QtR 30 is open for submissions!

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Joël of the FoS

QtR 30 is open for submissions!

Post by Joël of the FoS »

What's done in the dark always comes to the light” (J Ward)

The Fraternity of Shadows is now accepting submissions for the next Quoth the Raven, our annual Ravenloft netbook.

This year is a special year as it will be issue 30!

It wasn’t 30 years since we started QtR netbooks, mind you (it was released more than once a year when it started, then later it settled to once a year).

What about the number 30? What mystery is it hiding?

We have consulted famous vistani numerologists and this is what we learned from them:

1) Numerology: This is the number of the intellect. Some may regard the number 30 as lonely. Others rightfully see it as a number of fierce dedications and service to whichever it is that they are studying at that time.

A good number for the FoS…

Numerology again : the number 30 is also a powerful number that is associated with manifestation, balance, and the law of attraction. If you are seeing this number everywhere, it is a sign that your angels are trying to get your attention!

:shock:

2) Dream Interpretation: Superstition says that if you dream about the number 30 it means someone is lying to you. To see anything related to the number 30 in your dreams usually means that someone or something lacks truth. Someone is lying to you, or something is not what it seems.

Something is hidden from us, we can feel it!

3) It is also the number of vertices in the Tutte–Coxeter graphic

Now we’re getting somewhere!

But where?

4) In years of marriage, the pearl wedding anniversary.

A pearl is a hidden thing… it’s secreted in the darkness …

5) Geometry: The number of edges of a dodecahedron and icosahedron.
6) Music: The total number of major and minor keys in Western tonal music, including enharmonic equivalents.

See #3

7) 30 Days of Night: This comic series takes place in Barrow, Alaska, so far north that during the winter, the sun does not rise for 30 days.

In the series, vampires take advantage of the prolonged darkness to openly kill the townspeople and feed at will…

So this year’s theme is: "Darkness! Things left in the dark, and hidden decay"

As always, we are looking for anything related to Ravenloft, Masque of the Red Death, or horror in general. The theme is deliberately open ended, but still a suggestion, not a restriction. If you have something great that doesn't fit in with the theme, send it in anyway!

Ruleset doesn't matter! We accept articles using any edition of D&D rules, or even other systems. Canon setting doesn't matter either: 2e/3e canon shared world, 4e Shadowfell Domains, 5e reimagined setting, homebrew worlds, send them all in! Some of the best articles don't have any rules text at all! And if you're interested in having your rules converted to another system, let us know. There are lots of volunteers eager to help.

BUT: do not overformat your articles (we will painfully remove it all anyway, to put our own look to it!)

See our submission guidelines for official rules.

Submit your articles to QTR@fraternityofshadows.com. The deadline is September 30th, 2023, but feel free to send your articles in early, especially if you're looking for feedback.

"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
KingCorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: QtR 30 is open for submissions!

Post by KingCorn »

Well, the Black Vault thread certainly fits for this one. As does Mephisto's (I think its Mephisto who talked about doing this) stating out the Ravenloft Characters/Items from the TSR cards (something long hidden/forgotten).
IanFordam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by IanFordam »

I suspect that the sheer evilness of my maniacal laughter is undercut by the way I'm bouncing with glee.

MUAHAHAHAHAboingboingboingboingboingHAHA!!!
Joël of the FoS

KingCorn wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:16 pm Well, the Black Vault thread certainly fits for this one.
But you know, a submission doesn't have to be following the suggested theme.

There was once, a while ago but still, that none of the QtR submissions were about the suggested theme :roll:
IanFordam wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:01 pm I suspect that the sheer evilness of my maniacal laughter is undercut by the way I'm bouncing with glee.

MUAHAHAHAHAboingboingboingboingboingHAHA!!!
We knew many would find it maniacally inspiring :)
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

Darkness, eh? Let see what I manage to do. One will be Barovia, I was conserving it for number 30.
Pizza
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Pizza »

Joël of the FoS wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:10 pm
There was once, a while ago but still, that none of the QtR submissions were about the suggested theme :roll:
What was the suggest theme then?
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

Pizza wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:52 am
Nihil :mrgreen:
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Joël of the FoS

Pizza wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:52 am
I do not recall that, and of course QtR didn't mention it as it was irrelevant.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

We should probably add to our standard disclaimers about theme and ruleset:
Canon setting doesn't matter either: 2e/3e canon shared world, 4e Shadowfell Domains, 5e reimagined setting, homebrew worlds, send them all in!
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Joël of the FoS

Indeed! Added to first post.
Baron Von Stanton
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Baron Von Stanton »

I should get back to work on my stories and this year's Register of Monsters, shouldn't I?
IanFordam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by IanFordam »

Baron Von Stanton wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:28 pm I should get back to work on my stories and this year's Register of Monsters, shouldn't I?
Please do! I, for one, would enjoy the results.
Baron Von Stanton
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Baron Von Stanton »

IanFordam wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 5:45 am
Baron Von Stanton wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:28 pm I should get back to work on my stories and this year's Register of Monsters, shouldn't I?
Please do! I, for one, would enjoy the results.
"The latest Register of Monsters is here!"
"Oh, lemme see... 'Now with added demon lard...'"
"Don't you mean 'demon lord'?"
"No, 'lard,' this year's edition is a cookbook."
IanFordam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by IanFordam »

Baron Von Stanton wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 8:14 pm "The latest Register of Monsters is here!"
"Oh, lemme see... 'Now with added demon lard...'"
"Don't you mean 'demon lord'?"
"No, 'lard,' this year's edition is a cookbook."
You think I wouldn't read that? I would totally read that. :mrgreen:
Joël of the FoS

We already have a submission for QtR 30 :)