Quoth the Raven #28 review thread

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Jeremy16
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Quoth the Raven #28 review thread

Post by Jeremy16 »

Dovehome: The Anti-Ravenloft

The Path of the Protector - This a nice touch. It seems a little bit lazy to say all protectors become the same thing in the end, but what more could be done without creating brand new classes for each creature type (vampire, werewolf, etc.)?

Gabrielle Aderre – There's a hint of tension here, almost as if this is a version of Gabrielle just before her perfect life falls apart and she turns unrepentantly evil.

Tristessa – This is a very strange inversion. I applaud the effort, but I think the “she hates children” angle should be dropped. Make her a Mother Hubbard type figure instead, where every kid she rehabilitates and finds a good home for is replaced by the next kids that gets dropped off on her doorstep. Therefore, no matter how much good she does, there is always has more work to be done.

The Three Grannies – This reimagining was a no-brainer, as the Mindefisk sisters are essentially reverted back to their fairy godmother origins.

Malken – The set up here is more interesting than the pay-off. As I see it, the problem is that when you reverse the Jekyll and Hyde trope you just end up with the same Jekyll and Hyde trope. Why not make their relationship more symbiotic? Instead of fighting each other, why not have both personalities working towards the same goal but whenever the switchover occurs the other one inadvertently sets back their combined agenda so that they end up losing any ground that was gained while the other personality was in control?

Ivanna Boritsi – Turning an iconic femme fatale into a mousy girl next door is a hard sell. At least the alternative take offered giver her a more active role.

Harkon Lukas – You gave Harkon Lukas stage fright... Amazing!

Rudolph van Richten – A monster hunter with ulterior motives is not the most original idea, but it works due to how saintly the original version is always portrayed.

Jacqueline Renier – I don't see much change here, honestly.

Dominic D'Honaire / Rudolph von Aubrecker – The idea of these two individuals dancing around each other is good for a couple of laughs, but doesn't really seem sustainable.

Alfred Timothy – A peace-loving hippie that hulks out when attacked doesn't quite work.

Vlad Drakov – This idea is such a good reversal of the darklord and his curse!

Strahd von Zarovich - Not surprisingly, I find this the best entry of the bunch. Well done!

Mordenheim / Adam – In the original version Mordenheim and Adam each pushes the other into darker and darker deeds. So, even if you invert that scenario you are still left with two guys just being jerky to each other. Making Mordenheim the sole bad guy doesn't make sense to me. Now, if you cast Elise as a Lady MacBeth type of instigator and have the good doctor be the poor put-upon husband that would shake things up!

Overall Impression

I have a theory, which I have developed after a lifetime of reading comics... Only after a character and the world around them has firmly settled into a routine (usually after 10-20 years in real time) do you suddenly start to see alternate versions popping up. By this time you can't really change the protagonist's circumstances or the basic storytelling formula because it has become a big moneymaker for its parent company. Thus, multiple realities are created in order to explore developments that the main property would never be allowed to do.

I say all that, just to say this: This is weird with a capital “W”. In some ways these characters are even more twisted than their original versions. The entire thing is like a long fever dream.
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

Dovehome was a compilation all the ideas posted here: http://fraternityofshadows.com/forum/vi ... f=1&t=2400
I compiled it only because this QTR theme was alternate realities. It's clearly unfinished. If you'd like to contribute to it, by all means, post in the above thread. All the posters there love hearing new takes.
Do us a favor Luv, Stick yer 'ead in a bucket a kick it!

So, gentlemen, that's how it is. Until Grissome.... resurfaces, I'm the acting president, and I say starting with this... anniversary festival, we run this city into the ground! :D
Jeremy16
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jeremy16 »

Manofevil wrote:Dovehome was a compilation all the ideas posted here: http://fraternityofshadows.com/forum/vi ... f=1&t=2400
I compiled it only because this QTR theme was alternate realities. It's clearly unfinished. If you'd like to contribute to it, by all means, post in the above thread. All the posters there love hearing new takes.
Honestly, it's not a topic that interests me right now, but I will keep that in mind. I just make it a habit to try and offer constructive criticism when reviewing an article. Instead of just saying "I don't like this," or "This idea sucks," I like to offer an alternative that I believe would work better. It's my way of saying, "This idea has merit, but needs to be polished a bit more."
Jeremy16
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jeremy16 »

Scenes from a Starving Land

Mirgau's Mesa – I love a good story about heretical sects and the inevitable backlash they face from the mother church. This episode reminds me of the Seige of Masada in 1st century Israel and the Albigensian Crusade in 13th century France.

