Community Idea: Settlements!

Discussing all things Ravenloft
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Re: Community Idea: Settlements!

Post by alhoon »

I would like to see a small list of settlements, perhaps with a paragraph dedicated to each, in a QtR article.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
DustBunny
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DustBunny »

Hmm, let me try one more... :gabrielle:

Name: Moonshadow Vinyard.
Location: Temperate region, suitable for vinyards. Dementlieu, Borca and Richemulot are the places I envisage (Yes, I like those domains :P )
Function: Vinyard and Winery

Moonshadow Vineyards is a well-known, if somewhat obscure, vineyard dedicated to the art of winemaking. It boasts a unique circular layout, where the rows of grapevines gracefully curve in a circle around a majestic centerpiece — a towering and ancient oak tree. The grand oak has been a silent witness to generations of vintners who tend to the grapevines that encircle it. The owner insists that the circular arrangement allows sunlight to reach every vine, ensuring that each grape receives the perfect amount of warmth and light to flourish, while other vintners are skeptical and put the claim down to good soil or even magic, though evienace of this is nowhere to be found. The carefully nurtured grapevines produce a wide range of wines, from exquisite Merlots to more affordable selections. Some varieties, such as Bitter Black and Oaken Heart, are highly sought-after and often ordered well in advance, commanding premium prices.

At the edge of the vineyard, a small cluster of buildings serves as dwellings for the residents. Surrounding a large green space, a substantial building serves as the master vintner's home and family residence, while considerably smaller houses nearby serve as dwellings for the workers and staff. While it has no facilities for random travelers or adventurers, a well-appointed building acts as the tasting room. Individuals of proper pedigree (or wealth) may be invited to attend a wine tasting event, sampling the wines either in the tasting room or on well-appointed benches on the green.

An unusual stone building is set back from the green area and serves as the facility where harvests are sorted and fermented, with the stone keeping the interior cool and dry. Beneath this building, the wine cellar holds numerous bottles, each carefully inspected as it ages. Kept strictly under guard, one can still smell the musty yet pleasant aroma of maturing wine outside. Several smaller buildings act as storage facilities surrounding it, containing wagons, beasts of burden, and miscellaneous materials.

While the population only consists of those directly involved in the vineyard, and no facilities for wandering travellers exist beyond a brief stop to rest, on occassion well-to-do visitors can be found in the tasting room or being taken on a tour of the premises. A highlight of the year is a major event where, after all the grapes have been collected at harvest, a celebration is held on the green. Again, this is restricted to the well-to-do, but it is well-attended — both for the wine and for dealings with peers in a apparently relaxed environment.

Notable NPC
Owner and Viticulturist
Seran Montreaux is a tall and imposing figure, exuding an aura of power and authority. He is elderly, with silver-grey hair that adds to his distinguished appearance. Seran is known for his refined taste and often adorns himself in rich and elegant clothing, reflecting the status and profitability of his vineyard. Sharp facial features, including piercing eyes, a prominent nose, and thin lips, contribute to an intense gaze that can be quite intimidating to those who encounter him. Despite this initial impression, he is actually a pleasant person with a warm demeanor. Seran's knowledge of viticulture is extensive, and he possesses a deep understanding of the intricate details of his profession. His expertise is so profound that he can discuss the subject to a level that would impress even university professors, making them beg for respite once he starts on the finer details of viticulture.

Secrets:
The wine 'Bitter Black' is made from the innermost ting of grapes near the oak, thus can only be made in limited quantities. A strong wine with a very bitter tasting, it has a curious property - vampires can drink and get drunk on it - experiencing both the benefits and penalties that alcohol has on mortals. Whilst anyone can drink the wine if they can stand the taste, the curious property has made it a premium item of demand amongst 'certain circles'. Montreaux does not know of this effect, but doesn't care as it allows him to charge premium prices for a bitter wine to people who appear to have more money than taste.

