New DMsGuild Product: Whos Doomed - The Lords of Ravenloft

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy

New DMsGuild Product: Whos Doomed - The Lords of Ravenloft

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Selfishly trying to give this more of a signal boost, because I put a lot of time into it and it's the kind of setting specific content I wish we'd see more of on the Guild. (And, honestly, because I've been laid off for three months now due to Covid, and could use the money.)

Plus, if it sells well, not only might it encourage similar content, but I can justify updating the document with more darklords. And I really want to do a 5e version of the Living Brain.

Who's Doomed: The Lords of Ravenloft

Have you played Curse of Strahd and want to face another powerful lord in the Demiplane of Dread? Are you a fan of the Ravenloft Campaign Setting and long to see the return of an old favourite? Do you just want a more powerful banshee, ghost pirate, lich, or even necromancer for your game?

If so, then this is the book for you!

Inside this product are 5th Edition stat blocks for the twenty-three darklords who rule the domains of the Core, along with the ten darklords who rule the seas and islands within and two important NPCs who rule their lands but aren't darklords.

Featured darklords include:
  • Azalin Rex, the once and current ruler of Darkon.
  • Lord Soth, the former darklord of Sithicus, and his replacement Inza.
  • The flesh golem Adam and his creator Victor Mordenheim.
  • Gabrielle Aderre and her treacherous son, Malocchio.
  • The misanthropic necromancer, Meredoth
  • And Strahd, who has been boosted in power level to be closer to his presentation in the campaign setting
Furthermore, a half-dozen darklords in this product have even been given Mythic traits and actions, as introduced in Mythic Odysseys of Theros! Surprise your players with a mythic Strahd and watch their blood drain.

While this product doesn't feature the lords of any clusters or Islands of Terror, if it sells well enough I'll update those as well and add them to this product at no additional cost!

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/321149 ... _id=369234
Mischief
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: New DMsGuild Product: Whos Doomed - The Lords of Ravenlo

Post by Mischief »

Purchased! I'll have to take my time to review it though.
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

Purchased and read; very nice, thought, while it has all the flavours it as also all those which in my hopinion are the flaws of classical Ravenloft Darklords (Patchwork world, lame curses, underdeveloped characters) but that is none of your fault, as you simply updated it to 5th ed. All in all, great work.
Jester of the FoS

Updated with eleven new darklords for the major clusters along with a new NPC in the Core.
brothersale
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brothersale »

Interesting, just the burning peaks and frozen wastes from the offical domains left from clusters and then on to the islands and pockets.

Do you plan on including any fan made domain updates, if you can obtain permission?
All great movements require a few martyrs... -Moebius (soulreaver 2)
Mischief
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mischief »

Jester of the FoS wrote:Updated with eleven new darklords for the major clusters along with a new NPC in the Core.
Oh no, just when I was halfway through putting the original set of Darklords through the CR checker so I could give detailed and informed feedback (looking good by the way).
Jester of the FoS

brothersale wrote:Interesting, just the burning peaks and frozen wastes from the offical domains left from clusters and then on to the islands and pockets.
I skipped the Burning Peaks because Kas and Vecna are more Greyhawk than Ravenloft, and I'm already pushing using other setting IP by including Soth.

And, honestly, I had forgotten about the Frozen Reaches, as I tend to think of Vorostokov as an Island rather than a Cluster. Mostly because Sanguinia is so forgettable, and we know so little.
I guess I had better think about working those in... :/
brothersale wrote:Do you plan on including any fan made domain updates, if you can obtain permission?
I have enough work to do with just the Islands. And it gets trickier to update just the lords and not the lands.
Mischief wrote:
Jester of the FoS wrote:Updated with eleven new darklords for the major clusters along with a new NPC in the Core.
Oh no, just when I was halfway through putting the original set of Darklords through the CR checker so I could give detailed and informed feedback (looking good by the way).
CR is funky and sometimes hard to get just right. Especially when so many of the Monster Manual critters are "off".
Hopefully I'm not off in too many places.
kourkenko
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by kourkenko »

I understand why you skipped the burning peaks. The thing that every DM should take in consideration with this two characters is a simple fact: they're so powerful they can put all Ravenloft into a never ending war. Azalin is coming from Greyhawk... When a god of secret come and tell you "fight for me and you'll be free, i'll give you the secrets you want". What azalin will do ?

it"s why they should be isolated but they're so powerful, it's simply impossible. To make a comparison, Vecna is for Greyhawk what Morgoth is for the middle earth. An unstopable evil.
For an example, Kas is a level 28 fighter, patriarch vampire armed with a whole army at its disposal.
The only point i disagree is "they're too greyhawk". Not anymore, Vecna is a main god in the fifth edition and its two artifacts are presented.
Personal note: not the sword of Kas, i find great they respected the canon about this weapon.