Branches of Zhakata – I like the breakdown of all the different functions that the church fulfills here. Make it seem like there's no facet of life it doesn't have it hands in.

The Library of Enlightenment - I love the call out to The Satanic Verses in Kazimir Shvek's write-up. I love that this religion has their own archives much like the Vatican.

The Fangs of Zhakata - Ditto for the Sith master and apprentice approach to the Fangs of Zhakata. Paladins in service of Zhakata is such a creepy idea.

Dancers of the Vine - The mystery cult in Dervich is interesting too, as I think every religion in the setting should have its own saints and heresies and such.

Fort Grasu - I love the return the Jackal, as well. I, too, was a little confused whether this was the original or a newer version but it didn't bother me that much because it reminded me of the ol' Dread Pirate Roberts shtick.

Overall Impression

This entire article is right up my alley, because G'Henna holds a special place in my heart. Too bad it has to be separated from the Core, because I think a religious theocracy with a focus on hunger and starvation is a powerful draw. It had an almost Gazetteer type write-up with Circle of Darkness in 2E but because of its remoteness it didn't get a lot of attention in 3E.

I love all the excerpts from eye witnesses, I love the quick set-ups and scene settings and I love the detailed descriptions added to an often neglected domain. The only things I don't think were useful were the domain specific werebeasts. The Snow Leopard is a good attempt but isn't special enough to differentiate it from the wereleopards of Valachan. And the wereweasel is certainly an inspired choice, but hard to take seriously.
Jeremy16
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jeremy16 »

It's time for my big pre-Thanksgiving review bomb! (I did say that it takes me a few weeks to put these things together.)

The Grand Estate Cluster

Corvania – Edmund Corbeau

I'm a sucker for anything Lovecraftian, so of course I like this bookish darklord seeking out eldritch entities. His appearance and abilities after unleashing whatever horror lurked under his home is really creepy. I love the cultists being used as his henchmen, but think there could be more done with him. Why not have some other seeker of hidden knowledge appear every year or so and attempt to “summon” him only to go mad as a result? Perhaps he can offer them a “boon” if they help him to further his own goals in some way. Why not add a university or other place of learning (such as a monastery) nearby that could serve as the source of such scholars?

Champignon – Juliana Corbeau

This seems like the weakest darklord of the bunch. I like her Poison Ivy type origin, but being turned into a mushroom hag doesn't seem all that interesting to me.

Bloedveld – Lucius Corbeau

I like this domain a lot; It's main theme is blood but with nary a vampire in sight! I like the lead-up to the Bloody Court, but think I think the domain description in the current sketch is over the top. Let's just the leave the dessicated bodies in a crypt or larder instead of laying around out in the open, shall we?

I would like the domain beyond the mansion fleshed out a bit more. Have lots of nobles and towns from which to gather fresh victims. Let the Bloody Court be a dark rumor that no one has been able to confirm. Maybe have the common people start transforming into a mosquito monster due to their own personality flaws (or maybe from disease-carrying insects in the marsh) and eventually feel “pulled” to Corbeau Manor to join their fellows.

Diepinham – Richter Corbeau

Finally... a freakin' pirate ship with frickin' ghost pirates! What more could a guy want?

Varkensteen – Siobhan Corbeau

I'll give you this... demon-pigs are frightening as hell. And while I like the idea of a place with crisscrossing aqueducts all over the place, I would have preferred a map or some indication of what the final product looks like. And, is it just me, or does this seem like a good domain to place a mistway to connect it to other domains?

Wandenheil – Wilhelm Corbeau

I kinda like the idea of a necromancer who uses the dead to do things for him because he's to lazy to do it himself. But a land of the dead reminds me too much of Keening with shades of Castlevania. There needs to be an additional hook to differentiate it. Maybe have one half living and the other half walking dead and a giant cemetery that lies on the border between the two? Maybe the land of the dead can be full of zombies and such that have broken away from Wilhelm's control and are now pursuing a mysterious goal of their own?

