Quoth the Raven #30 reaction thread.

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Quoth the Raven #30 reaction thread.

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

IanFordam wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 4:59 pm Warntorn Gazetter Volume II: Conquista
Let me open by saying how hugely I appreciated this review. It's taken me a while before I could get around to replying to it, but I had a test to prep for. Je m'excuse. ^^;
IanFordam wrote:The first thing to note about this gazetteer is that it contains a lot. Three human ethnicities in conflict. Three gods and the Loa. Four sometimes-darklords. A whole slew of political parties. That complexity is both the strong point and the challenge to Conquista.
A lot, indeed. I did a lot of digging to make all of this stuff, and finishing the Conquista Gazetteer was a challenge.
IanFordam wrote:===== History

Here we meet the three tribes of Conquista and the dominant faith. We learn some false history. We learn of the rising of the Mists, although we receive no hint of the Darklord or his Act of Ultimate Darkness. And then we get history. Lots of history. Nearly thirty pages of history, including Dread Possibilities and other sidebars. I do think this section would have benefitted from subsection headings, just to break it apart slightly. Even without subsections, though, I still found it to be an interesting read. Much has happened in Conquista, some of it sounding alarmingly like the real world.
I'm glad you enjoyed it. ^_^ The horror of Conquista is a bit more 'real'-world than it is purely gothic, and I feel the lots of history reflects this. It's a complicated domain.
IanFordam wrote:However, the best part of this section was the "Politics and Hope" sidebar, which accomplishes two useful tasks. First, it describes why the lengthy history might matter in a Wartorn campaign. Second, it summarizes the various factions, their beliefs, and their interactions.
I realised while writing this complicated domain, with its history of bad decisions and calamities, that Conquista was in danger of becoming a hopeless slog. And that isn't the point. The point of a Ravenloft game (to me) is for heroes to face off against the darkness and make a difference, no matter how small or fleeting. "Politics and Hope" is one of the ways I sought to counteract this by pointing out where players could start to make a difference.
IanFordam wrote:===== Populace

The "Appearance" and "Fashion" subsections do their jobs nicely, but "Languages" is where the curveball gets pitched. I had not expected the tie-in to Souragne. I'm struck by the way that the Ulan look toward Souragne in much the same way some Souragniens look toward Liberté. Given this connection, the worship of the Loa (detailed later) makes sense when otherwise it might have seemed arbitrary.
While the Wartorn Cluster is an embuggerance to get to (the only two known Mistways require blood sacrifices for a start), I always meant for it to have connections to the rest of the Demiplane of Dread. For the Ulan, the link to Souragne seemed a natural fit, and I like the concept of the Loa. I liked the opportunity to spread their worship beyond the borders of Souragne.
IanFordam wrote:The inclusion of StØj and Tegensprog and the corresponding "The Drowning Path" dread possibility felt extraneous to me. However, based upon the reference to the Hengtland Cluster, these bits may well fit into the author's larger view of the Domain of Dread.
Something to look forward to in the future. ^_^ Although my article "Beardoom Hollow" here on the forum is set in the Hengtlund Cluster already, so ... there's that.
IanFordam wrote:By the time I finished this section, it had become quite clear that supernatural monsters are not the dominant source of evil in this domain. Despite the presence of changelings and fey and ogres and such, no, the people are the worst threat. (Much like G'Henna.)
Violence and intolerance towards the Other are important themes of Conquista (or they were to me, at least). For a time, the three tribes had a common foe so terrible that they had to either band together under the original Viejos Sagrados or perish. With that threat gone ...
IanFordam wrote:"Attitudes Toward Magic" is a deceptively short section, and it blends nicely with the similarly terse "Attitudes Toward Science". I really like the description of little magics, and by this time the author had convinced me that his inclusion of mobíla, black-oil, and the radió was all part of a well-considered integration of technology into the land.
Thank you. ^_^
IanFordam wrote:===== Landscape

I enjoyed Ciska's observations about the sometimes arbitrary nature of the Land of Mists. Sometimes a region is inhospitable because the Dark Powers have decreed that the region shall be inhospitable.
Glad you liked it! The supernatural effect governing the landscape are also there to remind players that although humanity is its own biggest threat in Conquista, this does not mean the supernatural is absent.
IanFordam wrote:I assume that the author's and/or the Dark Powers' intention behind the southernmost cantón is to provide a formidable barrier which the Masogani must cross before they can threaten the rest of Conquista. (And it also gives a place for Cliffton Willgoat to hang out, but I wouldn't think he would need a whole cantón for that.)
Not quite; it serves to foment internal conflict. Originally, Conquista was an Island of Terror; Masogan wasn't a problem. Making the southernmost cantón uninhabitable to all but a rabid Darklord serves the purpose of increasing inter-tribe tensions. The Casians hold the northernmost cantón, the Canana (grudgingly) live in the middle cantón, but there is no way the Ulan could survive in the southern cantón. This means they have to continue to live near the other two tribes, which causes friction.
IanFordam wrote:===== Religion

