Quoth the Raven #29 requests thread

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Joël of the FoS

Re: Quoth the Raven #29 requests thread

Post by Joël of the FoS »

KingCorn wrote:An guide to the Boristi Trading Company, with its trade relationships and partners, as well as its nasty secrets.
Ooh, that (and Carlysle, and the Vardo Traders) would be very interesting! Location of stores, name of head or important NPC in each, their trade, history and people they know. Plus adventure hooks.
Mephisto wrote: Don't worry I don't plan to write everything in this list... :mrgreen:
No problem with me if you do :)

---

I had a pet project which I never did really start, and I think it would be really cool and useful - a sample vistani tribe, with full stats for everybody in it, their history, equipment, trade, usual travel pattern, etc. Plus adventure hooks as bonus

That for the three main tasque - bohem, kaldresh and manusa.
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Daisu
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Daisu »

I was thinking of doing research on Underdread the domain from spellfire card. I was orginally working on it before decades ago. But thought misthaven was also working on that idea but cannot find any references of their work. So has there been work on it that I missed?
My RPG PC Game: higurashirpg.blogspot.com
Jeremy16
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jeremy16 »

Anyone have requests for the next subject of my Olerick's Guide? I'm thinking of doing one that features entertainers next (I'm not going to make the same mistake I did 8 years ago by calling my shot and saying it will be next year, but I can hope...).

In a more ambitious time I also contemplated doing one that features all the institutes of higher learning to be found in the demiplane. I'm curious if there's an obvious subject I'm missing or if everything else has truly already been done before (like how religions and secret societies were highlighted in the Gazetteers).
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

How about famous restaurants of the Demiplane?
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

Jeremy16 wrote:Anyone have requests for the next subject of my Olerick's Guide?
I vote for the places of learning (boarding schools, academies etc) although entertainers are a good idea too (groups, theaters etc)
Rock wrote:How about famous restaurants of the Demiplane?
Old Kartakann Inn...
Comfortable beds
Fresh meat
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Strahdsbuddy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Strahdsbuddy »

Request that the authors upload theri data to Mistipedia so we can keep up!
Get the Core Genesis Project V4 in the Mausoleum.

Check out the Ravenloft Cartographic Society on Facebook
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

Just look for User:Rock on mistipedia. :wink:
tomokaicho
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tomokaicho »

I would like to see 3.5e updates to the various PrCs that appeared in the 3E run of Ravenloft. I am already doing a rework of Alchemical Philosopher, and I will include a straight 3.5 conversion as well so that people that want to use the original version can do so.

The issues affecting the 3E PrCs are balance and anachronism. The Dilettante (page 31, Heroes of Light) has an ability at 4th level called Master Diplomat (Ex). It gives "Skill Focus (Diplomat)" (it should be diplomacy) that confers a "+3 bonus, rather than the normal +2". In 3.5e, +3 bonus for Skill Focus is normal.

One thing interesting about Dilettante is that it provides a use for the weird Wealth feat (which should also be revised). The Dilettante uses the bard chassis and is supposed to be for bards. The bard spell progression is 5/10, and you have to wonder what is so great about the Dilettante that it has to sacrifice that much spellcasting. Since it literally uses the same chassis as the bard, its a mystery. For those that do not know, the only reason to do something like this is because the class features in the PrC are much better than the base class which it is supposed to progress. With the Dilettante, this isn't the case at all.

The Metaphysician (page 35, Heroes of Light) has astral projection at 10th level. That's not even an ability that can be used in Ravenloft.

The Scholar (page 38, Heroes of Light) has Improved Skill Focus (Ex) at 4th level, which faces the same problem as the Dilettante.

True Innocent (page 40, Heroes of Light) has all bad saving throws. Holy violation of design principles, Batman! I think you could easily flip this around and give all good saving throws for this 5 level PrC. I think the designer thought that the bad saving throws could be mitigated by giving the True Innocent Divine Grace (Ex) at 3rd level, which is Charisma bonus to saving throws. The "default class" for True Innocent is commoner, which makes me suspect that True Innocent is supposed to be an NPC class but it wasn't explicitly stated.

The White Arcanist (page 42, Heroes of Light) is a confused mess that becomes a ghost at 10th level. A 5/10 spellcasting progression class with the "default class" being Sorcerer, the White Arcanist gains power by falling. Who thought of this "default class" mechanic, anyway? Bizarre.

