The Black Vault Haul

Discussing all things Ravenloft
IanFordam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: The Black Vault Haul

Post by IanFordam »

Baron Von Stanton wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:49 pm Well, there's the Magimixmaster 6666, but good luck buying it from Tasha's Catalogue of Everything.
Oh, but it comes as part of the special edition release of Glennis McFadden's Kitchen Playset with Extra-Large Oven. Keep an eye out for a good deal! Hardly cursed at all.
IanFordam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by IanFordam »

Chime of Awakening

The Chime of Awakening is a bronze tube, two fingers in diameter and two hands long. It is decorated with beautiful, looping designs which appear to be letters but letters of an utterly unknown script. The chime always appears to have been freshly polished. It is often found with a bronze striker attached by thread or a leather thong, but the striker is not magical. Only the Chime itself is.

The Chime is utterly silent unless struck by metal, in which case the designs glow momentarily and a single high, sweet, clear note sounds from the Chime. Apart from the person who sounded the Chime, anyone hearing this note will be incapable of falling asleep, even if subject to a sleep spell, for 24 hours afterward. The Chime will only ring every 8 hours.

Unfortunately, the person who sounds the Chime is not actually unaffected. Every time they strike the Chime, there is a cumulative 5% chance that they will be afflicted with utter sleeplessness for 24 hours for every time they have have sounded the Chime. Since sleep deprivation for more than 96 hours may cause psychotic symptoms, this belated, accumulated effect can do very, very bad things. Ironically, those who suffer extreme sleep deprivation because of the Chime's magic are often drawn into the Nightmare Lands, where the sleepless are surrounded by the sleepers.

The Chime of Awakening was created by an Outlander wizard named Wurmblut. His tower was robbed one night because his hired watchmen fell asleep on duty, and he vowed that he would never fall victim to that sort of criminal laxness again. Of course, his hired watchmen shortly decided that Wurmblut was too dangerous to work for, and they quit. So did their replacements, and the replacements after that. By then word had gotten around, and there might not have been a fourth round of watchmen at all. However, Wurmblut had fallen victim to the Chime's curse, and before long he was drawn into the Nightmare Lands.

The designs decorating the Chime of Awakening are, in fact a script, one that Wurmblut and others created when they were still apprentices. If translated by magic, the writing reads, "See if you can fall asleep on the job again, you [redacted]."

Also called the Chime of Wakefulness, but not to be confused with the Woke Chime, which is something else entirely.
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

No, seriously, we've been SPAMMED.
Do us a favor Luv, Stick yer 'ead in a bucket a kick it!

So, gentlemen, that's how it is. Until Grissome.... resurfaces, I'm the acting president, and I say starting with this... anniversary festival, we run this city into the ground! :D
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

