Questionable Content?

Post questions and suggestions here
crogonint
Conspirator
Conspirator

Questionable Content?

Post by crogonint »

I just ran across the Mistipedia article about Arabelle. This is like the seventh article I've ran across in the last few months that had me scratching my head.

As most of us know, it's utterly impossible for Madame Eva to be Strahd's sister in the standard timeline. Mainly because Madame Eva is of a race that can (seemingly) travel the breadth of the space/time continuum at will. It's one of the main reasons that WotC announced that CoS was in an alternate timeline back in the day, instead of repairing the massive incongruities that it caused. I mean, technically STRAHD is not Barovian "royalty", let along nobility, but certainly Madame Eva cannot be his sister in the standard timeline/continuum. (Which is not to say that it's not an entertaining idea, because it is.)

YES, most of us know that CoS is a separate timeline, but there will always be a steady stream of people who don't automatically know that. To make matters worse, most of these pages have the "This content is CANON" blurb pasted across the top. I REALLY think articles like this one ought to be labeled as Questionable Canon instead. The responsible thing to do would be to explain to people WHY CoS made a mess of this particular point (although that is a debatable element, I admit). However, at the very least we ought to have some sort of special disclaimer which states that it is ONLY canon in the CoS Timeline, but is broken in the standard timeline. ..or some such thing.

Just for the record, this isn't ACTUALLY my first post here. My old account was under an old email or something.. probably Yahoo or Hotmail something. I don't see the need to comment on here but every few years though, so this time around I just created a new account, as I couldn't easily find the old one. :/
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Questionable Content?

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

crogonint wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:59 pm I just ran across the Mistipedia article about Arabelle. This is like the seventh article I've ran across in the last few months that had me scratching my head.

As most of us know, it's utterly impossible for Madame Eva to be Strahd's sister in the standard timeline. Mainly because Madame Eva is of a race that can (seemingly) travel the breadth of the space/time continuum at will. It's one of the main reasons that WotC announced that CoS was in an alternate timeline back in the day, instead of repairing the massive incongruities that it caused. I mean, technically STRAHD is not Barovian "royalty", let along nobility, but certainly Madame Eva cannot be his sister in the standard timeline/continuum. (Which is not to say that it's not an entertaining idea, because it is.)

YES, most of us know that CoS is a separate timeline, but there will always be a steady stream of people who don't automatically know that. To make matters worse, most of these pages have the "This content is CANON" blurb pasted across the top. I REALLY think articles like this one ought to be labeled as Questionable Canon instead. The responsible thing to do would be to explain to people WHY CoS made a mess of this particular point (although that is a debatable element, I admit). However, at the very least we ought to have some sort of special disclaimer which states that it is ONLY canon in the CoS Timeline, but is broken in the standard timeline. ..or some such thing.
Yes probably CoS Canon or 5e Canon is more appropriate.
crogonint wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:59 pm Just for the record, this isn't ACTUALLY my first post here. My old account was under an old email or something.. probably Yahoo or Hotmail something. I don't see the need to comment on here but every few years though, so this time around I just created a new account, as I couldn't easily find the old one. :/
I know how to recognise a spam bot when I see one, you don't fool me with your sweet talk... :D :mrgreen: :azalin:
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Our stance has been... it's all canon. Just maybe a different canon. :)

the 5e stuff doesn't contradict the 2e and 3e stuff. It deliberately re-writes it. So that's the canon now. But they can't take our old books away. So that's canon too.

We are long overdue for a way to label the different timelines in Mistipedia. It's something I've been meaning to do for a long time. Maybe I'll get to it someday soon. or maybe someone will beat me to it. (remember, anyone can edit Mistipedia...)
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
IanFordam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by IanFordam »

I took a pass at adding 5e-canon and 5e-canon-small templates (along with relevant support pages) to Mistipedia. Given my utter lack of graphical talent, I did not create new images, but instead I reused the images for canon.

The only existing page which I modified was [[Teresa Bleysmith]], which I used as my working example.

I assume that these changes can be readily reverted if this is not the path that the Fraternity would prefer to take.