Editing Feedback

Discussions on the Fraternity netbooks

How would you rate ScS' editing?

Good.
60%
Awful! Painful! Oh it burns, it does!
No votes
Too heavy handed! Help! Help! I'm being repressed!
No votes
Who? What? Where am I?
40%

Total votes: 10

ScS of the Fraternity

Editing Feedback

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

Hi Everyone,

As issue 9 comes careening into the finishing line, I find myself looking towards next issue. Right now I've decided to evaluate my strategies for editing entires into the netbooks.
Now, a few of our members have had the experience of my own brand of the editing process, and though I haven't had any complaints as such, I still have to review my performance.

So, if its not too much trouble I would like to ask some of the people who I've worked with to rate my performance, and if possible, post some feedback on areas to improve.
Polls are completly anonomys, and by posting as a guest you can ensure anomynity.

Thanks, and be brutal.
Evil Reigns!!!!
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Depends on the work.

Most of the time the passages edited did need some work and end up better. Other times not so much. Could be lighter in a few places but has only improved my articles as a whole.
Plus the quantity is really a reflection of the article itself. Some, like my Gentleman Caller piece, were barely altered at all. Period here, some formatting there and a word choice over that hill near the horizon. Others, like my attempt to Goth and Ravenloft up Paladin war-horses were rejected and/or shaken up more than a can of spray-paint held by a busty girl jumping on a trampoline during an earthquake.

But in the end, after the revison, restructuring and heavy reimagining the work is shiny and pretty.
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

I'm always greatful for another eye and some editing in my pieces, I am notirious for countless typo's and since I type alot in British English, it often needs a little work for it to make sense in American English ;)
Swallow your soul!
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

I don't exactly understand what do you mean ScS. By editing you mean reviewing the articles people send you for the QtR? Or do you mean editing the general layout of the netzine?

From the other responces I understand that you ask about editing. As for editing articles, I don't remember if you reviewed any of my articles, but I enjoy suggestions. No article is perfect. Some are better than others, but they can all get better.

If you mean the general layout of the netzine, I prefer the blue outlines than the old red ones. It was a nice change, especially for a nautical theme netzine.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Daisu
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Daisu »

by the time my article got submitted, the thing went out. Though working with Joel on the begining process was good, but after that i heard nothing, not even if my article got approved by the others. So I voted, who, what, and other words Huh!!
I like to be involved with the editing process, I like to hear feedback and in fact think I am very starved for attention :) I am very new to the site and just as unfamiliar with your editing process.
Daisu
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Daisu »

Not getting many more responses over the editing. I sent draft of my next adventure, but it is a draft like feeback over it, i do not want to see it put into the netbook in its current form, i wanted to know if my idea was a sound one before i put it into detail. I rewriting as i post here to resubmit it, in fear that my later copy would be used.
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Post by Jason of the Fraternity »

Daisu wrote:I sent draft of my next adventure, but it is a draft like feeback over it, i do not want to see it put into the netbook in its current form, i wanted to know if my idea was a sound one before i put it into detail.
While there is certainly nothing wrong with asking us (the editors) for feedback and suggestions on a rough draft, please keep in mind that we are very busy people who do a lot of work both here at the website as well as at our own jobs. As with this case, the earlier you submit something to us, the easier it is for us to take our time to check it over and send it back to you.

I would remind everyone that it would still be in your best interest to make sure that your submissions (even for rough drafts) have been scrubbed for typographical and grammatical mistakes. Plus, it is helpful for us to have some sort of basic design already done on a submission. A string of ideas are fine and good for us to say "yeah, it looks interesting," but we can only do so much with that.

Now, I haven't seen this adventure draft as of yet so this statement isn't meant as a direct response to your submission. I just wanted to make sure that everyone understands that our time is limited and needs to be used efficiently.

Jason
[i]Pandemonium did not reign, it poured![/i]