Ways of Getting Around Canon...

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Jeremy16
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Ways of Getting Around Canon...

Post by Jeremy16 »

I'm attempting to write up several new NPC profiles (for a future QTR article, hopefully) and have come across several concepts from Ravenloft canon that are giving me headaches. Specifically, I'm struggling with things like Vlad Drakov's penchant for branding his falcon symbol on all the inhabitants of his domain and Darkon's memory draining mechanism for visitors.

I'm tempted to just ignore the stuff I don't like just to get on with the characters' backstories, but was wondering if any other DMs have dealt with this same thing and would like to share their knowledge on how they may have reconciled these issues in their own games.

For instance, I have a character that moves to Darkon but I want her to keep her memories of her former life, just because it makes the narraive flow better. And I have another character that I want to serve as a spy for Azalin in Drakov's army, but also want him to be able to move about in public without immediately being scene as a bad guy. (After all, what's the point of being a spy if you stick out like a sore thumb?)
Speedwagon
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Ways of Getting Around Canon...

Post by Speedwagon »

Jeremy16 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:16 am I'm attempting to write up several new NPC profiles (for a future QTR article, hopefully) and have come across several concepts from Ravenloft canon that are giving me headaches. Specifically, I'm struggling with things like Vlad Drakov's penchant for branding his falcon symbol on all the inhabitants of his domain and Darkon's memory draining mechanism for visitors.

I'm tempted to just ignore the stuff I don't like just to get on with the characters' backstories, but was wondering if any other DMs have dealt with this same thing and would like to share their knowledge on how they may have reconciled these issues in their own games.

For instance, I have a character that moves to Darkon but I want her to keep her memories of her former life, just because it makes the narraive flow better. And I have another character that I want to serve as a spy for Azalin in Drakov's army, but also want him to be able to move about in public without immediately being scene as a bad guy. (After all, what's the point of being a spy if you stick out like a sore thumb?)
I can get why those canonical details would be a problem, yeah. Especially since they’re the more controversial canonical details that I’ve seen people cut.

Perhaps, instead of outright cutting them (though I wouldn’t blame you), you could try and “water down” these details? Instead of every Falkovnian citizen having the brand on their forehead, it’s just somewhere on their bodies instead, allowing for easier time infiltrating. That or you could say that they joined the Ministry of Intelligence and had their brand removed in order to be spies in other nations (cuz Drakov can’t be that stupid, let’s give him some credit). In the case of Darkon, perhaps they had some inkling of the claiming mechanic beforehand and had a charm or talisman that prevented that? Or maybe you can “water down” the claiming to take place over the course of a year instead of 1d3 months. For both approaches I’ve used them in my games and it’s been pretty good—the reveal of the Falkovnian brand in one tense moment and the enjoyment of Darkon by my PCs has been worth it!
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

For Falkovnia, I go with just the Talons having the brand and officials.
However, I have Falkovnia literally ran by the Talons. I.e. it is a junta. Judges, administrators etc are all military people of rank. The Talons are the elite branch that controls many of the positions.

For Darkon... I have had the same issue. I have tried many things.
The simpler one is "The memory swap doesn't work on your character."
"Why?"
evil laugh... <=== it never came down to me explaining it. I was torn between "her char is a construct" to "her char memories are already swapped and she doesn't remember!"

Another time I had Azalin allow the characters to keep their memories as part of one of his plots. Eventually (at quite high level) they realized that all this time there was a damocles sword over their heads and that should they fail on a task / series of tasks they didn't even know about they would lose their memories. Forget loved ones. Forget their victories and their defeats. Forget friends and country. Start talking to empty graves thinking their parents are there.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

Only Talons and enlisted soldiers have the brand in my Falkovnia, and Memory drainingis a specific ability of Azalin that does not wprks atomathically.
Strahdsbuddy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Strahdsbuddy »

Azalin could be behind getting around both of these. He can--and has--choose not to inscribe memories for any individual as he sees fit. It would be quite a storyline to follow why he chose to leave someone's memories intact.

Also spying for Azalin or Darkon as a whole has the advantage of magical aid most domains do not enjoy. Falkovnia's ministry of the Arcane would be light-years behind Darkon's magical abilities to mask identities. In fact a simple cantrip could replicate the hawk brand for normal activity around the border, and who is going to have Dispel Magic handy to check?

The nice thing about fanfic, which is really what QtR is, is working inside the confines of the setting. Look at these restrictions as a puzzle rather than an obstacle. I've thrown out plenty of things in my own canon, but not without trying to make sense of it inside the confines of our beloved setting's own guidelines.
Get the Core Genesis Project V4 in the Mausoleum.

Check out the Ravenloft Cartographic Society on Facebook
Igor the Henchman
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Igor the Henchman »

If you want to remain consistent with 2E canon, you'll need 1) a reason for Azalin to strike the immigrant character's name from the Book of Names (for all we know it's something he might do quite often; canon sources don't say one way or the other) and 2) a way for the spy character to fake a falkovnian brand using magic or a mundane disguise kit.

Alternatively, you could just decide to not let canon stand in the way of fun.
Speedwagon wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:30 pm cuz Drakov can’t be that stupid, let’s give him some credit
Never! :)
Lord_Pruitt
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Lord_Pruitt »

For Darkon's memory wipe, just have the NPC go out of the country on a regular basis every couple of weeks - perhaps because of their job or family.

