The Village

Discussing Masque of the Red Death
Snake
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

The Village

Post by Snake »

I know this movie has been out awhile, but I was wondering, since I have not yet seen it, what people thought of it.
Forgotten Son of Lord Vasili
ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

Me, I loved it. It was easily one of the best movies I have ever seen. Naturally, this kind of period horror is the genre that really turns my crank, so maybe I'm biased. Nonetheless, it was a great movie that had me, and the audiance, jumping.

I think that The Village is one of the most Ravenloftian movies of all time. It easily embodies the life of the common folk of the demiplane. As far as Gothic Earth is concerned, the Village has a little less impact, though the movie might describe backwoodsy folk of isolated areas.
Evil Reigns!!!!
daffy72
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by daffy72 »

hi Snake
this actually has nothing to do with the movie the village but with the image in your signature

are you interested in doing Ravenloft in the NWN setting?
are you part of the Ravenloft PW or a free agent?

If you are a free agent, are you familar with my group- RLCore?
we have been working the last 18 months converting NWN to the Demi plane of Dread setting and are close to launch.
You can join our guild at:
http://nwn.bioware.com/guilds_registry/ ... l?gid=3369

anyway just wanted to pass on the info since i saw that image.
~andrew
RLCore - A Ravenloft campaign setting for Neverwinter Nights

Athena Virtual Productions, Inc.
www.AtlasEditor.com
Snake
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Snake »

Definetly interested, I'll PM you with some questions Daffy; thanks. Also, I recently just saw this thread in another board by you SCS, so I appologize for posting it twice, thank you for the info though. Knowing that, I am really interested in watching the movie.
ScS of the Fraternity

Interested in watching the movie?

As in "Haven't already seen it?"

Bah! I command you to see the Village now!
Evil Reigns!!!!
Snake
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Snake »

Interested in seeing the movie and helping out Daffy.
YokoburiKinura
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by YokoburiKinura »

Finally got to see it this evening. Another Shayalaman movie for me to love.

Too tired to do spoiler tags right now, so I'll just say that concepts like the isolation, the society built on silence, the 'truce' and the closely-kept perimeter, and the concept of love and pure hearts being things the darkness can't overcome are all great concepts (especially if we're talking about what can be mined for a RL game).
Dr Bloodworth
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Dr Bloodworth »

I could see it in PA, but not the region near Philadelphia. I could definitely see it upstate somewhere, though.
Better to betray the world, than for the world to betray me.
volksfrei

Post by volksfrei »

I liked it, but to add something (not necessarily bad) I would like to say that I thought the ending was stereotypical Shyamalan. Not that that's bad, heck it's better then a Spielberg or Stone ending. Anyways, I went to see it just cause I'm an Adrien Brody fan, but I really liked it, one of the bettter movies this year.

Post by Guest »

Very good movie, if a bit predecible... but yes i think it get into the feeling of Ravenloft and Gothic Earth.

Montalve
Catman Jim
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Catman Jim »

So I'm alone in disliking The Village? I was enjoying it just fine up until the ending. I felt so ripped off, as if the movie was all atmosphere without any real substance to it. Maybe that is the reaction MNS wanted us to have, but I just felt p**sed and would never care to see it again.
I only wish I had retired sooner!
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

No, I hated it too.
The last five minutes were total <bad word I cannot say in possibly mixed company>. As great as the directing and mood and environment was that 'twist' killed it.
The plot holes, the unresolved mysteries and general obvious predictable plot twist made it painful. I loved it up until then and enjoyed all his previous movies, even the much maligned Signs. Which makes it all that much harder to completely pan that movie.

After all that build up, that suspense over the 'others' do you what would have been better? ANYTHING!

I always advise people watching it to stop when whatshername plays the 'game' in the woods and then make up their own ending from there. Some little twist as to why the truce was broken.
ScS of the Fraternity

Bah! Blasphemy!

I shall someone the "One's who Watch" to take you both away.
Evil Reigns!!!!
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

I liked the Village, I even liked the twist, but it's not a patch on "The Others" with Nicole Kidman.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Watched it tonight. Very interesting for the atmosphere. Worth watching for Ravenloft DMs.

The end twist (which I'm not going to say for those who haven't seen it) is quite weird but impressive, IMHO. It was a good movie idea. I was wondering why they send the blind girl, but in the end, it makes sense :)

Joël