Sterlucht – Henrietta Corbeau

Yet another Lovecraftian pastiche; I really like that the threat in this domain is more alien than the rest. I would be interested in the “entity” to take a more active role, however, instead of having it remain static and contained. Why not have “dead zones” pop in unexpected places which can only be stopped with more keystones. That brings a race against time dynamic into the mix... will Henrietta be able to keep making new protective barriers fast enough to maintain control of the land?

The Heir Apparent – Lachlan Corbeau

I like the idea of the last family member in line attempting to reform his errant ancestors. This is perhaps the place where the video game origins betrays itself. Is this the main character and his goal is to make it thru all the levels... er, I mean domains... ruled over by his evil ancestors? Speaking of, while I like the descriptions of how each darklord views their descendant, why not have them take a more active role in his destruction. Maybe have them try to entice him over to their side with promises of power against the other darklords. These attempts could either strike a chord and tempt him away from his righteous path or fail pathetically because they misconstrue his true character and presume he has the same weaknesses as they do.

Overall Impression

I'm not familiar with the game this is based on, so I don't know how much is original and how much is canonical. I can almost see the levels and their appearance from your descriptions. And, I love the repeated motif of tomes of forbidden knowledge leading a series of family members to to their ruin down thru the years.

It does seem to be missing the chance for any encounter other than attacking the Big Bad, though.

It's a shame this article didn't come with maps. I originally thought this was going to a unique cluster in that instead of grouping domains by location they were a cluster connected by time. Or maybe there is only one true Corbeau Mansion located in the center of the cluster and each land flows out from its front door, looking similar to pie chart. And the only way to move between domains is by walking thru specific doors within the residence. But, from the descriptions in the article it seems all these lands are connected to each other in the present. A little more elaboration on how they interact would be interesting.

Overall, this was really well done. And that's coming from someone (like Gonzoron) who isn't that big on fan-made domains and is really not big on fan-made clusters!
Last edited by Jeremy16 on Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jeremy16
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jeremy16 »

Post-Apocaloft

This is a fun idea and I know it ties in perfectly to the theme of this issue, but this article should probably have more work done on it before being published.

I like the set up of this place being related to the MOTRD and moving the timeline of that earth forward. But I think the aim of this concept needs to be clearer. Outline the movie sources for each domain and the specific dates these divergent storylines are splitting off from the main branch.

The emphasis on Escape from New York is both a good and bad thing. It is a perfect example for what I believe the author's aim is, but it reads too much a synopsis from IMDB. Instead of going into pages and pages of background on these characters we already know (or can easily look up the history of), focus on where the Ravenloft elements make them different from the original property. Are we talking about a world based solely on science fiction only or are there still supernatural elements hiding under the surface?

The list of proposed adaptations doesn't really seem to have a theme besides modern horror, either. Splitting off the “end of the world” scenarios from the more general 80s horror seems smarter. Both are valid ideas, but pick a focus and stick to it.

Here's my list of movies and where they would fall on the spectrum...

Post-Apocalyptic: Cloverfield, Dr. Strangelove, I Am Legend, Judge Dredd, Logan's Run, Mad Max, The Matrix, Maximum Overrdrive, Night of the Livig Dead (including sequels), Planet of the Apes, Red Dawn, Robocop, The Stand, Terminator, The Thing, They Live

80s Horror: The Evil Dead, Friday the 13th (Jason), Ghostbusters, Gremlins, Halloween (Michael Myers), Hellraiser, Jaws, anything by John Carpenter, A Nightmare on Elm Street (Freddy), Poltergeist, Texas Chainsaw Massacre (Leatherface)
Jeremy16
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jeremy16 »

Falkovnia Uber Alles

I have an honest question... How closely should Falkovnia mirror Nazi Germany? I know 3E really lit the fuse on this phenomena but making this domain cleave too closely to real life analogs has its pitfalls.

