Quoth the Raven #25 reactions

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Quoth the Raven #25 reactions

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

Hooray, QtR is here! ^_^

I may have mentioned before that I was looking forward to more "Conferences of Victor Gagné"... and the second chapter in the gentleman's adventures did NOT disappoint! :D

Tense, well-written, and some truly eerie ideas that confirm my own opinion that gothic and eldritch horror can be used together perfectly well if they're used right. Marvelous! I'm biased to enjoy Lilliend, but Victor Gagné was my personal favourite of QtR #25.
Hell_Born
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Quoth the Raven #25 reactions

Post by Hell_Born »

This is hopefully better than making my own thread... I recognize Camille Churnstone, the Darklord of Lilliend! I know for a fact that a past netbook, either one of the Books of S or the Undead Sea Scrolls or something, featured a domain ruled by a crazed, incestuous, misandric lesbian vampire darklord, who would murder all men as soon as they performed their "duty" of fathering a daughter for her domain! But... I can't remember what sourcebook she appeared in, and I think this updated version has changed the names as part of its expansion of the region... can anyone tell me where the first iteration of this domain and darklord showed up?
"Is there any word more meaningless than 'hope'? Besides 'blarfurgsnarg,' of course."

"Seek and Locate! Locate and Destroy! Destroy and Rejoice!"
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

As the author, I can.
There's a thread on this very forum: http://fraternityofshadows.com/forum/vi ... t=Lilliend

That is the domain's - and Camille's - first appearance. I'm flattered that you remember it! ^_^
Last edited by Rock of the Fraternity on Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Compliments for the MotRD adaptation of Sweeney Todd! I see ways those pies could have caused even more mayhem; all who ate them might be in danger of rising from the grave as Hungry Dead, or gaining the Ravenous feat from VRGttWD....
Hell_Born
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Hell_Born »

Thanks, I knew I'd seen Lilliend before, and I couldn't figure out where - it was driving me batty. Much appreciated. And the idea of introducing The Silver as a way to counter Camille's list of magical options for flight, and thus let a heroic band of adventurers end her once and for all, was a great addition to the lore. I've never been a fan of the Undying Soul mechanic that plagues Ravenloft - reeks too much of metaplotting and creator's pets. Looking forward to seeing more of the Wartorn Cluster, even if I have no idea who the narrator/in-universe author is, where they came from, or why I should care about her.

Heck, or the Plague of Famine from Dragon #319, that'd definitely be appropriate to Sweeny Todd's pies.
"Is there any word more meaningless than 'hope'? Besides 'blarfurgsnarg,' of course."

Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Heh heh, Ciska (she signs her name twice as I recall) is an NPC I created for the Wartorn Gazetteers. More about her will be revealed in time... More than she'd like.

I will say this up front: she is not S.
(In fact, she dislikes her.)
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

Wow, that was a great number; my congratulations to all the authors and to the fraternity; Kudos to Tomoachiko for the Death Knight Archetype; Compliments also to Brilliantlight, and you are very wellcome pal;
I liked a lot the 50 NPC and the 100 Darklords, my thumb up for 47.
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Mistmaster wrote:100 Darklords, my thumb up for 47.
Indeed, that meta gaming darklord is fun ;)
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

But how does he suffer...?
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

Probably, he never get the story he was hoping for.
Skyrock
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Skyrock »

So this is what became of the DM of the Rings :P
Nun gut, es sei dir überlassen!
Zieh diesen Geist von seinem Urquell ab
Und führ ihn, kannst du ihn erfassen
Auf deinem Wege mit herab.
- Faust I
Hell_Born
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Hell_Born »

Don't have time to stay, but I wanted to mention this; in the article "100 Shades of Darkness", Darklord #39, Rothbart, is clearly based on the evil wizard of the same name from The Swan Princess, whilst Darklord #61, Zelig the Shrinker, is clearly based on either the B-movie villain Dr. Cyclops, the Sid & Marty Krofft mini-serial Dr. Shrinker, or both.

The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

When I read the name "the Man in the Yellow Hat" in A Hundred Shades of Dark, it forever linked this figure with the guy of the same moniker from the Curious George books.
brilliantlight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brilliantlight »

Joël of the FoS wrote:
Mistmaster wrote:100 Darklords, my thumb up for 47.
Indeed, that meta gaming darklord is fun ;)
Yeah, 47 seems the most interesting of the lot.
Wolfglide of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Wolfglide of the Fraternity »

Rock wrote:Hooray, QtR is here! ^_^

I may have mentioned before that I was looking forward to more "Conferences of Victor Gagné"... and the second chapter in the gentleman's adventures did NOT disappoint! :D

Tense, well-written, and some truly eerie ideas that confirm my own opinion that gothic and eldritch horror can be used together perfectly well if they're used right. Marvelous! I'm biased to enjoy Lilliend, but Victor Gagné was my personal favourite of QtR #25.
Thank you, I appreciate that.

I just read the opening to Lilliend, and I look forward to reading more when I get more time on my hands. The beginning sequence made me think about Roland Deschain (I am working my way through Wizard and Glass right now), then I saw the quote from Wolves of the Cala at the head of the next section. That was perfect timing.