LOST TRAILS 6: Northern Routes

Online roleplaying at the Café
Wolfglide of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: LOST TRAILS 6: Northern Routes

Post by Wolfglide of the Fraternity »

"A fair start," Klokulf responds. "I see no more animate sign of human life."

He points at the cow. "If we are dealing with plague, it is not killing cattle---not yet."
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

"Well spotted," Bennedict says. "Shall we be off?"
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

the farm

Benn, Klokulf, and Raen (accompanied by any others who wish to go) head off to investigate the farm on the outskirts of the town.

They find the farm apparently deserted, at least upon a hasty inspection, with no obvious signs of battle or fire.

Looking in the farmhouse, some household goods lie in disarray, but whether the inhabitants packed in a hurry and fled or looters have hit the farm, or something else occurred...they can't tell for sure.

The cow out in the fields looks healthy . The rope round its neck has been cut by something sharp and it has a few scratches on its sides.
It wanders over, lowing, and happily munches on any cow-friendly food the party might feed it.

The fields have been harvested but not gleaned. Some wheat stalks remain, and the vegetable gardens aren't fully picked.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Bennedict moves to the farm house, looking through it and examining it thoroughly.
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:Bennedict moves to the farm house, looking through it and examining it thoroughly.
Benn finds a trap door in the floor of the half-empty pantry.

Cautiously opening it...
VIEW CONTENT:
AAAIIIIIEEEE!

The shrieking figure leaps up and tries to shove past Benn!
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Bennedict falls over onto his rear end, scrambling to pull his crossbow up into position. "Who's there!?" he shouts, aiming the weapon.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:Bennedict falls over onto his rear end, scrambling to pull his crossbow up into position. "Who's there!?" he shouts, aiming the weapon.
The dirt-smeared boy freezes in the open doorway of the shadowy pantry, eyes wide, skinny body shaking in terror.
''Please don't kill me!''
He looks as if he might be nine or ten years old.
His clothes are patched and dirty. He clutches a paring knife in his right hand, but he's not holding it out to threaten Benn.

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Raen hearing the commotion rushes to the house. He's instantly suspicious of the little boy but this career requires risks.
"Hey kid! We're not enemies. Bennedict, please lower your weapon."
He tries to fish out some food or snack from his pockets and slowly push it towards the kid.
"Here, this is for you. We are not your enemies. "
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Wolfglide of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Wolfglide of the Fraternity »

Klokulf also hustles toward the scene. Upon seeing the child, rather than the half-imagined adversary that was expected, the priest calms himself and begins silently appraising the boy for injury or illness.
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Katrin steps swiftly into the house, then also relaxes at the sight of the boy, and allows her lips to twitch in amusement at the sight of Benn.

"What's your name? and what happened here? where is everyone?"
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

The boy cautiously accepts food from Raen.

He answers Katrin between bites,
''I'm Randal. All the folk have fled. Sickness in town and a traveler told us there's goblins in the woods.''
He looks around the pantry.
''This isn't your place? I don't want to steal. But I'm hungry and my Da is sick. He's not far from here. Can't walk anymore. Got a bad fever. I'm looking for food, medicines...''

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

SIR CLIVE
OUTSIDE

While several of his companions investigate the farm house, Sir Clive walks about the farm and the nearest section of the town outskirts, looking for clues the others might have missed…
He finds some wagon ruts, hoofmarks, and footprints in the fields and along dirt trails. But these tracks are partly washed out, perhaps by one of the recent storms the party experienced while at sea drawing near this coast, and he can’t tell much more by looking than that a good number of travelers left the city not many days ago and headed out into the countryside.
He spots a thin smear of smoke drifting from someplace within the town, the source concealed by the bulk of houses and the lay of the land.

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

"Well... there is a cow outside. Do you think the milk, or the meat, would be safe to eat Randal?"
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

IN THE FARMHOUSE

alhoon wrote:"Well... there is a cow outside. Do you think the milk, or the meat, would be safe to eat Randal?"
''Milk? Sure. But you want to kill somebody's cow and eat it?"

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

"What sickness?" Bennedict asks. "The town looked completely deserted. What happened? Is you father sick with the same thing?"