Think about it this way... Imagine how weird it would be to have Barovia overrun with dozens of vampires acting just as pompous and cruel as Strahd von Zarovich. Kinda lessens the uniqueness of the character, doesn't it? So, why does everyone and their brother have to be so darn unremitting evil in this land? Let Vlad be the big bad and everyone else just going along to get along. It just gets exponentially ridiculous when you try to stack evil on top of more evil.

Giving Falkovnia its own Thule Society may be a bridge too far. Sure, it's an interesting concept, but is it really needed? We already have a totalitarian society that worships military power that grinds the common man down and raises evildoers up. It is described over and over again as a culture that respects might, not reason. That's why adding a more intellectual secret society to the mix seems a bit jarring. Plus, the real life Thule Society was mostly interested in occult power, which is an area that the Ministry of Science already has locked down. Plus plus, do you think Vlad really even believes in a doctrine racial superiority? Or is that just another rallying point to keep the people under control?
Last edited by Jeremy16 on Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeremy16
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jeremy16 »

Sins of the Father

This an interesting in-depth look at Vigo Drakov, Vlad Drakov's half-fiend “son”. Unfortunately, this version seems way over-powered to me. He has a variety of infernal capabilities, a terrifying demonic form, plus he's super-smart and an expert in magical lore!?! The problem with characters like these are that it begs the question... why hasn't he taken over the world already? Or, at the very least, his father's domain?

Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate the effort to close some gaps in lore (specifically the call back to Death Ascendant) and expand others (Vigo's one line cameo in GazII). I just think characters like this are more useful as behind-the-scenes manipulators or as foils for other bad guys. Hence, I particularly liked his feud with Bluebeard because it provides a good entry point for PCs to get involved with these personalities.

If it were me, I would focus more on his physical side and not on his intellectual side. He lives in a world where might makes right. It's a bully's dream. But, he's so powerful no one can beat him. Maybe he's a coward deep down, forever doubting that his fiendish abilities could aid him in succeeding where his father always fails. Or, take the opposite tack and say that he's been on top for so long that he's grown bored and lazy. Would he turn to ever more depraved acts and vices? Or would he get lost in daydreams but never actually go thru them because it would take too much work?
Jeremy16
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jeremy16 »

The Cyclop's Legacy

Alchemichanima Tot

I don't like the idea of Vlad using zombies at all (alchemical or otherwise), although it would be ironic having them spread to the countryside and constantly requiring him to send in a legion to stop them. Why do I like this idea better than the revamped Falkovnia from VRGtRL? Because Vlad is shooting himself in the foot in an attempt to utilize his enemy's tactics. It plays right into his stated curse and adds an element of humiliation which he so richly deserves.

The Dark Men

I have mixed feelings about the Dark Men. On one hand, they're yet another group of half-man half-beast outcasts that we have already seen a dozen times (there's the Shattered Brethren, Mongrelmen from G'Henna, Broken Ones from Markovia, etc.). On the other hand, sewer dwelling sub-humans are always good fodder for some adventure hooks. I would have liked a few more sample NPCs here to really flesh them out.

Die Ubersinnlichen

These Psychic Lost Ones seem kinda weak as presented. After all, we already have the Thaani running around filling this niche. Why not really embrace this concept and go full Firestarter here?

The Rod of Nebenwelt

I like your attempt at bridging the gap between old and new Ravenloft, but whenever the Apparatus is invoked as a plot point things always get so convoluted. I like the call back to GazII and its Shadow World sidebar, though.

The Time Machine

A literal time tunnel, neat! I'm not a big fan of time travel, but it gave a neat twist to the end of the article so I won't complain too much.

Overall Impression

This may seem blasphemous, but I don't like all the Nazi super-science schemes that always seem to get attached to Herr Hortsmann. The Primordial Serum was a neat gimmick, but I don't see a need to follow it up with all this super-advanced experimentation.