Fallen Karlak's Sabre

Karlak was a fearsome pirate from a world covered by a vast sea while some legends say he was born from the thundering sea itself. He was a zealot of a god of death that never took prisoners but rather was known to execute anyone captured by his misshapen crew. Even darker versions of Karlak's legend say that he exchanged the life of those he sacrificed to his god for the extension of his own until he was eventually destroyed when a coral was used to pierce through his heart and his body was burned along his ship and crew. The only thing that survived his destruction and was proof of his existence was his magical sabre +2, a masterful black patin silver bladed sword with a black zirconium hilt formed into the shape of a scaly, tentacled leviathan. Anyone wielding this cursed sword is able to be affected by the spells water breathing and water walk at will as long as he/she/they holds the sword. After killing a humanoid creature with this sword's blade, its wielder is automatically affected by the effects similar to the combined effects of the 3e and 5e spell death ward. If a divination spell is cast on this weapon it reveals a faint transmutation aura but the strong necromantic aura is covered as if it was hidden by a magic aura spell (or the weapon's cursed nature).
The first time the wielder of the sword would drop to 0 hit points as a result of taking damage, the wielder instead drops to 1 hit point, and the warding effect ends. If the death ward power is still in effect when the wielder is subjected to an effect that would kill it instantaneously without dealing damage, that effect is instead negated against the wielder, and the warding effect ends. The subject is thus immune to all death spells, magical death effects, energy drain, any negative energy effects, and any damage that would result in death for 8 hours after taking a life or until this power negates any of the aforementioned conditions. The wielder of the sword can also opt to be affected by a feign death spell, as a bonus action. This works as if a contingency spell had been cast beforehand, with the condition being when the death ward annuls any effect that would bring that individual's death the feign death spell takes effect.
The possessor of Fallen Karlak's Sabre is subjected to the sword's curse after he/she/they has been benefitted by the sword's death ward power, and thus escaped death. Anyone saved by the sword's death ward power have their metabolism fall beyond natural levels and they are cold to the touch, automatically gaining the Cold One feat as a bonus feat. Every day that passes thereof the persons who benefitted by the sword's death ward power slowly rot away as a normal corpse would until they resemble a zombie and those individuals are considered to be subjected to a permanent feign undeath spell after a week (under normal decaying conditions). Those cursed individuals who die while in this state rise in three days as zombie lords, cursed to roam the land or sea and offer more sacrifices to Karlak's deity. To get rid of the curse an atonement spell must be cast to the cursed individual followed by a restoration and remome curse spells. Former possessors of Fallen Karlak's Sabre, including zombie lords, who have lost possession of it are obsessed with the cursed sword and are compelled do anything to bring it back to their possession.
Decades before the Requiem, three different factions of zombies were battling each other on the Mountains of Misery, in a region close to Corvia, in what is locally known as the Grey Realm's Civil War. Each faction was controlled by a different zombie lord determined to gain hold of Fallen Karlak's Sabre until Azalin Rex took control of all the zombie factions and turned them against their masters. The outlander Latislav of Darkon 7th lvl priest of Tyr (TSR 1993 Collector Card #319) and his party (originally from Waterdeep) was caught in the middle of this conflict, as one of them had the cursed sword in her possession. Ladislav was the only one who survived the conflict and the wrath of Azalin Rex (Latislav's mace of disruption slayed the darklord's physical form and forced the lich's spirit to flee to its phylactery) but does not remember anything as Darkon's memory erasing properties has wiped the disastrous events from his mind, he only knows that Azalin Rex seeks his death and has stayed low for more than three decades.
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
IanFordam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by IanFordam »

Mephisto of the FoS wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:59 am Fallen Karlak's Sabre
I've liked a good number of the Black Vault write-ups, but this may be my favorite.
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

IanFordam wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:18 pm
Mephisto of the FoS wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:59 am Fallen Karlak's Sabre
I've liked a good number of the Black Vault write-ups, but this may be my favorite.
Thanks! I like it too and I have been thinking of making a follow write-up of all TSR card NPCs after this article for the next Quoth the Raven. Fortunately I found all the cards I was missing in a trading card database and I have already thought of some stuff for these characters.
IanFordam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by IanFordam »

Mephisto of the FoS wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:49 pm Thanks! I like it too and I have been thinking of making a follow write-up of all TSR card NPCs after this article for the next Quoth the Raven. Fortunately I found all the cards I was missing in a trading card database and I have already thought of some stuff for these characters.
Well, that sounds like a fun project!
Wolfglide of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Wolfglide of the Fraternity »

IanFordam wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:43 pm
Mephisto of the FoS wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:49 pm Thanks! I like it too and I have been thinking of making a follow write-up of all TSR card NPCs after this article for the next Quoth the Raven. Fortunately I found all the cards I was missing in a trading card database and I have already thought of some stuff for these characters.
Well, that sounds like a fun project!
And a big project! How many of those cards are there?

I remember Tomokaicho covering a bit over 50 of them in a thread: https://www.fraternityofshadows.com/for ... hp?t=10173
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Wolfglide of the Fraternity wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:08 pm And a big project! How many of those cards are there?

I remember Tomokaicho covering a bit over 50 of them in a thread: https://www.fraternityofshadows.com/for ... hp?t=10173
Ah yeah I forgot to mention only the Ravenoft ones.
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

How many of those cards are there?

