Ravenloft is back in 5e?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Joël of the FoS

Ravenloft is back in 5e?

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Themisteckons.jpg
Themisteckons.jpg (43.31 KiB) Viewed 6958 times
https://twitter.com/Wizards_DnD/status/ ... Yv-9uWjnFA

Spirits of the Ouija, what are you telling us?

Click the link and go see it I do not want to spoil the fun.

Do not check next message if you plan to look at it.
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Joël of the FoS

Re: Ravenloft is back in 5e?

"the mist beckons" ???

Sounds like there will be something ravenloftish made in 5e!
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
FiranDarcalus
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by FiranDarcalus »

Saw it today as well....speculation on what it will be?

Campaign setting reboot (ala Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide but for Ravenloft) or something else in the vein of Curse of Strahd? Maybe Gryphon Hill getting rebooted?

I am cautiously optimistic it will be something cool. Then again, Wizards often disappoints me.
Joël of the FoS

I also doubt my % of approuval will be very very high, but that said, I'm happy they do something with Ravenloft in 5e.

And it will make new material of which we can salvage bits to our games.

EDIT after announcement : change that to very excited :D
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Well, I'm going to be outright optimistic. More Ravenloft is more Ravenloft. I hope it's amazing. If it's not, I'm sure there will be something worth plundering. (Even the worst RL products have inspired good things.) Bring it on, WotC!
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
tomokaicho
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tomokaicho »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:Well, I'm going to be outright optimistic. More Ravenloft is more Ravenloft. I hope it's amazing. If it's not, I'm sure there will be something worth plundering. (Even the worst RL products have inspired good things.) Bring it on, WotC!
I wish that WotC would open up DM's Guild content to all editions of D&D.
onmyoji
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by onmyoji »

My guess is something regarding Azalin, given his recent seemingly random appearance in Tasha. That aside, part of me thinks—if anything—it'll be a new module altogether rather than a rewrite of something we've already seen.

I doubt it'll be Gryphon Hill. That needs so much work that I highly doubt WotC will do it all for us.

— onmyoji
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

Post by Dion of the Fraternity »

"VAN RICHTEN'S GUIDE TO RAVENLOFT" just popped up on Amazon. So yes it's a condensed campaign setting book.
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

I guess Hell_Born was right probably some Vistani blood is running in this member's veins...

I must say I have low expectations, unless WotC took advice of our discussion in What would you want in an official 5e Ravenloft setting?

But an animation of the setting even as a Strahd zombie is always good news.

Ssssstr...aaaaaaaaaaaaa...ahd!!!
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
FiranDarcalus
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by FiranDarcalus »

This is what Amazon says:

Terror stalks the nightmare realms of Ravenloft. No one knows this better than monster scholar Rudolph Van Richten. To arm a new generation against the creatures of the night, Van Richten has compiled his correspondence and case files into this tome of eerie tales and chilling truths.

• Travel (perhaps even by choice) to Ravenloft's expanded Domains of Dread—each domain with its own unique flavor of horror, thrilling story hooks, and grisly cast of characters

• Craft your own D&D horror settings, add tension with optional rules, and get advice for running a game that's ghastly in all the right ways

• Create characters with lineages tied to vampires, undead, and hags, horror-themed subclasses, the Investigator background, and "Dark Gifts" that may be a double-edged sword

• Unleash nightmarish monsters from an expanded bestiary, and browse a collection of mysterious trinkets

• Explore Ravenloft in the included Dungeons & Dragons adventure—play as a stand-alone adventure or drop it into your current game for a bit of sinister fun

Now, to be fair, it's not on Wizard's website yet, so no guarantee this is accurate. But if it is, looks kinda cool!
FiranDarcalus
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by FiranDarcalus »

Amazon also gives a release date of May 18, 2021...which I find surprising. I would think Halloween would seem more likely. If this is accurate, the Investigator class option seems possibly neat.

Assuming all this is accurate, what domains do you think will be included? Will they all be islands like CoS Barovia? Or will a Core come back? What do you guys think?
Joël of the FoS

Neat cover!
152295384_10159249750761385_8484509986868879714_n.jpg
152295384_10159249750761385_8484509986868879714_n.jpg (42.88 KiB) Viewed 6862 times
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Two covers: https://twitter.com/Wizards_DnD/status/ ... 90592?s=20

https://dnd.wizards.com/products/van-ri ... -ravenloft

More details:
https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/dunge ... gn-settin/
Thirty Domains of Dread will appear in Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft, providing a bevy of different kinds of horror archetypes. Some Domains are instantly iconic, such as the grim world of Lamordia populated by flesh golems created by Dr. Viktra Mordenheim. Other domains have received updates to better embody different genres of horror. Falcovia, for instance has become the site of an endless zombie apocalypse, kept at tide by cruel Vladesca Drakov. Likewise, Valachan now embodies the horror featured in genres like The Most Dangerous Game or Hunger Games, where the populace is hunted for sport. Several new domains and domains only mentioned in passing also appear in Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft, including Kalakeri, which features an endless war between two factions inspired by Indian folklore.
Sounds like they're really, really changing the setting...
(Unless that source is wrong.)
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

Post by Dion of the Fraternity »

Seems to me like some darklords have also changed gender, based on their names.

That's no surprise to me, though; the "Legend of the Five Rings" reboot switched the gender of at least one important character (M to F).
Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Five »

From what I've read so far, from multiple sources, I gotta say I'm interested in the changes. The inclusiveness of not only gothic horror but of its other brethren to D&D is awesome. If the horror tools and DM advice are done right (treated as a game supplement/thematic injection and not just a disclaimer), and the domains are examples of a particular genre of horror in play, with the ultimate purpose of stimulating DM adventure-creation, then the changes to the domains are an acceptable sacrifice as far as I'm concerned. New keepers, new vision. Whatever.

As long as horror is supported at the table it's a victory for Ravenloft...though the comment about horror in Ghostbusters and Scooby-Doo has my expectations a bit lower than I'd like. Heh I'm assuming that was just Wizard's way of stating they are doubling down on their PG-13 bubble. It's expected but the references are a little off-centre...
"A very piteous thing it was to see such a quantity of dead bodies, and such an outpouring of blood - that is, if they had not been enemies of the Christian faith."

- Jean Pierre Sarrasin, "The Memoirs of the Lord of Joinville"