I am not identifying every class or problem. Just what is immediately detectable. I guess more deep seated problems exist in every single class. On to Champions of Darkness briefly.

The Manipulator has stringent entry prerequisites. Lawful Neutral or Lawful Evil. Three feats. Bluff, Diplomacy and Gather Information 8 ranks each. Sense Motive 4 ranks, and Perform (probably a cross class skill costing 2 skill points per rank) 4 ranks.

In exchange the Manipulator gets a custom spell list of a handful of spells that they can use of up to 3rd level, with an anaemic number of spells per day. Furthermore, it caps out at 5th Caster Level, and by the time the Manipulator gets the spells, they will be useless against any adversary. The manipulator is broken.

I am pretty tired so I will stop now. Every single PrC I look at has serious problems. I really struggle to understand how this was allowed to happen. Revision is desperately needed.
Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Five »

Requests for QtR 2-9...hmm

I'd like to see this community's response dedicated to de-D&Ding Ravenloft. A divorce if you will. Of sorts.

What would Ravenloft be if we rewrote the setting into a game that better aligns itself with its (bulk) gothic literature roots? Ordinary people put in extraordinary circumstances. Mundane versus the Supernatural.

Base our protagonists, the PCs, around Domains of Dread's Table 39: Ability Score Descriptions:

0 = Not applicable to the character
1 = So low as to be almost unmeasurable
2 = Below human minimum
3 = Functional human minimum
4 = Impaired in a major fashion
5 = Impaired in a minor fashion
6 = Well below human average
7 = Below human average
8 = Low human average
9 = Human average
10 = Human average
11 = High human average
12 = Above human average
13 = Well above human average
14 = Among the best in the village
15 = Among the best in the city
16 = Among the best in the region
17 = Among the best in the nation
18 = Among the best in the world
19 = Beyond the limits of normal man
20 = Beyond the limits of heroic man
21 = Surpassing superhuman levels
22 = The equal of the demigods
23 = The equal of the lesser gods
24 = The equal of the gods
25 = The equal of the greater gods

Cut out scores 0 to 3, and 16 to 25. Dark Sun 1-upped ability scores to represent the adaptation to a world gone primal, here we'll do the opposite. 1-down, to represent the inability to compete with a world dominated by the supernatural.

Chop classes and focus on backgrounds. Skills. Knowledge. Professions. Sure, some dandy nobles can go about the countryside carte blanche-like, but for the most part the PCs are wage slaves. Joe and Jane Doe. Struggling in a world that just won't keep its heat. Noir. Gothic noir. Pulp Gothic. You get the idea.

Domains are prisons of emotions. The Dark Lords are the embodiment of those emotions. Give them a primary and maybe a secondary that just bleeds out in waves that sometimes infects the population that lays beneath their boot heels. Mood swings that poison. Throw them off the tower of stone and from their broken bodies the trapped emotion(s) dissipate to form elsewhere; doing good for your neighbours sometimes can double as an asshole move for or against strangers. Cest la vie man. Now the domain is normal again. You and yours can breathe again. You're all safe. Until another emotion gets blown in on the wind and begins its downpour on you and yours.

Hit points are hit points, and are still the life force of our protagonists. But mental points, or sanity points are just as important, if not more. Armor Class, Mental Armor Class. Its what keeps the hero going. That picture of their betrothed, that letter that they always have close at hand? It heals damage to the mind and soul. Lose that and the vortex begins to wreak havoc on both like a swirling, ravenous vulture at your face. And a kiss? That trumps ALL. Holy water and blessed food might bring back some feeling in your battered body, but a kiss from your loved one is the ultimate in heal spells.

Anyway, that's what I'd like to see in the next QtR (not the above specifically. That's just lean-to/loose sample). A Netbook rewrite of Ravenloft, done by this community. Fans for fans. A full campaign setting rulebook, with "articles of flavour" (fiction etc that gels the premise).

Take the Shadowfell out of Ravenloft (and don't you even think about scraping it into the dog's bowl!), and make Ravenloft stand on its own two feet again. Prop it up in the least. All I see is fantasy in it now. A heavy lean of it, and for some time now. Since 3E. Time to Stephen Fabian the 3E worldbuild of Ravenloft...

Or don't.

I like QtR as they are.