[/quote]
I had started buying (not actually collecting) some back in the day and bought a few packages. I was into Ravenloft at the time but had never played a Ravenloft game both as a player and a DM (actually I have never played as a player a Ravenloft game). I was lucky enough to get :soth: which is a rare card after a few buys and was thrilled since at the time this was my favourite NPC at the time, still is but there are many more that I like, the it was only Sothy.

https://www.coleka.com/en/trading-cards ... h_i1284660

Following is the full catalog of Ravenloft TSR Collector's cards there are some magical items in this catalog so it isn't too irrelevant with this topic (although it actually is :? ).

1991 set
  • 381: Meredoth
    382: Grim Reaper
    383: Werebat
    384: Bussengeist
    481: Gabrielle Aderre, Lord of Invidia
    482: Azalin, Lord of Darkon
    483: Vlad Drakov, Lord of Falkovnia
    484: Lord Wilfred Godefroy, Ghost Lord of Mordent
    485: Hazlik, Lord of Hazlan
    486: Harkon Lukas, Lord of Kartakass
    487: Frantisek Markov, Lord of Markovia
    488: Yagno Petrovna, Lord of G'henna
    489: Strahd Von Zarovich, Lord of Barovia
    611: Strahd
    680: Eleazar Clyde, Vampire
    695: Vampire
1992 set
  • 23: Tarl Vanovitch's Sun Blade
    51: Quebe's Pick-a-Door
    53: Living Wall
    61: Hoelgar Arnutsson
    68: Rafe Willowand
    86: Marion Robinsdottir
    90: Symbuk torul
    149: Robe of Blending
    151: Mazrikoth's Scarab of Death
    199: Alanik Ray
    200: Dorotha Kenig
    239: Checklist 161-200
    285: Strahd Von Zarovich
    286: Nosferatu Vampire
    287: Dwarf Vampire
    288: Halfling Vampire
    289: Kender Vampire
    290: Elf Vampire
    291: Gnome Vampire
    292: Vampyre
    293: Jander Sunstar
    296: Leilana
    312: Killeen
    320: Kevlin
    326: Mazrikoth
    410: Crown of Souls
    424: Katrina Von Brandthofen
    441: Bright Gaelea
    456: Bilkon
    461: Thaedran Meridian
    462: Knightengale
    485: Darkling
    486: Goblyn
    487: Bone Golem
    488: Shadow Fiend
    546: Nhalvaen
    576: Burganet
    601: Broken One
    602: Doom Guard
    603: Ghoul Lord
    604: Assassin Imp
    605: Quickwood
    606: Reaver
    608: Strahd's Skeletal Steed
    609: Greater Wolfwere
    628: Ring of Reversion
    645: Greater Mummy (Undead series)
    646: Skeleton (Undead series)
    647: Odem (Undead series)
    648: Wight (Undead series)
    649: Wraith (Undead series)
    650: Geist (Undead series)
    651: Shadow (Undead series)
    652: Ghost (Undead series)
    653: Lich (Undead series)
    678: Master Elias Sturn
    10 (of 11): Zombie (Gencon promotional card)
1993 set
  • 4: Ghost
    15: Tavelia
    18: Larissa Snowmane
    21: Amulet of Vadarin
    31: Giles the Bowman
    48: Dural of the Iron Hills
    49: Vadarin
    87: Melykurion of the Raven
    101: Theodoric the Book
    108: Bonnie Lee
    146: Stefan Dyreth
    153: Senmet
    154: Trisler
    172: Adam (Children of Darkness)
    173: Ratik Ubel
    174: Natalia Vhorishkova
    175: Anhktepot
    176: Bluebeard
    177: The Headless Horseman
    178: Baron Urik von Kharkov
    179: Stezen D'Polarno
    180: Tiyet
    190: Lyron's Harpsichord of Commanding
    242: Karali's Silver Short Sword +3
    243: Kaleen's Amulet Versus Undead
    252: Hannibil of the Raven
    262: Baron Lyron Evensong
    311: Kaleen Corigrave
    313: Karali Jenei
    319: Latislav of Darkon
    351: Icon of the Raven
    353: Brindletople's Time Bomb
    361: Jhurgen Vastish
    373: Vashtar
    408: Mark's Scarab of Protection
    417: Mark of the Raven
    467: Tithion's Wand of Fire
    474: Tithion
    483: Seldain
    484: Patron Arabel
    490: Brindletople
    10 (of 60): Casimir of Harmonia (rare card set)
    13 (of 60): Lord Soth (rare card set)
    15 (of 60): High Master (rare card set)
    18 (of 60): Jaraq the Deceiver (rare card set)
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Speedwagon wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:05 am Stygian Gambit: Martira Bay is a good choice but you could also use Nevuchar Springs with some modifications like changing the Tieflings for Elves?
Even better Martira Bay has been used more times than Nevuchar Springs (used only in the end of From the Shadows, just before the Grand Conjunction). We don't have Nevuchar Springs as a port in any adventure, so yes this is better.
https://scontent.fath6-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... =6473A3A5
IanFordam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by IanFordam »

