Missing Villages of Barovia

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Carrion Crow
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Missing Villages of Barovia

Post by Carrion Crow »

As I am currently trying to map Barovia for my own campaign (which is post-Requiem) I have been looking to add all canon locations. The Mistipedia lists all the canon settlements, and I have town plans and locations for the village of Barovia, Vallaki, Krezk and the ruins of Berez. Obviously, I also know where Teufeldorf and Zeidenburg are, although I have no town plans for the latter two.

The MCS map in the Mitispedia shows the approximate locations of the canon settlements of Cuzau and Hoessla, but where are Renika and Jarvinak located? As these are from "The War Against Azalin", I am assuming these would be in the area covered by the original Barovia, before the annexation of Gundar, but has anyone got any idea where these would be?

I no longer have my copy of the above novel, so can't check for additional information, so am turning to my learned brethren for assistance.
tomokaicho
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Missing Villages of Barovia

Post by tomokaicho »

There are hundreds of missing villages of Barovia.
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Renika and Jarnivak are from I Strahd (the first).
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

There is an entire cast of boyars and burgomeisters so I think there must be several more villages and even towns. I remember a couple of villages in I, Strahd the war against Azalin but not who they were.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
brothersale
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brothersale »

Lets see,

• Lowentum (The Evil Eye)
• Renika (I, Strahd pp. 51-60)
• Jarvinak (I, Strahd pp. 51-60)
• Berez (I, Strahd pp. 270-300, I, Strahd: The War Against Azalin pp. 84-101, 106, 120-124, 218-223, 229-230,king of the dead)
• Cuzau (I, Strahd)
• Uselix (VRG:TC pp.226-227, 230-231)
• Hoessla (175-178)
• Town of Forgotten Whispers (The Order of the Ebon Gargoyle)

i tend to place Berez between Krezk and Vallaki, i tend to view it as a town that did not recovered from the ousting of the Tergs losing lot of its infrastructure during the war, and its population after war to Krezk and Vallaki. it then suffered an Azalin blowin a hole in it, furthering its decline as it became regarded as a cursed place.

Cuzau, Hoessla, Uselix, Renika, Jarvinak, and the town of forgotten whispers i tend to place following the Balinoks down before linking up with Immol. Cuzau is the most northern thus is has most contact with traders, and the start of a mountain trail leading to the others. I tie these settlements into the CotN:D White Fiend as they would be distant from Strahd's rule/protection and somewhat closer to Forlorn's Goblyns raids
All great movements require a few martyrs... -Moebius (soulreaver 2)
brothersale
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brothersale »

i just checked the map you mentioned and both Uselix & Lowentum are on the map.

Lowentum is on the border with Invidia and Uselix is near Cuzau & Hoessla
All great movements require a few martyrs... -Moebius (soulreaver 2)
Carrion Crow
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Carrion Crow »

Thanks Brother Sale, that's really helpful. I do still have my hardback of I,Strahd, so can check those pages for further info.

The map for Curse of Strahd does place Berez a little south of Vallaki on the Luna River, so I'll probably use that location. I'll also have to check the VRG for Uselix, as whilst I saw it on the MCS map, I couldn't recall where it had come from.
Strahdsbuddy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Strahdsbuddy »

The maps in the Core Genesis Porject v4 include these villages. It is in the Mausoleum

https://www.fraternityofshadows.com/Mau ... ect_v4.pdf
Get the Core Genesis Project V4 in the Mausoleum.

Check out the Ravenloft Cartographic Society on Facebook