Core 788: Wrapping everything into one canon

Discussing all things Ravenloft
ArrBeeNayr
Conspirator
Conspirator

Core 788: Wrapping everything into one canon

Post by ArrBeeNayr »

Hi everyone!

I have been slowly working on a project over on /r/Ravenloft which I call Core 788. It's a project that has already required a tremendous amount of research and theory crafting, and I'm hoping through discussion that we can tie together some loose threads.

Here's the idea behind it:
The true Hour of Ascension has come. The Grey is reclaiming the realm; Azalin Rex is no more.

This time of unparalleled darkness brings great change to the Demiplane of Dread. The Core is shattered, and Dark Lords have passed on their mantles.

The Domains now belong to a second generation. These are their stories retold.

Core 788 is a short series which aims to merge Core Canon with NuCanon.

The pitch is that it is 788 BC, thirteen years after the Time of Unparalleled Darkness - which prophesied the breaking up of the Ravenloft campaign setting. We are thirty years post Ravenloft 3e, giving us plenty space to bring in a new generation of the mists.
My intent is to tell the stories of the Ravenloft setting one Domain at a time, wrapping up the plot threads of the original canon and seamlessly transitioning into the the lore of 4th and 5th edition. I aim to do this with as few compromises to the lore of any edition as is possible. I have been delving into sourcebooks, netbooks, and everything in between - searching for all the little connecting threads that I can use to tie together these disparate interpretations of the setting.

I've set myself a high bar for cohesion. Unless sources contradict each other in a way that's impossible to combine, I need to treat every piece of lore written as canonical regardless of edition. This is except where it relates to the current year and character ages in the case of modern sources.

For example: Kas the Betrayer goes from Tovag in 2e to Monadhan in 4e, back to Tovag in 5e. In the Core 788 timeline, he has to have ended up in Monadhan when Vecna destroyed the Burning Peaks, only to have his domain reformed sometime later. In contrast: VGR says Madam Irena survived Van Richten's attack, but since there is no way to make that work with Bleak House I can ignore it.

I have written one entry into Core 788 so far: Lamordia. (That was nine months ago; I did say I was slow!)

I'm making this post now because I am currently working on Part 2: Darkon. It has been quite the undertaking already - given how far reaching Darkon's metaplot is.

I've written all the way up to the Doomsday Gazetteers, so now I am in theory-crafting mode. I've been thinking not only about how to narratively go about translating Magrum & co's lore intentions for the later Gazetteers, but also how to resolve the war in the core, cover the Time of Unparalleled Darkness, cover the King's Tear, and cover Azalin splitting up into his two aspects again.

That's in addition to all of the big periphery questions that sort of need to come up at some point: The Vestiges / Dark Powers, the Demiplane being dragged into the Plane of Shadow, and - of course - the Grandfather Paradox which is Vecna in the Amber Temple.

To that end, I have written another post covering all of my theories on the Vestiges / Dark Powers - based on what we know from all of the Ravenloft books (And some non-Ravenloft books).

I'd really appreciate your thoughts on that post. There are still a few loose ends that need to be explained - such as how the Dark Powers benefit from Klorr.

That post also contains a list of all the other Darkon metaplot stuff, which I am still mulling over in my head. If anyone has any ideas or insight regarding how some of those elements fit together, I'd love to hear your thoughts. First on the list is simply: How does Azalin finding all the Gentleman Caller's kids translate to Irik being reincarnated? I don't see how those two things narratively come together.

So yeah - this was a long post. If you've made it to the end and read the material I've linked to, I'm guessing you're the type who'd have a lot to contribute to this. I look forward to hearing your thoughts!
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Core 788: Wrapping everything into one canon

Post by The Lesser Evil »

A pretty intensive writeup you did there of Lamordia. It's interesting that you had part of the brain imprint be that of Viktor's. I had some similar thoughts- Viktra was on some level Viktor's brain or mind implanted into another body. However, my idea was more Viktor uploading his brain into Artista Juvenoth/amnesiac adult Eva (described in Legacy of the Blood) like Ra'as al Ghul did to Talia in Batman Beyond, as a response to the failing of his protective link to Adam in the Time of Unparalled Darkness. In any case, I like how you allowed for a variety of interpretations as to why Viktra's story follows so much after Viktor's- whether it be subconscious influence or

In any case, I have a few questions
1) Why did Adam leave the child Viktra alone?

