LOST TRAILS 5: Sembia

Online roleplaying at the Café
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Re: LOST TRAILS 5: Sembia

Post by alhoon »

Without mentioning he's one of the "things" that were washed out from the fog a couple of 10-day weeks ago, Raen politely refuses to pay respects to the Mists. Half the reason he wants to stay in a world where wizards irresponsibly trade spells that can wreck a city with few checks and balances is to avoid the Mists.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Kat nods, and follows the man. On observing raens hesitation she comments. "I'll make a few offerings on our group's behalf..."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

A BOAT TRIP

The fishermen welcome Kat at the pier, and show her how they go about making their simple offerings and prayers to the goddesses Leira and Selune.
Konstan hangs a bright lantern at the prow.

Then the boatmen row the three adventurers out into the moonlit waters where the river mouth empties into the bay.

But now, with the gibbous moon sailing high over banks of clouds, a strong tide takes hold of the fishing boat; the fisherman stroke to correct course, bringing the prow about to the west, aimed up the river.
The north wall of the city slowly rolls past on the left-hand side and the south-facing riverbank and the dim fields slide along off on the right-hand side.
Konstan pulls harder on the oars and his two young helpers do likewise.
The open bay falls further away to aft, its swelling tide hidden by the sea fog creeping in closer to land on an almost silent east wind.

After what seems like not many minutes rowing on the misty, dark river, a tower looms up before the boat, appearing so close and so suddenly one might almost expect to see water and muck dripping from its masonry and hear the echoes of the splash the structure would have made thrusting from underwater.
Somehow nobody in the boat saw it sooner, even with the lantern...
The fog hides the square masonry tower base, while the shattered top, thirty feet above the river, shows a jagged silhouette against the fat lemon-colored moon.

The shore and near portion of the island resolves out of the mist as Konstan adjusts the lantern panels and angle. Konstan points out a dead willow not far off.
"We'll moor her there and wait for you."
Bulls-rushes grow thick at the water edge, broom and briers on higher ground, further in.

As Benn, Raen, and Kat prepare to disembark the boat, something yowls in the night, and a similar high cry replies from near or possibly within the tower.
Sounds like cats...
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Just in case, Raen whispers a few words in draconic. A blue glow emanates from him before dissipating, protecting him with a magical armor.
"Let's see if our friends will be welcoming." Raen said.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

THE ISLE OF CATS

Raen, Benn, and Katrin slosh across a short stretch of flooded beach and push upward through light brush and onto a dune.

Beyond the mounded sand rises the partly-tumbled masonry tower.

No sign of cultists...

A shadowy form flits across the dune’s crest on the left, vanishing into a mass of deadwood. A cat? It was about the right size and shape.

Drawing near the tower, the adventurers spot an open doorway with corroded metal hinges hanging from the left side, a few splintered scraps of timber the only remnants of the missing door panel. A little moonlight filters through the broken roof of the tower, so that they can look within. Tumbled blocks, some weeds. The upward spiral of a decayed stairway.

The robed figure coalesces from the gloom of the far wall.
Softly, it calls from under the wide cowl of its robes as it steps closer,
“Ill-met by moonlight.”
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

THE JEWEL-BUYER

Selling jewels in a hurry is the sort of venture that can bring an honest man into strange company in the small hours.

Klokulf’s inquiries have brought the jewel-buyer to meet him here, in the dim-lit taproom of a tavern located across the back lane from Mother Falchett’s.

The gnome perches on its chair like a gigantic rat wrapped in a shabby yellow-brown coat. Its nose twitches as if it could sniff the value of the stones and precious metals concealed by the small box resting on the table before it. In the poor light, its eyes flare red.
“Lemme see…”

Its gnarled, brown hand shoots out and catches the coffer lid, flipping it open in one extended motion.

“Hmmmm…”
The Jewel-Buyer pulls the coffer a few inches its way and then fingers the pieces of jewelry, one by one.
It sniffs, licks, and nibbles at each piece.
Then the gnome waggles its fingers and chants a rasping charm in a language Kolkulf does not know.
A wave of amber light rises from the tabletop and swirls about the jewels.
The radiance quickly subsides.
“Very nice. Your message was true, this was worth coming to examine. I can give you a good price. Say, nine-hundred gold pieces? That can be arranged very quickly. Your message mentioned something about payment in something apart from Sembian money...
You want foreign money? Not a problem. Uncut stones? Gold covered in lead? Name it and I'll make arrangements.”

Wolfglide of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Wolfglide of the Fraternity »

ewancummins wrote:THE JEWEL-BUYER

“Very nice. Your message was true, this was worth coming to examine. I can give you a good price. Say, nine-hundred gold pieces? That can be arranged very quickly. Your message mentioned something about payment in something apart from Sembian money...
You want foreign money? Not a problem. Uncut stones? Gold covered in lead? Name it and I'll make arrangements.”
Holding back his misgivings about dealing with a non-human, Klokulf attempts to negotiate gently. "The price is not bad, though I daresay they are worth more than that. Rather than give me a lower figure, I am sure you can quote a higher price to whomever these may go to next. Your profit margin will stay intact, and I won't shortchange myself in parting with them."