Here we find descriptions of Taiia, the Loa, Brightwell, and il Demonio. Taiia is exactly what she needs to be: powerful and intolerant, even in her more benign aspect. As I said before, the Loa fit because of the detail given to the Ulan, and I very much appreciate that the Ulan have their own Loa applicable to Conquista. I haven't read the Lilliend Gazetteer in probably five years, but plenty sufficient information is given here to understand how Brightwell and il Demonio are perceived by Conquistan worshippers.
Taiia is one of those interesting additions to 3X Deities & Demigods that I haven't seen used very widely. To my way of thinking, she makes a very nice fit for the Demiplane of Dread. As a sun goddess whose light burns away fog, she could give people hope and contrasts with Ezra. As a monotheistic deity whose church teaches that other gods are blasphemies and do not exist, she can foment conflict.
IanFordam wrote:===== Sites of Interest

Distributed among these sites is a surprising amount of narrative content (not to mention a description of the black-oil industry). That's not at all a bad thing, and in fact it helped this section read quickly. The real heart of the article occurs in "The Demon's Hollow". We get a more mechanical explanation later, but here we see what's truly happening in Conquista through Ciska's eyes. It's a good way to wrap up everything before the DM's Appendix.
Ciska's story is essential to the development of the Cluster (to me, at least). :wink: The narrative content, the development of her character arc, is going to be very important ... if I can swing it.
IanFordam wrote:I appreciate the inclusion of Alsem. While there is the "Twin Covens" dread possibility, Alsem is still the least sinister place among the Sites of Interest. Sometimes it's easy to forget to include places which PCs will want to help.
Alsem is another way I sought to prevent Conquista from becoming a hopeless slog. Gothic horror still needs little pinpricks of light, places where heroes can recover and regroup before riding off to fight the tides of darkness once again.
IanFordam wrote:===== DM's Appendix

The idea of four potential darklords competing for the position is a novel concept, and I like it. However, we do see many villainous sorts over the course of the gazetteer. What about these particular four people makes them suitable candidates? How did they figure out what to do to claim darklordship? Could others in the domain make the attempt? When a potential darklord fails to attain the title, how is their curse affected? Could they just... not participate in the future?
They could choose not to participate, and yes, that might cause them to eventually be disqualified from the Dread Election. But that might require them to want to relinquish power... which would be difficult for them to do. In a way, all four co-Darklords are obsessed with gaining control and the deep-rooted fear that they have none.
Cliffton Willgoat wants to be a "man among men", but is reduced to living like a wild beast. Euphonia Root's whole religious worldview was overturned, and she wants to drag her goddess to ultimate triumph. Sandra Williamson is used to being a witch queen, but her old certainties - family obeying her, magic elevating her - are being eroded as the world moves on around her. Fredewulf van Slecht feels incomplete, which makes him prey on other people's insecurities and weaknesses to shore up his self-image.
IanFordam wrote:===== Summary

As I said to begin with, there is a lot in this gazetteer, and I won't pretend that I have fully grasped the domain which it details. Nonetheless, the author himself clearly understands Conquista, and despite the length of this article he has presented a consistent view of it, not to mention some tantalizing peeks into the larger cluster. Rock has a vision, and I appreciate him sharing with us.
Thank you so much!
If you don't mind my asking, what did you think of the various Prestige classes in the DM's appendix, or the Viejos Sagrados-group?
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

test
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
IanFordam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by IanFordam »

Rock of the Fraternity wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:50 am If you don't mind my asking, what did you think of the various Prestige classes in the DM's appendix, or the Viejos Sagrados-group?
First of all, my apologies for taking so long to respond to your request. The end of the year was a mad scramble, and since then I've been sloughing along with Very Little Brain At All.

Because the 3rd Edition rule books had that horrible lined background behind the text, I've had great difficulty reading more than a page or two at a stretch. Moreover, since the time that I learned about Pathfinder, all I've been able to get my hands on are the shrunk-down softcover books with the microprint. As such I did not initially review anything from the Conquista DM's Appendix because I simply don't have the 3.x/PF knowledge to fully appreciate the crunch. Nonetheless, since you asked, I offer my impressions hoping that there's something of value to be found in them.

