Curse of Strahd Boxed Set

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Curse of Strahd Boxed Set

Post by Jester of the FoS »

https://www.ign.com/articles/dnd-curse- ... l-unboxing

The set retails for $99.99USD, comes in a coffin-shaped box with Ravenloft-inspired etchings and contains...

224-page softcover printing of the most up-to-date edition of Curse of Strahd, complete with all errata published since 2016.
20-page Creatures of Horror booklet, serving as an easily-accessible compendium for Strahd-specific monsters.
A double-sided poster map featuring the realm of Barovia on one side and a detailed plan of Castle Ravenloft on the other.
A new foil-stamped version of Gale Force Nine's Tarokka deck to draw the Fortunes of Ravenloft from.
8-page Tarokka Deck booklet for reference when using the deck
Physical handouts for DMs to provide their players.
12 illustrated postcards "from" Barovia for DMs to use when inviting players to their game.
Dungeon Master's screen with helpful information for running adventures in this gothic horror setting featuring postcard illustrations from CoupleOfKooks.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Curse of Strahd Boxed Set

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Mixed feelings here. Of course I'd rather a new product than a repack of stuff I mostly already have. But then again, anything to keep ol' Strahd in the collective consciousness is welcome. I do like the look of the DM screen, and the player handouts are a nice touch. The postcards are cheesy, but fun. I feel they could have gone a step up on the Tarroka deck, other than just a foil stamp. Wasn't there supposed to be a deluxe version eventually? I don't think that ever came to fruition.

Also, I don't know if the giant coffin box is going to fit on my shelf!
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Jester of the FoS

With this out, there is also whispers Beadle & Grimm will do one of their big, fancy Platimum editions.
So... start saving now I guess.
Jester of the FoS

October seems to be Curse of Strahd month. Also coming is:
Legendary Edition from Beadle & Grimm
https://beadleandgrimms.com/legendary/curse-of-strahd

17 battle maps of the entirely of Castle Ravenloft, a canvas map of Barovia, 60 encounter cards, player handouts, jewellery, a DM screen, and five finger puppets.

2 sets of miniatures: Covens & Covenants and Legends of Barovia
https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/462 ... m-box-sets

Image Image

This first box set contains pre-painted miniatures of Morgantha, Bella Sunbane, Offalia Wormwiggle, The Abbot, Vasilka, Thorn, and Rose.
The second has Strahd von Zarovich, Madam Eva, Rudolph van Richten, Ezmerlda d’Avenir, Pidlwick II, Baba Lysaga, and a Mongrelfolk.
Mischief
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mischief »

The castle map art is stellar-looking from the previews.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Consider my jaw dropped.

the B&G version is steep, no doubt, but it's a thing of beauty.

I haven't spent that much on a collectible before, unless you count art commissions, but I think I need this in my life. Off to find out if the wife says, "are you nuts?" or "hurry up and buy it before it's sold out!" It could go either way.

Anyone have experience with B&G's products? This is the first I've heard of them. I see they are having a Gencon sale right now of 10% off. Is that as low as it goes? How long have they been at this? Have their products held their value or can you get them cheaper on the secondary market?

(Oh, and also, I love the miniatures... have to scoop those up too.)
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Jester of the FoS

There’s a few B&G reviews online. I tend to trust this reviewer:

http://www.thetomeshow.com/e/beadle-and ... -tome-331/
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

Jester of the FoS wrote:There’s a few B&G reviews online. I tend to trust this reviewer:

http://www.thetomeshow.com/e/beadle-and ... -tome-331/
Can you give a TL:DL? I haven't got a lot of spare time to listen.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Well, my wife, as always, is the best. :) Pre-ordered.
Of note: you'd think that with that kind of price, they could at least include shipping, but no, it's an extra $35.
Jester of the FoS

I kinda assumed shipping with be $50 or $60, so I was surprised by it just being $35.

