Quoth the Raven #30 reaction thread.

Discussing all things Ravenloft
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Re: Quoth the Raven #30 reaction thread.

Post by alhoon »

I have not read QtR 30 yet as it is HUGE but I am grateful for all the people that put so much work for it to happen. I am also positive that there will be many parts that I will find informative or interesting to adapt to my 5e games. I don't agree with all approaches, but I do like the direction the netzine is taking.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Baron Von Stanton
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Baron Von Stanton »

Rock of the Fraternity wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:35 pm Larva & Satyral:

I want to like these stories better.
Stanton shows a spritely, lively writing style, and paints a vivid scene. Sounds, sights and scents virtually leap off the page.

Unfortunately Satyral left me confused.
VIEW CONTENT:
Is there a time loop in effect at the end?
What happened to the MC's father? His family? His life? When did he become what he is?
Satyral is one part of a multipart story, with each of the first three parts being told from a different character's POV. We'll find out what happened to the father once I finish writing the father's POV story. And no, it's not a time loop, but a case of mistaken identity.
Rock of the Fraternity wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:35 pm And Larva seemed to be building up to ... something ... but it never quite got there. And I'm still not sure how the MC became what he is.
To be completely honest, the ending is the way it is because I was in a rush to end the story, and my intent for the story was "a series of life-slices of a man who periodically turns into a monster." Once I get over my writer/muse fatigue about Larva, I may rewrite the end or start another more focused story either where the reader finds exactly how the MC got the way he is, or has a more defined plot with an end goal.
Rock of the Fraternity wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:35 pm In the end, though I really do like Stanton's writing style, his stories leave me scratching my head in confusion. Which is not a bad thing in and of itself, but it feels like a shame that you leave so much unexplained.
Partly because everything is a work in progress, and partly because I like making pits of quicksand filled with big, shiny diamonds just out of reach.
Jeremy16
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jeremy16 »

Thanks to everyone for all the high praise. I really appreciate it. I'm glad my small contributions to the setting have proven both fun and useful to others. Ultimately, this is a group effort and this community is extremely blessed with a lot of talented and passionate people. I'd like to thank the members of the fraternity for all the behind-the-scenes work they have put in editing and formatting everything for our perusal. I'm only a few articles in so far, but it looks wonderful. Good job, guys!
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

DID I OR DID i NOT TELL YOU THAT 'Codename Requiem -The Strange Fate of Gunnison, Colorado 2004 (Aliens vs. Predator - Requiem) ' WAS TO BE CREDITED TO M. T. KELLY?!!
https://fraternityofshadows.com/forum/v ... il#p253367
Do us a favor Luv, Stick yer 'ead in a bucket a kick it!

So, gentlemen, that's how it is. Until Grissome.... resurfaces, I'm the acting president, and I say starting with this... anniversary festival, we run this city into the ground! :D
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

So you did; apologies for the oversight.
I have already made changes in the Mistipedia article. We'll make the change to the index and title when we can.
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

Finally I had the time to read it thoroughtly, and I did enjoy what I have read.