The Goatsman is an odd class, one which feels to me more like a monster template than a prestige class. However, I can wrap my head around it by thinking of it in the same light as the 5e warlock. Quite a few of the class abilities focus upon the Goatsman's familiar, and so I was a little surprised that neither Cliffton Willgoat's familiar nor Euphonia Root's receive more than passing mention. (I am also struck that the original Goatsman and original darklord, Cliffton Willgoat, has fewer Goatsman levels than Euphonia Root does.)

The Grabador and Hombre Valiante are the local spin on the rogue and fighter classes, and so their inclusion makes considerable sense to me. The Grabador's Rapid Writing class feature, while it is appropriate to the class, nonetheless feels underpowered for a 7th level feature. As for the Hombre Valiente, the Posse class feature jumps out at me. A Hombre Valiente isn't just formidable unto himself, but also for the support he can gather.

Given the high technology level of Conquista, the Technician class is a natural fit, especially if Hectór ever gets his own NPC write-up. I'm not partial to the Gadjet class feature, just because it feels too miraculous too early in the class progression. Otherwise, though, I like the class just fine.

Viejo Sagrado is the most complex of the prestige classes. Given its scholarly tradition and tiered initiation, though, that makes perfect sense to me. The requirement for alchemy or spellcasting (and the subsequent expansion of those abilities as part of the prestige class) fits well. Some addition musings:
  • I'm entertained by the need to have been published in order to advance to successive tiers.
  • The teacher's cane is a interesting feature, although it feels overpowered to me.
  • The references to Epimetheus and Prometheus come out of nowhere, and so I wonder where Titans fit into the Conquistan cultural mythology.
  • Do all Viejo Sagrados gain the Flames of Knowledge class feature, or only the CE sect?
  • Should Tenure be listed before Devour Knowledge since the latter depends upon the former?
Finally, the Wicked Witch felt out of place at first. I know that the prestige class is necessary for the builds of Sandra and Angela Williamson, so it's not really the concept that threw me but the name. When I see "Wicked Witch" I go straight to something more in line with Mistmaster's Tepest rewrite. Just as you have the Grabador and Hombre Valiente, perhaps a Spanish-derived name would be less distracting? However, if your intention is to reuse this class outside of a Conquista context (which is likely; I see nothing domain-specific in the write-up), then disregard this note.

(As a suspected errata: Should the "Special" column for LVL 1 include the "Wicked Might" feature?)

The class features appear appropriatedly witchy. I particularly like the interaction between Wicked Determination and Wicked Expectations. If you're not powerful enough to guarantee a true resurrection, you can still come back in an incompletely desirable way...

I hope this feedback is useful for you, Rock!
Jeremy16
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jeremy16 »

Alright, everyone. I had to take a break from reviews to deal with real life for a bit, but now I have some spare time to return and finish the job...

Pharazia: Survey of a Sand-Scourged Land - Part 1

Pharazia is a tough domain to get right; based partially on the One Thousand and One Arabian Nights version of Islam's Golden Age, it's not exactly the first thing that springs to mind when you think of “gothic horror.” Plus, my understanding of this genre, like most Westerners, is perfunctory at best. (As such, forgive me if my suggestions are not as comprehensive as other domain reviews I've done before.)

It should also be noted that I will be reviewing this article as a work of its own, even though it builds off both Neotiamat's “Domain of the Endless Word” from QTR #21 and from the author's own “Secrets of Pharazia” from QTR 29. So, whether it is fair or not, I can't review what isn't in the actual article. Just something to be aware of if I note that some key element seems to be missing; it could very well just be found in another entry.

Still, I will probably be doing a lot of comparing and contrasting with works that have gone before. For instance, Neotiamat's work highlighted three themes for this domain– Destiny & Fate, High Fantasy (but Not High Magic), and the Ending of a Golden Age. Since I see similar ideas woven into Ian's efforts here, I will use them as a baseline for my comments, as well.

With the caveats out of the way, let's begin...

The Landscape – This is a carryover from Ian's previous Pharazia article, and as such, it nails the desert domain's aesthetic. The names are simple but evocative. This section does a good job of highlighting that this land is filled with more than just sandy dunes.

Flora and Fauna – I'm happy to see that Ian makes the date palm a native species here, but what about hashish? I thought it would be a good counterpoint to Hazlan's opium trade. Or maybe khet? I know we are trying to get away from stereotypes when portraying non-European domains, but I think a substance like that could help draw a sharper contrast between the city of Phiraz, which is under the watchful eye of the Confessors, and places within the domain that have a more relaxed approach to drug use. Plus, it Could give Diambel and his goons a good excuse to become more interested in outlying populations as a sort of primitive “War on Drugs.”

