Lost Trails: Chapter 12 Phlan

Online roleplaying at the Café
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Lost Trails: Chapter 12 Phlan

Post by ewancummins »

alhoon wrote:"I have the spells required but not ready neither I have access to the components." Then he turned to Kat. "I didn't mean draw a card right here, I offered to do it but it could be done outside and away of people that may be spooked by illusions."
Master Cadorna raises an eyebrow.
"I'm not frightened by illusions."
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Raen turned to the merchant, with an apologetic frown. "Pardon my words Master Cadorna, I didn't mean you. I should perhaps have been clearer: I volunteer to try this magical item but not in an establishment like this but in the open air. However, a back alley inside this hospitable city wouldn't do for such things as other people and bystanders may be frightened by illusions.

However, since there is the offer of the component required to identify this item properly - which I can do after preparing the spells - there is no need for experimentation. "
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

alhoon wrote:Raen turned to the merchant, with an apologetic frown. "Pardon my words Master Cadorna, I didn't mean you. I should perhaps have been clearer: I volunteer to try this magical item but not in an establishment like this but in the open air. However, a back alley inside this hospitable city wouldn't do for such things as other people and bystanders may be frightened by illusions.

However, since there is the offer of the component required to identify this item properly - which I can do after preparing the spells - there is no need for experimentation. "

"Perhaps a courtyard in a secure area? Or a quiet spot in the nearby countryside? We can identify the item tomorrow morning."
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Bennedict drums his fingers once again, fighting to keep the impatience from his face. "Yes. In the meantime, I would appreciate an opportunity to at least observe the orb, that I might be certain you possess it and that it matches what I have heard."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:Bennedict drums his fingers once again, fighting to keep the impatience from his face. "Yes. In the meantime, I would appreciate an opportunity to at least observe the orb, that I might be certain you possess it and that it matches what I have heard."
Cadorna sends the servant off to fetch his crystal ball.

The master-merchant proceeds with questions about Harrowdale: what exactly happened there with monsters, and what sort of goods and services would help the dale's capital city get back on its feet. He draws out as much information as the party seems willing to divulge, not so much about them as about the situation in the south. He seems quite happy to listen to stories of the group's adventures.

The better part of an hour later, four swordsmen in mail shirts enter the room, each man with one hand on a chain linked to a sturdy coffer that hangs amid the quartet.
The men lift the coffer onto the table, unhook the chains, and move back a few inches.
Their hands remain near their sword-hilts.
One casts a nervous glance at the reinforced coffer as Master Cadorna takes a steel key from inside his coat and works the lock.

The merchant opens the coffer, the lid swinging up and away from his face as he looks down into the interior.
Rainbow lights dance across his face, cast from something inside.

''You may approach, scholar.''
He looks up at Benn, his eyes shining in the eerie light from the opened strongbox.

When Benn gets up and comes around the table, he sees the smooth curved surface of a crystal ball, the rosy-pink, translucent spheroid sunk deep in crushed red velvet liner. The Orb is the size of a child's skull; not so big as the container would suggest, but the amply-padded box walls and lid look to be over an inch in thickness.

Cadorna lifts the Orb out as gently as if he were handling a baby and cradles it to his chest with his servants spread a red velvet cloth on the table and set up a carved wooden stand, which consists of a horizontal ring with six short legs.
He sets the object into the ring, which it fits perfectly.

''All you need do is look deeply and think of what you wish to see. The Orb...''

Everyone but Benn
VIEW CONTENT:
Cadorna says,

"The Orb sometimes surprises me by showing me something other than what I was trying to learn about. I'm not sure why. Deeper thoughts of mine, asking questions I couldn't put into words and didn't know I wanted to ask? Some uncontrollable mystical property of the artifact itself? There's still much I don't know about it."

Benn looks distracted for a minute or two.

Cadorna watches in silence. He smiles at Benn as the scholar seems to come out of a fugue.

Benn
VIEW CONTENT:
Cadorna and the others fade, turning clear as glass figurines.
The merchant's voice blurs into a low droning noise and then falls silent.
Benn remains dimly aware of the room about him, but nothing seems as solid as the tiny images moving inside the pink mists of the Orb.
Two women, one cradling a baby, two small children walking along with the women in a garden.
The space between Benn and the figures diminishes until he seems to be crouched in shrubs nearby.
Recognition.
His two children.
His wife.
Dorgio's wife and infant.
Charlotte turns to Lorna.
"They'll be here soon, I'm sure of it. Don't fret so. Benn will bri..."
The mists swirl and vertigo assaults Benn.
When his vision clears and his head stops spinning, he sees a man in fine dark clothing and an ermine robe, seated on an ornate chair in a torchlit hall, sipping wine from a silver chalice. The man wears a golden circlet on his brow.
Shadows shift in the hall and the seated one turns his head toward Benn, looking right through the Lamordian.
Jonathon Matyr.

