Lost Trails: Chapter 12 Phlan

Online roleplaying at the Café
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Lost Trails: Chapter 12 Phlan

Post by ewancummins »

PHLAN

Coming in, the group skirts a large boneyard with rusting iron gates set in spiked stone fence. Crows perched on obelisks watch the group as it moves on.

After crossing a bridge over a branch of the river Stojanow, and undergoing a brief inspection at a checkpoint manned by dour-faced halberdiers and crossbowmen, the party passes through a gate set in the walls of Phan and enters the city proper.

Phlan seems busy enough, with people going about their daily business, working, chatting, walking, driving carts, but even so a somber air hangs over the street scene.

Sir Clive's puppy nearly escapes its basket as the party rides by a sausage-seller's stand.

Link-men go about dousing the night-fire torches on the buildings.
Last edited by ewancummins on Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Lost Trails: Chapter 12 Phlan

Post by ewancummins »

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/68/80/a0 ... 81c015.jpg

Parts of the city appear derelict, with tumbledown old houses, empty shops, and crumbling tenements. In some of the ruined areas men and draft horses work at removing salvaged building stones, timbers, loads of roof tiles.

But most of Phlan is inhabited, in good repair, and—outside the slum quarter—even looks prosperous.

WEST is the top of the map. The party came from that direction.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

RocEter
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by RocEter »

Clive will stay with the party to secure lodgings.
History prefers legends to men. It prefers nobility to brutality, soaring speeches to quiet deeds. History remembers the battle and forgets the blood. What ever history remembers of me if it remembers me at all, it shall only be the fraction of the truth.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

RocEter wrote:Clive will stay with the party to secure lodgings.

Sir Clive may easily obtain lodgings for the party and stable services for the horses and donkeys at The Horse's Mouth, an hostelry in the Stojanow Gate ward of the city, a short ride down the road from a big keep (which he soon learns is called Valjevo Castle).
Last edited by ewancummins on Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RocEter
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by RocEter »

Clive will secure lodging for himself and the party at The Horse's Mouth.

After he has secured lodging, he will venture into town looking for a weapon and armor smith. Tonio will accompany him to help keep on eye on the puppy.
History prefers legends to men. It prefers nobility to brutality, soaring speeches to quiet deeds. History remembers the battle and forgets the blood. What ever history remembers of me if it remembers me at all, it shall only be the fraction of the truth.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

RocEter wrote:Clive will secure lodging for himself and the party at The Horse's Mouth.

After he has secured lodging, he will venture into town looking for a weapon and armor smith. Tonio will accompany him to help keep on eye on the puppy.

Sir Clive's search takes him to Petroff's Fine Swords, a bladesmith's shop on Traitor's Gate Lane very near the city walls and close to the riverfront quarter.

When Sir Clive enters, a bell chimes.
In the large front room of the first floor of the sturdy, two-story shop, the knight finds a collection of swords, knives, spears, and other edged and pointed weapons, on display against the back wall behind a long hardwood counter which divides the room in two width-wise. A sliding iron shutter hangs in rolled-up position on the ceiling above the counter-top.
Besides the street entrance, there are two doors, both shut now, one to the right on a bare wall and one on the far wall behind the partition, left of the weapons display.

After a moment, the door in the back opens and a wiry, balding man dressed in a leather apron and shirtsleeves emerges.
The man introduces himself as Petroff and inquires as to Sir Clive's needs, gesturing as he speaks toward the weapons pegged or hung on the wall behind him.
''Good work, all of it. The best is what I made, but even the second-hand stuff I picked up in trade is reliable steel at the least. "
He offers Sir Clive some smoked sausages and hard cheese while they talk.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

KLOKULF

Mother Jehanna's Boarding House

Old City Ward of Phlan

Theophilus comes in from the street and interrupts his master's breakfast with Alwina to inform the priest,
"Master, the guards just sent word from the bridge-gate. Looks like they are here, come into town this morning. "

Wolfglide of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Wolfglide of the Fraternity »

"Most excellent," responds Klokulf. "Thank you, Theophilus. It ought not take long to finish eating and meet up with them."
He abandons his strange attempt to use his bread as a spoon and picks up a fork. Soon enough, his shaking hand proves to be more of a hindrance, and when Alwina finishes, he mumbles something about being full enough. After that, he departs to find the others.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Wolfglide wrote:"Most excellent," responds Klokulf. "Thank you, Theophilus. It ought not take long to finish eating and meet up with them."
He abandons his strange attempt to use his bread as a spoon and picks up a fork. Soon enough, his shaking hand proves to be more of a hindrance, and when Alwina finishes, he mumbles something about being full enough. After that, he departs to find the others.

