I had a dream (a RL sound system)

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Joël of the FoS

I had a dream (a RL sound system)

Post by Joël of the FoS »

I woke up this morning, and got myself a ... coffee.

I dreamed that the FoS was launching a sound (noises, wolf howling, ...) and music (atmospherics) part of the site, much like those online things.

How cool would that be?

Technically and ethically (copyrights), how could it work?
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: I had a dream (a RL sound system)

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

Well some of us who play music could make something like that for free downloading from the FoS site or any other music distribution/dowloading site. For instance in Bandcamp when you upload a sound file there is an option of not asking for money to download the file.

I had created 15 years ago some sounds like Wail of the Banshee and other sounds for adventures as well as the whole Castle Ravenloft battlegrounds but had my computer and external disks stolen a few months after finishing those.

I really liked the Wail of the Banshee sound, I had created it with a BOSS ME-8 Guitar Multi-Effects Pedal but that was stolen also along with most of my musical equipment 2 years ago.

But I can still work out some stuff with what I have left.

Someone had posted around a year ago some guys soundscapes as background for adventures.

I remember the Light in the Belfry audio... it was a bit kitchy...
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

Joël of the FoS wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:38 am I woke up this morning, and got myself a ... coffee.

I dreamed that the FoS was launching a sound (noises, wolf howling, ...) and music (atmospherics) part of the site, much like those online things.

How cool would that be?

Technically and ethically (copyrights), how could it work?
You could find royalty free samples. I'm sure there's a generic site out there for sound effects.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
DustBunny
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DustBunny »

Joël of the FoS wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:38 am Technically and ethically (copyrights), how could it work?
Skipping the copyright issue, what would it do to the site storage/bandwidth costs?
Whoever is paying for the site may get an unpleasant surprise if there is a huge jump in people downloading libraries of audio files. :(

A way around, may be to have direct links to a 'private' youtube channel of the audio clips as opposed to hosting the files locally
Someone sent me a postcard picture of the earth. On the back they had written, "Wish you were here."
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

That could be a way, but there are so many ads on Youtube, it would disrupt a game if a Chevrolet ad starts instead of a monster yelling :)
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)