The old oak is a ordinary healthy tree - no magic, no druid circles, no secret sacrifices, despite rumors. But its past is somewhat more extraordinary. Centuries ago, a blessed wooden stake was used against a vampire and pierced its heart. The stake however was still livewood, and left alone it slowly grew back into an oak tree. Prehaps due to the mix of holy and profane energies which lingered, it is the source of the remarkably fertile ground for the wines as well as the effect of 'Bitter Black'. But underneath the ground, the old oak's taproot extends through the remains of the vampire, pinning the corpse in place even to this day.
Last edited by DustBunny on Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Someone sent me a postcard picture of the earth. On the back they had written, "Wish you were here."
DustBunny
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DustBunny »

Strahdsbuddy wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:40 am Great examples there. I’ll give another one: Darkon. While Mordent is a popular spot for the fan made/net-canon works, Darkon is almost completely forgotten! Half the population of the Core lives there, so where the heck are they?
I must admit I am surprised by that. As the closest to a 'generic' D&D campaign in RL, I thought it would be the easiest to pop generic D&D towns/villages down in.
alhoon wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 5:43 am I would like to see a small list of settlements, perhaps with a paragraph dedicated to each, in a QtR article.
Hmm, it could be tricky to put much life into it with just one paragraph. Though I suppose they could be used as disposable 'passing through' towns (visit once, maybe stay at the in, and never return), or as a basic idea if the DM wants to expand upon themselves.
Someone sent me a postcard picture of the earth. On the back they had written, "Wish you were here."
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

DustBunny wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:28 am The old oak is a ordinary healthy tree - no magic, no druid circles, no secret sacrifices, despite rumors. But its past is somewhat more extraordinary. Centuries ago, a blessed wooden stake was used against a vampire and pierced its heart. The stake however was still livewood, and left alone it slowly grew back into an oak tree. Prehaps due to the mix of holy and profane energies which lingered, it is the source of the remarkably fertile ground for the wines as well as the effect of 'Bitter Black'. But underneath the ground, the old oak's taproot extends through the remains of the vampire, pinning the corpse in place even to this day.
That sounds like a Gulthias tree...

According to legend, the first Gulthias tree sprouted from the stake used to slay the vampire Gulthias of Nightfang Spire, head of the cult of the red dragon Ashardalon.The stake destroyed Gulthias, but the vampire's latent magic caused the stake to sprout, growing into a sapling infused with vampiric power. A druid was said to have later discovered the sapling and transplanted it inside an underground grotto, where the druid nurtured the tree until it produced the first seeds from which blights were generated.
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
IanFordam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by IanFordam »

DustBunny wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:28 am Name: Moonshadow Vinyard.
Location: Temperate region, suitable for vinyards. Dementlieu, Borca and Richemulot are the places I envisage (Yes, I like those domains :P )
Function: Vinyard and Winery
I like that you present Moonshadow Vineyard as being interesting without necessarily being sinister.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

DustBunny wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:35 am Hmm, it could be tricky to put much life into it with just one paragraph.
Links to bigger text could be included, I think. Or special mentions that would be bigger. But too large, and it becomes unyieldy. If you need to read a page about each settlement to find one that fits what you want, it will become cumbersome.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
DustBunny
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DustBunny »

alhoon wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 1:51 am But too large, and it becomes unyieldy. If you need to read a page about each settlement to find one that fits what you want, it will become cumbersome.
Oh, no arguments there, I was saying it would be tricky for me compressing it down. I have a tendency to carry on, and sometimes there is much to be said for brevity. So, I tried with the following three..
Name: Tingstatay Village
Function: Pig Farm

Approaching this unassuming village, an unmistakable aroma greets any visitor, swiftly carried by the breeze. The scent originates from a sizable freehold at the village's core, where hundreds of hogs are raised. These hogs constitute the village's primary source of income and are the undeniable origin of its potent odor. Clusters of houses and barns have sprung up around the freehold, providing living space and work facilities to those who call this village home. Amidst this arrangement, some attempts at beautification are evident, like decorated flower beds and hedges. Despite this, it is seems apparent that anyone living here must have long lost their sense of smell, and are accustomed to the continuous grunting and squealing of the livestock.
Name:South End
Function: Salt Mine

The town derives its name from the metaphor, "South end of a North bound Mule," a phrase that grimly captures the feeling of those who reside here. At its heart lies a sprawling salt mine, where prisoners toil relentlessly, extracting salt through tiring and arduous labour. Adjacent to this expanse stands a formidable stockade, its imposing walls containing the individuals who have been sentenced to this gruelling existence. Despite the grim atmosphere, a modest village has emerged nearby, providing vital support and services to the guards and transporters who oversee the operations. The modest buildings, rough-hewn yet functional, supply provisions for both captors and captives alike, while makeshift workshops repair equipment worn down by the relentless work of the salt mine. The village is the lifeline for the entire operation, ensuring the continued functioning of the prison complex and the extraction and export of salt.
Name: Retreat for Health and Wellbeing
Function: Exclusive health retreat

