Vistani vs. Gentleman Caller

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Vistani vs. Gentleman Caller

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

It suddenly hit me: why aren't the Vistani trying to take out the Gentleman Caller?

Are they simply unaware that he's been deliberately siring his offspring, some of them Dukkars, by targeting women of Zarovan blood? With all the knowledge they can access, how is that possible?
Are they afraid of tackling him directly? Then why not tell a lot of adventurers about the demon and his weaknesses?
Welcome to my webcomic, Sarcantasy.
You can read it here:

Comicfury; Tapas; Webtoon

Come drop by and leave a comment; you'll make my day.
SilentRave
Conspirator
Conspirator

Re: Vistani vs. Gentleman Caller

Post by SilentRave »

Guess it boils down to lack of content beyond the GJ and nothing else tbh. Really curious how the new RL product will treat major NPCs of RL cosmology, but then again I'd lie if I believed for a second that's what is going to happen, knowing everything is gonna be an Island of Terror after that.
History is made only by those who oppose history, not by those who insert themselves into it, or even reshape it - Gilles Deleuze, Félix Guattari.
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

They are in my head-canon; he can't be divined so easily thought.
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

He could be the Ancient Enemy of the Vistani, the one they came to the Demoplane to escape from. Though I doubt this is the case.
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

He is the transfixed soul of the First Dukkar, the one who destroyed the Vistani Kingdom in Invidia and forced the majority of Vistana to wander forever.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

I would expect that his Reality Wrinkle protects him a bit from vistani Sight, which is somehow linked to the fabric of the demiplane. Maybe they will eventually catch on, but that should be enough for him to at least have started his plans before they put things together enough to go after him. The vistani going after him is a good plot hook. But them foreseeing what he'd do and stopping him before he starts isn't as compelling. Thus, enter the DM-tool/Plot device of the Reality Wrinkle.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

From an OOC standpoint it seems like thread of Malocchio working for the Gentleman Caller in gathering Vistani women was kind of let go. In any case, one could argue the GC meddling with the Vistani would have not been necessary had they not bound Malocchio to Invidia- as Mal could have teleported himself- along with the GC, right out of Ravenloft. So in character if you wanted to go with and explain any sort of hesitancy for direct action against the GC, perhaps they fear further retaliation from him or his brood.

On the other hand, you could interpret that the participation of Madame Fortuna and the Skurra vera in Carnival as an example of the Vistani working against the GC. The existence of the Skurra vera masks would seem like something that would require a lot of time and resources to develop and perfect.

The existence of the Tribe of Hyskosa complicates Vistani participation in the GC's activities. If you go by the revelations of Gaz V and further descriptions in Champions of Darkness, they are meddling with Azalin Rex's exploitation of the GC's children for his own end as revenge for indirectly causing their downfall. How the rest of the Vistani might view this rogue clan's activities would be interesting to consider.