Going Back to Ravenloft...You All Benefit

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Going Back to Ravenloft...You All Benefit

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

It's maximum printable size is around 18cm X 18cm (300dpi). If I turn it to halftone I can make it bigger (48,61cm X 50,55cm) but it will be black and white and it is too big to attach so I uploaded it (it is 34 MB).

Download link
https://we.tl/t-VQHGBuVJmq
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Rucht Lilavivat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rucht Lilavivat »

So, I've talked about the House of Lament a lot. Here are my maps that I've made for that adventure. They are all on DungeonFog. If you use that program, you can find these on their public map menu.

Here are the first two levels. They match the description in the rooms of the Adventure.

Rucht Lilavivat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

And this is the third floor and then the level beneath the house itself - the ultimate danger of the House of Lament.

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Exceptional maps, thank you Rucht.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Rucht Lilavivat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Well I am definitely going with the more canon maps of Levkarest here, but I will be using my locations that I made up for the city. I created a pre-industrial, cosmopolitan city that has Baroque (16th Century) technology.

Anyhow, here are the locations I came up with: I will probably be adding these to the map that Mephisto created.

Levkarest
Map Key

1) Dillisnya Square: The common square for the city. News criers stand here. Rallies are held here. A local gaol is also kept and sometimes hangings are conducted here. A large statue of Leo Dillisnya stands in this spot.
2) The Runnings: The largest slum in Levkarest. Called the Runnings for its high population of rats.
3) The People’s Parliament (Marsav Hall): This is the seat of the government of Borca, where regional ministers pass laws, ordinances, and debate the issues of the day.
4) Commoner’s Court: This is a known gathering place for the those in the lower classes of the city. Revolutions and riots have started here, but it also a place of free trade and gossip. Hangings and public trials take place here as well.
5) The Grand Cathedral: This large, buttressed church is the seat of Church of Ezra, and where the Pontificate presides. Local legends say that below, a chapter of the heroic Ulmist Inquisition resides.
6) The Academy of Style: A finishing school for young women.
7) The Institute for Design: A school for fashion designers, craftspeople, and sculptors.
8) The Academy of Architecture: A renowned school for architecture and design.
9) The Opera House: Both a school and performance place for some of the greatest in all of the realm.
10) The Library of the Black Feather: Run by the mysterious and knowledgeable Black Feather Monks, this high tower contains countless tomes and is used by many throughout the realm. It also includes miles of stacks of books that extend underground where books share spaces with ancient catacombs.
11) The University of Borca: This ancient institution houses halls of learning
12) The Warehouse District: A large complex of warehouses – not just for the city – but for all of the realm.
13) The Cabinet of Curiosities: Also called The Long House, this eccentric collection of items is a museum of sorts. The collection of odd and strange things (including life-sized dolls) is frequented by tourists.
14) The Grand Marketplace: A large area where both tents and permanent structures form a sprawling market.
15) The Avenue of Tasks: This long row of houses and shops constitutes what comprises the tiny middle class of Levkarest. It is mainly made up of craftspeople, doctors, teachers, solicitors, and guild members.
16) The Park of the Sun: A sizable city park that serves the people of the day.
17) The Field of Perytons: This field is used for all manner of purposes from jousts, to fairs, to sporting events. A small stable of perytons is kept on the premises, but few ever get the privilege of witnessing them.
18) The Wall: This region of the city features high buildings that are literally pressed up against the city’s Southern Wall. It is mainly the home of scholars, writers, and musicians.
19) La Nuova Strada: Literally “the New Street” this section of town was long ago torn up to make room for more space for the city’s newer nobility. All of the city’s “new money” resides here.
20) The Sunset Gate: This gate is used primarily by the city’s working class. Each morning and evening, a significant portion of the populace walks through here to work at the docks or return from them. There is a minimal toll for using this gate.
21) The Sunrise Gate: This gate is used primarily by the city’s upper class, dignitaries, and ambassadors. There is a significant monetary toll for using this gate, anywhere from 1 to 10 gold pieces.
22) The Narrow Court: This dark and twisted space is used by the thieves and assassins guilds of the city to conduct meetings, trials, and other dark business.
23) Church of the Lawgiver: This dark and foreboding church is home to the worshipers of the dour Lawgiver.
Rucht Lilavivat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Just ran my first session of the campaign! The player characters are:

A Half-Vistani Cleric
A Tabaxi Bard
An Elven Wizard
A Halfing Paladin
and A Dwarven Artificer

Normally, I wouldn't want a tabaxi in Ravenloft, but this is a friendly group and also - they are paying customers. Running games when the players are paying money makes for a different dynamic. :)
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

Only one human? Wow... send them to Tepest :D
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Rucht Lilavivat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

You have to find a way for the players to play the thing they want to play but at the same time make your own campaign work!

So, a number of NPCs have muttered things under their breath, and there is already a disparity where certain people accept them for who they are, and some people don't. Only the first session, though.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Rucht Lilavivat wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:30 pm Normally, I wouldn't want a tabaxi in Ravenloft, but this is a friendly group and also - they are paying customers. Running games when the players are paying money makes for a different dynamic. :)
What is a Tabaxi and are there artificiers for 5e or is that homebrew?

Personally, I think games are best when there is no such dynamic, but a group of friends that know each other.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
Rucht Lilavivat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

alhoon wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:45 am
Rucht Lilavivat wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:30 pm Normally, I wouldn't want a tabaxi in Ravenloft, but this is a friendly group and also - they are paying customers. Running games when the players are paying money makes for a different dynamic. :)
What is a Tabaxi and are there artificiers for 5e or is that homebrew?

Personally, I think games are best when there is no such dynamic, but a group of friends that know each other.
Oh, for sure, the group of players are both a group of friends that know each other AND paying customers. Also, with groups that pay for a professional - they almost always become fast friends. We (I and other professionals) know players who got to know each other online and wound up in each others' weddings - etc.

But there is really no wrong or right way to play an RPG. It's whatever it is that gets you the most fun and long-lasting memories. :D The only real reason I have a job is that so many people cannot find willing, able, and consistent DMs. So, if you are out there and have a consistent DM...THANK THEM. You are getting real value for your experience.

Artificers are in 5e. They were in the latest upgrade book for 5e - Tasha's. Tabaxi are cat-people. :lol: So, we're going to have fun with that one. Many NPCs are going to be very curious about that character. Some will be afraid. Others will pause, and then carry on with life.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

So... Tabaxi are non-evil and non-shapeshifting Pakas? I would love to see that.
I consider myself a consistent DM BTW :) . I don't like inconsistent ones. I will tell my players they are lucky.
My DMGuild work!
tomokaicho
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tomokaicho »

Rucht Lilavivat wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:33 amOh, for sure, the group of players are both a group of friends that know each other AND paying customers. Also, with groups that pay for a professional - they almost always become fast friends. We (I and other professionals) know players who got to know each other online and wound up in each others' weddings - etc.
Its well known that paying money generates an important feeling of feeling invested in something. It reduces moral hazard and the potential that a player might try to derail a campaign. Paid DMing is one of the most positive trends that I've seen.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

I don't want to derail the thread, so I would say that I don't agree with that view. Perhaps I will open a thread elsewhere about it.
My DMGuild work!
SkiBird
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by SkiBird »

^^ Also don't want to derail the thread, but I'm interested in the DM-for-hire topic as well.

It would be neat to hear your take on it, Rucht Lilavivat.

Good luck with the campaign.
Rucht Lilavivat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

SkiBird wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:25 am ^^ Also don't want to derail the thread, but I'm interested in the DM-for-hire topic as well.

It would be neat to hear your take on it, Rucht Lilavivat.
If you are interested in being a DM for hire, I would strongly suggest you go to the StartPlayingGames website. The website is super simple:

StartPlaying.Games

That's it. You can read how to get set up as a GM and how to get players to play in your games. You'd probably want to run a few one-shots for free, something like that, but then you can get started running games for money. The website even as an on-boarding program where they invite you to a video conference to help you get up and running with your business - whether that be a side business or your full-time business.

To get on as a GM, you do have to have five friends recommend you and be willing to write a review for you.