The Pride Eater

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

The Pride Eater

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

In Circle of Darkness in the G'Henna Outland encounters there is a monster called the Pride Eater. Is this a specific monster detailed in any monstrous compendium/manual or is it a unique non detailed monster (open for creation)?

Maybe an elven crimson death?
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Joël of the FoS

Re: The Pride Eater

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Indeed, I think it never was defined before. I scanned the A-Z Mangrum blurbs, and it's not in there.
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
IanFordam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by IanFordam »

I never found any mention of the Pride Eater outside of Circle of Darkness, not even in the loose-leaf Monstrous Compendium. I think you're free to create something entertaining without fear of contradicting canon!
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

So this is probably an oversight; I doubt they would include a name of a monster without the monster in question being detailed in an adventure.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
IanFordam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by IanFordam »

Except that this is Circle of Darkness, home to golden dogs, lost spirits, and the infamous wereweasel, none of which are properly detailed. Clearly Drew Bittner had considerable confidence in our ability to fill in the gaps. :)
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Well I made a better reading of Circle of Darkness and it seems I was right...

Pride Eater: An undead crimson mist which feeds on pride, each hit also draining 2d4 Charisma. Lost Charisma recovered at 1 point per day. If Charisma falls to 0, becomes a mongrelman.

A vampiric mist, also known as crimson death or crimson mist, was an incorporeal undead creature that fed on its victims' blood and body fluids.
Vampiric mists were the remains of former vampires that, whether through massive damage or exposure to sunlight, dissolved into mist and were prevented from returning to their resting places in order to regenerate their physical forms. In that state, they were stripped of all personality and intelligence until only their thirst for blood remained.

There were other legends that suggested that crimson deaths could be the lost souls of mortals that had been turned into vampires. Legends tell of a connection between crimson deaths and vampires. One tale suggests that, when an undead vampire is destroyed, its spirit is transformed into a crimson death. Another tale suggests that, when a vampire is created, the monster’s lost soul is reborn elsewhere as a crimson death. This legend also suggests that a vampire may be restored to normal life if it is rejoined by its crimson death counterpart. A third legend says that extremely evil air elementals are condemned and cast out into the Prime Material plane in the forms of crimson deaths. The creatures originally known as vampiric mists, meanwhile, were first thought to be immature crimson deaths, but were later discovered to in fact be the separate creation of a great vampire wizard.

I have already started working on the Pride Eater's background...

PS
Golden Dogs - use Wolves, change to any Thing...??? (something like a mimic-wolfwere ???)
IanFordam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by IanFordam »

I didn't mean to imply that Circle of Darkness leaves us completely on our own. Between the G'Hennan Bestiary and the monster matrix on the poster map, there are plenty of juicy tidbits provided.
IanFordam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by IanFordam »

Oh, and as for the golden dogs, they reminded me of a story I read in my very younger years. Based upon the little I remembered, I saw the golden dogs more as tricksters rather than malicious. Ravenloft being Ravenloft, though, that interpretation may be less threatening than you're looking for.

(Incidentally, the story was https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hedley_Kow. Apparently there were no dogs in the actual story. I would like to point out that I last read it a REALLY long time ago.)

Looking forward to see what you come up with for the Pride Eater!
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

IanFordam wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:28 pmIncidentally, the story was https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hedley_Kow. Apparently there were no dogs in the actual story. I would like to point out that I last read it a REALLY long time ago.)
Talk about being optimistic...
IanFordam wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:28 pm Looking forward to see what you come up with for the Pride Eater!
Me too :)

I have already began writing! I have finished with the stats and now I am working on the background and introduction fiction.
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

One Pride Eater ready for table 29!
IanFordam
Evil Genius