Heh
"A very piteous thing it was to see such a quantity of dead bodies, and such an outpouring of blood - that is, if they had not been enemies of the Christian faith."

- Jean Pierre Sarrasin, "The Memoirs of the Lord of Joinville"
tomokaicho
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tomokaicho »

Five wrote:Requests for QtR 2-9...hmm

I'd like to see this community's response dedicated to de-D&Ding Ravenloft. A divorce if you will. Of sorts.

What would Ravenloft be if we rewrote the setting into a game that better aligns itself with its (bulk) gothic literature roots? Ordinary people put in extraordinary circumstances. Mundane versus the Supernatural.
What you are describing sounds a lot like the mechanics in Masque of the Red Death (D20). Polyhedron Magazine had stuff along these lines as well. You could use that as your baseline, perhaps throwing in some D20 Modern. D20 Modern also does away with traditional alignments, with 'allegiances' taking the place of alignment. Since alignment is undetectable on the moral axis, it probably makes more sense.

I think what you describe is a worthy project but I am more inclined to bring Ravenloft properly into 3.5e with 3.5e mechanics that actually work. Because the 3.5e print run is over, all this requires is a once over and 3.5e Ravenloft will be in place thereafter.
Daisu
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Daisu »

Five wrote:Requests for QtR 2-9...hmm

What would Ravenloft be if we rewrote the setting into a game that better aligns itself with its (bulk) gothic literature roots? Ordinary people put in extraordinary circumstances. Mundane versus the Supernatural
I think it can be easily converted to call of cthulhu, there even an edition that converts D&D. But I can also see it for CoC 7th where you only improve skills so you are basically equivalent to lvl1 to 3 PC. System uses Sanity which fits nicely with Ravenloft. You should check into that for inspiration.
My RPG PC Game: higurashirpg.blogspot.com
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Mephisto wrote:Thats what I meant when I mentioned rules on Secret Societies. Well it is not bad idea, I made a list of possible Affiliations...

