Discussing all things Ravenloft
IanFordam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: The Black Vault Haul

Post by IanFordam »

Well, in that case...

Hoarfrost's Hammer

The weapon which became known as Hoarfrost's Hammer was originally forged by Gaspar Maklakov, the blacksmith for the village of Kargo in Vorostokov. He knew that his old hammer would fail soon, and being a cautious man, he was at the end of the process of forging a new one when Kargo was beset by a band of frost ogres from the northern mountains. In his alarm, Gaspar Maklakov called upon an ancient (and perhaps resentful) god of smiths, and he quenched his hammer as the cries of his neighbors filled the night. Feeling that his prayer had been answered, Gaspar Maklakov pulled the still-steaming hammer from the bath and charged into the night. With previously undiscovered strength Gaspar Maklakov smashed the bones of the frost ogres, and the villagers rallied to drive their enemies back into the night. Only later did Gaspar Maklakov learn that he had taken on the appearance and size of a frost ogre himself, and he was nicknamed Hoarfrost ever after. Whenever the frost ogres returned, Hoarfrost would stride forth with his hammer in hand and drive them away. Unfortunately, though, he eventually succumbed to the hammer's curse.

Hoarfrost's hammer ordinarily inflicts damage as a +1 mace, but it becomes a +3 weapon when wielded against giant-kin. Its damage counts as fire damage against creatures vulnerable to fire. Moreover, when its full magic is activated, its bearer gains the cold subtype and the appearance, size, and strength of an ogre as long as the hammer is held. However, with each activation of the hammer's full magic there is a 5% chance that the wielder will permanently lose a point of intelligence, eventually becoming a mere brute. Once the wielder's intelligence drops below 8, they will no longer revert to their natural form.

(What are frost ogres? Ogres with the cold subtype.)
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

I would change the curse. Why should someone get cursed for protecting people from Ogres? Maybe the weapon curse is just taking the permanent shape of a Frost Ogre, with all the social effects of the case.
IanFordam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by IanFordam »

Mistmaster wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:25 am I would change the curse. Why should someone get cursed for protecting people from Ogres? Maybe the weapon curse is just taking the permanent shape of a Frost Ogre, with all the social effects of the case.
My intention was that Gaspar Maklakov wasn't cursed for protecting people from ogres but for neglecting the ancient god of smiths (all ill-tempered version of Svarog, perhaps) until his aid was necessary.

I added the intelligence drain because I wanted an indication of Bad Things Happening before anything external became permanent. Perhaps the better route is to make the return to human form take longer and longer with each usage.

Thanks for the feedback! Further thoughts absolutely welcome.
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

Shadow-walker's Sword

This magical ebony black colored sword with its hilt being crafted to represent two entwined snakes in its grip with their upper part of their bodies and heads forming the sword's rain-guard. This longswoord is exactly what its name implies it to be, a magical sword +2 made of shadowstuff that when its wielder wishes he/she/they can be transported along a coiling path of shadowstuff to the borders of the Plane of Shadow. The curse of this powerful sword is that with each use of its shadow-walking power the cursed individual risks of becoming more insubstantial, gradually becoming an umbrucha, a construct made of shadowsuff, resembling a shadow, that exists only to serve the Fathers of the Fraternity of Shadows. The origins of the Shadow-walker's Sword are interwined with the origins of the Fraternity of Shadows itself and although now presumably destroyed it is still regarded as an important magical weapon to the Fraternity's history. It was created from none other than the legendary founding members of the Fraternity, Lazarus Ikonnas Jerubaal Iskway, Tarnos Senma, Mercator Melanchthon and Adame Nicht. It was one of the first experiments they performed to create the umbrucha and was usually given as a "gift" to troublesome mercenaries or traitorous members of the Fraternity. When Azalin and the Kargat made a purge on the University of Il Aluk and Il Aluk's intellectual community following the First Dead Man’s Campaign in 700 BC he came in possession of this cursed magical sword and placed it in the Black Vault beneath the Grim Fastness.
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Question: Why were the following items destroyed? They don't seem to pose a threat to anyone and some are rather useful.
Jeremy16 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:41 pm Bracelet of Betrayal - a common gold bracelet with a braided pattern engraved on its outer surface, if the wearer tires to lie or cheat the giver it turns black (much like a mood ring would)
Well this seems to be useful to know if someone betrays or lies to you. If I were Van Richten I would keep that. Maybe it should be something that makes the wearer lie or betray someone instead (it is called "of Betrayal" after all).
Jeremy16 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:41 pm Brightbane's Buckler – a small silver shield used by a famous swordsman, provides +1 AC bonus, once per day can be used to cast ray of light, can also be used as a mirror to detect vampires that cast no reflection
Well if I was Van Richten I would surely keep this one. It is only beneficial why would he destroy such a useful item in battling vampires? Where is the catch?
Jeremy16 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:41 pm Decanter of Time – a small crystal bottle shaped like a dragon's body with a water dropper shaped like a dragon's head that doubles as its cap, the water dropper is filled with a specially prepared potion and then placed on top of the bottle to drip down, while the bottle is filling the user's movement speed is triple the normal rate
Again I don't see a side effect in this one it looks like this makes you faster, and it is really similar to one of the hands of power (which were described in the same sourcebook but with major side effects).
Hey! Van Richten keep that too!
Jeremy16 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:41 pm Gambler's Gold – a dozen gold pieces that grants their holder increased luck in games of chance, however a percentage of the winnings gained (the percentage depends on how many times this ability is used) disappears after
Well this could be seen as the most unlawful item from the four described, but still I wouldn't say it is evil. So it helps someone cheat OK and the side effect/"curse" is not that bad, I mean the person who uses it still has some profit.

