VRGtR: Call-backs and other Continuity Nods

Discussing all things Ravenloft
SkiBird
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

VRGtR: Call-backs and other Continuity Nods

Post by SkiBird »

Hey gang, I've been thumbing through my copy of VRGtR and I keep noticing little shout-outs to that-which-has-gone-before.

Some of them are inconsequential to the plot ... simply mentioning a place name or minor NPC. A continuity nod, little more. A wink to those in the know.

Others carry a bit more weight ... calling attention to plot points that existed prior the publication of this book and are relevant to the current situation. A call-back, as it were, where knowledge of the thing being referenced actually changes the context of the scene/setting in which it is being mentioned.

I propose that this thread be a bit of a repository for such things.

I'll be honest ... I'm starting this thread out of a nagging sense that I'm missing the 'bigger picture.' VRGtR uses a ton of these named NPC's and place names ... but not always with a ton of context. When the character/place/event actually gets named in VRGtR, they have been sort of easy to research and Mistipedia has been a great help. I've been able to refresh my memory on a bunch of neat stuff — the list of noble families of Borca, and amost every named NPC in Har'Akir comes to mind — but I have this nagging suspicion that I'm missing some of the finer points because the references are too oblique.

An example of what I mean by oblique would be the passing reference to Sithicus (and possibly Cavitius?) contained in the writeup for Klorr. Without mentioning them by name — referring to a tower like a blackened rose and a city of skulls, respectively — it might be hard to pick up on the intended reference if one were not familiar with that-which-has-gone-before.

Now, while I cannot control where folks might wander off when the inevitable conversation-tangents strike ... I will say that in my mind's eye, this thread should have an informal 'Dragnet' rule in effect. That is, just the facts.

For example: If such-and-such NPC is mentioned on pg 53 ... then it would be appropriate to call attention to the previous supplements that the NPC came from. But maybe not, necessarily, that you disagree with that NPC's usage/placement/reimagining.

Here is an example of what I am getting at.

In the Adventures in Kartakass there is a reference to Radaga, and a mention of a search for a mysterious crown.

Two entries earlier on that same list there is a mystery centered around a play wherein one of the actors is found murdered. The actor, as it happens, is well known for playing a character that meets the same fate.

Now, the first is obvious. Feast of Goblyns, naturally. But the second one is a lot more oblique ... and I'm left wondering if this adventure hook already existed elsewhere in lore/canon or is being created from whole cloth.

I know it's a bit of a scavenger hunt and a lot to ask, but if folks find that they are making connections between the old and the new ... I think this thread would be a neat place to list some of it to help the others who might be missing the clues.

Thanks for your attention, gang, and happy hunting!
SkiBird
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Re: VRGtR: Call-backs and other Continuity Nods

Post by SkiBird »

Borca Adventures, item #1, lists Nostalia Romaine in an adventure seed.

This is, of course, is the emordenung detailed in the 2nd edition Ravenloft Monstrous Compendium II.
SkiBird
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by SkiBird »

Mordent Adventures, item #6, lists Westcote Manor (and an accompanying curse).

This is detailed in the 2nd edition module, Howls in the Night.
SkiBird
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by SkiBird »

The writeup on Sturben describes a Faceless Court (and they appear again in Borcan Adventures, item #4).

There is enough overlap that the FC is likely a progression / updating of the League of Nine (which, as near as I can tell exists only as unpublished notes from Gaz IV)

The two groups are different enough that I don't think one is necessarily a copy of the other. Maybe there is room enough in the tent for both to exist?
SkiBird
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by SkiBird »

The writeup on Idlethorp in Mordent contains a reference to the ruins of Punchinel Manor.

More info on this can be found in Children of the Night: The Created.
onmyoji
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by onmyoji »

These should all be gathered up and entered into Mistipedia somewhere. In time, this thread will just kind of fall by the wayside, but this is the kind of data that Mistipedia was presumably created to document.