And then the mists cover Benn's eyes and he feels as if he's falling...
He blinks in the amber-hued sunlight.
Back in the conference room with Cadorna smiling placidly at him over the Orb of Savras
Last edited by ewancummins on Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Katrin takes a turn peering into the Orb.

At first, nothing but rosy fog, but then…
VIEW CONTENT:
Everyone and everything—apart from Kat and the Orb— in the room shimmers with frost.
Still.
Silent.
She shivers from the sudden bitter cold.
“It will be stolen soon.”
The strangled whisper came from behind her.
Turning quickly, Katrin sees Master Cadorna standing in his bedclothes with a long scarlet gash across his throat.
"To see every opportunity..."
Blood trickles from the neck wound as the dead man hisses words.
"My family..."

Cadorna vanishes.
Katrin stands where she had been, looking at the Orb. When she looks about , she sees Cadorna, Benn, and all the rest pretty much just as they had been before she looked into the Orb.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Klokulf examines the Orb.
VIEW CONTENT:
Pink fog that reddens and darkens as it swirls, changing to red-black rock underfoot and cloudy, firelight skies above.
He stands alone a vast, blasted plain of broken stone under a dark sky light by periodic volcanic eruptions in the distance.
A huge volcanic blast to his spills ruddy light across the landscape, throwing a long and broad shadow across the hellish desert.
Turning leftward, he sees what casts the shadow; an enormous black metal tower that stretches up so high he must strain his neck to gaze at the battlemented upper surface. The huge structure seems over a mile distant yet its sheer size gives him the feeling it could crush him without moving, engulf him with its enormous mass. Magma light burns beyond the tower.
No windows, no doors. At least, not on this side.
But as the last thunderous report of the big eruption reaches his ears, followed by a hot and stinking wind, Klokulf thinks he hears another sound amid the din, clanking and groaning as of a mighty fortress door opening…
Then he’s back in the room with the others, as if nothing had happened.

Master Cadorna lifts the Orb from its stand and replaces it in the coffer.

"I can see by your expressions that you are satisfied by the results of the demonstration."
Using his steel key, he locks the coffer.
"Now, then, I have made my offer concerning Harrowdale and stated my price. Will it be the drow of Cormanthor or the draconic threat along the River Lis? Do we have a deal?"

The armed men who brought in the coffer now approach and reattach chains to it.

kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Kat shivers.

"I am indeed, Master Cadorna, and I do feel that my particular vision needs to be shared..."

She gives as detailed a description of what she saw as she can.

"I do hope it was a vision of someone's intentions, not of a definite future... as for the deal, perhaps we could discuss briefly which option seems best?"
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

kintire wrote:Kat shivers.

"I am indeed, Master Cadorna, and I do feel that my particular vision needs to be shared..."

She gives as detailed a description of what she saw as she can.

"I do hope it was a vision of someone's intentions, not of a definite future... as for the deal, perhaps we could discuss briefly which option seems best?"

Cadorna blinks when Kat describes him standing with his neck sliced open.
He lets the key fall on the table.

"I..."

He coughs.
"Wine! Damn it. My throat."

The servant in the room hastens to bring his master a cup of wine.

Cadorna sips. Some color returns to his face.
"Ah, thank you."
He waves the serving-man away and turns his attention back to Kat.

"Did you see nothing else? No clue as to who would do such a thing? Who wants to take the Orb from me? And why kill me? I value it, but not so much as my life, my family."

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Bennedict stares long into the orb, long after his vision fades. The armed men have to gently remove it from his hands, and they note that he has been gripping it so tightly that his hands have turned white.

After it is taken and sealed away, he walks to the perimeter of the room and mops his brow with a handkerchief. "I thank you for the opportunity," he says, "I look forward to the chance to learn more."

He shrugs to the others. "I know nothing of dragons and little beyond fairy tales of dark elves. But, at least, the dragon is one opponent." He looks to master Cadorna. "Is anything known of the elves numbers? We are a small party, not an army fit to drive out a settlement of these...beings."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:Bennedict stares long into the orb, long after his vision fades. The armed men have to gently remove it from his hands, and they note that he has been gripping it so tightly that his hands have turned white.

After it is taken and sealed away, he walks to the perimeter of the room and mops his brow with a handkerchief. "I thank you for the opportunity," he says, "I look forward to the chance to learn more."

He shrugs to the others. "I know nothing of dragons and little beyond fairy tales of dark elves. But, at least, the dragon is one opponent." He looks to master Cadorna. "Is anything known of the elves numbers? We are a small party, not an army fit to drive out a settlement of these...beings."

...once satisfied that Katrin knows nothing more about the dangers foreshadowed in her vision, the master-merchant returns his attention to Benn.