Moving over to the fauna side of things - besides an aside about the symbolism of vultures, I didn't notice anything that stood out as unique to this domain, which I feel is a lost opportunity. This would be great place to introduce a Roc or two, or, at least, the legends of such! (I imagine more than a few wizards in the Core would be willing to pay a great deal for an egg from such creatures, too.) Why not add some giant killer scorpions? Or even a native species of snakes? Anything to (literally) liven up the place!

History – I liked the discussion of alternate theories regarding the source world of each domain in this cluster and how they potentially relate to each other. However, I find Pharazia's history previous to its translation into Ravenloft too sparse. I wanted a more robust picture of its supposed Golden Age before the Faithless Nomad came upon the scene. Where did all the poets, scholars, and engineers that helped usher in this age go? Can their works still be found in the domain even in the present? This would have been a nice place to introduce a Houran al-Rashid like character to in order to compare and contrast his benevolent reign to Diambel's more authoritarian regime. This kind of spotlight on the empire's lost glory would give this domain's history a bit of verisimilitude as well as hinting at the sense of loss that its people now feel.

Populace – Splitting inhabitants into Al-Badia and Al-Hadhar is a good start, but too simplistic for me. In urban areas there would be all sorts of classes – scholars, merchants, etc. - that people would group themselves into. And out in the Nameless Quarter there is room for any combination of unique tribes – marsh dwellers, coastal fisher folk, sand people (the non-Tuskan Raider kind), etc.

Economy – I was disappointed that the Grand Bazaar was not touched upon here. This is another place where the domain's exoticism could be displayed for greater effect. Also, more could have been said about the lucrative (or is it?) caravan business that shuttles foreigners across the Amber Wastes cluster. And, why not throw in a famous camel merchant for good measure?

Education – This is where the University of Phiraz should have been detailed more. I liked the differing attitudes towards learning, but the ancient secrets this edifice is said to hold should be tempting enough to draw scholars from the Core to it. An adventure hook regarding the Necronomicon (or its fantasy equivalent) being locked away here to keep the general public safe wouldn't hurt either.

Arts and Crafts – This should have been a place for the unique beauty of the culture to really shine. I think we're all in agreement that domains can't be all doom and gloom and I feel this was a missed opportunity to reflect hat.

Attitudes Towards Magic – This section is generally well handled. I like the allusion to ancient Akiri magical traditions, but feel more could have been done to differentiate Pharazian magic wielders. What about a school of magic specifically geared towards manipulating and sculpting sand? Or some warlocks with djinn patrons? I'm sure there's a prestige class or two that would be a perfect fit here. Additionally, what is the Confessors' attitude towards divine magic not related to the Lawgiver? Do they even know how to detect that, or care? Do they practice forced conversions ala Elena Faith-hold?

The Realm – This breakdown of the power structure within the domain is well done. It's simple and easy to understand.

Diplomacy – I love the return of the Road of Thousand Secrets. As you know, I'm a big fan of mistways that connect island of terror to the Core. I think there could be more done with the struggle to “gatekeep” such a lucrative spot, however. Surely Diambel would be interested in this entryway to his land, and maybe even have posted guardians at each of the spots foreigners appear at regularly (whether to help or hinder them is up for debate).

The Pharazian Faith – Ian really has a terrific way of describing twisted religious orders. I daresay he is without peer in that respect! (I don't know if that's a compliment or not...)

Historical Religious Traditions – This is a good summary, but a little thin for my tastes. Why not add a religion based off of the worship of various djinn lords? Or a gnostic sect of the Lawgiver (or maybe even the Church of Ezra) with wise people going off to live in the desert and commune with their god directly? What about stretching back further into antiquity and highlighting a more primitive religion that uses Babylonian (or at least its fantasy equivalent) mythology? You can literally have temples buried under the sand dedicated to old gods just waiting to be rediscovered, So much more could have been done here!
Jeremy16
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jeremy16 »

Pharazia: Survey of a Sand-Scourged Land - Part 2

Houses of the Amber Wastes – I like this addition very much. It reminds me of the noble families of Mordent and gives some much needed variety to the people in the domain.

Who's Doomed: Diambel – The revision of this Darklord's history and curse is done amazingly well (considering the source material). I wish more time was spent on more of his futile schemes to avoid his well-deserved fate, but at least his new background erases the problematic elements from his previous origin. Like I said before, getting a darklord's history and curse just right is not an easy trick, and Ian has done amazing here.