For Falcon's Brand, perhaps they use a simple cantrip, or just simple make-up, to cover the brand whilst spying or whatever out of country.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Speedwagon wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:30 pm cuz Drakov can’t be that stupid, let’s give him some credit
In my opinion, it is more about control than stupidity. No, those people that want to prove their worth to the all-fabulous Drakov should find ways to work around the brand. No exceptions just for convenience. Either they are worth their salt, or they die screaming.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

Would it possible for the foreigner to Darkon to have been born in Darkon but raised elsewhere, thereby being immune to Darkon's memory wipes but still be for all other intents and purposes be a foreigner?
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

The Lesser Evil wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:54 pm Would it possible for the foreigner to Darkon to have been born in Darkon but raised elsewhere, thereby being immune to Darkon's memory wipes but still be for all other intents and purposes be a foreigner?
I think so.
My DMGuild work!
Jeremy16
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jeremy16 »

Strahdsbuddy wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:52 pm Also spying for Azalin or Darkon as a whole has the advantage of magical aid most domains do not enjoy. Falkovnia's ministry of the Arcane would be light-years behind Darkon's magical abilities to mask identities. In fact a simple cantrip could replicate the hawk brand for normal activity around the border, and who is going to have Dispel Magic handy to check?
I agree with this. My workaround is to have Azalin give my NPC a simple charm that can make the brand appear or disappear at will. I was toying with the idea of making it appear only while within the borders of Falkovnia but disappear if he visits other domains. The trouble is, I want this guy to be recognizable as a Falkovnia by others (since I want him to be somewhat intimidating), but also have the option to be stealthy when necessary.
Strahdsbuddy wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:52 pm The nice thing about fanfic, which is really what QtR is, is working inside the confines of the setting. Look at these restrictions as a puzzle rather than an obstacle. I've thrown out plenty of things in my own canon, but not without trying to make sense of it inside the confines of our beloved setting's own guidelines.
I agree with this sentiment, as well, which is why I didn't just bypass these issues completely. It's fun trying to make things fit the strictures of canon while also making something unique and of your own creation.
Jeremy16
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jeremy16 »

Lord_Pruitt wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:36 am For Darkon's memory wipe, just have the NPC go out of the country on a regular basis every couple of weeks - perhaps because of their job or family.
This could actually work, as I am envisioning this particular NPC as a guest lecturer for colleges and universities throughout the Core.

Along the same line, a further complication is that their Darkon residency will coincide with the Grim Harvest and the domain's transformation into Necropolis circa 750 BC. Was the memory drain still in effect while Death was the darklord?
IanFordam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by IanFordam »

Speedwagon wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:30 pm In the case of Darkon, perhaps they had some inkling of the claiming mechanic beforehand and had a charm or talisman that prevented that?
Just for the record, I really like the idea of a talisman that delays the memory-rewrite effect. Especially if it gives warning as its protection starts to fade, I could see such an item ramping up the tension of visiting Darkon.
alhoon wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:02 pm
The Lesser Evil wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:54 pm Would it possible for the foreigner to Darkon to have been born in Darkon but raised elsewhere, thereby being immune to Darkon's memory wipes but still be for all other intents and purposes be a foreigner?
I think so.
I agree, for what it's worth. You can't use this loophole too many times, but I think it's a good one to have available.
Jeremy16 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:59 am
Strahdsbuddy wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:52 pm Also spying for Azalin or Darkon as a whole has the advantage of magical aid most domains do not enjoy. Falkovnia's ministry of the Arcane would be light-years behind Darkon's magical abilities to mask identities. In fact a simple cantrip could replicate the hawk brand for normal activity around the border, and who is going to have Dispel Magic handy to check?
I agree with this. My workaround is to have Azalin give my NPC a simple charm that can make the brand appear or disappear at will. I was toying with the idea of making it appear only while within the borders of Falkovnia but disappear if he visits other domains. The trouble is, I want this guy to be recognizable as a Falkovnia by others (since I want him to be somewhat intimidating), but also have the option to be stealthy when necessary.
What if the Ministry of the Arcane has come up with magical make-up? I'm imagining a big reveal when the secretly-Falkovnian villain gets caught in a rainstorm which washes away the concealer.
Jeremy16 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:59 am
Strahdsbuddy wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:52 pm The nice thing about fanfic, which is really what QtR is, is working inside the confines of the setting. Look at these restrictions as a puzzle rather than an obstacle. I've thrown out plenty of things in my own canon, but not without trying to make sense of it inside the confines of our beloved setting's own guidelines.
I agree with this sentiment, as well, which is why I didn't just bypass these issues completely. It's fun trying to make things fit the strictures of canon while also making something unique and of your own creation.
You've also captured my approach quite nicely. :mrgreen:
Jeremy16 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:03 am
Lord_Pruitt wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:36 am For Darkon's memory wipe, just have the NPC go out of the country on a regular basis every couple of weeks - perhaps because of their job or family.
This could actually work, as I am envisioning this particular NPC as a guest lecturer for colleges and universities throughout the Core.

Along the same line, a further complication is that their Darkon residency will coincide with the Grim Harvest and the domain's transformation into Necropolis circa 750 BC. Was the memory drain still in effect while Death was the darklord?
Domains of Dread p.34 indicates that it is. However, I must confess that you would have no trouble convincing me that the effect was disrupted immediately following the Requiem.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

As for not using the "born in Darkon, taken away as a baby" loophole that can't be used often:
As long as you use it for a different campaign each time, I don't see the problem.
My DMGuild work!
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

I find easier to change something which make few sense for me. No authomatic memory changing it is something Azalin needs to do on purpose.