Besides that personal quibble, I really like a lot of these concepts. High five for including interludes between headings! That's the kind of flavor that I love seeing! Good job keeping the Falkovnia we all know and love alive and kicking.
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

Jeremy16 wrote:Think about it this way... Imagine how weird it would be to have Barovia overrun with dozens of vampires acting just as pompous and cruel as Strahd von Zarovich. Kinda lessens the uniqueness of the character, doesn't it? So, why does everyone and their brother have to be so darn unremitting evil in this land? Let Vlad be the big bad and everyone else just going along to get along. It just gets exponentially ridiculous when you try to stack evil on top of more evil.
Frankly I don't see the connection with your Strahd example. Don't forget that Vlad is supported by the army and the Talons are evil too who make atrocities in the name of their king but enjoy it. Hitler had his cronies who were power struggling among themselves for his favour, but also it wasn't just him ordering for various atrocities. The Nazi regime created the context for various psychopaths to do whatever they pleased without being punished, some where actually promoted, like Reinhard Heydrich.
Jeremy16 wrote:Giving Falkovnia its own Thule Society may be a bridge too far. Sure, it's an interesting concept, but is it really needed? We already have a totalitarian society that worships military power that grinds the common man down and raises evildoers up.
Maybe it is, but these evil doers (Thule) are part of that equation and part of that totalitarian society you described.
Jeremy16 wrote:do you think Vlad really even believes in a doctrine racial superiority? Or is that just another rallying point to keep the people under control?
Yes I do. A domain is a darklords reflection all demihumans are slaves thought of nothing as cattle since the black box, so that makes it a reflection of it's darklord's ideas. In 3e it says that Falkovnians are indoctrinated to hate and fear foreigners.
Last edited by Mephisto of the FoS on Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:15 am, edited 6 times in total.
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Jeremy16 wrote:Sins of the FatherUnfortunately, this version seems way over-powered to me. He has a variety of infernal capabilities, a terrifying demonic form, plus he's super-smart and an expert in magical lore!?! The problem with characters like these are that it begs the question... why hasn't he taken over the world already? Or, at the very least, his father's domain?
Yes he is very-powerful cause I saw him as the most successful of GC children, one who has outsmarted a darklord into believing he is his own. Also in an adventure outline of the ToUDarkness he takes over the domain. About the magic lore stuff, well he is a half-fiend and I just followed stuff from VRGtFiends, fiends are described as having the power of possession and don't forget he has a stronger Zarovan connection than his nephew/brother Malocchio (he is the son of a half-Vistana of Eva's bloodline). And I will add that even if the Gentleman Caller has plans for him, Vigo has his own, so he can be used as an antagonist to his real father.
Jeremy16 wrote:If it were me, I would focus more on his physical side and not on his intellectual side. He lives in a world where might makes right. It's a bully's dream. But, he's so powerful no one can beat him. Maybe he's a coward deep down, forever doubting that his fiendish abilities could aid him in succeeding where his father always fails. Or, take the opposite tack and say that he's been on top for so long that he's grown bored and lazy. Would he turn to ever more depraved acts and vices? Or would he get lost in daydreams but never actually go thru them because it would take too much work?

Τhe intellectual side makes him even more discriminated in Falkovnia and since Drakov considers him his biggest success offspring, that alone would make him a disappointment. But what you wrote about his character are interesting concepts.
Last edited by Mephisto of the FoS on Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:21 am, edited 4 times in total.
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Jeremy16 wrote:I don't like the idea of Vlad using zombies at all (alchemical or otherwise), although it would be ironic having them spread to the countryside and constantly requiring him to send in a legion to stop them.

This is a failed experiment, the Ministry tried to make them to have an undead army to use against Azalin (those alchm. zombies who die can't be raised again and are immune to Azalin's control, while at the same time they don't use magic (a taboo) but science to make them). As a failed experiment some managed to escape and create minor zombie epidemics. These were inspired by movies like Dead Snow as well as a way to explain the new 5e Falkovnia.

Jeremy16 wrote:The Dark Men

...I would have liked a few more sample NPCs here to really flesh them out.

I am not a big fan either but they are canon and I thought i had to mention them. On the other hand they are useful for a Vincent like character from the 80's Beauty and the Beast series https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092319/
Maybe I should have created some NPC's.

Jeremy16 wrote:These Psychic Lost Ones seem kinda weak as presented. After all, we already have the Thaani running around filling this niche.

The Thaani are different these lost ones are moving time bombs...

Jeremy16 wrote:Why not really embrace this concept and go full Firestarter here?

