Marionettes maybe even evil, awakened marionettes
Carrionettes...
Oh snap! It just got real.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Re: What I would like to see in QtR#31

Post by alhoon »

I would like to see more support and love for D&D next, but the old school Ravenloft. Expanded mechanics for fear/horror/madness from the Out of the Abyss rules, bringing the domains in the 5th edition with darklords etc "Translated" to D&D next etc.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Speedwagon
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Speedwagon »

alhoon wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:01 pm I would like to see more support and love for D&D next, but the old school Ravenloft. Expanded mechanics for fear/horror/madness from the Out of the Abyss rules, bringing the domains in the 5th edition with darklords etc "Translated" to D&D next etc.
That would be nice, yeah. I operate on 5e mechanics myself and while there’s discussion to be had on if they’re the right rule set for Ravenloft or horror games in general, I’ve managed so far. I also have to credit Jester if the FoS’s DMsGuild products for their 5e conversions. But I agree with mixing old lore and new rules together!

EDIT: I forgot to mention your own work, alhoon! I bought the “Spells” product from you and didn’t realize it was you! Sorry I didn’t mention it before; they’ve been useful in my games.
Jeremy16
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jeremy16 »

Speedwagon wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:03 am
alhoon wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:01 pm I would like to see more support and love for D&D next, but the old school Ravenloft. Expanded mechanics for fear/horror/madness from the Out of the Abyss rules, bringing the domains in the 5th edition with darklords etc "Translated" to D&D next etc.
That would be nice, yeah. I operate on 5e mechanics myself and while there’s discussion to be had on if they’re the right rule set for Ravenloft or horror games in general, I’ve managed so far. I also have to credit Jester if the FoS’s DMsGuild products for their 5e conversions. But I agree with mixing old lore and new rules together!

EDIT: I forgot to mention your own work, alhoon! I bought the “Spells” product from you and didn’t realize it was you! Sorry I didn’t mention it before; they’ve been useful in my games.
This does bring up a point of interest for me. I've been flirting with the idea of finally converting fully to 5E (in terms of NPC stats) for future articles, but I have a feeling that most RL fans (myself included) are still using 3rd Edition. Would people prefer more updated stats for articles or does 3rd Edition still work for most? I obviously still love it, but wanted to know if I'm behind the curve or not. Time (and editiion updates) wait for no man, and I wouldn't want to be writing stats that no one can use...
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Jeremy16 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:47 am
Speedwagon wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:03 am
This does bring up a point of interest for me. I've been flirting with the idea of finally converting fully to 5E (in terms of NPC stats) for future articles, but I have a feeling that most RL fans (myself included) are still using 3rd Edition. Would people prefer more updated stats for articles or does 3rd Edition still work for most? I obviously still love it, but wanted to know if I'm behind the curve or not. Time (and editiion updates) wait for no man, and I wouldn't want to be writing stats that no one can use...

I meant also more punishing mechanics. I use a kiiind of more powerful curse for my non-Ravenloft game (And I use self-bestowed-curses = Power checks) but they receive mixed reception.

I have also used, to bad reception, a much milder form of permanent energy drain. It is one dagger that does permanent hp damage with energy drain. I have used those for the Ebon Shroud in Death Unchained.
The dagger does +2d6 energy drain, 2 points of which are permanent loss, unless you receive a greater restoration spell. Man, I didn't hear the end of this...
From people that played 2nd edition and 3rd edition before. From a player that when he was DM he was using wraiths and other energy drainers. Back when it was an entire level lost on a single dice roll.

Speedwagon wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:03 am EDIT: I forgot to mention your own work, alhoon! I bought the “Spells” product from you and didn’t realize it was you! Sorry I didn’t mention it before; they’ve been useful in my games.
Thank you but that is an oooold product. I still use those spells but I have more.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Pizza
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Pizza »

The talk of spells made me wonder if researching spells might be more difficult or even dangerous in Ravenloft than other places.

And that got me to wondering if maybe someone who gets stuck in Ravenloft from outside has ever tried building some sort of device, a divine antenna if you will, to contact their deity on a more regular basis and what risks or plot hooks might obtain to using or controlling it.
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

Pizza wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:38 pm The talk of spells made me wonder if researching spells might be more difficult or even dangerous in Ravenloft than other places.
I imagine it'd be especially dangerous for evil-aligned spellcasters, as they'd risk Powers Checks even during the development process. As for difficult; if the Dark Powers think it'd be hilarious if a certain spell were released into their playground, they might actually make it easier to create them.
Pizza wrote:And that got me to wondering if maybe someone who gets stuck in Ravenloft from outside has ever tried building some sort of device, a divine antenna if you will, to contact their deity on a more regular basis and what risks or plot hooks might obtain to using or controlling it.
Hmmm...! That sounds intriguing. I'm not sure it's been done -- yet.
KingCorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by KingCorn »

I'd like to see a new Races of the Mist article either for Wolfweres, Goblyns, or Kobolds.
Goblins or Kobolds could infact be their own shared article since they are so similar in certain cultures (I believe Kobolds where originally in germany folklore a type of faries with shapeshifting powers which lived underground)
I know they're evil, but so is the Paka (mostly) and that Guide of Umbral Peoples had alot of other monster races so I'm sure its viabale.