The Horse's Mouth

Klokulf soon finds the party--or at least, its horses and two donkeys--at the aptly named hostelry, The Horse's Mouth.

Leaving the stables after tipping the informative stable-boy, he makes his way around front and into the not-very crowded common room, where he spots...
VIEW CONTENT:
If a player other than RocEter wishes his PC to be present, he may just post to that effect. You guys handle the reunion as you like.

RocEter
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by RocEter »

ewancummins wrote:
RocEter wrote:Clive will secure lodging for himself and the party at The Horse's Mouth.

Sir Clive's search takes him to Petroff's Fine Swords, a bladesmith's shop on Traitor's Gate Lane very near the city walls and close to the riverfront quarter.

When Sir Clive enters, a bell chimes.
In the large front room of the first floor of the sturdy, two-story shop, the knight finds a collection of swords, knives, spears, and other edged and pointed weapons, on display against the back wall behind a long hardwood counter which divides the room in two width-wise. A sliding iron shutter hangs in rolled-up position on the ceiling above the counter-top.
Besides the street entrance, there are two doors, both shut now, one to the right on a bare wall and one on the far wall behind the partition, left of the weapons display.

After a moment, the door in the back opens and a wiry, balding man dressed in a leather apron and shirtsleeves emerges.
The man introduces himself as Petroff and inquires as to Sir Clive's needs, gesturing as he speaks toward the weapons pegged or hung on the wall behind him.
''Good work, all of it. The best is what I made, but even the second-hand stuff I picked up in trade is reliable steel at the least. "
He offers Sir Clive some smoked sausages and hard cheese while they talk.
Sir Clive accepts the offer of smoked sausages and hard cheese while they discuss weapons.

"I have recently taken young man under my care. While he is a scrappy and perhaps a decent brawler of sorts, he hasn't the necessary skill to defend himself from a real threat. I aim to change that of course." He says to Petroff.

Clive goes on to explain to Petroff what his needs are and what he thinks will be suit his new charge.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

PETROFF'S FINE SWORDS

Petroff listens to everything that Sir Clive has to say and then nods slowly.
''I can get you all that, yes, even the shields."

The sword-smith shows Sir Clive and Tonio several different blades, letting Tonio try the heft and balance of each.

Tonio settles on a broadsword with a basket hilt. "I like the feel of this one, Boss."

Petroff nods.
"Let me take some measurements..." He proceeds to do just that, with knotted string stretched along first the sword and then Tonio's arms and shoulders.
"Good fit indeed. No need for changes, I think."

The smith then summons one of his apprentices and sends the lad to fetch a couple of second hand shields and some wooden wasters.

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Bennedict looks anxiously around the town. "That way is the trading house where we were told to look for the orb. Anyone care to go with me to look for it?"
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
RocEter
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by RocEter »

ewancummins wrote:PETROFF'S FINE SWORDS

The sword-smith shows Sir Clive and Tonio several different blades, letting Tonio try the heft and balance of each.

Tonio settles on a broadsword with a basket hilt. "I like the feel of this one, Boss."

Petroff nods.
"Let me take some measurements..." He proceeds to do just that, with knotted string stretched along first the sword and then Tonio's arms and shoulders.

The smith then summons one of his apprentices and sends the lad to fetch a couple of second hand shields and some wooden wasters.
Clive will purchase all the items, "Can you suggest an armorsmith in town?"
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

RocEter wrote:
ewancummins wrote:PETROFF'S FINE SWORDS

Petroff nods.

Clive will purchase all the items, "Can you suggest an armorsmith in town?"
"Yes. If you want mail or scale or plate, go to the Armor Hall up Parkside Gate.
Leather, jack, gambeson, just walk up Kuto's Well way and drop in the Tanned Hide."
The swordsmith finishes nibbling a piece of cheese.
"Oh, and if you are training the young fellow and you'll be in town a while, you might check out the old Training Hall or the House of Tempus, sir. "

kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Katrin nods at Benn

"I'll go with you!"

She has been talking pleasantly to most of her party and maybe even verging on flirting with Tonio, but she seem to have nothing to say to Clive, and she views Klokulf's return with complete indifference.