Rewriting questions

Discussing all things Ravenloft
yaoihuntressearth
Conspirator
Conspirator

Rewriting questions

Post by yaoihuntressearth »

For those of you who've made entries for the netbooks, looking back after all these years, what would you have revised? Feel free to share, because there's stuff I'd redo on mine.
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Rewriting questions

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

Alfred Timothy: Daddy?
Nathan Timothy: Yes, son.
Alfred Timothy: What does regret mean?
Nathan Timothy: Well son, the funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something that you haven't done. And by the way, If you see your mom this weekend, will you be sure and
Tell her...

I haven't thought about it much, but if there are stuff in the Markovian survey to fix there is still time until the SoS Gaz.

PS
Some reviewers have written that I write too much information or give too many Dread Possibilities or alternative possibilities etc. Personally while I understand the reasons for these critics and believe they are right, I disagree as far as RPG goes that "less is more", I believe that a minor detail or extra info may be the spark/inspiration for a DM to develop an idea to a whole campaign, adventure or something else.
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
WolfKook
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by WolfKook »

Fun thing to ask... I'm currently reviewing my old "Alternate Races" article, and I guess I could've been a little more sensitive with some of them, especially with those which have real-life mirrors, like the dwarves.

I guess it would've been just a matter of writing them with a little more care...
"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom"
William Blake
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

Yes, there are things I would modify.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

The main one I guess I'll be able to fix if we ever get the final SoS Gaz together. I regret the connotations that Althea got darklordship for taking revenge on an abuser and for suffering from post-partum depression. I tried to tread the line between "irredeemable evil" and "tragic and relatable" and I think I fell too far on the relatable side. Not sure of an easy fix, as I do like the backstory I gave her a lot and wouldn't want to completely rewrite it, but maybe just a matter of tweaking by making Stelios more sympathetic and making Althea's evil more clear.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

You could make Stelios the Darklord, instead. I did it. :D
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Mistmaster wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:49 pm You could make Stelios the Darklord, instead. I did it. :D
Stelios is the diminutive form of the name Stylianos (Greek: Στυλιανός) given to honor St. Stylianos (of Paphlagonia), a Greek Orthodox saint, the protector of children, born in Adrianopolis sometime between 400 AD and 500 AD.. The name is derived from the Greek word στυλος (stylos) that means "pillar". The Bollandist Hippolyte Delehaye argued that Stylianos never existed, but was a confusion with Alypios the Stylite, who shares a saint's day and city of birth, with the attribute 'stylite' being confused with a cognomen Στυλιανός (both derived from στύλος 'pillar'). A number of laws against paganism were issued towards the end of Byzantine emperor Theodosius I reign, in later 4th century AD, before St. Stylianos's birth.

Whatever the truth behind its origin it is a Christian name and not appropriate for an Ancient Greek themed domain in my opinion.

PS
Stelios is a character in the film 300, a film full of historical inaccuracies.
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

Meaning stone pillar Stelios is instead perfectly appropriate for my Demise, as Medusa/Maedar culture revolves around rock and stone.
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

If you were Greek it would be kind of funny to have a NPC named Stelios appearing in your adventure... :roll:

On the other hand you are not so I guess it is just a name. :mrgreen:
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

Mephisto of the FoS wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:54 am If you were Greek it would be kind of funny to have a NPC named Stelios appearing in your adventure... :roll:
That is understandable.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Mephisto of the FoS wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:54 am If you were Greek it would be kind of funny to have a NPC named Stelios appearing in your adventure... :roll:

On the other hand you are not so I guess it is just a name. :mrgreen:
Yup, not having a native Greek speaker like Mephisto to check my names over was another regret. :lol:
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Mistmaster wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:26 am Meaning stone pillar Stelios is instead perfectly appropriate for my Demise, as Medusa/Maedar culture revolves around rock and stone.
Stylianos would be better but still... (cringe).

Stylos Greek=στύλος: means pillar, column etc.

Petra Greek=πέτρα: means stone.

So stone pillar would be petrostylos=πετρόστυλος and then maybe Petrostylianos is a name I can think of coming from that but still is a bit weird.
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:16 pm The main one I guess I'll be able to fix if we ever get the final SoS Gaz together. I regret the connotations that Althea got darklordship for taking revenge on an abuser and for suffering from post-partum depression.
Althea could be tied with Theros from Mythic Odyssey of Theros. This 5th edition sourcebook details the Theros campaign setting (Magic: The Gathering) inspired by Greek myths and culture but with different gods and goddesses.
Speedwagon
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Speedwagon »

Would the references to Theros be mostly lore-based or would there be some sort of mechanical references, like magic items from Theros that got corrupted by the dread realms or something else like that? I like the idea, I’m just wondering how said link would go beyond surface level, like how your Falkovnia files go beyond surface level with the deep ties of Drakov (and Falkovnia as a whole) and Taladas.
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

yaoihuntressearth wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:25 pm For those of you who've made entries for the netbooks, looking back after all these years, what would you have revised? Feel free to share, because there's stuff I'd redo on mine.
If you need to add anything to your articles, mistipedia's post for your article can be edited to suggest change. Just identify it as "author's rewrite"
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)