He leans forward, continuing. "As for the payment, some amount of foreign coin could be prudent, but I would like the majority in goods that can be traded universally at or near face value. I want to reduce losses from coin-changers' fees as much as possible, be it through gems, bullion," he smirks, "or gold-plated horse hooves."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Wolfglide wrote:
ewancummins wrote:THE JEWEL-BUYER

Holding back his misgivings about dealing with a non-human, Klokulf attempts to negotiate gently. "The price is not bad, though I daresay they are worth more than that. Rather than give me a lower figure, I am sure you can quote a higher price to whomever these may go to next. Your profit margin will stay intact, and I won't shortchange myself in parting with them."

He leans forward, continuing. "As for the payment, some amount of foreign coin could be prudent, but I would like the majority in goods that can be traded universally at or near face value. I want to reduce losses from coin-changers' fees as much as possible, be it through gems, bullion," he smirks, "or gold-plated horse hooves."
'' I can go up to one-thousand gold pieces in foreign money and trade goods. Not more than that. But I'll sweeten it. How about I give you part of it in spices? Low weight, easy to pack into something airtight and disguise the smell. They'll sell. The fresher stuff only, I promise. You can sniff and taste yourself. I can get you some really nice green silk, too. Stitch it inside an old linen cloak. And of course, some stones, cut and uncut."

kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Katrin steps forward as the figure greets them.

"Good day to you. My name is Melissa, and we are seeking to avoid travelling to a place of mists. We were told in town that those to be found in this place had no direct knowledge of such things, but that their words could be trusted and relied on. Perhaps we could speak?
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

RENDEZVOUS AT THE RUINED LIGHTHOUSE

THE ISLE OF CATS
kintire wrote:Katrin steps forward as the figure greets them.

"Good day to you. My name is Melissa, and we are seeking to avoid travelling to a place of mists. We were told in town that those to be found in this place had no direct knowledge of such things, but that their words could be trusted and relied on. Perhaps we could speak?

''No.''

A chuckle, a long pause, then,

''I do not know how to send you back. And I would not help you return for a reward, not even the Orb of Savras.''
Last edited by ewancummins on Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Evil Genius
Evil Genius

THE JEWEL-BUYER
ewancummins wrote:'' I can go up to one-thousand gold pieces in foreign money and trade goods. Not more than that. But I'll sweeten it. How about I give you part of it in spices? Low weight, easy to pack into something airtight and disguise the smell. They'll sell. The fresher stuff only, I promise. You can sniff and taste yourself. I can get you some really nice green silk, too. Stitch it inside an old linen cloak. And of course, some stones, cut and uncut."
"I think your payment ideas are quite shrewd. We are close to an accord," says Klokulf. "However, those jewels were a gift from a good friend, and I estimate their value at twelve-hundred nobles. I feel as though I would be serving my friend an insult to trade away her goodwill for much less. Where are you willing to meet me on this?"
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Lighthouse
Raen nods when the figure names his price.
The orb of Savras for a way home. Raen rattles his brain to recall any information he may have picked about that someone.
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Wolfglide wrote:THE JEWEL-BUYER
ewancummins wrote:'' I can go up to one-thousand gold pieces in foreign money and trade goods. Not more than that. But I'll sweeten it. How about I give you part of it in spices? Low weight, easy to pack into something airtight and disguise the smell. They'll sell. The fresher stuff only, I promise. You can sniff and taste yourself. I can get you some really nice green silk, too. Stitch it inside an old linen cloak. And of course, some stones, cut and uncut."
"I think your payment ideas are quite shrewd. We are close to an accord," says Klokulf. "However, those jewels were a gift from a good friend, and I estimate their value at twelve-hundred nobles. I feel as though I would be serving my friend an insult to trade away her goodwill for much less. Where are you willing to meet me on this?"

''At one-thousand gold pieces in value."
The gnome bares its teeth.
''I can get you the full payment quick, quick! The eve of this day."

Evil Genius
Evil Genius

THE JEWEL-BUYER
ewancummins wrote:''At one-thousand gold pieces in value."
"Alright then," Klokulf says. "I will take nine-hundred gold pieces worth in spices, green silk, and stones. If you were offering to provide the linen cloak for the silk, perhaps you could also hide the stones in the soles of a pair of old boots."

"As for the remaining hundred, I would like to take it in the coinage of Zhentil Keep. Not all in gold, however---I would like a range of denominations."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Wolfglide wrote:THE JEWEL-BUYER
ewancummins wrote:''At one-thousand gold pieces in value."
"Alright then," Klokulf says. "I will take nine-hundred gold pieces worth in spices, green silk, and stones. If you were offering to provide the linen cloak for the silk, perhaps you could also hide the stones in the soles of a pair of old boots."

"As for the remaining hundred, I would like to take it in the coinage of Zhentil Keep. Not all in gold, however---I would like a range of denominations."

''Zhentish money... Yes, I can arrange that. It will have to be tomorrow morning, not this evening, but I can arrange it. Not all gold. Silver, copper, yes, variety."
The gnome sniffs the jewels again before replacing them in the coffer and closing the lid. He slides the container to Klokulf.
''Old boots, you say? Easy. I will get those for you, no extra charge."