LFG Classic Ravenloft Campaign

Discussing all things Ravenloft

Which rules would you want to play with?

AD&D
22%
D&D 3.5
44%
D&D 5E
33%

Total votes: 9

Lord Soth
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

LFG Classic Ravenloft Campaign

Post by Lord Soth »

I’m interested in getting an online game going in the Classic Ravenloft setting (NOT the new book, and of course, some current player races wouldn’t be available as PC races, like Dragonborn, Tiefling, etc.), and I was wondering if anyone else here was interested in doing the same, either as players or as a DM. My preference would be for a campaign which begins with the black box, in 735 BC, and moves through the Grand Conjunction and events which occurred afterwards, while playing through many of the adventures published in the past. The setting of the campaign would be purely 2E/3E material, and take nothing from the latest book except possibly mechanics/races (assuming 5E rules). Maybe treat the campaign more like Sherlock Holmes stories, where the characters go on an adventure, return to their normal lives, and then weeks or months later take on the challenge of another adventure, thus allowing for the passage of time without characters flying up to Level 20 in a year (although I’d prefer to see milestone leveling rather than XP leveling, again assuming 5E rules). So would anyone here be interested in that?

If so, my questions are as follows:

1) Which system would you prefer to use? AD&D, D&D 3.5, or 5E?

2) Would you be willing to pay a DM to take on this kind of campaign? Personally I’m willing to pay for a DM if necessary, as I want the best play experience and am willing to provide additional motivation for a good DM.

3) Would you be okay with slower/milestone leveling in order to make the most of the campaign?

4) What other things would you like to see in such a Ravenloft campaign?

5) Would you be interested in playing an I6/Curse of Strahd “mini-campaign” beforehand? This I would be willing to DM, although if someone is willing to DM that as well, then that would be great. It would take place in 528 BC, according to when it happened in the regular Ravenloft timeline. Once that campaign is complete, we would begin again in 735 BC with new characters, and the characters from the previous campaign would become NPC’s, ancestors, or other historical figures.

I’d really like to get a campaign going, starting with the black box era with the potential of carrying forward and moving into the Arthaus era, so if anyone else is interested in this idea, please comment below, and vote on which edition of rules you’d prefer to play it in. Thanks.
Man lives in the sunlit world
Of what he believes to be reality.
But, there is, unseen by most, an underworld,
A place that is just as real,
But not as brightly lit.....
A DARKSIDE.
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: LFG Classic Ravenloft Campaign

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

Lord Soth wrote:1) Which system would you prefer to use? AD&D, D&D 3.5, or 5E?
Lord Soth wrote:2) Would you be willing to pay a DM to take on this kind of campaign? Personally I’m willing to pay for a DM if necessary, as I want the best play experience and am willing to provide additional motivation for a good DM.
No I believe this is a hobby and people should do it out of fun.
Lord Soth wrote:3) Would you be okay with slower/milestone leveling in order to make the most of the campaign?
i prefer slow advancement.
Lord Soth wrote:4) What other things would you like to see in such a Ravenloft campaign?
House on Gryphon Hill redux, meaning after correcting the mistakes that this adventure has (like why Azalin "lives" in the bsement)
Lord Soth wrote:5) Would you be interested in playing an I6/Curse of Strahd “mini-campaign” beforehand? This I would be willing to DM, although if someone is willing to DM that as well, then that would be great. It would take place in 528 BC, according to when it happened in the regular Ravenloft timeline. Once that campaign is complete, we would begin again in 735 BC with new characters, and the characters from the previous campaign would become NPC’s, ancestors, or other historical figures.
That sounds cool, the problem with me is that I have read most of the official adventures and I have a good memory of them.

I’d really like to get a campaign going, starting with the black box era with the potential of carrying forward and moving into the Arthaus era, so if anyone else is interested in this idea, please comment below, and vote on which edition of rules you’d prefer to play it in. Thanks.[/quote]
The other problem is probably time-difference. UTC +3
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
SkiBird
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by SkiBird »

I would be cautious with using milestone leveling with AD&D2nd edition. The classes had dissimilar advancement rates [XP tables leveled at different rates for different classes, I mean]. 12,000 XP looked very different to a rogue than it did to a paladin or a wizard.

That being said, 2E is my favorite of the editions (although a case could be made for 5E as well).

If this gets legs under it, I would consider applying.
Lord Soth
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Soth »

Well, when I say milestone leveling, I’m specifically referring to using 5E rules. AD&D has much slower leveling than 5E as a matter of course, so I’m not worried about that.
A DARKSIDE.
Pizza
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Pizza »

How many times a week would you be looking to play and for how long each session? Target time and day of the week? What resources would the player need to have as far as books go? Would you be open to someone who has played very little DND and no Ravenloft?

How much does a professional DM usually charge? I like the idea in general.
Lord Soth
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Soth »

I’m thinking about 4 hours every Sunday night, EST.

Players would need the rulebook for whichever edition is being used as well as a campaign setting book (PDF’s are easily acquired at Drivethrurpg). So for example, let’s say we get a group together and settle on the 3.5 rules. A player, then, could get the 3.5 PHB PDF here (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/14 ... andbook-35) and also pick up this book to get the lay of the land of the Ravenloft setting in 735 BC (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/17 ... =Ravenloft+).

And sure, a relatively new player would be fine.

I think professional DM’s may charge $10-20 per player per session. That seems fair to me, especially if the DM were an exceptionally good one.
A DARKSIDE.
SkiBird
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by SkiBird »

Best of luck, fellas. I thought this was an interest check for a PbP game.

I won’t be available for any sort of weekly time slot.
Gautsu
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Gautsu »

I would love to be up for this, unfortunately my work schedule prevents any kind ofbregular weekly gaming (I work 4 on 4 off). Outside of that this is right up my alley. So good luck
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

I wish this had been an interest check for PbP.
I have work on monday, and time zones mean I'd probably get way too little rest if I committed to this game.
It's a shame; I would have loved to play through those modules.