In general all of these items were supposedly "forged from darkness" I don't see anything dark or evil about them. So far the only reason for the destruction seems to be that they were owned by Azalin, well I didn't see Van Richten going to Castle Avernus and destroying mundane tapestries... (Azalin owns them too).
Jeremy16
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jeremy16 »

Mephisto of the FoS wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:42 am Question: Why were the following items destroyed? They don't seem to pose a threat to anyone and some are rather useful.
Jeremy16 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:41 pm Bracelet of Betrayal - a common gold bracelet with a braided pattern engraved on its outer surface, if the wearer tires to lie or cheat the giver it turns black (much like a mood ring would)
Well this seems to be useful to know if someone betrays or lies to you. If I were Van Richten I would keep that. Maybe it should be something that makes the wearer lie or betray someone instead (it is called "of Betrayal" after all).
Jeremy16 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:41 pm Brightbane's Buckler – a small silver shield used by a famous swordsman, provides +1 AC bonus, once per day can be used to cast ray of light, can also be used as a mirror to detect vampires that cast no reflection
Well if I was Van Richten I would surely keep this one. It is only beneficial why would he destroy such a useful item in battling vampires? Where is the catch?
Jeremy16 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:41 pm Decanter of Time – a small crystal bottle shaped like a dragon's body with a water dropper shaped like a dragon's head that doubles as its cap, the water dropper is filled with a specially prepared potion and then placed on top of the bottle to drip down, while the bottle is filling the user's movement speed is triple the normal rate
Again I don't see a side effect in this one it looks like this makes you faster, and it is really similar to one of the hands of power (which were described in the same sourcebook but with major side effects).
Hey! Van Richten keep that too!
Jeremy16 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:41 pm Gambler's Gold – a dozen gold pieces that grants their holder increased luck in games of chance, however a percentage of the winnings gained (the percentage depends on how many times this ability is used) disappears after
Well this could be seen as the most unlawful item from the four described, but still I wouldn't say it is evil. So it helps someone cheat OK and the side effect/"curse" is not that bad, I mean the person who uses it still has some profit.

In general all of these items were supposedly "forged from darkness" I don't see anything dark or evil about them. So far the only reason for the destruction seems to be that they were owned by Azalin, well I didn't see Van Richten going to Castle Avernus and destroying mundane tapestries... (Azalin owns them too).
1) These were just ideas I came up on the fly. The only one I had a purpose for (at the time) was the Gambler's Gold and I am still working on the mechanics of it.

2) Who says they have to be evil? Maybe Azalin was storing them to keep them out of the hands of do-gooders!

3) As for why Van Richten would want to destroy such useful items, remember the conceit is that they weren't destroyed but ferreted away surreptiously and somehow ended up in this NPC's hands.
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Jeremy16 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:41 pm 2) Who says they have to be evil? Maybe Azalin was storing them to keep them out of the hands of do-gooders!
From Forged of Darkness

"Many of these upon the death of their owners have found their way into the Black Vault of Azalin, magelord of Darkon. Indeed, it is possible that is armory contains more artifacts of evil than any other in Ravenloft. All of these items have a dark side. Without exception, all those who have possessed an item once sealed in the Black Vault have suffered greatly in exchange for calling on the powers of these ill-fated treasures."
Jeremy16 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:41 pm 3) As for why Van Richten would want to destroy such useful items, remember the conceit is that they weren't destroyed but ferreted away surreptiously and somehow ended up in this NPC's hands.
From Forged of Darkness

"It is told that a party of heroes, led by Dr.Rudolph Van Richten himself, once managed to invade the Black Vault and carry off some of its horrible treasures, but this may not be true."