I think we’re spoiled by Amazon and it’s free shipping. Shipping is super expensive, especially big boxes and RPG books. I often buy from semi-small game stores online and shipping can be a killer.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Jester of the FoS wrote:I kinda assumed shipping with be $50 or $60, so I was surprised by it just being $35.
Well, my address is in the US. I can't vouch for what it would be to Canada. Could be that much for all I know.
I think we’re spoiled by Amazon and it’s free shipping. Shipping is super expensive, especially big boxes and RPG books. I often buy from semi-small game stores online and shipping can be a killer.
Of course, "free shipping" is never really free. It's always coming out of what you're paying. I figure at $400 (or even $360 during this sale), there's enough of a profit margin built in to absorb U.S. shipping at least. (also, assuming they are U.S. based, which I don't know for sure). I just shipped Pandemic: Legacy from NJ to Florida as part of a trade. It was $18. So, I don't doubt that the actual shipping they are paying is $20 or 30 or more. Just seems that such a "luxury" product should have that built in these days. Most online game stores usually have a free shipping threshold at $100 or $150, and they are only middlemen.
Mischief
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mischief »

So Strahd is on this month's cover of Dragon+ with Tasha of Tasha's Hideous Laughter. The cover is this way because the topics are 1. Tasha's Cauldron of Everything which seems to be another kitchen-sink splatbook like Xanathar's and 2. Curse of Strahd Revamped which is the physical product of this topic. Revamped... really now.

The artist, Wylie Beckert, had this to say about the art.

In a nod to that conceptual book cover, Beckert has brought the character to life for a second time on our cover this issue. She wanted this second illustration to be a little less “frenzied”, even though a certain vampire lord who’s been “Revamped” also needed to make his presence felt.

“It was a chance to refine my vision for Tasha, and play with a costume change. I wanted to create a composition that includes a lot of intricate detail and patterning but incorporate it into larger, simpler silhouettes for an image that felt statelier and more iconic,” she says, revealing that Strahd’s inclusion gave her the chance to practice drawing smoke. “I liked the idea of Strahd as a looming, ghostly presence. Still intimidating, but with Tasha feeling more solid and powerful despite her smaller size. She’s definitely the hero of this illustration, and her cocky expression shows she has the upper hand.”

And here is the full article about the art.

https://dnd.dragonmag.com/2020/08/25/im ... ntent.html

They also reprinted the Jason Thompson comic about CoS if you haven't seen that yet.
Direct link in case of problems with hotlink.
Morgane
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Morgane »

I already bought Curse of Strahd twice: first when I started running it, and a second time when I found the french translation (I find it's easier to run a module when you don't have to translate as you go). I keep telling myself I'm not buying it a third time, but I really wish to know about the updated text.
Mischief
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mischief »

Morgane wrote:I already bought Curse of Strahd twice: first when I started running it, and a second time when I found the french translation (I find it's easier to run a module when you don't have to translate as you go). I keep telling myself I'm not buying it a third time, but I really wish to know about the updated text.
So, theoretically, if you were to rename "Dementlieu" because that name is so awful it causes your bile to rise, what would you suggest?

▘▘▘▘▘▘▘▘▘▘▘▘▘▘▘▘▘▘▘▘▘▘▘▘▘▘▘▘▘▘

Curse of Strahd has been checked and updated to match the 6th Printing, published 06/17/2020. The errata has been applied to all necessary areas in D&D Beyond.

