Adventures and the Timeline

Discussing all things Ravenloft
jinat
Conspirator
Conspirator

Adventures and the Timeline

Post by jinat »

JWMs Timeline is probably the most indispensable Ravenloft resource ever made.

There are still Adventure Modules that I am having a difficult time figuring out the dates to.

For example the Laughing Man adventure from Dungeon Magazine # 52

Does anybody know a resource that also tells the dates of adventures from Dungeon Magazine or collection adventures like Chilling Tales ?
IanFordam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Adventures and the Timeline

Post by IanFordam »

I don't know of any expanded timelines. There are a couple of references to Chilling Tales in Mangrum's timeline, from which you might be able to extrapolate likely dates for the reminder of the mini-adventures.

As for "The Laughing Man", Mistipedia reports that it was published in 1994. By convention, it might be set in 744BC, barring any indication to the contrary.
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

IanFordam wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:34 am I don't know of any expanded timelines. There are a couple of references to Chilling Tales in Mangrum's timeline, from which you might be able to extrapolate likely dates for the reminder of the mini-adventures.

As for "The Laughing Man", Mistipedia reports that it was published in 1994. By convention, it might be set in 744BC, barring any indication to the contrary.
Not much about the early history of the knife is known save that it was originally a gift from Baron Urik von Kharkov to Mordal, one of his key assassins. However, Mordal betrayed Baron von Kharkov. The baron punished Mordal by locking him away and using the Fang to gradually drain his life away. After Mordal perished, the knife disappeared. It was thought that Mordal's ghost might have taken it.

In Hour of the Knife, it is revealed that Sodo (later through his proxies) has used the knife for decades to perpetuate his longevity through the temporary immortality induced by the Bloody Jack murders. In that module, he is betrayed by Roja, who seeks to use the dagger for his own benefit.

Although it conflicts with the timeline presented in Hour of the Knife, one module in Dungeon Magazine depicted Mordal as a bandit leader and the murderer of the Laughing Man of Valachan. Mordal's ghost who is eternally pursued by the Laughing Man's ghost and is a victim of his maddening laughter.
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
IanFordam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by IanFordam »

Mephisto of the FoS wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:53 am Although it conflicts with the timeline presented in Hour of the Knife, one module in Dungeon Magazine depicted Mordal as a bandit leader and the murderer of the Laughing Man of Valachan. Mordal's ghost who is eternally pursued by the Laughing Man's ghost and is a victim of his maddening laughter.
That would be an excellent example of "indication to the contrary". :mrgreen:
jinat
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by jinat »

IanFordam wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:34 am I don't know of any expanded timelines. There are a couple of references to Chilling Tales in Mangrum's timeline, from which you might be able to extrapolate likely dates for the reminder of the mini-adventures.

Thankyou, ill go with 744BC then.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

You could try sending a PM or an email to Mangrum.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!