Quoth the Raven #28 review thread

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Hell_Born
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Quoth the Raven #28 review thread

Post by Hell_Born »

Jeremy16 wrote:Here's my first hot take on the issue (usually my reviews take from days to weeks to fully form). I'm a slow reader, so I'm starting with the smaller articles and working my way up to the mammoth ones (looking at you Victor Gagne!).

Hands Stained with Shadow

I recently became aware of the Grim Hollow RPG after perusing the FoS forums and was interested to see what this article would bring to the table. While GH may seem like just another fantasy horror setting focused more on the fantasy instead of the horror, after wading through VRGtR this year I am much more appreciatie of genuine efforts at creating dark worlds with a flavor all their own (as opposed to revamping or watering down previous product lines).

But I digress. Let's take a closer look at these character classes...

Overall, it's a mixed bag. Some are pretty neat (the Green Reaper, Plague Doctor and the Circle of Mutation are my favorites), others are good for NPC backgrounds only (anything to do with Sangromancy and both warlock entries), and a few have already been done elsewhere (the Vermin Lord and Inquisition Domain remind me of 3E prestige classes). Not that that's the writers fault, they're simply adapting the material for Ravenloft.

I would have liked to see a couple NPCs outlined just to better illustrate what could be done with these things. But, at least it got my creative juices going. I can just picture a Borcan mercenary Green Reaper who sells their services to anyone who wants to get their hands on rare poison ingredients, a Mutation Druid bursting out of Vechor to spread the word of his "divine" revelation, or a Plague Doctor from Lamordia that travels the Core as an infectious disease expert who is considered a wizard by most people he encounters all the while protesting that his work is entirely based on science!
Firstly, thank you; this was my first time every submitting to QtR despite being here since the series first began, so I really am interested to see what people think of my submissions.

Secondly, the thought of doing sample NPCs never crossed my mind, but you're right, that probably would have made this article better. I can take a stab at some now, if folks would like, just as a forum bonus. Is it okay if I borrow from my other articles whilst doing so, though?
"Is there any word more meaningless than 'hope'? Besides 'blarfurgsnarg,' of course."

"Seek and Locate! Locate and Destroy! Destroy and Rejoice!"
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

Hell_Born wrote:Secondly, the thought of doing sample NPCs never crossed my mind, but you're right, that probably would have made this article better. I can take a stab at some now, if folks would like, just as a forum bonus. Is it okay if I borrow from my other articles whilst doing so, though?
If you are interested you can use Wachekapitan Klaus Graf from "Spawn of the Lizard" for the Mutation Druid as his cult sacrifices people to the Green Maiden.
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Thank to all the authors for their contributions and for the FoS for their efforts to put this beauty together. I didn't have the chance to read this QtR yet, but I am glad it is here and look forward to it.

Thank you again!
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Wolfglide of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Wolfglide of the Fraternity »

Hell_Born wrote:The Conferences of Victor Gagne: I must confess, when I saw from the subtitle that this was the final article in this series, I was relieved. I've not enjoyed this series at all; I've never been able to follow the narrative, in large part because I didn't really care about who the characters were or what they were doing. The technical aspects of this article, like its predecessors, are all solid, I just don't like this series.
I am glad to hear about the technical aspects. Those are often the parts I am least sure about.
Mistmaster wrote:Poor Victor survived his adventures? I'm pleasany surprised; nice characters expecially the Rakshasa who is evil but not more then what he must be. The magic chamber bot was pure genious.
Thank you for your assessment. Regarding the chamber pot specifically, I occasionally find it interesting to consider those ubiquitous parts of life that generally get glossed over in games and in fiction---restroom breaks, menstrual cycles, etc. We know they have to happen, but generally they are not central to the narrative, so no time is made for them. When one is being kept in magical slumber for two straight days, however, it is hard to ignore that kidneys are still in operation.

In a similar vein, I think a ring of sustenance and a reverse osmosis machine might constitute an infinite water source.
tomokaicho wrote:Conferences has concluded. What an epic. Slight quibble with the statblock for Ciphramir. While Ciphramir is a Rakshasa, and can naturally cast sorcerer spells, not being a sorcerer at all he cannot advance his sorcerer spellcasting through ultimate magus until he has at least 1 level in the sorcerer base class.
I must say, it is cool to hear the word "epic" used to describe the story. Thank you.

I assume the issue is in interpreting the "+1 level of existing spontaneous arcane casting class." He casts spells as a sorcerer, but isn't technically a member of the class, so it is a fair point. However, if one were to think of "rakshasa" as a racial class (perhaps using Savage Species rules), I might argue that it is a spontaneous arcane casting class in its own right, and thus eligible for advancement.
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

You could also argue Ciphramir advances in sorcerous power with every hit die, so levelling up does affect his magical abilities.
tomokaicho
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tomokaicho »

Wolfglide wrote:I must say, it is cool to hear the word "epic" used to describe the story. Thank you.