"Items Believed Destroyed
Many items were carted of by Van Richten in his foray. Little is known of their powers, only that each was reported destroyed, if such items can be. All that was recorded were their names ... Artifacts dark and dread filled."

PS
Brightbane's buckle for example should be something extinguishing light (or something baneful to bright, light, goodness etc.) not creating it.
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

Brightbane's buckle for example should be something extinguishing light (or something baneful to bright, light, goodness etc.) not creating it.
[/quote]

Brightbane is not Lightbane. Bright is adjective, it mean that the Buckle is a bane which is bright. Its brightness makes it a bane for the undead. For example, Paledeath does not mean death to pale creature, but that it is death and it relates to pallor.
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Bloodcup of Noth

This silver plated skull cup is tied to one of the most dreaded organisations in the Land of Mists, the Kargat, Azalin's secret police as well as the origins of the Kargatane. Azalin and the Kargat vampires were trying to find a way for them to monitor the domain during daylight hours. Noth was Kargat vampire officer who managed to find the method of creating vampire thralls for Azalin's sectret police. He was the person who organized the first Kargatane ceremony using a silver cup for offering his blood to his subordinates. Noth was foolish enough to try to use his thralls against Azalin himself, sending them to destroy the other Kargat vampires and their coffins but his plan ultimately failed. Azalin destroyed Noth but not before amusingly preserving the skull of the traitorous Kargat and plating it with the melted silver cup the receptacle that was used in the first Kargatane ceremony but was also responsible of almost destroying the secret organisation before it even began. While most of the vampire's remains were incinerated, the vampire's essence was somehow bound to the vampires silvery skull. It managed to extend it's power to charm more members of the Kargatane into making an attempt to avenge his destruction. But Azalin had foreseen this treachery and was prepared for it. Amused by Noth's persistence but also adamant in punishing the traitorous vampire he kept the Bloodcup of Noth inside the Black Vault until it was found and destroyed by Dr. Van Richten. The Bloodcup of Noth has the power to create water but anyone drinking from this skull cup goes under the direct control and influence of Noth's essence as if they were under the effects of a domination spell and is forced to fill the cup with the blood of a demihuman to quench the bloodlust of Noth's essence.

This cursed item has been reported destroyed but it may have survived its "destruction" and ended up in G'Henna.
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Mistmaster wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:47 pm Brightbane is not Lightbane. Bright is adjective, it mean that the Buckle is a bane which is bright. Its brightness makes it a bane for the undead. For example, Paledeath does not mean death to pale creature, but that it is death and it relates to pallor.
Well bane and death are two different things, but I believe you are missing the point, even if this magical item was destructive towards the undead it should have a dark side tailored to it, or else why would Van Richten destroy it?

PS
bright= (1) giving out or reflecting much light; shining.

(2) intelligent and quick-witted.

A bit far-fetched but maybe the cursed buckle makes someone dum.
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

Mephisto of the FoS wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:18 pm
Mistmaster wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:47 pm Brightbane is not Lightbane. Bright is adjective, it mean that the Buckle is a bane which is bright. Its brightness makes it a bane for the undead. For example, Paledeath does not mean death to pale creature, but that it is death and it relates to pallor.
Well bane and death are two different things, but I believe you are missing the point, even if this magical item was destructive towards the undead it should have a dark side tailored to it, or else why would Van Richten destroy it?

PS
bright= (1) giving out or reflecting much light; shining.

(2) intelligent and quick-witted.

A bit far-fetched but maybe the cursed buckle makes someone dum.
Because the boy is rash, sometime (Everlast opinion) Or maybe because it attracts undead.
Jeremy16
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jeremy16 »

Mephisto of the FoS wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:53 pm
Jeremy16 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:41 pm 2) Who says they have to be evil? Maybe Azalin was storing them to keep them out of the hands of do-gooders!
From Forged of Darkness

"Many of these upon the death of their owners have found their way into the Black Vault of Azalin, magelord of Darkon. Indeed, it is possible that is armory contains more artifacts of evil than any other in Ravenloft. All of these items have a dark side. Without exception, all those who have possessed an item once sealed in the Black Vault have suffered greatly in exchange for calling on the powers of these ill-fated treasures."
Jeremy16 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:41 pm 3) As for why Van Richten would want to destroy such useful items, remember the conceit is that they weren't destroyed but ferreted away surreptiously and somehow ended up in this NPC's hands.
From Forged of Darkness

"It is told that a party of heroes, led by Dr.Rudolph Van Richten himself, once managed to invade the Black Vault and carry off some of its horrible treasures, but this may not be true."

