About To Run Hour Of The Knife. Any Tips?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Rathbone
Conspirator
Conspirator

About To Run Hour Of The Knife. Any Tips?

Post by Rathbone »

My Ravenloft sessions are a bit of a compromise because I only have three players. So far, we've done Feast Of Goblyns which everyone felt went on a bit too long (it was my first time running it and I guess you only really find out how well a campaign runs when you play it through), followed by something I wrote myself which went down a lot better. I want to try Hour Of The Knife now. It looks challenging but I think it could work extremely well.

I'm going to pad out the party with a couple of NPCs. Has anyone else run this campaign? How did it go? Any tips or advice? Mucho thanks.
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: About To Run Hour Of The Knife. Any Tips?

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

I'd recommend reading the Paridon Gazetteer, followed by the Van Richten Society report on dread doppelgangers, and have a good look at dread doppelganger tactics. It might give you ideas, and a good grasp of the atmosphere of Paridon.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

I concur.

Also, don't be afraid to change Paridon if it fits your campaign better. For example, an island city state that supports its population by fishing and food imports while exporting finished goods and ideas could work if you don't want to deal with the issues of a city of Paridon's size lacking the proper rural communities to support it.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Rathbone
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Rathbone »

Thank you both, alhoon and Rock. That's great advice and I'll follow up on it. Cheers.