2ed stats are not my cup of tea but Ian Work will be a base for me to work on when, soon or later I will have to write Pharazia, and G'henna for the Mistworld. My only complain with this two, @IanFordam, is that I greatly prefer the dichotomy Devourer/Provider. I will have to rebuild the Provider's clergy by scratch. I also greatly like the Tibetan -like G'henna in Quote the Raven more than canon. Sanguinia on the other hand is quite far from my cup of tea, as I envision the punishment fitting a careless ruler being to be actually forced to provide for your people. But there are a lot of things I can borrow like locations and npc so still a win.
Phantasmal forrest and Vorstokov while too canon abiding for my taste are both interesting and full of things I will surely utilize for my Nidala and my Vorostokov.My compliments to Speedwagon. Now I appreciated very much Chibiloft and its first horizontal plot. I liked very much Conquista ( more then Lillend, which was nice, but less in my chords) Rock never disappoint me, but since you are the only other author to publish thing in PF 1 here you could give feedback to a fellow PF1 author now couldn't you? You are basically the only one here who I know for sure can give me feedback on crunch. About the various adventures, stories and arts I compliment all the authors. Apocaloft was really nice too,Man of Evil. And kudos to Ian's idea of communication. I appreciated also all the various works by Mephisto, Wolfglide and Jeremy16. I hope you all enjoyed my work as I enjoyed your.
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Manofevil wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:37 am DID I OR DID i NOT TELL YOU THAT 'Codename Requiem -The Strange Fate of Gunnison, Colorado 2004 (Aliens vs. Predator - Requiem) ' WAS TO BE CREDITED TO M. T. KELLY?!!
https://fraternityofshadows.com/forum/v ... il#p253367
With that shouting, now it is well known.
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Speedwagon
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Speedwagon »

Mistmaster wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:51 am Finally I had the time to read it thoroughtly, and I did enjoy what I have read.

2ed stats are not my cup of tea but Ian Work will be a base for me to work on when, soon or later I will have to write Pharazia, and G'henna for the Mistworld. My only complain with this two, @IanFordam, is that I greatly prefer the dichotomy Devourer/Provider. I will have to rebuild the Provider's clergy by scratch. I also greatly like the Tibetan -like G'henna in Quote the Raven more than canon. Sanguinia on the other hand is quite far from my cup of tea, as I envision the punishment fitting a careless ruler being to be actually forced to provide for your people. But there are a lot of things I can borrow like locations and npc so still a win.
Phantasmal forrest and Vorstokov while too canon abiding for my taste are both interesting and full of things I will surely utilize for my Nidala and my Vorostokov.My compliments to Speedwagon. Now I appreciated very much Chibiloft and its first horizontal plot. I liked very much Conquista ( more then Lillend, which was nice, but less in my chords) Rock never disappoint me, but since you are the only other author to publish thing in PF 1 here you could give feedback to a fellow PF1 author now couldn't you? You are basically the only one here who I know for sure can give me feedback on crunch. About the various adventures, stories and arts I compliment all the authors. Apocaloft was really nice too,Man of Evil. And kudos to Ian's idea of communication. I appreciated also all the various works by Mephisto, Wolfglide and Jeremy16. I hope you all enjoyed my work as I enjoyed your.
Thanks Mistmaster! While we have different approaches, I do appreciate the work of your Mistworld and am honored that you find some things in my work worth plundering for your own purposes. Your "Famed and Infamous" NPC write-ups and the plot hooks within are cool and your history section really shows a lot of thought put into it, and that goes for all of your work (since you submitted Tepest and Blaustein, I'll go into more detail on those when I have more free time later).
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

Tepest, land of fairytales and folklore:

Mistmaster continues to show his ongoing passion for his Mistworld project.
The fairytale theme is strong with this Gazetteer's cast of characters, with Darklady Grimhilde recognizable as a blend of Maleficent and Cinderella, rather than a pure expy of the evil queen, which I thought was a clever twist.
The Shrek-reference, however, was not my cup of tea.
For the record, the crunch looks fine. I'd personally have made Grimhilde a bit weaker or provided some way of combating her, but that's me.
I was unfamiliar with the Mirror Witch archetype, and it's an interesting find! Well done.
The Golden Apple seems like a particularly frightening possibility. I wonder what keeps the hags united. Even with Grimhilde at the helm, I'd expect some of the members to either jockey for advancement or else slink off to set up their own little fiefdoms. What are the group's benefits like, for them to stick together?
Re-casting the Sisters Mindefisk is a surprising choice. What brought that on?
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

Rock of the Fraternity wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:10 pm Tepest, land of fairytales and folklore:

Mistmaster continues to show his ongoing passion for his Mistworld project.
The fairytale theme is strong with this Gazetteer's cast of characters, with Darklady Grimhilde recognizable as a blend of Maleficent and Cinderella, rather than a pure expy of the evil queen, which I thought was a clever twist.
The Shrek-reference, however, was not my cup of tea.
For the record, the crunch looks fine. I'd personally have made Grimhilde a bit weaker or provided some way of combating her, but that's me.
I was unfamiliar with the Mirror Witch archetype, and it's an interesting find! Well done.
The Golden Apple seems like a particularly frightening possibility. I wonder what keeps the hags united. Even with Grimhilde at the helm, I'd expect some of the members to either jockey for advancement or else slink off to set up their own little fiefdoms. What are the group's benefits like, for them to stick together?
Re-casting the Sisters Mindefisk is a surprising choice. What brought that on?
Thanks. Shreck reference? The Puss in Boots was intended as a reference to the original fairy tail and Pero is japanese translitteration of Perrault.
The Mirror Witch was actually a find I made by chance during the revision. The decision to make the Three Sisters the light lords of the domain was a decision I took during the revision of whjat I had already published on the site. I realized that Snowwhite as the big good was forced, and the Sisters Mindfisk could work really better. Curiosity, many of the NPCs I added in the revision were used during a 3 years campaign I played in my Tepest. The sisters, I realized, were ideal as misterious and powerful sponsors and mentors making it easier for the PCs to be protagonists while a young powerful princess would have needed too much of a spotlight.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Mistmaster wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:59 am Also the Holy symbol of Fenris the Seawolf is a Bunyip silhouette even if a Bunyp in salopette is funnier.
I take partial responsibility for this one. I'm not sure how it was originally spelled, but spellcheck turned it to salopette, which was a word I didn't know. When I looked it up, I thought... well, that would be really odd looking, but I guess he's going for the sailor/fisherman connection? I guess, if that's what he wants, so be it... :) Will correct if we do another version.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
IanFordam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by IanFordam »

Mistmaster wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:51 am 2ed stats are not my cup of tea but Ian Work will be a base for me to work on when, soon or later I will have to write Pharazia, and G'henna for the Mistworld. My only complain with this two, @IanFordam, is that I greatly prefer the dichotomy Devourer/Provider. I will have to rebuild the Provider's clergy by scratch. I also greatly like the Tibetan -like G'henna in Quote the Raven more than canon. Sanguinia on the other hand is quite far from my cup of tea, as I envision the punishment fitting a careless ruler being to be actually forced to provide for your people. But there are a lot of things I can borrow like locations and npc so still a win.
You and I have different design approaches, of course, but that only makes it more satisfying when I create something which catches your interest despite those differences. Thanks for reading, and thanks for reviewing!
hidajiremi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by hidajiremi »

I'm both astounded and flattered to have been referenced in an article this issue. =D
"Children are innocent and love justice, while most adults are wicked and prefer mercy." G.K. Chesterton
Speedwagon
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Speedwagon »

hidajiremi wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:27 pm I'm both astounded and flattered to have been referenced in an article this issue. =D
You deserve the love, man! Your Ravenloft Reincarnated is something I really enjoy and look forward to when it gets updates, and I was appreciative that you liked my Phantasmal Forest ideas enough to contact me about it. I think giving you a shout-out is not just fair, but well-deserved!
Wolfglide of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Wolfglide of the Fraternity »

I have put up a thread for listing errata: viewtopic.php?t=11327
Rock of the Fraternity wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:37 pm From the Collection: Font of Mercurial Tears:

I'm already a Wolfglide fan, and the Font of Mercurial Tears is a prime example of his skills as both a creator of intriguing items and spinning tales that incorporate them. While this tale does not have the length of the Conferences of Victor Gagné, it is well worth reading in its own right.
I liked the wizard's comments a great deal.
Thank you! Since players so often experiment with the limits of magic items, I figured it would be fun to write a story from the perspective of an in-world scientist testing the capabilities of a supernatural device.