Who's Doomed: Allahn El Rashaan – I really like the idea of an adversary that is constantly being reincarnated and becomes a permanent thorn in a darklord's side. But, I feel like Rashaan's personality is somewhat lacking because of this reincarnation mechanic. Perhaps there is some “tell” that his current incarnation has that is carried over from his original life that allows Diambel to recognize him each time he reappears?

Speaking of Diambel, the contest between him and Rashaan falls a little flat for me. I would think that with Diambel's rebellious background another facet of his curse would be to constantly suffering multiple coup attempts, with Rashaan orchestrating several different factions behind the scenes. There's a lot of potential for conspiracies and conflict that I don't feel were sufficiently explored here.

NPCs – I love the members of the Unforgiving Triumvirate and their various agendas. I think I've said this before, but Ian is a master at this kind of sectarian intrigue. I also like the inclusion of Dhuqarru the Honored, as this is the type of unique NPC I wanted to see more of. And, I love the reference to the Black Vault Haul thread with Kayiyb Maarab – what a perfectly twisted personality!

Raayid – I'm curious whether this is a reference to the pocket domain of Shuraz’tun Kir from QTR #1, or is this the author's own original idea? Either way, it's a good addition to the domain.

Sites of Interest – While this does a good job of touching base with all the features mentioned under the geography section above, I think a whole lot more could have done. Mostly, I'm disappointed that Ian didn't integrate all the various additional locales scattered throughout canon (such as the oasis of Tawiel Akhdar and its werejackal overlord Muhktar el Wafid from the RLDMG) or fan-made places such as the City of Secrets and the Garden of Ayesha (from my own article “Sacred Sites and Legendary Locations in QTR #28). Heck, a mention of the cities of al-Kathos (from QTR #5) or Aljaugasba (also from QTR #5) wouldn't hurt, either! (Sorry to promote my own creations and digging up references from long-ago Quoth the Raven articles, but I feel like the more the better here, because desert domains always seem to be dismissed as sparse and featureless most of the time.)

I do like the introduction of the island of Jazirat al-Qidiys and its holy man. I'm a sucker for vanished lands and this ascetic is another NPC that fits the flavor of the domain really well.

The City of Phiraz – This would be the perfect place to lean into all the One Thousand and One Arabian Nights tropes in order to make this place really stand out. I want shopkeepers selling phoenix eggs, hidden catacombs beneath the streets that hold long-forgotten treasures, and a thieves guild run by an Aladdin stand-in. I think Ian was so focused on avoiding cultural stereotypes that the description of the city itself is a bit anemic. This should be the domain's crown jewel, where its wonders are on display for all to see, a Mecca (pardon the cheesy reference) for adventurers and scholars alike.

Overall

This article is a mixed bag for me. Just like with G'Henna, Ian nails the religious theocracy elements, which are key to a domain like this. But, it lacks a certain pizzazz. I wanted something more along the lines of the Har'Akir write-up from Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft where there were fabulous secrets hidden behind every corner and plenty of engaging scenarios for visitors to sink their teeth into.

Don't get me wrong - it's a good makeover, especially given the domain and its darklord's stereotypical treatment in 2nd edition. Ian's choice to have its culture cleave closer to the fantasy Al-Qadim campaign is a good direction to go.

But, since Pharazia shares several tropes with other domains (long lost civilizations like Hazlan and Har'Akir) and religious intolerance (like G'Henna and Nidala) more needed to be done to differentiate it and make it fit better with the gothic horror that Ravenloft is known for. (Or heck, even Lovecraftian horror!) I think really digging into desert-themed monsters and building up more legends and lore relating to them would have helped. I know there were individual incidences of these (such as the ghoul Raayid and the genie Dhuqarru the Honored) but they seemed more like exceptions rather than the rule.

Basically, there are some good ideas here, but it's not as comprehensive as Ian's other domain surveys, and sadly, this one was my least favorite of the bunch.
IanFordam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by IanFordam »

Jeremy16 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:33 pm Alright, everyone. I had to take a break from reviews to deal with real life for a bit, but now I have some spare time to return and finish the job...
I hope you've got that real life thing subdued, at least for a little while. Rest assured that I'm always glad for your feedback, regardless of any delay.
Jeremy16 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:33 pm Pharazia: Survey of a Sand-Scourged Land - Part 1

Pharazia is a tough domain to get right; based partially on the One Thousand and One Arabian Nights version of Islam's Golden Age, it's not exactly the first thing that springs to mind when you think of “gothic horror.” Plus, my understanding of this genre, like most Westerners, is perfunctory at best. (As such, forgive me if my suggestions are not as comprehensive as other domain reviews I've done before.)

