New DMsGuild Product: Whos Doomed - The Lords of Ravenloft

Discussing all things Ravenloft
parnas
Conspirator
Conspirator

Re: New DMsGuild Product: Whos Doomed - The Lords of Ravenlo

Post by parnas »

Couldn't that be Patreon to release on dmsguild? Patrons can get a discount link (or even nothing, actually, since it's not like additional $3 would break a bank :) )
Mischief
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mischief »

Jester of the FoS wrote:Really, I'd just liked him to have more hit points.
If you run 5e Strahd again and want to keep it near vanilla, he can put his animated armor back on for 21 AC. (Disadvantage is ~ -4.5 so Strahd's stealth bonus will average +9.5, but he'll nat 1 because the dice hate Strahd.). Going from 16AC to 21AC is a ~ +2CR and drops his "getting hit rate" from ~75% to 50% versus level 9/10 PCs with a +9 or +10 attack bonus. Showing up in full armor might set the tone for the appointed room. It still won't stop him from being too squishy though. Strahd is still a run, hide, heal, and wait for unfavorable spell duration to expire type boss.

One of the overlooked tricks is to keep the Heart off when Strahd in the castle so it stays fresh until the time you are willing to expose Strahd to more danger. You don't want that heart HP wasted on any damage Strahd can regen by escaping and hiding.
FiranDarcalus
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by FiranDarcalus »

Jester,

Was curious if you have any plans to make another "Who's Doomed" sort of book, except this time w/ some of the heroes of Ravenloft? Would be interesting to see your take on characters such as the Weathermay-Foxgrove twins, Jander, Ivan Dragonov, Van Richten (even though he's sorta, kinda, deadish) etc.

Any plans to do something like that at some point?
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

FiranDarcalus wrote:Jester,

Was curious if you have any plans to make another "Who's Doomed" sort of book, except this time w/ some of the heroes of Ravenloft? Would be interesting to see your take on characters such as the Weathermay-Foxgrove twins, Jander, Ivan Dragonov, Van Richten (even though he's sorta, kinda, deadish) etc.

Any plans to do something like that at some point?
I was considering adding some heroes/ NPC helpers after doing the rest of the Darklords. As it's only five or six relatively simple stat blocks.
(I doubt a book of a half-dozen non-monster stat blocks would sell well enough on the Guild to justify being a different product.)

Although, I already updated van Richten in my Children of the Night book.
Jester of the FoS

Allies Against the Night: Sidekicks of Ravenloft

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/337328 ... _id=369234

So... I changed my mind and did a book of heroic NPCs anyway.
FiranDarcalus
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by FiranDarcalus »

Awesome!! Looking forward to diving into it. Esp since in my new campaign, I will be using Ezmerelda & Laurie.
FiranDarcalus
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by FiranDarcalus »

Just skimmed through it quickly. Very nice!! I really like that you provide a template for the characters if you want them to be higher leveled. It's a nice touch.

One minor thing, and I suppose this isn't really your fault but more a conflict of the 'new' Ravenloft. Ezmerelda is part of the Radanavich Clan & was alive when Van Richten had his awful moment with Erasmus being stolen & VR killing the tribe. However, if you are setting the campaign as approx 760 BC, would this not make her extremely old? Probably dead in fact?

Any suggestions on how to make Ezmerelda fit into a more canonical Ravenloft world where VR takes up the monster hunter mantle in the early 700's?

Otherwise, I really like the set up. Really like the inclusion of Johann Severin. I always found his story for some reason to be quite...amusing (who wouldn't have the hots for Lady Ivana). Great work!!
Jester of the FoS

FiranDarcalus wrote:One minor thing, and I suppose this isn't really your fault but more a conflict of the 'new' Ravenloft. Ezmerelda is part of the Radanavich Clan & was alive when Van Richten had his awful moment with Erasmus being stolen & VR killing the tribe. However, if you are setting the campaign as approx 760 BC, would this not make her extremely old? Probably dead in fact?

Any suggestions on how to make Ezmerelda fit into a more canonical Ravenloft world where VR takes up the monster hunter mantle in the early 700's?
I'm leaving that to DMs. I imagine most people would be using her in Curse of Strahd can do so without issue.

Those using her in the "present" can just have her be 55-ish in 760, and somewhat experienced. Or pull a Gondegal and have her moved forward in time through the Mists.
Mischief
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mischief »

FiranDarcalus wrote:One minor thing, and I suppose this isn't really your fault but more a conflict of the 'new' Ravenloft. Ezmerelda is part of the Radanavich Clan & was alive when Van Richten had his awful moment with Erasmus being stolen & VR killing the tribe. However, if you are setting the campaign as approx 760 BC, would this not make her extremely old? Probably dead in fact?

CoS takes place in BC 735 (p.26), the year VR publishes his Guide to the Vampire, and it's the Black Box year I believe. CoS VR is about the age he ought to be, old-canonically (~64?).
Ezmerelda is only something like 11-17 years older than S-, depending on how old she was as a child when VR slaughtered the tribe with Az's borrowed zombie army. In 760, she's probably 58-65ish? I personally think setting Ezmerelda to be born in BC 700, which makes her 6 when the kidnapping happened, is reasonable and easy. Her CoS statblock lore says she met up with VR when she was 17 and worked with him another 2, all that after spending 2 years monster hunting on her own before. Those dates, if you use my 700, are: 715 E d'A adventuring, 717 E d'A & VR join forces, and 719 E d'A & VR part ways.
Pacal of Palenque
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Pacal of Palenque »

I love the 5E content so far. I bought the 4 books and left a review for each of them. Any idea when you might get around to adding the Living Brain?
Jester of the FoS

Pacal of Palenque wrote:I love the 5E content so far. I bought the 4 books and left a review for each of them. Any idea when you might get around to adding the Living Brain?
He's in Who's Doomed.

Also thanks so much for the reviews!
Pacal of Palenque
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Pacal of Palenque »

Thanks! Not sure how I missed him under Rudolph Von Aubrecker.
Jester of the FoS

UPDATED!

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/321149 ... rem=369234

Because of decent sales, I added nine new darklords from pocket domains, including all six members of the Nightmare Court.

And because some fans of van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft have likely been buying the book, I wanted to give them their money's worth and added four darklords from that book!
Included in each new darklord is a brief paragraph on how you could add that domain and darklord into classic Ravenloft.
FiranDarcalus
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by FiranDarcalus »

Liked the connection of the 2 Lamordia's....nice little funhouse mirror kinda concept. I chuckled at the fact that Dominic's Dementlieu is feeding Saidra's....very amusing.

I also noticed there was an update a couple of weeks ago for Heroes of the Mists. Was there anything new you added or just a general update?
Jester of the FoS

Decided just to add my maps of the Core as a separate download. For people interested in maps not of the islands