"Items Believed Destroyed
Many items were carted of by Van Richten in his foray. Little is known of their powers, only that each was reported destroyed, if such items can be. All that was recorded were their names ... Artifacts dark and dread filled."

PS
Eh, I know we differ on this but I think of canon more as a springboard than a straightjacket.

In canon, we have a male Vistani with the Sight which should make him a Dukkar (Vito from Death Ascendant).
In canon, there are 5 moons over Nova Vaasa and 3 different origins for Tristan Hiregaard.

Just because it's mentioned in canon doesn't mean I am bound to keep it around if it doesn't work.

I put the conceit of this idea up front on the original post. If we were going by canon, all these items have already been destroyed. But where's the fun in that?

If your main complaint is that these items are not dark or cursed enough, well... I would say if they are going to be of any use in game they have to confer some advantage to the player. Why make something so awful no PC in their right mind would want to even pick it up, let alone use it?
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Jeremy16 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:54 am Eh, I know we differ on this but I think of canon more as a springboard than a straightjacket.
I was just answering to your "who says they have to be evil?" question as well as contradicting "they ended up in this NPC's (Van Richten's) hands" since it was him and a bunch of do gooders who opened the Vault in the first place.
Jeremy16 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:54 am In canon, we have a male Vistani with the Sight which should make him a Dukkar (Vito from Death Ascendant).
In canon, there are 5 moons over Nova Vaasa and 3 different origins for Tristan Hiregaard.
Well both of what you mentioned were written by Lisa Smedman who while I really like her scenario's was never good in following previous canon. As for Tristan (or is it Tristen Hiregaard?) we both know that 2e Nova Vaasa was a mess (especially Sir T) we have the Campaign Setting version, the novel version and the Ravenloft Monstrous Compedium II version. But most canon is not problematic and William W. Connors who wrote Forged of Darkness was trying really hard to follow previous canon (he even made a Ravenloft timeline "setting things right" even with relation to other D&D worlds/campaigns. As for the five moons well Sithicus had Nuitari so while it was a strange concept to have a different sky in each domain this (Nuitari) somehow made it to canon. By the way she probably wrote that too as When the Black Roses Bloom was cowritten by her and James Lowder (apparently she has a thing for moons).
Jeremy16 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:54 am Just because it's mentioned in canon doesn't mean I am bound to keep it around if it doesn't work.
Off course you don't have to, but again I was answering to your "who says they have to be evil?" question.

I also have made changes to canon that didn't work, as I did with Vito Romenza trying to patch this up (inconsistency with canon) in QtR#28, but this seemed like a necessity. Azalin's collection of cursed magical objects on the other hand does seem good as a concept or else the Black Vault would be like a typical vault filled with magical treasure.

:azalin: "Where is the fun in that?"

Probably Azalin's main idea for the Black Vault was to punish anyone stupid enough to steal from him, after all he is a master in making elaborate spider web plans.
Burglar #1: Hey I found a map leading to Azalin Rex's treasure and you know what we don't even have to go to Castle Avernus it is located under the Grim Fastness.

Burglar #2: Are you stupid the Grim Fastness may be better than breaking into Castle Avernus, but still sounds like suicide to me. Even if we manage to survive we will probably get caught and they won't even have to carry us there since we will have already broken in our prison ourselves.

Burglar #1: Think about all the treasure waiting for us there... I am telling you I have a map. We won't break in we will dig in. It's going to be easy we just go in take the treasure then go out. It's going to be like stealing candy from a baby.

Later on...

Burglar #1: Grey Realm take me... Why is Azalin's vault filled with so many garbage? What is this?... A hobby horse?... Really?... What is he a toddler?

Burglar #2: I guess he is a hoarder... Oh! there is this candy you mentioned before...