It should also be noted that I will be reviewing this article as a work of its own, even though it builds off both Neotiamat's “Domain of the Endless Word” from QTR #21 and from the author's own “Secrets of Pharazia” from QTR 29. So, whether it is fair or not, I can't review what isn't in the actual article. Just something to be aware of if I note that some key element seems to be missing; it could very well just be found in another entry.
Disclaimer noted!
Jeremy16 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:33 pm Still, I will probably be doing a lot of comparing and contrasting with works that have gone before. For instance, Neotiamat's work highlighted three themes for this domain– Destiny & Fate, High Fantasy (but Not High Magic), and the Ending of a Golden Age. Since I see similar ideas woven into Ian's efforts here, I will use them as a baseline for my comments, as well.

With the caveats out of the way, let's begin...

The Landscape – This is a carryover from Ian's previous Pharazia article, and as such, it nails the desert domain's aesthetic. The names are simple but evocative. This section does a good job of highlighting that this land is filled with more than just sandy dunes.

Flora and Fauna – I'm happy to see that Ian makes the date palm a native species here, but what about hashish? I thought it would be a good counterpoint to Hazlan's opium trade. Or maybe khet? I know we are trying to get away from stereotypes when portraying non-European domains, but I think a substance like that could help draw a sharper contrast between the city of Phiraz, which is under the watchful eye of the Confessors, and places within the domain that have a more relaxed approach to drug use. Plus, it Could give Diambel and his goons a good excuse to become more interested in outlying populations as a sort of primitive “War on Drugs.”

Moving over to the fauna side of things - besides an aside about the symbolism of vultures, I didn't notice anything that stood out as unique to this domain, which I feel is a lost opportunity. This would be great place to introduce a Roc or two, or, at least, the legends of such! (I imagine more than a few wizards in the Core would be willing to pay a great deal for an egg from such creatures, too.) Why not add some giant killer scorpions? Or even a native species of snakes? Anything to (literally) liven up the place!

History – I liked the discussion of alternate theories regarding the source world of each domain in this cluster and how they potentially relate to each other. However, I find Pharazia's history previous to its translation into Ravenloft too sparse. I wanted a more robust picture of its supposed Golden Age before the Faithless Nomad came upon the scene. Where did all the poets, scholars, and engineers that helped usher in this age go? Can their works still be found in the domain even in the present? This would have been a nice place to introduce a Houran al-Rashid like character to in order to compare and contrast his benevolent reign to Diambel's more authoritarian regime. This kind of spotlight on the empire's lost glory would give this domain's history a bit of verisimilitude as well as hinting at the sense of loss that its people now feel.

Economy – I was disappointed that the Grand Bazaar was not touched upon here. This is another place where the domain's exoticism could be displayed for greater effect. Also, more could have been said about the lucrative (or is it?) caravan business that shuttles foreigners across the Amber Wastes cluster. And, why not throw in a famous camel merchant for good measure?
These suggestions you give above are all very reasonable...
Jeremy16 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:33 pm Education – This is where the University of Phiraz should have been detailed more. I liked the differing attitudes towards learning, but the ancient secrets this edifice is said to hold should be tempting enough to draw scholars from the Core to it. An adventure hook regarding the Necronomicon (or its fantasy equivalent) being locked away here to keep the general public safe wouldn't hurt either.
... but I'm really sorry that I didn't think to include an analogue to the Necronomicon.
Jeremy16 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:33 pm ...

Populace – Splitting inhabitants into Al-Badia and Al-Hadhar is a good start, but too simplistic for me. In urban areas there would be all sorts of classes – scholars, merchants, etc. - that people would group themselves into. And out in the Nameless Quarter there is room for any combination of unique tribes – marsh dwellers, coastal fisher folk, sand people (the non-Tuskan Raider kind), etc.

(This portion of the quote has been relocated here to avoid breaking the narrative flow of my responses.)

I attempted to address that very issue with the "On the Utility of Buckets" sidebar. The need for a richer explanation is noted, though.
Jeremy16 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:33 pm Arts and Crafts – This should have been a place for the unique beauty of the culture to really shine. I think we're all in agreement that domains can't be all doom and gloom and I feel this was a missed opportunity to reflect hat.