2) Where did the Paridoner relatives of Mordenheim come from? Are these family of Katrina von Brandthhofen? (the first Elise's niece, whom had ventured into the Demiplane of Dread but had potentially fallen victim to one of Viktor Mordenheim's soul transference experiments, as played in in one adventure in the Book of Crypts)
----

As for the Darkon metaplot, you could link the new Azalin split to Azalin's plans of freeing his son from the Demiplane's grasp while at the same time making sure he is recreated again in a fashion that makes him a suitable king. Recall that as of after the Grand Conjunction, Azalin was inhabiting Irik's bones. Due to a cosmic fluke, the new Firan may have taken the place of Irik as a target for the end result of Azalin's planar meddling. In a sense, the new Firan is a progeny the old Azalin wanted, but is not truly his son Irik, at least not totally.
ArrBeeNayr
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by ArrBeeNayr »

The Lesser Evil wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:42 pm In any case, I like how you allowed for a variety of interpretations as to why Viktra's story follows so much after Viktor's
Thanks! I'm glad that came across.
1) Why did Adam leave the child Viktra alone?
Adam and Victor's fight was the culmination of their arc. With Victor's wife - Adam's mother - finally dead, the cycle of that particular Darklord curse was over. The moment left was one of catharsis between them.

Adam can be brutally violent when angered, but when calm is described as polite and respectful. He has no reason to harm an innocent child who represents the continuation of Eva and Elise.

Remember that neither man is aware of Eva's survival.
2) Where did the Paridoner relatives of Mordenheim come from? Are these family of Katrina von Brandthhofen? (the first Elise's niece, whom had ventured into the Demiplane of Dread but had potentially fallen victim to one of Viktor Mordenheim's soul transference experiments, as played in in one adventure in the Book of Crypts)
Legacy of the Blood states that there is little known of the Mordenheim family beyond Victor and his brother. It gives the GM open license to expand it however they please, saying "almost any relation other than direct descent is possible."

As required by Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft, Viktra had to have grown up somewhere:
  • 1. Beyond Lamordia
    2. Technologically modern
    3. Where the themes of medical grave robbing make sense.
Edit: Oh, and the hidden criteria: I wanted to give a thematic accent to Viktra. If I had said Dementlieu, for instance, GMs using this material would be inclined to make her French. With Paridon I can at least throw a bone to classic Frankenstein movies with the likes of the very English Peter Cushing.

Paridon made sense as somewhere to place Viktra, given these conditions. I didn't elaborate on these relatives as they are a blank slate to do as you want with.
Last edited by ArrBeeNayr on Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ArrBeeNayr
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by ArrBeeNayr »

The Lesser Evil wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:42 pm As for the Darkon metaplot, you could link the new Azalin split to Azalin's plans of freeing his son from the Demiplane's grasp while at the same time making sure he is recreated again in a fashion that makes him a suitable king. Recall that as of after the Grand Conjunction, Azalin was inhabiting Irik's bones. Due to a cosmic fluke, the new Firan may have taken the place of Irik as a target for the end result of Azalin's planar meddling. In a sense, the new Firan is a progeny the old Azalin wanted, but is not truly his son Irik, at least not totally.
I do very much like the "suitable king" aspect. Channeling the evil of thirteen fiends into a little baby Irik to ensure he grows up nice and Azalin-like: That could be an idea. I'm only worried that it's a little on the nose - even for Azalin - to straight up be like "I'm as evil as thirteen hellspawn"? I mean - he is, but would he admit that?

I don't think the timeline quite matches up for Irik's botched reincarnation to also be the moment of Firan and Darcalus' (re-)creation. While the ToUD culminated in 775, S wrecked that particular plan of Azalin's in 762.

Given what Mangrum has stated about having intended to end the Gazetteers on an image of Azalin screaming, and also an intended image of Azalin holding a baby Irik - I think 762 is the latest the Irik plot can culminate.

It's not essential to have Azalin still be around for the ToUD, but I mean... we all know he had something to do with those events, right? It'd be a crime if he sat out the biggest event of Ravenloft canon.

I'm toying around with the core splitting due to the demiplane being pulled from the Ethereal into the Plane of Shadow. It makes narrative sense for the two to be linked, although I'm of two minds given Mangrum's statement about a hypothetical 4e timeline starting in 765 and kicking off the ToUD. Since that was just what he'd have liked a potential successor Ravenloft writing team to have done, I'm still deciding whether Core 788 should be beholden to the 765 4e start date.
ArrBeeNayr
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by ArrBeeNayr »

Core 788: Darkon was getting long, so I have split off part of it into its own entry all about the life of Dr Rudolph Van Richten, the Radanavich family, and the siblings Metus.

Included are some new stat blocks:

Alcio Metus (2e & 5e)
Ez d'Avenir (2e)
Classic Rudolph Van Richten (5e)
The Thinker (5e)