:azalin: <------------Azalin looking into his crystal ball...
o

Jeremy16 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:54 am I put the conceit of this idea up front on the original post. If we were going by canon, all these items have already been destroyed. But where's the fun in that?
Well canon says "Items Believed Destroyed"
Jeremy16 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:54 am If your main complaint is that these items are not dark or cursed enough, well... I would say if they are going to be of any use in game they have to confer some advantage to the player. Why make something so awful no PC in their right mind would want to even pick it up, let alone use it?
Well I believe that was the concept of Forged of Darkness, a list of items that may be useful but troublesome if not worse to adventurers (if they happen to own one of them), but they are not necessarily meant to be used by PC's as regular magical items. These objects could be the focus of an adventure of someone else using them and the PC's try to pierce the mystery behind recent disappearances or murders. These cursed items may be the reason for the corruption of a NPC the PCs know or even a PC. What if an evil NPC the PCs battled and destroyed had been using or owned one of these items and the PC's end up owning it instead. The PC's now try to find a way to destroy the cursed item before one of them succumbs to the item's evil curse and does something unforgivable or something happens to that PC etc. It may also be a red herring, the PC's learn about a cursed item's existence and believe that it is responsible for the crimes they investigate. They could never actually encounter the actual item since it was never responsible for the crimes, it may be just a dark story they hear in one of Mordent's dockside bars or it could be that the villain told them a story about the existence of such an item to hide their own actions and turn the PC's attention to a goose hunt. It could be that the villain does not even own the cursed item in but is seeking to obtain it (like Loht did with the Sword of Arak) There are many possibilities, of how to use these and not just as magical items that boost the PC's or are troublesome to them but even as stories to give flavour to your game.
Jeremy16 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:54 am Why make something so awful no PC in their right mind would want to even pick it up, let alone use it?
Well I guess when they find the Bracelet of Betrayal you don't say this is the Bracelet of Betrayal but rather a golden bracelet filled with rubies or something. Then if they search if it is magical using a Detect Magic spell they may discover it is, if it was made to be a magical item but if it is just cursed they can't get any magical reading from it. An identify spell will probably won't work as well (as it doesn't work in artifacts) only a Legend Lore would and they could learn the items story, powers and curse. But Legend Lore has a casting time of 10-40 minutes and costs 250 gp in material components. Would anyone spend their money in casting this on a golden ruby bracelet, and who says that the Bracelet of Betrayal looks expensive? Maybe it is just a mundane bracelet, would then anyone spend 250 gp and a high level spell to learn anything about it? Do they do this with all items they find? Probably not. Imagine the horror of finding such an item and then giving it to someone and without knowing triggering it's curse. Or imagine selling it to someone and then discovering a few hours later that it is inside one of your pockets or appears on your arm after placing your hand inside one of your pockets (because you have already attuned to the cursed item). Then is when you probably speculate that this item is cursed and try to get rid of it or try to discover its story and destroy it before something bad happens. This I believe is the use of such an item in a game, then again the cursed item's power could be so enticing the PC may opt to keep it (and its curse) complicating things for the party.

Check the link below for more cursed item mechanics and adventure ideas.
https://thinkdm.org/2018/06/30/cursed-items/

The following is a 1996 review by Trenton Webb on Forged of Darkness published in Arcane magazine.

"All referees who manipulate a Ravenloft world will want to unearth these items. Low-levellers can be sent to recover or transport them for others, while more potent players will get some serious fun from playing with these toys. They're dangerous, but for Ravenloft that's ideal."

PS :mrgreen:
Jeremy16 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:54 am Eh, I know we differ on this but I think of canon more as a springboard than a straightjacket.

IanFordam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by IanFordam »

Mephisto of the FoS wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:12 pm This cursed item has been reported destroyed but it may have survived its "destruction" and ended up in G'Henna.
Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice.
IanFordam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by IanFordam »

Goblet of Gladness

Although much Dementlieuse tableware provides examples of tastelessness through excessive decoration, the cup now known as the goblet of gladness is exquisite in its simplicity: made from hammered silver with a gilded interior, bearing a simple design around the rim. With just a hint of imagination, the curves of the design become smiles.

Anyone who drinks from the goblet reacts as if a friends spell had been cast upon the person who filled the goblet. The same effect afflicts anyone who drinks a liquid which has been poured from the goblet within the previous 2d4 minutes. By judicious and hasty pouring, the person who fills the goblet of gladness may so swiftly enchant an entire salon that the attendees pay no heed to the oddity of filling wineglasses from another goblet.

Subsequent draughts have stronger effects, even when they are widely separated in time. With a third drink or pour from the goblet of gladness, the enchantment acts more like a charm. (Saving throws apply.) One or more draughts beyond that, charm becomes obsession. Only when obsession has taken solid root is the person who poured so many drinks likely to realize something has gone terribly wrong...

(Speaking of tastelessness.)