Nestled within a meticulously crafted estate, this exclusive health retreat caters to those who are dedicated to their well-being and have the means to achieve indulge it. The retreat's grounds sprawl across a meticulously curated estate. Expansive gardens, graceful fountains, and secluded seating areas grant a relaxing environment, carefully watched over by discreet guards who maintain the exclusivity. Elegant suites, adorned with lavish furnishings and plush textures, offer almost decadent levels of comfort and refinement. The retreat boasts a wealth of health facilities, including heated spas, rejuvenating treatments, masseurs, and a host of other activities of both useful and questionable efficacy. Polite and efficient servants await to provide every indulgence the residents may desire.
Last edited by DustBunny on Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DustBunny
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DustBunny »

Mephisto of the FoS wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:59 pm That sounds like a Gulthias tree...
Aww. I thought I was being somewhat original. :(
IanFordam wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:44 pmI like that you present Moonshadow Vineyard as being interesting without necessarily being sinister.
Thank you :gabrielle:
I was trying to keep somewhat neutral so the DM can decide which way to swing it. Still, I was leaning towards "Maybe - for once - a tall thin man with a prominent nose and thin lips who talks a lot about the 'blood of the vine' is not actually a vampire". ;)
IanFordam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by IanFordam »

DustBunny wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:30 pm I was trying to keep somewhat neutral so the DM can decide which way to swing it. Still, I was leaning towards "Maybe - for once - a tall thin man with a prominent nose and thin lips who talks a lot about the 'blood of the vine' is not actually a vampire". ;)
Hah! Somehow I totally missed that you were playing with that trope. That just makes your description even better!
IanFordam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by IanFordam »

Rushinver
way station at the edge of the eastern forest of Nidala

A small town not far inside the boundary of the eastern forest, built at the fork where the northern branch of the Greater Dorlach splits off from the eastern branch. Although its citizens engage in some logging and hunting, the town exists largely to be a waypoint between the forest and the plains.

The owners of The Fayre Repose (good lodging, excellent food, moderate price) maintain that their inn is the finest in all of Nidala. They may even be right. Those who wish to make do with less may seek out the Spawning Salmon (common lodging, common food, low price).

The Rushinverans believe that they are far enough from Touraine and the Theospine Mountains to be safe from the wrath of either Elena Faith-hold or Banemaw. They are wrong, of course. Their mayor himself is a spy for the Knight-Protector.

Gerard Rush
The mayor of Rushinver. (His family has inherited the mayorship for generations now. You can tell by his surname.) He is faithful to Elena Faith-hold and her version of the faith of Belenus. Thus, although he is an initially jovial man, he can be quite easy to offend.

Ava Breen
A young woman who works at the Fayre Repose. She's known for being quiet but hardworking, which is not a bad combination in her employers' opinion.

Less positively, she is secretly a Darkonian who slipped through the Via Corona. She is a low-level wizard who escaped her cruel mistress. Unfortunately, Ava was caught with a last curse, which twisted her familiar—a frog—into a vampyre frog. It needs a small amount of blood to drink each night. Fortunately Ava works at an inn where a great many people pass through. Most of them don't even notice that they've been pierced by the frog's barbed-wire tongue.

Ava feels guilty about letting her familiar feed, but then again she's happy for the vitality that it shares with her when it does. In the meantime, while she wrestles with her conscience, she uses change self and friends to help herself fit in, and she hopes that the Guardians of Morals don't notice her little magics.
Strahdsbuddy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Strahdsbuddy »

Thanks to IanFordam for directing me back here. I have to give one a try:

Four Corners, a hamlet at the meeting point of four domains, known for its strange connection to the Mists.

After the Grand Conjunction, Valachan's sudden appearance on Mordent's southern border created quite a stir, but once it was proven that all residents of this forested realm were not skin-changers as originally rumored, the domains settled in to an amiable relationship of trade. While the language and culture was much different than her other neighbors, the introduction of fruit and flowers from the south added some color to the dreary streets of Mordent's villages, and Richemulot in particular was interested in the mineral goods Valachan had to offer. To that end, a small fort was built across the Wolfen river, between the Vale of Silence and Winterfang Crests, in the thick Udyskog Forest. The structure was fortified with Verbrecker timber and Mordentish brick, and eventually acted like a boarding house. More structures sprang up as the first summer wrapped up, and the path beaten to the river banks and back west into Valachan made the hamlet easy to find. A surprise came in the first winter, when a tribe of Vistani made camp silently overnight, their Captain stressing what an important location this was for his people. Outnumbered and not interested in a fight, the trappers that were currently in residence struck a deal regardign which areas could be built upon and which could not. This charter became the first law of the hamlet, and has influenced the growth and expansion ever since.