Attitudes Towards Magic – This section is generally well handled. I like the allusion to ancient Akiri magical traditions, but feel more could have been done to differentiate Pharazian magic wielders. What about a school of magic specifically geared towards manipulating and sculpting sand? Or some warlocks with djinn patrons? I'm sure there's a prestige class or two that would be a perfect fit here. Additionally, what is the Confessors' attitude towards divine magic not related to the Lawgiver? Do they even know how to detect that, or care? Do they practice forced conversions ala Elena Faith-hold?
Here's where your "can't review what isn't in the actual article" disclaimer becomes highly relevant. I blindly assumed the presence of the sorcerer, elemental mage, and sha'ir kits from Al-Qadim, but I didn't even think to include an explicit reference to them here, much less any post-2e mechanics.

The Confessors have a zero-tolerance policy toward other deities other than the Lawgiver, and that emphatically includes magic used by foreign priests. I would rule that their detect magic can discern between Lawgiver-granted divine magic, non-Lawgiver-granted divine magic, and arcane magic. In retrospect I'm surprised to note that I really truly did not write down any of that.
Jeremy16 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:33 pm The Realm – This breakdown of the power structure within the domain is well done. It's simple and easy to understand.

Diplomacy – I love the return of the Road of Thousand Secrets. As you know, I'm a big fan of mistways that connect island of terror to the Core. I think there could be more done with the struggle to “gatekeep” such a lucrative spot, however. Surely Diambel would be interested in this entryway to his land, and maybe even have posted guardians at each of the spots foreigners appear at regularly (whether to help or hinder them is up for debate).

The Pharazian Faith – Ian really has a terrific way of describing twisted religious orders. I daresay he is without peer in that respect! (I don't know if that's a compliment or not...)
Heh heh heh heh heh.
Jeremy16 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:33 pm Historical Religious Traditions – This is a good summary, but a little thin for my tastes. Why not add a religion based off of the worship of various djinn lords? Or a gnostic sect of the Lawgiver (or maybe even the Church of Ezra) with wise people going off to live in the desert and commune with their god directly? What about stretching back further into antiquity and highlighting a more primitive religion that uses Babylonian (or at least its fantasy equivalent) mythology? You can literally have temples buried under the sand dedicated to old gods just waiting to be rediscovered, So much more could have been done here!
Again, very reasonable suggestions.
Jeremy16 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:47 pm Pharazia: Survey of a Sand-Scourged Land - Part 2

Houses of the Amber Wastes – I like this addition very much. It reminds me of the noble families of Mordent and gives some much needed variety to the people in the domain.
For me, part of the appeal of Pharazia is that it is populous enough to support these houses and more.
Jeremy16 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:47 pm Who's Doomed: Diambel – The revision of this Darklord's history and curse is done amazingly well (considering the source material). I wish more time was spent on more of his futile schemes to avoid his well-deserved fate, but at least his new background erases the problematic elements from his previous origin. Like I said before, getting a darklord's history and curse just right is not an easy trick, and Ian has done amazing here.
Thank you.
Jeremy16 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:47 pm Who's Doomed: Allahn El Rashaan – I really like the idea of an adversary that is constantly being reincarnated and becomes a permanent thorn in a darklord's side. But, I feel like Rashaan's personality is somewhat lacking because of this reincarnation mechanic. Perhaps there is some “tell” that his current incarnation has that is carried over from his original life that allows Diambel to recognize him each time he reappears?

Speaking of Diambel, the contest between him and Rashaan falls a little flat for me. I would think that with Diambel's rebellious background another facet of his curse would be to constantly suffering multiple coup attempts, with Rashaan orchestrating several different factions behind the scenes. There's a lot of potential for conspiracies and conflict that I don't feel were sufficiently explored here.
I really like the idea of a recurring "tell". I also concur that with his lifetimes of experience, el Rashaan would be able to juggle multiple factions.
Jeremy16 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:47 pm NPCs – I love the members of the Unforgiving Triumvirate and their various agendas. I think I've said this before, but Ian is a master at this kind of sectarian intrigue. I also like the inclusion of Dhuqarru the Honored, as this is the type of unique NPC I wanted to see more of. And, I love the reference to the Black Vault Haul thread with Kayiyb Maarab – what a perfectly twisted personality!

