Quevari stats in Denizens of Dread

Discussing all things Ravenloft
tomokaicho
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Quevari stats in Denizens of Dread

Post by tomokaicho »

The Quevari stats in Denizens of Dread don't make any sense. Specifically, the skills are out of whack and clearly there are bonuses applied to them that are not detailed.

Was there any errata issued for this? If not, can anyone help me parse out what kind of skill bonuses these guys are getting? For example, you've got a 1 HD humanoid with a Climb skill of 14. That's definitely not from their 1 HD of humanoid or their Dexterity. Also, what exactly is supposed to happen when Quevari take a class level? As 1 HD humanoids, they will lose their racial HD and presumably the skills that they have listed there.

Outside of the skills, Lawful Evil? In 2E they were Chaotic Evil during the bloodmoon, which makes a lot of sense.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Quevari stats in Denizens of Dread

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

the official errata for that book is here:
http://fraternityofshadows.com/TheVault/RL_Errata.html

nothing seems to have been done to that page to correct it.

The stats in Denizens of Dread/Darkness are sadly not the strongest overall.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
tomokaicho
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tomokaicho »

Well that's a darn pity because these stats don't make sense. Given this, there is no real point in trying to fix it. Starting from scratch would be best.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

I mean, really, you could argue that stats aren't really needed for them. They are basically human except during the full moon. You could just use a human with the Lunatic feat and call it a day.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
tomokaicho
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tomokaicho »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 12:50 pm I mean, really, you could argue that stats aren't really needed for them. They are basically human except during the full moon. You could just use a human with the Lunatic feat and call it a day.
In 2E , the Quevari had some nifty abilities that are supposed to freak people out, like climbing up vertical walls. I guess that is what accounts for the big climb bonus in the 3E version. I don't think they are human, strictly speaking. An offshoot or differently evolved version of human, perhaps. Human, Vasharan (Book of Vile Darkness 3E) and Quevari seem to be the three versions of modern human-kin.