Lest Jeremy16 think we've completely derailed his thread...

Dark Destiny's Scourge

Even among the Confessors of Pharazia, the Order of Scourges is feared. Within the Order of Scourges, none was more feared than the scourge who became known as Kayiyb Maarab. She was not the founder of that Order, but she was the most ardent of the first class of students. She came to the attention of the founder of that Order, but even more crucially, she came to the attention of Diamabel himself. Impressed with the violence of her piety, Diamabel asked her to become one of his sacred consorts. In an act of ultimate arrogance (or perhaps humility), she declined.

Shortly after dusk Kayiyb Maarab was visited by the Herald Who Flies on the Wings of the Night. Although certain of her pending doom, she faced him bravely with back unbowed and voice unwavering.

The Herald growled, "You have turned away Diamabel, the paragon of the Lawgiver."

"I have," she admitted.

"You shall be punished," he said, his hand upon the hilt of his sword, that dark twin to Spiritburner.

"I should be," she agreed, and she offered him the scourge with which she had excruciated so many so well.

According to legend, the Herald landed twenty lashes, ten upon her shoulders, and ten upon his own. By the twentieth lash their blood had mingled. Once the final lash had fallen, the Herald placed the leather handle back into Kayiyb Maarab's hand where she lay unconscious upon the stones of her barren cell.

Upon the founder's death, Kayiyb Maarab became the head of the Order of Scourges, and she guided her followers with the full severity appropriate to her position. However, even the blood of the Herald could not save her from an early death, or perhaps it was the cause. Certainly she was found in her cell (still barren despite her exalted position) with the scourge in her hand and seven lashes upon her back. She had not yet reached her fourth decade.

Dark Destiny's Scourge is treated as a +3 weapon. It inflicts 2d4+3 damage, and each successful strike also inflicts 1 point of temporary CON damage. The scourge is cursed, however, for it inflicts the same temporary CON damage upon its wielder. More insidiously yet, the wielder is drawn to the faith of the Lawgiver. After each twenty successful lashes, the wielder's alignment moves one step toward Lawful Evil, and after the first such transition, the wielder's connection with any other deity is severed.
Last edited by IanFordam on Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

IanFordam wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:42 pm Lest Jeremy16 think we've completely derailed his thread...
True
IanFordam wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:42 pm Dark Destiny's Scourge
I like it! I was also thinking of having this come from Pharazia but hadn't come up with a background story or its abilities. I like that the dark destiny is to follow the Lawgiver in the end, also has this flagellant aspect which I like a lot ..G.. R.. E.. A.. T...... J.. O.. B...! ! ! :)

Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

IanFordam wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:42 pm Dark Destiny's Scourge
Have you thought of giving it relic status and extra powers for adherents (or should I say deviants) of the Lawgiver?
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Two to go...
Shackles of Shame
Wyrm's Tooth

Shackles of Shame (can't help it but think of the movie Shame starring Michael Fassbender)