''Dark elf numbers? I have no reliable numbers, even with the Orb, but it must be hundreds in surface outposts and cavern camps close to the surface. Many more in the deep-earth. They hate sunlight, you know, and dwell far below ground in the normal course of things. Their ancestors, I'm told, lived in the light as other elves, and were forced below ages ago for their terrible crimes. Cursed by the gods. They returned to the surface as the Fair Folk largely abandoned the old Elven Court territories in the Great Forest. The ones raiding forest caravans are based in the ruins of Myth Drannor. I don't expect that you can sweep the entire forest of dark elves. But if you can destroy or scatter the group at Myth Drannor, slaying as many as possible, and thus stop the attacks on traders and travelers, I will be satisfied. You'd be up against no more than one hundred, I think. I can't imagine you'd attempt to fight them all at once.''
He takes a big gulp of his wine.
''Oh, and be advised: most drow are wicked, savage, faithless creatures, but one sect in Cormanthor rejects the evil ways of the race. If you find dark elf-maids dancing unclad in moonlight, likely those are the rare good ones. Please don't harm them if you can help it. I feel completely justified in ordering bloody retribution against the others but the ones that don't attack humans aren't my enemies and I don't wish to make them such."
More wine down the hatch.
"The dragon, as you say, is one opponent. Though some vague and unconfirmed reports indicate swamp-dwelling humanoids may serve it as lookouts or spies. I haven't been able to spot the scaly worm in the Orb, but I have learned the whereabouts of its lair and developed some notion of its size. It's an adult, surely, and likely a green or a black from the scant, confused descriptions of the very few survivors. Snaky body. It attacks from the water sometimes, sometimes from the air. Expect noxious or corrosive vapors and sprays. The beast lairs in a tangled area of dead trees festooned with wrecked boats about midway down the Lis."

Wolfglide of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Wolfglide of the Fraternity »

ewancummins wrote:"The dragon, as you say, is one opponent. Though some vague and unconfirmed reports indicate swamp-dwelling humanoids may serve it as lookouts or spies. I haven't been able to spot the scaly worm in the Orb, but I have learned the whereabouts of its lair and developed some notion of its size. It's an adult, surely, and likely a green or a black from the scant, confused descriptions of the very few survivors. Snaky body. It attacks from the water sometimes, sometimes from the air. Expect noxious or corrosive vapors and sprays. The beast lairs in a tangled area of dead trees festooned with wrecked boats about midway down the Lis."
Klokulf looks pensive for a moment, then speaks his mind. "Though certainly a beast in body, a dragon can speak, can it not? I know arcane lore books often use a language ascribed to them. It occurs to me that parley with the dragon may be possible---likely unwise and difficult, but possible nonetheless. If it could be bargained with, you might gain sole safe access to the river."

He shrugs slightly. "Then again, I would not be surprised if it asked for far too much in return. Even if an accord were made, the ethics of such business are dim at best."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

"I can speak draconic. I am not sure it would be worth to have a chat with the dragon. From what I have read they are not to be trifled with and I doubt the dragon would be sincere in his or her dealings. Also, the dragon probably speaks the language spoken around here and a few more."
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

"You could attempt negotiations. But to ally with a man-eating dragon to strangle trade along a vital route..."
Master Cadorna wipes sweat from his brow.
"The ethics are dim, yes. I don't want my competitors eaten. I want to remove the block on the trade route and be the first in Phlan to know of it. And then to be able to claim credit for sending the adventurers who cleared the way, after I've dispatched a big cargo south while my rivals' vessels are yet delayed for fear of the dragon. I'd be a fool not to always look to my own interests in business affairs, but I have ethical limits. No pacts with evil monsters, no slave-trading. "

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

THE MEETING ROOM

Master Cadorna calls--somewhat shakily--for luncheon.

"Your decision about which task to undertake can wait until after you've dined and you've had time to think and discuss matters. I need to go see my wife and children, so I must leave you for a little while. My apologies. I'll return soon or else send word.''

Still looking rather pallid, the master merchant stands. He departs with all but two of his employees- a servant and a guardsman remain. Cadorna takes the Orb in its coffer with him, of course.

Alwina detaches herself from Klokulf, kissing him on the cheek as she rises, and makes her way around the room to chat with everyone in turn; free or slave, adventurer or hireling.

Two serving-maids enter with jugs of wine and water and platters of cold smoked sausage, dried fruit, and crusty bread.

Theophilus waits until Klokulf has a sip of wine and touches a morsel of food before he quickly and quietly fills a handkerchief with cold cuts, a cheese wedge, and a loaf-end.
The young slave starts for the wine jug with an uncertain look and shaky hand...

Alwina turns with an easy grace and hands Theophilus her own cup, just filled, as if she'd meant it for him.
She murmurs something to the lad which seems to calm his nerves.

Theophilus sits on the floor against the wall. He eats in silence.

Tonio sits next to Sir Clive. He says to the knight, ''A dragon! And dark elves too! I've never seen a dragon but I did see a drow. It was a few days before you redeemed my price at the slave market. In the dungeon where they kept us. I've only ever seen an elf one other time and I at first thought this one was just really dirty. But she was black as ink and had hair as white as a granny. Beautiful and sad-looking. She didn't seem so scary to me. The Zhentar...the 'brothers' brought her in, I heard. Then some soldiers came and took her away. I never saw her again."