Τhe Gene Simmons version? :mrgreen:

Jeremy16 wrote:I like your attempt at bridging the gap between old and new Ravenloft, but whenever the Apparatus is invoked as a plot point things always get so convoluted. I like the call back to GazII and its Shadow World sidebar, though.

Or the Apparatus is used when things become convoluted to explain them... like Jander Sunstar in 5e.

Jeremy16 wrote:The Time Machine

A literal time tunnel, neat! I'm not a big fan of time travel, but it gave a neat twist to the end of the article so I won't complain too much.

I am a fan of time travel but with limits, for instance Castle Tristenoira is one of my favourite adventure settings. I like the Relentless idea of going back and forth in time. I liked the concept of Form the Shadows adventure I don't like my idea but it was a "natural" way to finish the article, and at least I placed a time limit to 690BC and also that whatever the spies do to change the future with notes etc that could possibly create a time paradox the problem fixes by itself by revealing that same information in the present in a natural way. So it is mostly useless as am effective tool for Falkovnia but can be used as another trope to send PC's back in time (in case your campaign timeline doesn't fit with an adventure) without the use of the Mists.

Jeremy16 wrote:Overall Impression
This may seem blasphemous, but I don't like all the Nazi super-science schemes that always seem to get attached to Herr Hortsmann. The Primordial Serum was a neat gimmick, but I don't see a need to follow it up with all this super-advanced experimentation.

I remember the first time I read Horstman in CotN:Werebeasts some decades ago. At first I didn't like the idea since Falkovnia is a medieval domain but then with all these advanced domains surrounding it there should be some kind of influence, so I became more accustomed to it. I believe that that Nazi Germany analogy in 3e was too much, I would like it to be more of a combination of Stalin's USSR and Nazi Germany both in names and language, for instance I don't like the term Kingfurer, I basically use just King Vlad Drakov (not in the article though). My article reinforced that Nazi-based idea but only because I based it on 3e canon, if we think about pulp fiction culture we can take villains from both analogies, like in the Indiana Jones and the crystal skulls movie the bad guys are Soviets. For me Falkovnia this way evolved form a Vlad Tepesque Wallachia domain to one that may be inspired by pulp fiction horror. We already have the plant in Delmuster, many tombs waiting to be discovered in the east and lots of human villains.
https://www.google.com/search?q=pulp+fi ... =555&dpr=1

Also a comment on the use of German language for 3e Falkovnian: Even if I used it, I believe it is problematic in general but also in game terms. Take for instance the names Strangengrad and Lekar they don't sound German they sound Russian if not Slavic in general, so the language in 3e should be a bit different, maybe a combination of both. The biggest problem with Falkovnian language is how to explain the name Vigilia Dimortia (since it doesn't sound "3e Falkovnian"),the only way is that this is a Vistani or Balok term adapted by the Falkovnians. Vigilia Dimortia closely resembles Romanian (vigilența morții, means vigilance of death). The next step in the evolution of the simulacrum named Falkovnia, could be to change Falkovnian language as to not be so German. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfFxoyxQAh4
IanFordam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by IanFordam »

Jeremy16 wrote:This entire article is right up my alley, because G'Henna holds a special place in my heart. Too bad it has to be separated from the Core, because I think a religious theocracy with a focus on hunger and starvation is a powerful draw. It had an almost Gazetteer type write-up with Circle of Darkness in 2E but because of its remoteness it didn't get a lot of attention in 3E.

I love all the excerpts from eye witnesses, I love the quick set-ups and scene settings and I love the detailed descriptions added to an often neglected domain. The only things I don't think were useful were the domain specific werebeasts. The Snow Leopard is a good attempt but isn't special enough to differentiate it from the wereleopards of Valachan. And the wereweasel is certainly an inspired choice, but hard to take seriously.
Thanks for the detailed feedback! I'm glad you enjoyed so much of the article.

