A Thousand Year Old Vampire solo rpg

Discussing all roleplaying games
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

A Thousand Year Old Vampire solo rpg

Post by The Giamarga »

Check it out on DTRPG or on the authors site.

In Thousand Year Old Vampire you chronicle the many centuries of a vampire’s existence, beginning with the loss of mortality and ending with inevitable destruction. Prompt-driven play and simple resource tracking provide easy rules for exploring your character’s human failings, villainous acts, and surprising victories. Expect gut-churning decisions and irreconcilable acts.

The game mechanics are simple and intuitive. Play progresses semi-randomly through a book of Prompts which let you explore your vampire’s wants and needs, resolve problems, and chart the decline into senescence. Play can happen entirely within the character sheet or can become a journaling activity--both work equally well.

Vampires, for the purposes of this game, can mean nearly anything that is functionally immortal, doesn't like daylight, and preys on humans for sustenance. I like Montague Summers-type vampires myself, but this system is designed to be flexible.

All you need is the book or PDF, a d10 and d6 are recommended but optional. This is a solo game for you to play in lonely places wrapped in darkness, but can be played multiplayer if you like. Play can take from one to three hours, depending on how you go about things.

There’s an article on it on Forbes.com
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Re: A Thousand Year Old Vampire solo rpg

Post by alhoon »

I am glad someone else also found that gem.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Re: A Thousand Year Old Vampire solo rpg

Post by alhoon »

Here's my slightly different take on it. I kept all rules and prompts but with a few "cosmetic" changes.
Instead of a vampire in the Victorian sense, my protagonist was a person that achieved and sustained immortality through a ritual that required of him to bathe in the blood of others. It gives him immortality but soon, memories start to slip from his mind. Second, Instead of starting "really back in time" and have big leaps, I decided to start in the Early 1730s HRE so that 3-4 prompts could be 20-30 years. And it worked well.

You can check the End results of the "Journaling" style of game in my attached PDF. I warn you that it is a bit cheesy.

For those that are not aware of the game's mechanics, it is a game where you play an immortal being (supposedly a vampire but I deviated without issues) by answering prompts in a sentence or a small paragraph to slowly piece together your character's story. You make and lose characters, resources and accumulate skills. The main theme is that as you grow older, you slowly lose your memories. Which memories to keep and which are lost to time is the main thing of the game and there are nice mechanics to help you along. You can use a diary to record memories but if it is lost, so are the memories within.
Attachments
Sir_Walders_Journey.rar
(141.86 KiB) Downloaded 128 times
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!