Children of the Night: Walking Dead

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Children of the Night: Walking Dead

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

KingCorn wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:12 pm How about one of the left behind servants of Soth, one of his 13 knights, causing strife in Sitchicus.
This is a fun idea though (maybe it could be included in aCotN:Ancient Dead.
Mistmaster wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:25 am Adventurers ending in a domain where undead are often friendly and dealing with the cultural shock.
We have Marbh-Cathair, The City of the Dead in Keening where undead continue to live their lives as before becoming undead.
KingCorn wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:40 am How about an Animus Rex? One of the corrupted elemental spirits which can raise the dead (a pyre elemental or grave elemental). I even have a good idea for one from my CotN: Elementals idea: The Mound.
This is a nice idea, also the new thread.
IanFordam wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:17 pm How 'bout something using the lebendtod? Preferably set away from Graben Island where lebendtod are already the ubiquitous adversary.
That was an oversight on my part great idea, maybe Colin Graben (from the Nocturnal Sea Gazetteer) I love this guy, really terrifying.
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Jeremy16
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jeremy16 »

KingCorn wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:40 am How about an Animus Rex? One of the corrupted elemental spirits which can raise the dead (a pyre elemental or grave elemental). I even have a good idea for one from my CotN: Elementals idea: The Mound.

The Mound is an ancient grave elemental, out in any one of the less civilized domains (Invidia, Kartakass, Barovia, ect) that has slept from ages and ages. However, any bodies left on the hill will be in the ground within a few hours, even if you don't give a grave (the ground just absorbs them). A necromancer could be trying to take advantage of its powers as an Animus, but risk waking the thing and causing disaster.

You mean like this guy?

http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/spragg.htm
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

Mephisto of the FoS wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:19 am
Mistmaster wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:25 am Adventurers ending in a domain where undead are often friendly and dealing with the cultural shock.
We have Marbh-Cathair, The City of the Dead in Keening where undead continue to live their lives as before becoming undead.
Yes but Keening in canon is too much hostile as a domain.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

I would say keening is next to impossible to survive, thanks to the not-friendly undead and the darklord that can kill every living thing in the domain by screaming loudly.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

alhoon wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:51 pm I would say keening is next to impossible to survive, thanks to the not-friendly undead and the darklord that can kill every living thing in the domain by screaming loudly.
Unless they encounter her during thé day or have a "gift" for her...
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

Or they invest in upgraded versions / magic items of Hide from undead. Creating a baby-shaped golem (not a dread one) might also be good.
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Rock of the Fraternity wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:05 pm Or they invest in upgraded versions / magic items of Hide from undead. Creating a baby-shaped golem (not a dread one) might also be good.
...or alchemical baby child (preferably with arachnid legs...
Speedwagon
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Speedwagon »

Mephisto of the FoS wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:15 pm
Rock of the Fraternity wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:05 pm Or they invest in upgraded versions / magic items of Hide from undead. Creating a baby-shaped golem (not a dread one) might also be good.
...or alchemical baby child (preferably with arachnid legs...
For a second that sounded like 5e Ivan Dilisnya, with the mechanical cradle + spider legs. But then I reread and you said 'baby child', not 'man-child'.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

I don't think hide from undead works on darklords.
As for a "gift"... that's a nice way to get hit by a big curse.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

alhoon wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:15 am
Tristessa can't be everywhere... ^^;
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

alhoon wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:15 am
I don't think that there is any canon rule which says Darklords ignore Hide from Undead by default.
KingCorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by KingCorn »

Instead of the Mound, my other undead Dread Elemental is The Unliving Lightning (corny name I know). Born from an attempt at creating a Flesh Golem gone awry, this unique Dread Element is compelled to arc between bodies, animating them as Charged Zombies, which have an unnatural speed and necrotic lightning within.
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

Ideally, you'd want to have at least one of each of the three subtypes of the Walking Dead. Several Restless and Hungry Dead examples have been provided, so I'd like to see one the exemplifies the terror of the Obedient Dead:
-a minion of some kind (a mercenary, hitman, assassin, or perhaps even a familiar or former dread companion) that always had the urge to kill in life, but lacked the will of self-initiation on targets, always taking them on order. On a mission, the killer was slain and reanimated by a necromancer favoring the killer as a useful tool, before the necromancer met a gory ending at the hands of his enemies. Now in undeath, the killer is compelled to find master after master and kill at their orders. The problem is that if the master seems distracted or fails to provide orders, they may find themselves the undead's next target as the undead approaches his former master's enemies. Potentially any walking dead could work for this, but a sentient boneless (or perhaps the similar, more powerful monster the forsaken shell from Libris Mortis) might especially be appropriate.

-A valiant knight, so beloved by her people and her lord, that when she died an undignified, unexpected death, the populace somehow just wished for her return. The knight rose from the grave, reanimated by rapture, but a shadow of her former self. Now decades later, the tireless knight walks obeying the whims of a fickle and dependent society.

-The Sage's Brain, a brain in a jar preserved merely to answer the questions of its creator. Following the creator's death, the Sage's Brain is compelled to answer questions, but usually does so in the most cryptic, misleading, and creatively cruel ways possible.
Speedwagon
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Speedwagon »

The Lesser Evil wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:30 pm Ideally, you'd want to have at least one of each of the three subtypes of the Walking Dead. Several Restless and Hungry Dead examples have been provided, so I'd like to see one the exemplifies the terror of the Obedient Dead:
-a minion of some kind (a mercenary, hitman, assassin, or perhaps even a familiar or former dread companion) that always had the urge to kill in life, but lacked the will of self-initiation on targets, always taking them on order. On a mission, the killer was slain and reanimated by a necromancer favoring the killer as a useful tool, before the necromancer met a gory ending at the hands of his enemies. Now in undeath, the killer is compelled to find master after master and kill at their orders. The problem is that if the master seems distracted or fails to provide orders, they may find themselves the undead's next target as the undead approaches his former master's enemies. Potentially any walking dead could work for this, but a sentient boneless (or perhaps the similar, more powerful monster the forsaken shell from Libris Mortis) might especially be appropriate.

-A valiant knight, so beloved by her people and her lord, that when she died an undignified, unexpected death, the populace somehow just wished for her return. The knight rose from the grave, reanimated by rapture, but a shadow of her former self. Now decades later, the tireless knight walks obeying the whims of a fickle and dependent society.

-The Sage's Brain, a brain in a jar preserved merely to answer the questions of its creator. Following the creator's death, the Sage's Brain is compelled to answer questions, but usually does so in the most cryptic, misleading, and creatively cruel ways possible.
That knight example feels like it could fit quite well in the Shadowlands Cluster, or somewhere else that knights and chivalric values are emphasized in the culture level. Someplace like Sithicus, perhaps? Or even a frontier town in Darkon. And the Sage's Brain definitely feels Lamordian.
KingCorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by KingCorn »

A little off topic, more Toben related then CotN related, but what if in Necropolis or in Keening, their is just an entire village/neighborhood of Tobens? Just victims of the grinning death that after escaping trouble just mingled togther and drifted to these undead-safe realms, and becoming a weird powerblock there?