I'll buy your book when i'll have time to read it. It's always great to have Ravenloft fan materials at disposal and i know how long it is to make stats blocks for high level characters.
brothersale
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brothersale »

I could be wrong but i don't think Vecna was known even as a demigod at the time Azalin entered the Mists. At the time I belive he was known as a powerful lich/wizard who died in an explosion of magic, but he did not become known as a demigod until the events of Vecna Lives! (a greyhawk adventure).

As such i think Azalin would have a certain distain for Vecna. Due to Azalin's own arrogance, he would focus on the point that Vecna's plan backfired and Vecna lucked out becoming a demigod (failing to see the similar nature of his own plans), rather than offer deference to Vecna.
All great movements require a few martyrs... -Moebius (soulreaver 2)
Mischief
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mischief »

brothersale wrote:I could be wrong but i don't think Vecna was known even as a demigod at the time Azalin entered the Mists. At the time I belive he was known as a powerful lich/wizard who died in an explosion of magic, but he did not become known as a demigod until the events of Vecna Lives! (a greyhawk adventure).

As such i think Azalin would have a certain distain for Vecna. Due to Azalin's own arrogance, he would focus on the point that Vecna's plan backfired and Vecna lucked out becoming a demigod (failing to see the similar nature of his own plans), rather than offer deference to Vecna.
The DnD timeline is weird. I was trying to figure out Mordenkainen relative to Strahd and found out Azalin is older than Mordenkainen by ~270 years. Faerun 1360 DR is around Greyhawk 581 CY which is 732 BC Ravenloft reckoning. AZ was born 1210 DR/ 231 CY/ 382 BC (which makes him 368/369ish when he autodetonated). Strahd was born 1127 DR/ 148 CY/ 299 BC. Greyhawk wasn't a castle until Azalin was a lich. Azalin would probably be peeved to hear his world was named after some brandnew castle out west. Azalin was playing with Hyskosa when the Spellplague happened. Strahd is only a couple decades younger than Szass Tam!

I'm not quite sure how to align Krynn's timeline, but that might be interesting.

5e twists the timeline a bit. Mordenkainen was still suffering from madness in 1491 DR after Strahd sent him over a cliff, which was sometime after 735 BC which is when CoS took place. For ease I going to assume the years line up, but that's probably not true. In 5e, Strahd was born 306 BC which is ~1062 DR. So 5e makes Strahd ~65 years older than pre-5e.

So by pre and 5e standards, living, breathing Szass Tam and living, breathing Strahd were contemporaries with Strahd either 23 years Tam's junior (pre-5e) or maybe 42 minimum to 50ish years his senior (5e).

Now there's some interesting plot options!
DustBunny
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DustBunny »

Mischief wrote:I'm not quite sure how to align Krynn's timeline, but that might be interesting.
A D&D campaign worlds calender converter is here :gabrielle:

If Strahd was born in 306 BC time, Krynn was at 63 PC and getting into the lovely days when the Kingpriest and the priesthood were becoming even more rabidly theocratic.
Someone sent me a postcard picture of the earth. On the back they had written, "Wish you were here."
Mischief
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mischief »

DustBunny wrote:
Mischief wrote:I'm not quite sure how to align Krynn's timeline, but that might be interesting.
A D&D campaign worlds calender converter is here :gabrielle:

If Strahd was born in 306 BC time, Krynn was at 63 PC and getting into the lovely days when the Kingpriest and the priesthood were becoming even more rabidly theocratic.
Interesting, I was using a meeting of crossplanar wizards someone random netizen mentioned that I already can't find again as a reference for the CY to DR conversion, and Azalin's entry as the CY to BC conversion (391 CY = 542 BC), so my reckoning turns out different by 11 years (As in Az would go back in time by 11 when he entered Ravenloft.) The calculator had good reasons why my approximations weren't as good in the references.

Using that calculator, assuming Krynn PC-AC is like BC-AD, Strahd and Soth are living contemporaries (299 BC = -71 AC) - Strahd became a general and the Tergs invaded Barovia when Soth was born. If you go by 5e, then Strahd and Soth are only fourteen years apart (BC to AC direct)

If you go by 1491 DR ≈ 735 BC and assume Ravenloft's timelime has been shifted while leaving the others fixed...
Strahd was born 306 BC, 282 CY Greyhawk, 76 AC Dragonlance, 1062 DR Forgotten Realms. Not too much was going on in Greyhawk, but Vampire of the Mists was only ten years later DR time.
Azalin's entry date of 542 BC is 518 CY in Greyhawk and 1298 DR, so Azalin was born 358 CY / 1138 DR / 152 AC in 5e, so his adulthood would coincide with Castle Greyhawk's rise, and the year before Szass Tam became a lich.

I feel bad derailing the thread, but I think the logic behind the 5e shift is that although I6 was in 528 BC, CoS (which is I6 with sidedishes) is moved up to the Black Box year.

