Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Chapter 18 The Door in the Fog

Post by ewancummins »

KATRINA

VIEW CONTENT:
Kat sleeps as best she may...

"Get up. We need to move.''

Sergor stands nearby with a trickle of green light flowing from between his fingers.

"Take your soiled clothes and bundle them into the bucket with a building stone from the next room. We'll go through the tunnel, dump the load in the river. Can't leave anything behind that shows we were here. Better wear my spare clothes unless you fancy freezing your arse off. It's colder outside."
It's pretty cold inside, right now.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

ALAIN AND RAEN

Have been busy with researching/investigating the magical items the party recovered from the dragon's hoard.

Alain has found a source of materials for the magic cloaks he wishes to craft.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

VIEW CONTENT:
Blinks for a moment, waking from a sleep she didn't really expect to manage, then swiftly unwraps her pillow and dresses herself in the results, shirt, breeches, tunic and a heavy belt. She settles the dagger and sap somewhere easily accessible but hidden, and hangs the sack from her belt at the back, under the cloak. She lifts her old clothes into the bucket with her dagger and adds a stone, then hands the blanket and any spare clothes back and nods.

"Where are we going?"

She wraps the cloak close around her and looks around, speaking quietly and listening hard
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

VIEW CONTENT:
"After the river, to Kuto's well. Then , if it seems safe, to your party. I mean to get you back to them before highsun . Where are they boarded? "

kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

VIEW CONTENT:
Kat tells him the name of the inn with no hesitation. She's too far down the trusting him route to turn back now, she then pads after him, not forgetting to grab a stone from the room next door. She heads down into the tunnel after him, wasting no further time with questions.

After all, having learnt the name of their destination, she's no wiser than before!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

kintire wrote:
VIEW CONTENT:
Kat tells him the name of the inn with no hesitation. She's too far down the trusting him route to turn back now, she then pads after him, not forgetting to grab a stone from the room next door. She heads down into the tunnel after him, wasting no further time with questions.

After all, having learnt the name of their destination, she's no wiser than before!
VIEW CONTENT:
Sergor and Kat swiftly clear the derelict house of evidence.

The sewer is not particularly foul. It seems to be an old, unused storm drain. Predawn light glimmers at the far end.

Dump the soiled clothes in the cold dark water, then a hike uphill, through town...

Within sight of Kuto's Well, a stone watering hole in the older and shabbier part of the city, Sergor leaves Kat in an alley mouth while he makes his way to the well in the square.

Servants have gathered there to draw water at dawn.

Sergor briefly converses with two boys , his back turned to Kat.

Then he returns, but not before stopping at a stall to buy something in a basket.

Striding into the alley he hands the container to Kat.

"Breakfast."

He eats unhurriedly , munching a day roll and drinking milk from a cheap wooden cup.

" There's enough for you. Eat up. "
After the meal, Sergor leads Kat by a roundabout way to her inn, occasionally pausing to peer in a shop window or pet a stray dog or cat.

He takes her round the back.

In the kitchen, she finds servants making breakfast and Alwina talking with a visibly pregnant maid.

Kat hasn't gone far when she hears a baby crying. Klokulf enters with the infant the party rescued from the dragon.
The priest hands the babe to his concubine and turns away. He walks right by Kat...

And then turns around and looks again.
Clearly he has recognized her.

Sergor says " Young lady was set upon by robbers in the twilight. I helped her out. Name's Sergor. I am not one to harp on such advice , but it is safer to meet your friends for a night out than to go alone in Phlan."

He regards Kat with a worried avuncular expression.

" You'll excuse me if I just fade away now. Got business of my own."

kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Kat tries to look confident and in control of the situation, but it is a bit of a strain, since she is dishevelled, dirty, barefoot and dressed in lower class men's clothes very much too large for her. She nevertheless smiles brightly as she nods at Sergor.

"I'm much obliged for your help, kind sir, and I do hope we meet again!"

She then nods pleasantly at Klokulf and Alwina. If they don't have too much conversation for her she'll slip away for a bath and a rest.
Wolfglide of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Wolfglide of the Fraternity »

"Yes, thank you for bringing her back safely," Klokulf says. "Perhaps we shall see you about. Soon, I hope."

He turns to Kat. "Are you alright? Were you injured by the scoundrels?"
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Kat smiles at him, apparently genuinely grateful for his concern.

"I'm mostly fine. bumps and bruises, a skinned knee nothing more."

She pauses long enough for Sergor to leave as if not wanting to involve him in the next part.

"Um, there may be some... ongoing issues though. I think I got on the wrong side of some people. We're leaving town pretty soon, right?"
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Kat missed the message. But Master Cadorna sent word that the ship for Harrowdale and Raven's Bluff sails tomorrow morning .

Wolfglide of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Wolfglide of the Fraternity »

kintire wrote:"Um, there may be some... ongoing issues though. I think I got on the wrong side of some people. We're leaving town pretty soon, right?"
Klokulf replies, "Yes. Just lay low until the morning, and we will be off."
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Kat nods

"Good. I'll head up to my room. Best if I stay quiet in there today. I could use a bit of rest and recovery anyway!"

She pauses for a moment to see if there is anything else, her eyes already flicking to the stairs
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Kat has a chance to get some much-needed rest.

The others go about business as usual, researching magic, scouring records for information about Raven's Bluff and a possible way home, gathering magical materials, practicing arms, or just relaxing.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Klokulf makes inquiries about selling off bulkier items, converting to gemstones and high value coins.
At the same time, he investigates purchases of arcane supplies for Alain's item creation projects. Trade in kind may save money.
If the party is to sell/makes trades and leave town tomorrow morning, it must get done today/tonight.
This business takes most of Klokulf’s day, but the priest secures an afterhours meeting and delivery of goods with a dealer's factor at a tavern and gaming house in the Textiles Quarter, a place called the Happy Halfling.

END OF CHAPTER