Return of Paridon countryside?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
tomokaicho
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Return of Paridon countryside?

Post by tomokaicho »

How can we make this happen?

The City of Paridon should be rejoined with the countryside. How could this take place? What strange dissonances might there be? Throw in some ideas/dread possibilities.

Dread possibility: The countryside has returned in the exact same state as when it disappeared. Even though years have passed, no one has aged, and no one in the countryside recognizes that any time has passed. Elderly parents are reunited with children, or vice versa with parents reunited with children that are now adults. Parliamentarians returning from the countryside to the city cause an uproar when they attempt to resume their seats in parliament.

For example. Have at it.
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Return of Paridon countryside?

Post by Mistmaster »

I play Paridon as a city of Zherisia so I always had a countryside.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Mistmaster wrote:I play Paridon as a city of Zherisia so I always had a countryside.

Same.

It works fine with a countryside and some villages and towns. The feel remains claustrophobic enough and the food production remains insufficient to feed a city of Paridon's size, creating risk of starvation and malnutrition for the urban poor.
Shrinking the domain shrank possibilities without improving the domain, IMO.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

But if I were going to have the countryside vanish and return, maybe Red Jack's many Paridonian victims seem to have returned to life in the outlying villages and farms, with no memory of having been murdered.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

In my interpretation of the Core, I have merged the islands of terror and most pocket domains into the Core as to make one larger setting where most places can be reached more easily (at least somewhat conventionally). Paridon has been placed at the juncture of Richemulot, Borca, and Mordent. The Musarde River connects at the Narbonel River (I think that is the name). The city limits are the domain of Paridon's boundry and a loose alliance evolved from it: The Paridon Confederacy. In exchange for technologies and access to higher learning centers, the people of Paridon get access to trade (especially food and wood). The reality is the alliance is little more than what is on paper and the respective governments don't really mingle in any way.

Mordent has little to do with it all as the city is on the far side of the moors and no real agreements have come of it. The fact that the city straddles the Musarde creates more tension for those who do not want to pay more for passage down or up the river. Also, being made the capital city of this 'confederacy' has potentially put a bulls eye on the city if Falkovnia comes to attack, taking the threat away from the neighboring areas more populated areas. To be clear, the site the city is on now is not the one they left years before. This is a foreign space with a foreign language and foreign customs.
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk
Garudos Celestar
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Garudos Celestar »

One option could be to have Farelle join the Zherisian cluster. After all, based on Ryan Naylor's "The Jackal Who Would Not Be a Coward" from the Book of Sacrifices, part of Jack Karn's curse is to watch his wildness be overtaken by cultivation and civilization, and joining with (and subsequently having a mass migration from) Paridon would certainly push toward that outcome.
[i]"I too have begun to wonder about the legendary wisdom of our guardian angel and his pet rock."
~ Evee Beiderbecke[/i]