To try to bring the thread back around to topic, for those of you who think Strahd ought to be a better wizard in 5e, my explanation is that Strahd was slain by Mordenkainen, but came back by the grace of the Powers and his curse which slapped him with a power cut. Thus Strahd was soft when the adventurers came and clearly a bit too cocky. I assume he is even squishier after CoS since he canonically comes back again if the adventurers kill him. He must have learned his lesson and holds off Ezmerelda who stuck around to stake him for good.
Vampire Hunters. If he is still alive, Rudolph van Richten leaves Barovia to live out his remaining days in solitude. His protege, Ezmerelda d'Avenir, isn't convinced that Strahd is truly dead. She also knows that there are other evils in Barovia to be conquered, so she elects to remain in the valley.
... Upon his death, Strahd's vampire spawn are freed from his control, and each seeks a new destiny.
Strahd's Return. Ezmerelda's suspicion proves justified. Strahd's destruction is temporary, for his curse can't so easily be ended. The ancient Dark Powers with which Strahd forged his pact cause the vampire to re-form after a period of months... When Strahd is reborn, the mists surround the land of Barovia once more, ... Strahd remembers the defeat dealt to him and begins plotting his revenge. After the mists reappear, Madam Eva and her Vistani come back to the valley, the beasts of the land once more fall under Strahd's spell, and the burgomasters fortify their settlements, hoping against all hope that someone can save them from Strahd again.
So in 5e, if you want to nerf a Darklord, come up with an excuse why they died recently in a way they couldn't recover from with their own talent. As an example, Azalin might still be vulnerable and missing spells after the Requiem, so maybe some Darklords might try to take advantage of that.
Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Five »

Mischief wrote:
Vampire Hunters. If he is still alive, Rudolph van Richten leaves Barovia to live out his remaining days in solitude. His protege, Ezmerelda d'Avenir, isn't convinced that Strahd is truly dead. She also knows that there are other evils in Barovia to be conquered, so she elects to remain in the valley.
... Upon his death, Strahd's vampire spawn are freed from his control, and each seeks a new destiny.
Strahd's Return. Ezmerelda's suspicion proves justified. Strahd's destruction is temporary, for his curse can't so easily be ended. The ancient Dark Powers with which Strahd forged his pact cause the vampire to re-form after a period of months... When Strahd is reborn, the mists surround the land of Barovia once more, ... Strahd remembers the defeat dealt to him and begins plotting his revenge. After the mists reappear, Madam Eva and her Vistani come back to the valley, the beasts of the land once more fall under Strahd's spell, and the burgomasters fortify their settlements, hoping against all hope that someone can save them from Strahd again.
So in 5e, if you want to nerf a Darklord, come up with an excuse why they died recently in a way they couldn't recover from with their own talent. As an example, Azalin might still be vulnerable and missing spells after the Requiem, so maybe some Darklords might try to take advantage of that.
I think that would be a great one trick pony to entertain your players (especially if you only plan to run/rerun a module or homebrew adventure), but if used too often or if you weld that concept into the setting itself then it will eventually accomplish nothing but a table eyeroll. Having the players think their PC's battle against Evil is futile and ensuring their battle is futile are obviously two entirely different things. I wouldn't last long watching a tv show or reading a book series that would use such a tactic, so I certainly wouldn't expect others to think otherwise.

Like I said, great one-off though. Doubly-so if the vanquished Dark Lords return after the campaign ends and the nature of Ravenloft is revealed (a sort of PC-centred reality with the DLs being representations of or challenges for aspects of individual personalities, or something along those lines).

Jester: I don't know if you've been asked already but do you have any plans on updating A Guide to Dreamwalking to 5E?
"A very piteous thing it was to see such a quantity of dead bodies, and such an outpouring of blood - that is, if they had not been enemies of the Christian faith."

- Jean Pierre Sarrasin, "The Memoirs of the Lord of Joinville"
parnas
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by parnas »

How about a Patreon, to, maybe, create more content? I understand, that Kickstarter is tricky, because of the whole rights issue, but Patreon should be fine, right?
Jester of the FoS

Mischief wrote:To try to bring the thread back around to topic, for those of you who think Strahd ought to be a better wizard in 5e, my explanation is that Strahd was slain by Mordenkainen, but came back by the grace of the Powers and his curse which slapped him with a power cut. Thus Strahd was soft when the adventurers came and clearly a bit too cocky. I assume he is even squishier after CoS since he canonically comes back again if the adventurers kill him. He must have learned his lesson and holds off Ezmerelda who stuck around to stake him for good.
I would have liked a tougher Strahd in Curse of Strahd but also accept it was a short 1-10-ish adventure, so having him be a 17th level wizard would be overkill.

Really, I'd just liked him to have more hit points.
Five wrote:Jester: I don't know if you've been asked already but do you have any plans on updating A Guide to Dreamwalking to 5E?
That would be an interesting product to look at updating, albeit tricky to make balanced.

I know this exists though:
https://www.dmsguild.com/product/273492 ... mare-Court
parnas wrote:How about a Patreon, to, maybe, create more content? I understand, that Kickstarter is tricky, because of the whole rights issue, but Patreon should be fine, right?
For D&D content you can do either. And small people like me could be better served with Patreon.
But both are out of the question for Ravenloft, as those rights are 100% held by WotC.