Lost Trails: Chapter 12 Phlan

Online roleplaying at the Café
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Lost Trails: Chapter 12 Phlan

Post by Adam »

Bennedict sits and pulls together some food from the table, chewing on it thoughtfully. "I still stand by my earlier argument," he says, "The dragon is dangerous, there can be no doubt. But an army in the hundreds?" He shrugs. "And even if we defeat them, there's no guarantee that dealing with the small force will open the trade route as he's thinking. That doesn't seem like a choice at all."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

The guardsman comes over to the table and fills his cup after the guests have been served. Half water, half wine, stirred with his finger.
"The good stuff..." he mumbles after taking a hearty drink. He adds more wine.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

That doesn't seem like a choice at all.
Kat nods "I agree. And whats to say this army of hundreds won't get reinforced? I mean, we'd have to wear them down over weeks with hit and fade tactics. What's to stop them just bringing in more? And when we speak of dragons, let us not think of danger! Let us think of HOARDS."

She smiles dreamily.

"dragon hoards..."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Katrin is still day-dreaming of a storybook dragon's hoard when Alwina pauses near her on the way back around the table to the wine jug.
"Those ivory things you were carrying--quite a surprise!"
The golden-haired young woman smiles.
"In the Palace, I read old books about sorcery and dragons, but I never thought I'd someday travel to a place where it was all real."
She laughs lightly.
"I'm getting another drink. Would you like me to get you one?"
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Raen is puzzled by Theophilus actions and asks "Why is Theophilus sitting alone on the floor?"
On the discussion about dragons and drow he frowns.
"I say that the dragon would be around in a few days. Would our host be alive in a few days? That's debatable considering what Katherine has seen. So while I think the dragon, if it is not just a big worm, is our best option I think we should wait to see if we can help him. If he survives the attack he may be grateful enough to give us the orb anyway or he may consider it too risky for him to keep."
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Theophilus starts at Raen's mention of his name.
He glances about but doesn't make eye contact with the wizard or anyone else.

At the same time, a worried look flickers across Alwina's face as she speaks with Katrin; nobody but Kat stands in a position to notice the brief change in expression.

Wolfglide of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Wolfglide of the Fraternity »

ewancummins wrote:Tonio sits next to Sir Clive. He says to the knight, ''A dragon! And dark elves too! I've never seen a dragon but I did see a drow. It was a few days before you redeemed my price at the slave market. In the dungeon where they kept us. I've only ever seen an elf one other time and I at first thought this one was just really dirty. But she was black as ink and had hair as white as a granny. Beautiful and sad-looking. She didn't seem so scary to me. The Zhentar...the 'brothers' brought her in, I heard. Then some soldiers came and took her away. I never saw her again."
Klokulf freezes in the middle of a sip of wine when he hears Tonio speak of the drow. After but a moment, he puts the cup down and pins his lightly trembling hand under his leg.
alhoon wrote:Raen is puzzled by Theophilus actions and asks "Why is Theophilus sitting alone on the floor?"
ewancummins wrote:Theophilus starts at Raen's mention of his name.
He glances about but doesn't make eye contact with the wizard or anyone else.
Withdrawing from his own thoughts, Klokulf addresses Theophilus. "You may be seated at the table, if you so choose."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Theophilus nods and rises. He hastens to the table and sits down near his owner.
"Thank you, Master."

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

alhoon wrote:Raen is puzzled by Theophilus actions and asks "Why is Theophilus sitting alone on the floor?"
On the discussion about dragons and drow he frowns.
"I say that the dragon would be around in a few days. Would our host be alive in a few days? That's debatable considering what Katherine has seen. So while I think the dragon, if it is not just a big worm, is our best option I think we should wait to see if we can help him. If he survives the attack he may be grateful enough to give us the orb anyway or he may consider it too risky for him to keep."
Bennedict pauses with his fork halfway to his mouth. "You're not wrong," he says, "It would certainly go a long way towards getting in his good graces."

He looks at Kat. "Any other details from your vision? No matter how small, it could be important."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Kat looks quizzically at Alwina briefly, then her eyes rest on Klokulf, as cold as ice. As Benn speaks she shrugs.

"The vision was all a bit dreamlike. It was cold...there was ice everywhere. and he was in his bedclothes... it was the same room we saw the orb in, and he was behind me. Everything else was a bit vague. Anyway, we've done our bit warning him, and getting on his good side won't do any good. Rich merchants don't do good sides. To a guy like that, gratitude is a lively expectation of future benefits. We'd be better off with the dragon."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

If the Cadorna guard in the room has any particular feelings about Kat's 'rich merchants' comment, these don't register on his grizzled face.

Wolfglide of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Wolfglide of the Fraternity »

kintire wrote:Kat looks quizzically at Alwina briefly, then her eyes rest on Klokulf, as cold as ice. As Benn speaks she shrugs.

"The vision was all a bit dreamlike. It was cold...there was ice everywhere. and he was in his bedclothes... it was the same room we saw the orb in, and he was behind me. Everything else was a bit vague. Anyway, we've done our bit warning him, and getting on his good side won't do any good. Rich merchants don't do good sides. To a guy like that, gratitude is a lively expectation of future benefits. We'd be better off with the dragon."
"I should like to accord our host more interpersonal credit than that," interjects Klokulf, accepting the glare without returning a negative expression. "Even without expectations of ingratiating ourselves, we stand to lose much should he perish while we are off to fight the wyrm. Aid for Harrowdale could be compromised, and further opportunity to examine the Orb will evaporate. I will not stand against the idea of facing the dragon---though I have my misgivings---but I do stand with Raen on the matter of securing Master Cadorna's safety."

Though not being here when it happens will shield us from some degree of suspicion, Klokulf thinks to himself.
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Kat shrugs "Been there, done that, not making that mistake again. And anyway, what could we add? He is warned, now, and he has professional guards. I bet he's using that orb to find more details about the threat right now. I don't know about you, but I've no experience in bodyguarding. I think we should leave that to the bodyguards." She glances at the guard "they seem pretty professional to me. Without the element of surprise, I'm sure they can handle it."
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

"I do have to admit," Bennedict says, "It's been some time since I was on a true monster hunt. This was more-or-less my specialty in Pont. It will be nice to do something a bit more familiar."

"As the old monster hunter taught us, the first order of business is to learn everything we can about the quarry. I'll look into academic sources. Something tells me Kat will be more effective digging into the 'word on the street.' I'd recommend sailors who would normally be plying those waters. I've always found them to be surprisingly knowledgable, so long as you take everything with the appropriate grains of salt. In the meantime, those less inclined for that sort of work can offer their services to help protect the merchant from whatever gruesome fate is coming for him. Seem like a good compromise?"
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Kat salutes Benn

"A fine plan! Lets do it!"