Culinary dark lords?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
jules
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Culinary dark lords?

Post by jules »

Any domains created or otherwise that are culinary based? If so what would the dark lord be?
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Culinary dark lords?

Post by Manofevil »

Hannibal Lecter?
Do us a favor Luv, Stick yer 'ead in a bucket a kick it!

So, gentlemen, that's how it is. Until Grissome.... resurfaces, I'm the acting president, and I say starting with this... anniversary festival, we run this city into the ground! :D
HyperionSol
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by HyperionSol »

A Domain where there is abundant food and temptations with the finest foods, but the Darklord is someone who ruined the careers of many cooks and chefs merely because they did not serve him exactly what he wanted, and they are one of those finicky types who demand special treatment and custom-made foods. They are cursed to be unable to eat anything, only growing hungrier with fine foods, forced to eat only the worst the domain has to offer.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Ivan Disilnya with his curse to not be able to taste and his anger that other people can taste things, forcing people to go to a reasonable balance between showing too much enjoyment in their food or too little.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
tomokaicho
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tomokaicho »

Manofevil wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:02 pm Hannibal Lecter?
"Hannibal. It rhymes with cannibal".

That would be a good line for a depraved cannibal NPC named Hannibal to say to a PC.
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

Cockaigne of medieval folklore might serve as a basis for this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockaigne
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

Ghenna is all about starvation and food deprivation.

I can imagine higher ups in the false church gorge themselves on food, so have chefs and cooks from all over.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

The Sawyer Family from the Texas Chainsaw Massacre movies are cannibals. Maybe they could be stylized for this.
Do us a favor Luv, Stick yer 'ead in a bucket a kick it!

So, gentlemen, that's how it is. Until Grissome.... resurfaces, I'm the acting president, and I say starting with this... anniversary festival, we run this city into the ground! :D
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

tomokaicho wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:53 am
Manofevil wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:02 pm Hannibal Lecter?
"Hannibal. cannibal".

That would be a good line for a depraved cannibal NPC named Hannibal to say to a PC.
It rhymes with caliban too, "Hannibal the caliban".

About Caliban
Caliban is the antagonist in the play "The Tempest". Banished from Algiers, the witch Sycorax was left on an isle, pregnant with Caliban, and died before Prospero's (main character) arrival. Caliban, despite his inhuman nature, clearly loved and worshipped his mother, referring to Setebos as his mother's god, and appealing to her powers against Prospero.
In the 19th century there was a theory that Caliban's name came from an Arabic insult, يا كلب [ya kalib], meaning “you dog”. Just like today, Arabic was the common language of North Africa, so it is possible that Shakespeare had somehow heard this expression and decided to use it in his play. Since 1889, it has been suggested that Shakespeare may have named Caliban after the Tunisian city Calibia (now called Kelibia) that is seen on maps of the Mediterranean dating to 1529.

About Hannibal
I am always amazed of how pop culture can overshadow someone who has been known for more than 2000 years as one of the greatest military minds of the ancient world. Hannibal was a Carthaginian general and statesman who commanded the forces of Carthage, in their battle against the Roman Republic during the Second Punic War. Carthage and Rome were the two superpowers at the time, fighting for control over the Mediterranean Sea. Carthage was the capital city of the ancient Carthaginian civilisation, on the eastern side of the Lake of Tunis (in what is now Tunisia, in North Africa). He is widely regarded as one of the greatest military commanders in history. His well-planned strategies allowed him to conquer and ally with several Italian cities that were previously allied to Rome. Hannibal occupied most of southern Italy for 15 years. Hannibal's crossing of the Alps in 218 BC was one of the major events of the Second Punic War, and one of the most celebrated achievements of any military force in ancient warfare.

Carthage was one of the most important trading hubs of the Ancient Mediterranean and one of the most affluent cities of the classical world.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Kart ... _4.0).webm
Attachments
Hannibal's army crossing the Alps.jpg
Hannibal's army crossing the Alps.jpg (75.08 KiB) Viewed 1357 times
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

jules wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:10 pm Any domains created or otherwise that are culinary based? If so what would the dark lord be?
Gargantua, a gigantic king, in the 16th century pentalogy of novels The Life of Gargantua and of Pantagruel written by François Rabelais. Gargantua has a great capacity for food and drink.

Gargantua was often used as a satire targeted against royals, like the following French print from 1791 (French Revolution era) How the modern Gargantua and his family once dined, showing Louis XVI, Marie-Antoinette, the future Louis XVIII and Charles X, and other members of the Bourbon family au grand couvert.

In France, people could indulge their curiosity at the “grand couvert”, a ritual in which the king and queen ate their dinner in front of members of the public. The tradition is usually associated with Louis XIV, who dined au grand couvert at Versailles almost every evening, surrounded by his family and a crowd of courtiers. Louis XV disliked the ceremony, which was governed by elaborate rules of etiquette. He took more of his meals in private. By the end of their reign, Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette dined au grand couvert only on Sundays.

Maybe it can be used in Dementlieu's false history and the ritual continues, watching the Council of Brilliance dine in public.
Attachments
French_satirical_print.jpg
French_satirical_print.jpg (184.15 KiB) Viewed 1351 times
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Another canon culinary darklord is Marquis Stezen d'Polarno, his domain's name Ghastria sais a lot about the domain's connection with food (gastronomy=the art or science of good eating).

Ghastria is infested with ghasts, ghouls and carrion crawlers and although the land is lush with greenery and bountiful harvests, no food produced here has any flavor whatsoever.
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

And there is always Vlad Drakov...
"warning : mature content"
VIEW CONTENT:
Vlad.jpg
Vlad.jpg (240.66 KiB) Viewed 1254 times
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

The Pillars of Strength to determine the might of a country (Falkovnia has at least 2).
Warfare, Diplomacy, Commercial Trade and Farming as shown in the following video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAXf1_dcdDE