Ravenloft Cartographical Society

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Joël of the FoS

Ravenloft Cartographical Society

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Esteemed member of the Fraternity,
Miladies,

It is a pleasure to announce we will host here in the fabulous maps of the Ravenloft Cartographic Society. If you didn’t know them before, this new Facebook page is the home of Matt Doyle (Strahdsbuddy) and Richard deRoiville. They have made extremely detailed maps, and are of course they are planning to add more and they have other cool projects.

This thread will collect the maps, with direct link to their Google Drive, so we link the updated version if the map is updated. You have below a small image of the file, be sure to click on the link to get the full-sized map.

Please leave comments in this thread!

When the map will be declared definitive, we will put a permanent section of the FoS site devoted to these maps.

Joël
For the FoS

-----

Here we present a first version of the Core, corresponding to the Post-Requiem period, right after the Shrouded Years and Azalin's Return (755BC).

RLworld.jpg
RLworld.jpg (73.28 KiB) Viewed 6427 times
link to latest version

-----

First town map we present here is Châteaunoir, in the "République du Démenlieu" . Châteaunoir is a net-canon town, not figuring however in any official Ravenloft versions. Located south of Châteaufaux, the town was originally mentioned on the Mordent Cartographic Society website. Population is around 1200 in 755-760 BC. Démentlieu is a domain based on french Renaissance, so that is why all the names on the map are french. A translated map key is given below:

1. The Great Market/ 2. The Belfry Inn / 3. Our-Lady-in-the-Shadows Church (Ezra) / 4. Castle Laverte / 5. The Six Pennies Brothel / 6. Golden Coffin Inn / 7. Lake of Silence / 8. Monastery of the Brothers of Light (Morninglord) / 9. Rusted Nail tavern / 10. Castle Évreux / 11. Mistwalkers Guild / 12. Southern hamlet / 13. Hamlet of the Falkon / 14. Smoking Dog Inn / 15. Baron’s cemetery / 16. Hamlet cemetery / 17. Champisart river / 18. Winemakers’ Creek

chateaunoir.jpg
chateaunoir.jpg (223.46 KiB) Viewed 6427 times
link to latest version

English version: link to latest version]link to latest version

-----

Port-à-Lucine, capital of the Dementlieuse Republic. This map is based on the original map from the Black Box. We've tried to make it as close as possible to the original and to all the other material published up to the Gazetteer III.

portalucine.jpg
portalucine.jpg (111.24 KiB) Viewed 6427 times
link to latest version

-----

Malanuv, a small town on the shore of the Vuchar River in Darkon, near Nartok. This town will be part of the upcoming Nartok Cartulary.

Malanuv.jpg
Malanuv.jpg (84.15 KiB) Viewed 6427 times
link to latest version

-----

Nartok, in Southwestern Darkon, population 7500 in 765 BC. Our first Travelogue will start here, with a detailed description of the city, its inhabitants, culture, history and much more.

nartok.jpg
nartok.jpg (108.53 KiB) Viewed 6427 times
link to latest version
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
TwiceBorn Reborn
Conspirator
Conspirator

Re: Ravenloft Cartographical Society

Post by TwiceBorn Reborn »

Wow!!! Awesome stuff!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Truly awe inspiring! professional quality. (actually better than most published maps!)
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Joël of the FoS

I'm really looking forward to see more :)
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

That's absolutely majestic!
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

Good maps! It's also good that you repost these here for us antisocial media people.

But I have to make an observation...

"Port-à-Lucine, capital of the Dementlieuse Republic. This map is based on the original map from the Black Box. We've tried to make it as close as possible to the original and to all the other material published up to the Gazetteer III."

Why is there a Chateu next to the ruins of Ste. Mere des Larmes?
In the Black Box map it sais only Ruins of Ste. Mere des Larmes and after Ezra's religion was added in Ravenloft it was revealed that it is an "abandoned" cathedral dedicated to Ezra that was discovered in Port-a-Lucine and that in fact predated the known foundation of the Church of Ezra itself.

Also Gaz III states that the top hill has only the ruins.

