Happy New Year

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Happy New Year

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

May 2024 be a better year for those of good intent.
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Happy New Year

Post by Mistmaster »

Happy new year.
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

Rock of the Fraternity wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:09 pm May 2024 be a better year for those of good intent.
I actually like this wish, hoorah!
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Same here! Peace on Earth, at last…
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Wolfglide of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Wolfglide of the Fraternity »

Happy New Year!
IanFordam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by IanFordam »

Happy New Year, everyone!
KingCorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by KingCorn »

My new years resolution is to finish and clean up that record of Raveloft Product quotes (the thematic ones that appeared in the preface of chapters) before January is over.
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Here is a present from me...

An image that can be used as an illustration for Sir Armand Ironhand's The Beast of Ehrendton, a tragic saga describing his encounter with the Black Duke.

G. Woolliscroft Rhead, from The pilgrim’s progress from this world to that which is to come, by John Bunyan, New York, 1898.
KingCorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by KingCorn »

Awesome! If its one of yours, it shows your range of art styles. You have done the older and later Ravenloft Artstyles (VRG vs. Compendiums/CotN), recreations of classic paintings, coats-of-arms, and now reinassance/medeval art-work.
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

KingCorn wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:46 pm Awesome! If its one of yours, it shows your range of art styles. You have done the older and later Ravenloft Artstyles (VRG vs. Compendiums/CotN), recreations of classic paintings, coats-of-arms, and now reinassance/medeval art-work.
Nope, its G. Woolliscroft Rhea's 19th century painter and illustrator (see description above), a central figure of the English Arts and Crafts Movement that arose from the Pre-Raphaelites. But I do make renaissance /medieval artwork too.

The Pilgrim's Progress from This World, to That Which Is to Come is a 1678 Christian allegory written by John Bunyan. It is regarded as one of the most significant works of theological fiction in English literature and a progenitor of the narrative aspect of Christian media. The entire book is presented as a dream sequence narrated by an omniscient narrator.

The allegory's protagonist, Christian, is an everyman character, and the plot centres on his journey from his hometown, the "City of Destruction" to the "Celestial City".

Pizza
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Pizza »

Happy New Year!
Pizza
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Pizza »

Mephisto of the FoS wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:14 pm
KingCorn wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:46 pm Awesome! If its one of yours, it shows your range of art styles. You have done the older and later Ravenloft Artstyles (VRG vs. Compendiums/CotN), recreations of classic paintings, coats-of-arms, and now reinassance/medeval art-work.
Nope, its G. Woolliscroft Rhea's 19th century painter and illustrator (see description above), a central figure of the English Arts and Crafts Movement that arose from the Pre-Raphaelites. But I do make renaissance /medieval artwork too.

The Pilgrim's Progress from This World, to That Which Is to Come is a 1678 Christian allegory written by John Bunyan. It is regarded as one of the most significant works of theological fiction in English literature and a progenitor of the narrative aspect of Christian media. The entire book is presented as a dream sequence narrated by an omniscient narrator.

The allegory's protagonist, Christian, is an everyman character, and the plot centres on his journey from his hometown, the "City of Destruction" to the "Celestial City".

Imagine living in a place called the City of Destruction and not having the sense to leave. But I mean Bruce Wayne’s parents thought a shortcut down Murder Alley was an okay idea too. Hope I am spared from poor decisions.
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Αs I wrote it is an allegory, the "City of Destruction" is supposed to be "this world" (our world), and the "Celestial City" is "that which is to come" atop Mount Zion meaning Heaven. Don't forget this is a (Christian) theological fiction. But if we think how the world is (and is going to) we already live in the City of Destruction, we don't have to imagine much I guess. Talk about a downer :roll:

:D
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Mephisto of the FoS wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:27 pm Here is a present from me...

An image that can be used as an illustration for Sir Armand Ironhand's The Beast of Ehrendton, a tragic saga describing his encounter with the Black Duke.

G. Woolliscroft Rhead, from The pilgrim’s progress from this world to that which is to come, by John Bunyan, New York, 1898.
I can't believe I just saw that. This is absolutely great!
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Pizza
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Pizza »

For the last few years around this time people start taking about “Lunar New Year”. Now what they really mean is Chinese New Year which is indeed based on a lunar calendar, but it is just one of many, all with a different New Year’s Day usually.

Anyways is there more than one calendar in Ravenloft?