Ata-Bestaal‎ (G'Henna)
Black Leopards‎ (Valachan)
Blessed Army of Ezra‎ (Mordent)
Brothers of the Land (including Brothers of the Open Hand or is it Palm? Zherisia)
The Circle (and groups within as the Shadow Insurrection) (Shadowlans/Demiplane, Falkovnia)
The Kargat (Darkon)
The Kargatane (Darkon and surrounding domains)
The Dark Delvers (Mountainous domains)
The Fraternity of Shadows (Enlighted domains, Demiplane)
The Keepers of the Feather (Barovia)
The Order of the Guardians (Demiplane)
The Unholy Order of the Grave (Necropolis)
Oak Faction (Forlorn)
Seelie Court (Arak/Shadow Rift)
Unseelie Court (Arak/Shadow Rift)
Rowan Faction (Forlorn)
Freemen of Falkovnia‎ (Falkovnia)
IIldi'Thaan (Barovia, Hazlan, Demiplane)
Church of Zhakata (G'Henna)
Zhakata the Provider (G'Henna, outcasts in the Demiplane)
Celebrants of Humanity (Zherisia)
Church of Belenus (Shadowlands, Nidalan, Tepest)
The Inquisition (Tepest)
Church of Ezra (separated in Sects, Borca, Mordent, Dementlieu, Darkon)
Church of Hala (Demiplane)
Church of the Lawgiver ( Didakti, Jernspørgsmålers, Kunduktørs, Nova Vaasa Hazlan)
The Duremkites (Arbora/ Nova Vaasa)
Knights of the Ashen Bough (Falkovnia)‎
L'Ordures‎ (Dementlieu)
The Syndicate of Enlightened Citizens (Lamordia)
La Serrure et Clé (Mortigny/ Richemulot)
Lions de La Rue (Mortigny/ Richemulot)
Soleils Craimoisi (Mortigny/ Richemulot)
Casques Safran (Pont-a-Museau/ Richemulot)
La Société de Legerdemain‎ (Dementlieu)
Cult of the Morninglord (Barovia, Core)
League of Nine (Sturben/ Borca)
L’Académie des Sciences (separated in three subsections, Borca, Dementlieu, Richemulot)
The Échansons Heresy (Dementlieu)
Seekers of the Seven Scarabs (Har' Akir, Demiplane)
The Woodcutter's Axe (Verbrek)
The Eternal Order (Darkon)
Sons of Gundar (Barovia/Invidia, ex-Gundarak)
The Spawn of the Lizard (Falkovnia)
The Scions of Yakov Dilisnya (Borca)
Spellbook Hunters (Vechor)
The Ba'al Verzi (Teufeldorf/ Barovia)
The Children of Wrath (separated in two factions, Sithicus)
The Dark Sisters (Sri Raji)
The Green Hand (Har'Akir)
Cult of the Wolf God (Verbrek)
The Howling Clan (Kartakass)
The Noble Brotherhood of Assassins (Dementlieu)
The Wise Women (Graben)
The Zanango Society (Souragne)
The Vilushka (Demiplane)
Porètes (Richemulot)
The Caretakers (many cells around the Demiplane)
The Black Grove (Forlorn)
Patriots of Liffe (Liffe)
The Thorne Society (Zherisia)
Church of the God Below (Nocturnal Sea)
Church of Yutow (Valachan)
Cult of Erlin (ex-Gundarak)
The Twisting Tower (Teufeldorf/ ex-Gundarak)
Cult of Vecna (Cavitius)
The Brotherhood of the Whip (Hazlan/Nova Vaasa)
The Red Vardo Traders (Barovia, Demiplane)
Lights of Liberty (Nova Vaasa)
Claws of Sehkmaa (Nova Vaasa)
Gorkynites (Nova Vaasa)
Faith of the Overseer (Martira Bay/ Darkon)
The Straffers (Nova Vaasa)
Widderìbhinn (Keening)
The Church of Andral (Prime Material Barovia)
The Cult of the Ancestral Choir (Kartakass)
The Thousand Gods (Liffe)
Diamabel's Law (separated in enforcers and confessors, Pharazia)
Divinity of the Masters (Zherisia)
Divinity in All (Zherisia)
Cult of Sobek (Har' Akir)
The Ascended (Graben)
Church of the Spider Queen (Arak/Shadow Rift)
Cult of Set (Har' Akir)
The Brotherhood of Broken Blades (Kartakass)
Knight of the Raven (Prime Material Barovia)
Barovian Wine Distillers' Brotherhood (Barovia)
Darkon's Mercenary Guild (Darkon)
Lightbringers (Barovia)
Scourges' Guild (Pharasia, Nidala, Borca, Richemulot, Paridon, Souragne))
Sans Merci (Richemulot)
Galf Kloggin's Bandits (Forest of Shadows/ Darkon)
Merchant Guild of Sturben (Borca)
Militia of Levkarest (Borca)
Merchant's Guild of Curriculo (Invidia)
Merchant's Guild of Krezk (Barovia)
Metalworkers' Guild of Paridon‎ (Zherisia)
Morfenzi Merchant's Guild (Falkovnia)
Omen Watchers (Sidnar/Darkon)
Weavers' Guild of Arbora (Nova Vaasa)
Weeping Rose Actor Society (Port-a-Lucine, Lechberg, Martira Bay)
Buried Hands (Fakovnia)
Scar's Band (Karina/Invidia)
The Thieves' Guild of Toyalis (Hazlan)
The thieves' guild of Sly-Var (Darkon)
Zephyr Express (Karg/ Darkon)
Boritsi Trading Company (Borca)
Colonial Merchant Trading Company of Zherisia (Zherisia)
Sturben Trade Guild (Borca)
Guildmaster Traders (Lekar/ Falkovnia0
The Bard's Guild (Martira Bay/Darkon)
The Veiled Palm (Aerie/ Falkovnia)
Le Ballet National du Dementlieu (Port-a-Lucine/Dementlieu)
The Teusten Society (Falikovnia)
Brautslava Institute‎ ( Boglands of Darkon)
The Great University of Tvashti‎ (Sri Raji)
University of Blessed Zhakata‎ (G'Henna)
University of Dementlieu (Dementlieu)
University of Il Aluk‎ (Darkon/Necropolis0
University of Il Aluk in Exile‎ (Karg/ Darkon)
University of Richemulot‎ (Richemulot‎)
University of Liffe‎ (Liffe)
University in Kantora (Nova Vaasa)
Collegiate Caelistis (in Sidnar ran by the Omen Watchers/ Darkon)
Council of Brilliance (Dementlieu)
La Grande Théâtre de Musarde (Richemulot)
College d'Art (Invidia)
The Red Academy (Hazlan)
Ministry of Finance and Trade‎ (Falkovnia)
Ministry of Intelligence‎ (Falkovnia)
Ministry of Science‎ (Falkovnia)
Ministry of the Arcane‎ (Falkovnia)
Ministry of the Central Prison‎ (Falkovnia)
Stangengrad Military Academy (Falkovnia)
Creshcen Hall (Hazlan)
Pagolin Theatre (Necropolis)
Sommet Theater (Borca)
The Amphitheater (Harmonia/Kartakass)
Mordentshire Theater (Mordent)
Théatre de la Baie (Dementlieu)
The Grand Opera House, Port-a-Lucine Opera House (Dementlieu)
Ebon Fold‎ (Darkon)
Toll-Takers (Endless-Road)
The Brain'sCriminal Organisation (Dementieu)
The Thieves' Guild of Ezra (unspecified town or city outside of Darkon)
Bone Daggers (Hazlan)
Kara's Daughters (Falkovnia)
Night Blossom (Rokushima Táiyoo)
The Lamplighters (Mordent)
Rodjan Dilisnya's Company (Forlorn)
Talons of The Hawk (Falkovnia)
Korag High Master of Goblinwood (Tepest)
Boyarsky (Vorostokov)
The Relentless (Sea of Sorrows)
Black Watch (Chateaufaux "fiendish" militia /Dementlieu)
Gendarmerie of l'Morai (l'Morai)
Kellee Militia (Tepest)
Corvian Militia (Darkon)
Lechberg Militia (Borca)
Gendarmerie (Dementlieu)
Ludendorf Militia (Lamordia)
The Daggers (Tor Gorak)
Yeomanry (Graben)
Moondale County Militia (Liffe)
Boyars of Barovia volunteer militias (Barovia)
Vor Ziyden Militia (Borca/ ex-Dorvinia)
Chezna the Blood-cat Bandits (Nova Vaasa)
Malocchio's Soldiers (Invidia)
Cult of Simon Audaire (Richemulot)
Falkovnian Army (Falkovnia)
The New Outcasts (Pont-a-Museau/Demiplane)
The Brothers of the Yellow Sign (Outlander?)
Bolshnik family (Nova Vaasa)
Hiregaard family (Nova Vaasa)
Vistin family (Nova Vaasa)
Rivtoff family (Nova Vaasa)
Chekiv family (Nova Vaasa)
Renier family (Richemulot)
Politskarae (Sithicus)
von Aubrecker family (Lamordia)