— onmyoji
CrackedMack
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by CrackedMack »

In The House of Lament adventure, the haunted Evensong Harp, Lyron Evansong and a tune named Blood-Tears of Claveria are mentioned during a potential haunting encounter in the house's music room.

These are references to Baron Lyron Evensong, darklord of Liffe, who is found in the settlement of Claveria and was introduced in an adventure in Book of Crypts.
The Midnight Marinara Podcast: horror anthology audio drama
SkiBird
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by SkiBird »

Nevuchar Springs, the famous Cascana Sanitarium, whose patients emerge 'psychologically changed.'

No clue on this one. Brand new, perhaps?

Cascana/Carcosa? A stretch, but maybe a cross-mythological nod to The King in Yellow?
SkiBird
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by SkiBird »

onmyoji wrote:These should all be gathered up and entered into Mistipedia somewhere. In time, this thread will just kind of fall by the wayside, but this is the kind of data that Mistipedia was presumably created to document.

— onmyoji
Totally agree.

I figured that until someone edits/creates the pages in question, this thread could be a collection of things in VRGtR that might prompt an 'oh wow, I guess I missed that' from readers.
SkiBird
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by SkiBird »

Adventures in Darkon. A string of murders occurs near Redleaf Lake and somehow the dowager Damita Adler is involved.

I haven't the faintest clue on this one. No part of this is ringing any bells for me. Does anyone recognize this one?
onmyoji
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by onmyoji »

I went through pages 1-93 and these are the ones I know. Page numbers are for first mention, though many are mentioned again.
  • — p. 6: Natalia Vhorishkova — See Mistipedia for references.
    — p. 17: Jander Sunstar — Vampire of the Mists (novel) and Children of the Night: Vampires.
    — p. 17: Savra Sunstar — NEW.
    — p. 38: Azalin Rex — See Mistipedia for references.
    — p. 48: Cosmic Horror Monster Table: Vampiric mind flayer — Thoughts of Darkness
    — p. 64: Ezra, God of the Mists — See Mistipedia for references.
    — p. 72: Firan Zal'Honan (misspelled in text) — From the Shadows, King of the Dead (novel), and likely many other sources. 
    — p. 72: Lyssa von Zarovich — Thoughts of Darkness and Children of the Night: Vampires.
    — p. 74: Bluetspur Adventures Table #8 — Thoughts of Darkness, inspired from I-10: House on Gryphon Hill.
    — p. 84-88: The Carnival — The Carnival. Not sure if all NPCs in VRGtR are in the original The Carnival book.
    — p. 90: Darcalus Rex — King of the Dead (novel).
    — p. 92: Darkon Allies Table #6, Skeever — From the Shadows
— onmyoji
Last edited by onmyoji on Fri May 28, 2021 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SkiBird
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by SkiBird »

Martira Bay. Specifically, the unprecedented number of serial killers operating there.

The Midnight Slasher. Likely a retread/transplant from the Karina-based Invidian mad(wo)man described in the Ravenloft Monstrous Compendium II.

The Spider, the Weeping Woman ... no clue. Anyone out there see something I'm missing on this one?

EDIT — Scratch Spider off of the list. Mistipedia lists this character and cites them as having come from Van Richten's Guide to Vampires.
onmyoji
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by onmyoji »

It occurs to me that this might be quite a great deal easier if we just went through and made an alphabetical listing of all the named NPCs and such and then tried to connect them to previous canonical references. I'm not sure if you want to edit your original posting to add such a list that can just be continually edited until everything is figured out. Up to you.

— onmyoji
SkiBird
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by SkiBird »

An NPC list would be helpful, but I’m also after the more obscure references. No name, just a vague description (like the murdered actor’s ironic death).
onmyoji
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by onmyoji »

SkiBird wrote:An NPC list would be helpful, but I’m also after the more obscure references. No name, just a vague description (like the murdered actor’s ironic death).
Ah, I see. Well, we can list those too, verbose as it might be. I just think if people could see what was needed (or, alternately, what we already had) in the first post, it might help because they wouldn't have to read through every post. Up to you though. It's your thread.

— onmyoji