Transdimensional artifacts of Ravenloft

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Transdimensional artifacts of Ravenloft

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Hey,

So, this is a rather weird question, perhaps, if only because 1) I should know this and 2) because the very nature of Ravenloft is that it can be everywhere, or rather, than the Mists can manifest everywhere:

What are items and artifacts from RL lore that are frequently found in other dimensions/settings?

I don't recall if this way just my way of handling this, but in my campaigns, coins from Darkon and Barovia used to show up a few sessions before the respective parties were swept away. Also, the Apparatus of Mordent. - But what else?

Thank you - and sorry if this question is rather unspecific!

- R
KingCorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Transdimensional artifacts of Ravenloft

Post by KingCorn »

Turney of the Iron Flask of Turney shows up from time to time in outside books.
Styrix's Rift Spanner, but its very nature as an escape device, means it could show up in other settings
Shadow Demons are said to actually be able to come and go from the plane frequently, the only creatures able to do so.
The Madrigorian, the book by the fiend Drigor, has many copies through the Mists, but since he escaped its been implied he's pen several more copies across gothic earth, and possibly the greater multiverse.
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

KingCorn wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:17 amThe Madrigorian, the book by the fiend Drigor, has many copies through the Mists, but since he escaped its been implied he's pen several more copies across gothic earth, and possibly the greater multiverse.
I 've missed that where is this detailed?
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
KingCorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by KingCorn »

Mephisto wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:21 am I 've missed that where is this detailed?
Its from one of the books of S, where its implied that Drigor is possessing Alistor Crowley on Gothic Earth.
Le Noir Faineant

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Thank you! This is exactly what I had been looking for! I'll need some time to check this out, but... I hope to be able to make something of it. :lucas:
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

"Generations of the Madrigore family of Edrigan in Dementlieu have been in the control of Drigor, a fiend caught in the Land of Mists."

How does this exactly work since Dementlieu appeared in 707 BC and since Dementlieu is a Dark Powers creation and not a Prime Material Plane domain?

A) Was Edrigan spirited along with Drigor in Ravenloft when Dementlieu was created?

B) Was Edrigan encompassed by Mists the whole time until 707 BC?

C) Where the Madrigore family living in Mordent (Ravenloft) for generations and then when Edrigan appeared in 707 BC they moved there, under the influence of Drigor, much like Dominic D'Honaire did?
This would make Edrigan and surrounding areas a blind spot for Dominic since his childhood, as Drigor's reality wrinkle is 5280 ft. which would make Dominic not curious maybe but not suspicious as Edrigan has been like this since Dementlieu's creation.

I am voting for C, any other suggestions?

Also since I began writing about reality wrinkles, how come Inajira with a reality wrinkle of 10.000 ft. stays in Teufeldorf? Is Strahd afraid to challenge him? Because Strahd has surely noticed that something is not right in Teufeldorf and has already faced the jackal-headed fiend after the Grand Conjunction as accounted by Zartin the Red.
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

D) Dementlieu exists since centuroes like every nation in a regular material plane.
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Mistmaster wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:46 am D) Dementlieu exists since centuroes like every nation in a regular material plane.
In the Mistworld yes, but in official canon not every domain comes from the prime material plane. So in that case how d you explain Drigors generational possession?
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

Well, either false (family) history or C.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Le Noir Faineant wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:46 pm
What are items and artifacts from RL lore that are frequently found in other dimensions/settings?
Honestly? In my campaigns, most items and artifacts from Ravenloft are found. And many of the monsters. Most are not from Ravenloft in game, but they are the same items that I use in different worlds. Perhaps with some changes.
But come on... I can't be the only one that has used an Apparatus-kind of ... apparatus outside of Ravenloft. Or some of the things from the Carnival, including those masks that change with horror.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

I wouldn't be surprised if some of Klorr's contraptions showed up in other worlds (although since Klorr was a planar traveler, it might not technically count.)

There's a bit somewhere in the lore where stolen Darkonian currency (Gaz III?) can cause fear checks even outside of the Demiplane of Dread.