Regarding the werebeasts... I sketched out the weresnowleopard because Circle of Darkness declares that the Jackal's second-in-command is a werejaguar, yet I didn't see how I could convince my players that jaguars (a creature most strongly associated with tropical regions) were native to the high desert environment of G'Henna. I probably would have gone with by-the-book wereleopards except that the Ravenloft Monstrous Compendium Volume III declares that wereleopards have only their hybrid aspect, which would make Deshka's secret identity as a Sword impossible. When I submit errata to the Fraternity here shortly, I will add an explicit statement about the three aspects, which I hope will better justify the weresnowleopard's inclusion.

Oh, and as for the wereweasels, I wrote them up in the first place because they are mentioned in Circle of Darkness, and the notion entertained me. Ultimately I included them in the article two for reasons. First, I always like having "local color" monsters for new places. Second, I think there's some juicy, creepy possibility in an infected wereweasel waking up after an unexpected winter stuck in animal form. All that said, feedback indicates that I should use a tighter focus in any future articles.

Finally, I would like to make a quick case for the benefit of separating G'Henna from the Core. I think it makes the domain appropriately even more claustrophobic. Even G'Hennans who are disillusioned with the Church (even if they still worship Zhakata) have nowhere else to go, which helps breed those heresies which you and I both seem to appreciate. Imagine a place which even Ravenloft natives are desperate to escape! Rumors of a mistway to the far northwest, its secret tightly held by the Dervich Merchant's Guild, become tantalizing.

Thanks again for your review!
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

IanFordam wrote:as for the wereweasels, I wrote them up in the first place because they are mentioned in Circle of Darkness, and the notion entertained me. Ultimately I included them in the article two for reasons. First, I always like having "local color" monsters for new places. Second, I think there's some juicy, creepy possibility in an infected wereweasel waking up after an unexpected winter stuck in animal form. All that said, feedback indicates that I should use a tighter focus in any future articles.
When I read about the wereweasel I had this in my mind from the concept they had about the basilisk in medieval times.

"The basilisk's weakness is the odor of the weasel, which, according to Pliny, was thrown into the basilisk's hole, recognisable because some of the surrounding shrubs and grass had been scorched by its presence."

It was thought that weasels are the natural predators of the basilisk. Although in the monstrous compedium there is no such reference I found one in Pathfinder site Archives of Nethys.

"For unknown reasons, weasels and ferrets are immune to the basilisk’s stare, and they sometimes sneak into basilisk lairs while a parent is hunting in order to consume eggs or freshly hatched young. Some legends suggest that a basilisk’s blood can transmute common stones into other material, but this is likely a case of witnesses misinterpreting the magical restoration of previously petrified creatures or body parts."

Just food for thought...

PS
It is fortunate that G'Henna was taken away or else the Spawn of the Lizard would have a problem...
Jeremy16
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jeremy16 »

Mephisto wrote:
IanFordam wrote:as for the wereweasels, I wrote them up in the first place because they are mentioned in Circle of Darkness, and the notion entertained me. Ultimately I included them in the article two for reasons. First, I always like having "local color" monsters for new places. Second, I think there's some juicy, creepy possibility in an infected wereweasel waking up after an unexpected winter stuck in animal form. All that said, feedback indicates that I should use a tighter focus in any future articles.
When I read about the wereweasel I had this in my mind from the concept they had about the basilisk in medieval times.

"The basilisk's weakness is the odor of the weasel, which, according to Pliny, was thrown into the basilisk's hole, recognisable because some of the surrounding shrubs and grass had been scorched by its presence."

It was thought that weasels are the natural predators of the basilisk. Although in the monstrous compedium there is no such reference I found one in Pathfinder site Archives of Nethys.

"For unknown reasons, weasels and ferrets are immune to the basilisk’s stare, and they sometimes sneak into basilisk lairs while a parent is hunting in order to consume eggs or freshly hatched young. Some legends suggest that a basilisk’s blood can transmute common stones into other material, but this is likely a case of witnesses misinterpreting the magical restoration of previously petrified creatures or body parts."

Just food for thought...

PS
It is fortunate that G'Henna was taken away or else the Spawn of the Lizard would have a problem...
When I read about the wereweasel all I could think of was this...
Attachments
71X5c1em01L._SL1200_.jpg
71X5c1em01L._SL1200_.jpg (243.01 KiB) Viewed 1682 times
Last edited by Jeremy16 on Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.