I have also placed the first adventure I am planning to play with my girlfriend in Chateunoir (instead of the village of Brannon). It is Spellbook Masquerade a one-o-one aventure from Dungeon Magazine #53. Good thing I have now a map for this, although I will probably change the inns name (as I had a selected a more happy name , something with chicken don't remember now). Also although I like the idea of Chateu Evreux being a black fortress that probably the town takes it's name from I was thinking of having an actual Chateunoir, maybe I can place it though outside the town as it is the adventure map.(By the way the following map is really oldschool but bad).
Attachments
Spellbook Masquarade Map.jpg
Spellbook Masquarade Map.jpg (172.27 KiB) Viewed 6327 times
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Speedwagon
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Speedwagon »

Wow, those are some amazing maps! I'm definitely stealing the Chateaunoir, Nartok and Malanuv maps for my own home games! I don't have Facebook (and I don't plan on getting an account due to my reservations with social media) but are there any other maps in the works currently?
Nemesio
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Nemesio »

I love these maps! Great job!!!
tomokaicho
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tomokaicho »

Great maps. Very impressive.
Vlad
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Vlad »

Wow, very impressive indeed!! With what tool were these made?

I'd love to create one core with (almost) all domains included one day.. this tool would help.
Denn du bist
was du isst
und ihr wisst
was es ist
~ Rammstein
Strahdsbuddy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Strahdsbuddy »

FRIENDS! Rumors of our demise are greatly overstated! I'd like to thank Joël for drawign attention to our projects. The Algorithm has been sending people our way recently and after my unavoidable hiatus from the Socials, I'm happy to report that we are once again accepting members and working on our next Cartulary. Richard is hard at work on more excellent maps, and I am making spreadsheets as fast as my incredibly anal-retentive mind can manage! I attach here a link to the Almanac of Ravenloft, compiled by me over the course of the last decade, and containing every canon and net-canon town and domain I could find. It cleaves to populations as written whenever it can, with apologies to Mistmaster for the re-nerfing of his populations to align with the numbers reported in the Gazetteer. This will also give a look under the hood at how the Nartok Cartulary was built and my approach to the economic makeup of towns, with credit going to Welsh Piper Games for writing the html code for their book Low Fantasy Populations.

Get the Core Genesis Project V4 in the Mausoleum.

Check out the Ravenloft Cartographic Society on Facebook
Speedwagon
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Speedwagon »

Strahdsbuddy wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:51 pm FRIENDS! Rumors of our demise are greatly overstated! I'd like to thank Joël for drawign attention to our projects. The Algorithm has been sending people our way recently and after my unavoidable hiatus from the Socials, I'm happy to report that we are once again accepting members and working on our next Cartulary. Richard is hard at work on more excellent maps, and I am making spreadsheets as fast as my incredibly anal-retentive mind can manage! I attach here a link to the Almanac of Ravenloft, compiled by me over the course of the last decade, and containing every canon and net-canon town and domain I could find. It cleaves to populations as written whenever it can, with apologies to Mistmaster for the re-nerfing of his populations to align with the numbers reported in the Gazetteer. This will also give a look under the hood at how the Nartok Cartulary was built and my approach to the economic makeup of towns, with credit going to Welsh Piper Games for writing the html code for their book Low Fantasy Populations.

Glad to see the Ravenloft Cartographic Society have made their social media presence return with this announcement! I've eagerly been awaiting something like the Nartok Cartulary so I look forward to whatever other project is in the works for you guys. And I hope to be able to see the Almanac soon!
Joël of the FoS

Ladies and Ghouls,

These guys at the Cartographical Society are going nuts. I mean really nuts. They should request a stay at Heinfroth's asylum to cure them from their craziness to details.

Here's the last proof: Almanach of Ravenloft

How cool is that?

Great job guys! That's amazing!

Joël
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

WOW! I tried to save it when it was uploaded but couldn't. It's both amazing and loco :D
I can't even imagine how many hours were spend to create this.

"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

I realize I need to multiply this numbers to 100 or 1000 to make it work in the Mistworld but they are interesting.