That awesome list needs to be stickied somewhere, Kudos to you sir.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
KingCorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by KingCorn »

Wonder what next years theme will be. We've had Horrors of the Desert and the Sea, so perhaps we focus on Sri Raja and other eastern domains with Horrors of the Orient/East.
Speedwagon
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Speedwagon »

Horrors of the Orient/The East can mean a lot of things, given how wide the Western perception of 'the East' was and still arguably is. The usual interpretation would be something East Asian themed (so China, Japan, Korea, Vietnam and Domains inspired by those places like I'Cath, Rokushima Taiyō and Dat Cua Nhen, or even Sanzhou, Xi'anlin, Chonyo Egurimja, Chamhok Mun and Tong Dao).
But there's tons of cool stuff that can be inspired by Southeast Asia or the broader Indian Subcontinent (Thailand, Cambodia, Myanmar/Burma, Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, the Philippines, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Nepal & Bhutan) and that's somewhat been done by other Ravenloft fans (Kungthrom Sound and Igid Rabi-I come to mind).

But more than just those areas, I think what would be really original and not done before would be Domains or horror themes and monsters inspired by or based on Central Asia. With the Silk Road passing through the region and connecting the East to the West, a lot of shit went down there that isn't really acknowledged these days. The various factions and ethnicities within the region, like the Cumans, the Tatars, the Mongols, the Huns, the Magyars and so on, all of them would make for good reference material and inspiration to make new and interesting Domains of Dread. Well for me at least, though I'm not opposed to new write-ups on old favorites or even expansions into newer interpretations like 5e I'Cath (which I really like) or 5e Kalakeri (which I also really like).
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

If the focus will be on extra-Core domains I beg our extimed Brothers of the FoS to warn me at least in March; I have no domains ready. :D As a counter purpose, a focus on defunct domains (like Gundarak) would be appreciated.