The Vistani maintain a semi-permanent presence in Four Corners, with each tasque rotating a few vardos through the area based off of their own calendar. The significance of the eara quickly drew the attention of Ezrtie priests of the Mordentish and Dementlieur sect, as well as at least one coven of Halan witches. With Yutow's own cleric also tending a shrine here, an unusual meshing and exhanging of ideas goes on here. The rare phenomena of closed borders, which usually prevents settlement in these areas, drew the interest of groups around the Core and these events are carefully catalogued in the great hall.

In the aftermath of the Grand Conjunction, the area around Four Corners was known for unusual celestial activity, including localized eclipses of the moon, as well as the appearance of otherwise unknown constellations. Combined with the mixing of cultures, those with an aversion to strange happenings tend not to stay in the hamlet very long. It has gained a reputation as a place for scoundrels further up in Mordentshire or Mortigny, but in reality Four Corners is one place where one could find useful help for the next intriguing voyage or occult excavation, and the Vistani hanging around close by can typically help cut down on travel time.

A large family with ties to the Reniers rules in name in Four Corners. The Martin family established what grew into the boarding house in 742, and happily sponsor expeditions into the forests to the south to root out dangerous shapechangers. The matriarch, Doris Martin, is a neice of Elise DeLauren, who wed Jacqueline Renier's uncle Maurice Milette in 720. This tenuous connection to the ruling family keeps the public eye off of her little village, but she still reports juicy gossip to her cousins as needed. She is most interested in curbing any advances of the Timothy clan or agents of Urik von Kharkov into Richemulot. Roland Martin, the eldest son, uses his connections in Tumbledown to move material through all four domains.

Oskar von Wach is a Valachani merchant who runs the outfitter in town. He had been a regular trader in the region of western Valachan before the Great Upheaval, and settled in Four Corners soon after it was established. His sister, Annick, was one of von Kharkov's ill-fated brides, and he left home when he was young to avoid the painful memory. He has raised a daugther, Sophie, whose mother vanished while searching for herbs in the Udyrskog. Oskar knows he is ont he last stop of civilization for anyone trying to penetrate into Valachan or Verbrek from the north, and he knows he can name his price when desperate travelers are unloading goods with wolves or panthers nipping at their heels.
Get the Core Genesis Project V4 in the Mausoleum.

Check out the Ravenloft Cartographic Society on Facebook
IanFordam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by IanFordam »

Strahdsbuddy wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:38 pm Four Corners, a hamlet at the meeting point of four domains, known for its strange connection to the Mists.
I like this. There is lots of possibility in places at the crossroads.
IanFordam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by IanFordam »

Klippekant
a hamlet in Valachan

One of many hamlets scattered throughout Valachan, Klippekant is notable for two reasons.

First, much of the hamlet is built upon the top, bottom, and middle of a steep ravine. From a building which overhangs the edge, a wooden platform may be lowered from the building at the top of the ravine to a broad (but not very deep) ledge midway down. At the far end of the ledge is another overhanging building, from which another wooden platform may be lowered to the floor of the ravine. To get from the so-called ascending platform to the descending platform, one must pass through the Custom House and pay tariffs on goods. (Black Leopards need not pay, of course.)

Second, the hamlet is home to a man named Alskel Faedelspar, who claims to make arrowheads from a local flint which have proven particularly efficacious against beasts from Verbrek. (That is, arrows with one of Alskel's special arrowheads will bypass the damage resistance of any Verbrekker werebeasts.) Alskel has no explanation for this; he's simply making arrowheads the way his father taught him. (Of course, his father was a part-time moarnekone.) Moreover, although this feature is not yet widely known, Alskel's arrowheads work equally well against any lycanthrope... or undead, including a certain Sithican vampire.

Klippekant lies north of Rotwald but much closer to Rotwald than Castle Pantara. It boasts a single inn and tavern, The TreeView, which stands at the top of the ravine, not far from the ascending platform.
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

IanFordam wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:43 pm Second, the hamlet is home to a man named Alskel Faedelspar, who claims to make arrowheads from a local flint which have proven particularly efficacious against beasts from Verbrek... Alskel's arrowheads work equally well against any lycanthrope... or undead, including a certain Sithican vampire.
Alskel's days are numbered :vonkharkov:
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Speedwagon
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Speedwagon »

Maybe, maybe not---change is a good thing in the land of Mists, and Lady Adeline's been too comfy for too long. Plus, if she goes, then that gives the Baron some chance for character growth, which is nice.