Raayid – I'm curious whether this is a reference to the pocket domain of Shuraz’tun Kir from QTR #1, or is this the author's own original idea? Either way, it's a good addition to the domain.
Raayid is my own creation. Ghuls are creepy. I like 'em.
Jeremy16 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:47 pm Sites of Interest – While this does a good job of touching base with all the features mentioned under the geography section above, I think a whole lot more could have done. Mostly, I'm disappointed that Ian didn't integrate all the various additional locales scattered throughout canon (such as the oasis of Tawiel Akhdar and its werejackal overlord Muhktar el Wafid from the RLDMG) or fan-made places such as the City of Secrets and the Garden of Ayesha (from my own article “Sacred Sites and Legendary Locations in QTR #28). Heck, a mention of the cities of al-Kathos (from QTR #5) or Aljaugasba (also from QTR #5) wouldn't hurt, either! (Sorry to promote my own creations and digging up references from long-ago Quoth the Raven articles, but I feel like the more the better here, because desert domains always seem to be dismissed as sparse and featureless most of the time.)
I'm sincerely embarrassed to admit that I only discovered the Garden of Ayesha after I submitted this article. Otherwise it certainly would have been included. (Is it too late to submit errata?)

Tawiel Akhdar was excluded only because it's in Sebua. Similarly, al-Kathos is its own domain and also not part of Pharazia.

I did not include Aljaugasba or Shuraz’tun Kir because I had mentioned them in my article in QtR29, and I didn't have anything new to say about them. They are still on the map, though!
Jeremy16 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:47 pm I do like the introduction of the island of Jazirat al-Qidiys and its holy man. I'm a sucker for vanished lands and this ascetic is another NPC that fits the flavor of the domain really well.

The City of Phiraz – This would be the perfect place to lean into all the One Thousand and One Arabian Nights tropes in order to make this place really stand out. I want shopkeepers selling phoenix eggs, hidden catacombs beneath the streets that hold long-forgotten treasures, and a thieves guild run by an Aladdin stand-in. I think Ian was so focused on avoiding cultural stereotypes that the description of the city itself is a bit anemic. This should be the domain's crown jewel, where its wonders are on display for all to see, a Mecca (pardon the cheesy reference) for adventurers and scholars alike.
Just for the record, those are all fantastic ideas.
Jeremy16 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:47 pm Overall

This article is a mixed bag for me. Just like with G'Henna, Ian nails the religious theocracy elements, which are key to a domain like this. But, it lacks a certain pizzazz. I wanted something more along the lines of the Har'Akir write-up from Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft where there were fabulous secrets hidden behind every corner and plenty of engaging scenarios for visitors to sink their teeth into.

Don't get me wrong - it's a good makeover, especially given the domain and its darklord's stereotypical treatment in 2nd edition. Ian's choice to have its culture cleave closer to the fantasy Al-Qadim campaign is a good direction to go.

But, since Pharazia shares several tropes with other domains (long lost civilizations like Hazlan and Har'Akir) and religious intolerance (like G'Henna and Nidala) more needed to be done to differentiate it and make it fit better with the gothic horror that Ravenloft is known for. (Or heck, even Lovecraftian horror!) I think really digging into desert-themed monsters and building up more legends and lore relating to them would have helped. I know there were individual incidences of these (such as the ghoul Raayid and the genie Dhuqarru the Honored) but they seemed more like exceptions rather than the rule.

Basically, there are some good ideas here, but it's not as comprehensive as Ian's other domain surveys, and sadly, this one was my least favorite of the bunch.
No batter reaches base every time. :mrgreen:

Regardless, I very much appreciate your review. Thank you for taking the time!
Jeremy16
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jeremy16 »

IanFordam wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:29 pm
Jeremy16 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:47 pm Overall

No batter reaches base every time. :mrgreen:

Regardless, I very much appreciate your review. Thank you for taking the time!

Honestly, I felt bad writing such a critical review. I mean, you wrote 3 full domain surveys for one QTR - that's amazing in and out itself. Thanks for being such a good sport!
Jeremy16
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jeremy16 »

Pharazia: Survey of a Sand-Scourged Land - Part 3 (Stone and Sand adventure)

Once again, I like this adventure because it serves as a general introduction to several of the elements of Pharazia that Ian outlined in the survey proper. You have errant archaeologists (Kielhausen and Solvieg), an oasis (Nizwar), a desert-themed hag coven (the silat sisters), a devious sorcerer (Siraaj) and a sympathetic giant (Arkaan). And all these various places and personalities revolve around the novel set-up of the discovery of a mysterious stone statue.

It's so good, in fact, that I am envious at how easy Ian creates these characters and scenarios. Every NPC has their own motivations that are woven into the overall plot while keeping the main thrust of the adventure in the spotlight. After the primary mystery is resolved, following the exploits of any one of these people could lead to further adventures.

Overall, this has a light Indiana Jones vibe with a little bit of The Mummy (the 1999 hit movie with Brandon Frasier) thrown in. In fact, Ian makes it look so easy, I would love to see him write up some sort of tutorial to share his knowledge with other budding (and, ahem... somewhat older) DMs!