes.
Ideas like this I like. It seems workable, I just fear the PCs getting extremely low stats.
Actually, the one reroll gives them slightly better stats than the average PC. The average total modifier is +8, but they just have it splitted in a bit unconventional ways.
BEAUTIFUL IS!
CHAOS
too DIM MJLTIVERSE
IS TO NOTICE
MOST THE OF.
Snake
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Snake »

Looks good, I may try something like this. So you had them roll for strength, and then Dexterity, and so on?
tec-goblin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tec-goblin »

Snake wrote:Looks good, I may try something like this. So you had them roll for strength, and then Dexterity, and so on?
Yes, it's the variant 5 on page 169 of DMG 3.5 - "organic characters"
BEAUTIFUL IS!
CHAOS
too DIM MJLTIVERSE
IS TO NOTICE
MOST THE OF.
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

Other ability score methods I have used....

1. Each ability score stars as 10, roll 6d6 and distribute the total however you plese among the abilities.

2. Each ability score starts as 10, you have 25 ability points to distribute however you please among them.

3. From 2E. You start with the ability scores of 16, 14, 14, 11, 10, 8. Apply them to however you please. Roll 3d6 and apply these additional points to whatever scores you please, though a score of 16+ require 2 points to increase a whole point.

At the end of the day I kept the one I currently use as it has proved to be the favourite with myself and most of the players I have DM'd.
Swallow your soul!
Ultramyth
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Ultramyth »

In my current campaign, four of my players roleplayed themselves, from the real world.

This was a bit of a challenge, because I didn't want to make the rules complex by using both d20 modern and d20 fantasy rulesets.

I think I was too generous with assigning abilties (they should probably have been 2 points lower for mental abilities, but I've always been to generous with abilities as a DM.

For real world knowledge that applies in ravenloft, I simply apply a synergy bonus.

Strength I based on how much they could lift.

Dexterity was based on reflex and prowess.

Constitution was based on running or swimming endurance

Intelligence was based on IQ

Wisdom based on common sense

and Charisma based on personality, friends and how they get along with other people.

It wasn't a perfect system. But it was interesting.
Reginald de Curry
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Reginald de Curry »

Those with a Tarokka deck might like this one:

Separate the high deck and low deck (just a reminder: the low deck has numbers, the high deck doesn't).

Draw twelve cards from the low deck. Assign two cards to each ability score (add the values together to determine the score).

Gamble with the high deck. Wager a number of points from each ability score (you can wager zero if you want). You can't wager more points than you have in each score, and you have to have at least one point left if you lose. For each wager (up to six), draw one card from the high deck. If it's standard (right-side-up), add your wager to the ability score; if it's reversed (upside-down), subtract your wager from the ability score. You may only gamble once with each ability score.
Pinky! Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

I think so, Brain, but didn't we give up ritual murder for Lent?
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

The Tarokka ability score generator is pretty nifty, I'll have a go at that later on, I'll break open the old Red Box again and play about with some character sheets and see what I get ;)
3. From 2E. You start with the ability scores of 16, 14, 14, 11, 10, 8. Apply them to however you please. Roll 3d6 and apply these additional points to whatever scores you please, though a score of 16+ require 2 points to increase a whole point.
I know I am quoting myself, I just forgot somethign when I typed it, lol.

Warrior classes had access to Exceptional Strength, to gain this, a fighter would warrior would have to raise his strength to 18 and then pay an additional 2 points for each slot of exceptional strength.
Swallow your soul!
Reginald de Curry
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Reginald de Curry »

If you're using the old 2E Tarokka Deck, remember that the master cards equal ten (the Warrior, the Priest, the Wizard, the Rogue), as they do with the new 3E deck.
Pinky! Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

I think so, Brain, but didn't we give up ritual murder for Lent?
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Thanks for that Reg, I didn't get round to having a go last night and I probably won't tonight either, but I will soon. It's somehting that I just have to have a go at.
Swallow your soul!
Snake
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Snake »

I think what we finally settled on was:
Roll 4d6 six times, reroll ones, and you get one all out reroll. After you roll all the stats, you decide where to put the stats.
tec-goblin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tec-goblin »

Snake wrote:I think what we finally settled on was:
Roll 4d6 six times, reroll ones, and you get one all out reroll. After you roll all the stats, you decide where to put the stats.
This is classic ultra-powerfull character generation - many people I know use it. Some also use 5d6 - keep the 3 (without rerolling ones)
BEAUTIFUL IS!
CHAOS
too DIM MJLTIVERSE
IS TO NOTICE
MOST THE OF.
Snake
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Snake »

Yes with it the PCs will be more powerful than otherwise, but, I'll deal with it.
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

I just remembered that in my last campaigns I tell to my brother the stats I want and we make a deal. I don't ask high ability scores, just the normal, so we can both enjoy playing. So we don't loose precious time to reroll 1000 times or to discuss and count points. I prefer this system. :wink:
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!