Chapter 1
  • Mysterious Visitors (p. 20). In the paragraph before "The Dancing Fire," change "(CN male human spy)" to "(CN female human spy)". And delete "CN" before "male and female bandits".
Chapter 2
  • Vistani (p. 26). Replace the first three sentences with the following: "The Vistani (singular: Vistana) are wanderers, traveling about in horse-drawn, barrel-topped wagons, which they build themselves. Compared to Barovians, they are flamboyant, dressing in bright clothes and laughing often."
  • Vistani (p. 27). In the final paragraph of this section, replace the third and fourth sentences with the following: "The Vistani are quick to act when their lives or traditions are threatened and are merciless when they believe they must be."
  • Vistani Bandits (p. 32). Replace the first sentence after the boxed text with the following: "These Vistani servants of Strahd march through the Barovian wilderness, laughing and telling ghost stories."
  • Tser Pool Encampment (p. 36). In the third paragraph after the boxed text, delete both instances of "CN".
Chapter 3
  • Barovian Villagers (p. 41). Delete both instances of "LG".
Chapter 4
  • Vistani Thugs (p. 52). Change "NE male and female humans" to "NE male and female human thugs". In the rest of the paragraph, replace the two instances of "thugs" with "Vistani."
Chapter 5
  • Townsfolk (p. 96). Delete both instances of "LG".
  • N1. St. Andral's Church (p. 97). Delete “LG” both times it appears in the third paragraph after the boxed text, specifically as pertains to the Vallakian adults and children. Father Petrovich and Milivoj should both retain their alignments.
  • N2c. Taproom (p. 100). Delete "LG" in the fifth paragraph after the boxed text.
  • N3c. Dining Room (p. 106). Delete "LG" in the paragraph after the boxed text.
  • Rictavio Carnival Wagon (p. 115). In the second paragraph after the boxed text, change "hunt evil Vistani" to "hunt Strahd's Vistani servants." And delete the sentence that starts "The tiger recognizes …"
  • N9c. Vistani Tent (p. 121). In the paragraph immediately following the boxed text, replace the sentence, “Luvash is so drunk that he has disadvantage on his attack rolls and ability checks,” with the following: “Luvash is the older of the two and the brother whom the other Vistani fear most.”
  • Dealing with Luvash (p. 122). In the second paragraph, delete the word “sober.”
  • N9f. Wagon of Sleeping Vistani (p. 122). Change “intoxicated and unconscious” to “sleeping.”
  • N9h. Vistani Family Wagon (p. 123). Delete “CN” both times it appears in the paragraph after the boxed text.
  • N9g. Wagon of Gambling Vistani (p. 123). In the paragraph following the boxed text, delete the words “wine and.”
  • Victor's Workroom (p. 110). Removed cantrips—acid splash and mending—from the spellbook.
  • Kasimir's Hovel (p. 121). Removed the cantrip ray of frost from the spellbook.
Chapter 8
  • S2. Gatehouse (p. 145). Delete “LG” all three times it appears in the second paragraph after the boxed text, and again in the last paragraph before the “Burgomaster Dmitri Krezkov” heading.
  • Commoner Cottages (p. 145). Delete “LG” the two times it appears in the first paragraph.

App. A

• Haunted One (p. 209). Skills: Choose two of the options, not one. Languages: Choose two, one of which is exotic. Equipment: Also gain a set of common clothes and 1 sp.
App. D
  • Strahd von Zarovich (p. 240). In the stat block, change "Unarmed Strike (Vampire Form Only)" to "Unarmed Strike (Vampire or Wolf Form Only)," and in the unarmed strike, change "bludgeoning" to "slashing." Also change "Bite (Bat or Vampire Form Only)" to "Bite."
  • Ezmerelda d'Avenir (p. 231). In the "Ezmerelda's Secret" section, delete "and takes care to hide it from view."
Jester of the FoS

My boxes set just arrived and it is BIG. You look at the images in the previews and think, "oh, it can't me that much larger than the hard cover" but it is. Because the softcover is pretty much the same size as a regular book, and there's a whole deck of cards above that.

Here's the box (without the band) beside the original hardcover adventure and a Funko Pop for scale.

The they didn't skimp on the Tarokka cards either. They're not a different ratio like Tarot cards (or the 3e deck) but they're much larger than other playing cards and the box has a nice lid and not a folding tab.

Here they are beside the previous deck.