I assume the issue is in interpreting the "+1 level of existing spontaneous arcane casting class." He casts spells as a sorcerer, but isn't technically a member of the class, so it is a fair point. However, if one were to think of "rakshasa" as a racial class (perhaps using Savage Species rules), I might argue that it is a spontaneous arcane casting class in its own right, and thus eligible for advancement.
I am quibbling here. As far as the rules are concerned, I am certain that I am correct. That said, its no big deal. Players will not complain that Ciphramir has an invalid build. The Rule of Cool and/or Rule Zero can apply, but if the question is whether Ciphramir's build is valid, it isn't. One other thing - the spell Replace is hard to understand without the context given in the narrative text elsewhere in Conferences.
Rock wrote:You could also argue Ciphramir advances in sorcerous power with every hit die, so levelling up does affect his magical abilities.
An advanced HD rakshasa still casts as a 7th level Sorcerer, unfortunately. Its statblock lacks the "casts as a Sorcerer of its HD". But even then, it still needs to take a level of Sorcerer to advance spellcasting via a prestige class.

Away from the quibbles, while this is the final part of Victor's story, I certainly hope this isn't the end of this theme. There is still the Red Haunt. Mu. The World Engine. The Wartorn Cluster. And what in the Nine Hells happened to Xavan?
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

tomokaicho wrote: Away from the quibbles, while this is the final part of Victor's story, I certainly hope this isn't the end of this theme. There is still the Red Haunt. Mu. The World Engine. The Wartorn Cluster. And what in the Nine Hells happened to Xavan?
I'm very flattered that you're interested in my creations. :)
While I only got involved with the Conferences later on, it pleases me no end to take a minor percentage of that "epic" - and to know my additions have made a favorable impression.
As for Xavan: the word "hell" is very appropriate for what's going on with him. The Centurions have no reason to keep him alive or comfortable beyond the point they've drained him of all the information they want. He's having a Very. Bad. Time.
Jeremy16
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jeremy16 »

Hell_Born wrote:
Secondly, the thought of doing sample NPCs never crossed my mind, but you're right, that probably would have made this article better. I can take a stab at some now, if folks would like, just as a forum bonus. Is it okay if I borrow from my other articles whilst doing so, though?
See, I say that, but you'll notice that my article has no stats in it all. I did that deliberately partly to make it system agnostic and partly because I am just not good at stats. To each his own, I say!
tomokaicho
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tomokaicho »

Rock wrote:
tomokaicho wrote:As for Xavan: the word "hell" is very appropriate for what's going on with him. The Centurions have no reason to keep him alive or comfortable beyond the point they've drained him of all the information they want. He's having a Very. Bad. Time.
Technically speaking, Xavan is a deity, although sitting at zero divine ranks. Normally this is the kind of situation where a mortal prays for divine intervention. I assume, if Xavan can speak at all, he is begging Xovaroth for deliverance. That said, Xavan's divine rank zero list of immunities - sleep, paralysis, acid, transmutation, energy drain, ability drain, ability damage, mind-affecting effects - rule out many magical tortures, so the Centurions will have to go the traditional route. I think I mentioned in the previous review thread that it would be hilarious if Xavan ended up on Mordenheim's operating table. I think that's unlikely to happen but I note that Harmony Schlosser is an Alchemical Philosopher, had access to Victor Mordenheim (and thus biological samples of Mordenheim). Could an enlightened child simulacrum of Victor Mordenheim be dissecting Xavan to uncover the secrets of the divine? Its possible.

EDIT: This is probably a good time to mention how disappointing the Alchemical Philosopher PrC is because it does not advance spellcasting. Given the large number of mistakes in the 3E Ravenloft run, all I can think of is that this is in error and spellcasting progression was simply forgotten.
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Who needs Victor Mordenheim when you have Katia Schlosser?
Or some clockwork-powered drills and saws, heavy-duty shackles and a soundproof dungeon...

"It's not about making them beg you to stop.
It's about making them beg you to finish it."
tomokaicho
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tomokaicho »

Has Victor Gagné converted to the faith of Brightwell? I notice that on page 394 Victor makes an exclamation referencing a Brightwell religious concept.
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

You'd have to ask Wolfglide about that.
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

If you were referring to Victor's use of 'the Hollow' as a curseword, that term is used by both the Ezran and Brightwellian faiths. They just hold different convictions about it, with Ezra claiming it is a flaw in the Grand Scheme, and Brightwell saying it's all there is and no Grand Scheme exists.
tomokaicho
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tomokaicho »

Rock wrote:If you were referring to Victor's use of 'the Hollow' as a curseword, that term is used by both the Ezran and Brightwellian faiths. They just hold different convictions about it, with Ezra claiming it is a flaw in the Grand Scheme, and Brightwell saying it's all there is and no Grand Scheme exists.
That is to what I was referring. I suppose that doesn't exclude a conversion. I was thinking of religious Stockholm Syndrome.
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

I... think it would take more interaction with the church of Brightwell for that.
And maybe a religion whose hard rules aren't limited to "be who you want to be and grow strong", "don't enslave people", "don't transform people into tools" and "don't mess with little children".