LOST TRAILS 5: Sembia

Online roleplaying at the Café
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: LOST TRAILS 5: Sembia

Post by ewancummins »

Wolfglide wrote: Klokulf, who has been taking the time to jot down gibberish runes in one of his books, looks up. "Indeed. He has the greatest reason of all of us to return."

He rubs the last few sheets of paper between his fingers. "I will have to see if I can acquire a couple of blank books at the University." Getting pedantic, he continues, "A university is certainly a place o get answers to questions, what with it being a place of learning and research. There is a university in the Vaasi city of Kantora, but I hear that it is not the most impressive specimen on the continent."
Alwina says,
''We had many old books in the Palace. Some had pictures."
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Wolfglide of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Wolfglide of the Fraternity »

"This Palace," Klokulf asks, "does some noble family or other leader rule it?"
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Wolfglide wrote:"This Palace," Klokulf asks, "does some noble family or other leader rule it?"
''Rule? Well, I am the queen. But I think you mean telling others what to do and they all do it? It used to work like that, in the time of the Ancients. But not anymore. The others all bow to me and call me 'grace' when I put on the Jewels and the Crown for the Old Rites, but the rest of the time I'm just Alwina and I pick fruit and hunt hares and do the things the others do. Oh, but I was taught how to read the books of the Ancients. My mother showed me. Not everyone can do that."
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Katrin follows Benn to the university. staying quiet as the sages talk, but at the last remark she frowns a little

"Lady of Deception? That doesn't sound useful." She then adds hastily "Not that I have anything against deception or the deities thereof: vital defence of the weak against the powerful, right?" Then, having hopefully dodged divine displeasure she continues in a more normal tone: "but not quite what we are looking for right now. Do you know, Master Sage, of anyone who has been found here talking of worlds like ours? I mean, how many worlds can their be?"
Wolfglide of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Wolfglide of the Fraternity »

ewancummins wrote:
Wolfglide wrote:"This Palace," Klokulf asks, "does some noble family or other leader rule it?"
''Rule? Well, I am the queen. But I think you mean telling others what to do and they all do it? It used to work like that, in the time of the Ancients. But not anymore. The others all bow to me and call me 'grace' when I put on the Jewels and the Crown for the Old Rites, but the rest of the time I'm just Alwina and I pick fruit and hunt hares and do the things the others do. Oh, but I was taught how to read the books of the Ancients. My mother showed me. Not everyone can do that."
Klokulf sits absolutely still for a moment or so, then he opens his mouth, inhales, and responds, "I have never heard admissions of nobility spoken so nonchalantly. This certainly generates more questions than it resolves. In Nova Vaasa, there is strict social stratification, and members of lower social classes are generally proscribed from mingling with their superiors. I would never address Prince Othmar Bolshnik by his first name alone." He pens a few more symbols before closing and stowing his book. "I suppose we had better go to the University. On the carriage, perhaps you can elaborate on these Old Rites, the language of the Ancients, and other aspects of your world I have been remiss in learning about."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

SAGE ADVICE
kintire wrote:Katrin follows Benn to the university. staying quiet as the sages talk, but at the last remark she frowns a little

"Lady of Deception? That doesn't sound useful." She then adds hastily "Not that I have anything against deception or the deities thereof: vital defence of the weak against the powerful, right?" Then, having hopefully dodged divine displeasure she continues in a more normal tone: "but not quite what we are looking for right now. Do you know, Master Sage, of anyone who has been found here talking of worlds like ours? I mean, how many worlds can their be?"
''In theory? Infinite planes of existence may exist. That is why it is so important to find someone who knows the location of your world."
He shrugs.
"The cultists of Leira know much lore of the Ethereal Plane, beyond which lies your world. From the way Benn describes the 'Mists' I hypothesize that the Ethereal surrounds your world!
If ever you deal with the clergy of Leira, take note that they will never simply tell you the truth. Lies, half-truths, exaggerations. My last consultation with them was frustrating but ultimately fruitful. I would not recommend trusting them to actually send you back, though. Oh no! I would recommend other priests for that, no offense meant to the Lady of Mists. Just to try and obtain information.''
The sage puts away his notebook.
"As far as other world-walkers go, one hears stories; many are never confirmed and others turn out to be the ravings of lunatics. If you visit the abbey north of the city where the Chauntean sisters try to make madmen into gardeners, you can find someone from another world, I'm sure. It might be a world that exists only his cracked mind. The last credible account I had was five years ago. A man came to see me. Strange fellow with violet skin--and it wasn't stained or tattooed. I gave him advice. He left with a party of adventurers. Later, I learned he had gone through a glowing gateway in a ruin north of Baldur's Gate, and vanished. I hope he had found the way home at last."

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Wolfglide wrote:
ewancummins wrote:
Klokulf sits absolutely still for a moment or so, then he opens his mouth, inhales, and responds, "I have never heard admissions of nobility spoken so nonchalantly. This certainly generates more questions than it resolves. In Nova Vaasa, there is strict social stratification, and members of lower social classes are generally proscribed from mingling with their superiors. I would never address Prince Othmar Bolshnik by his first name alone." He pens a few more symbols before closing and stowing his book. "I suppose we had better go to the University. On the carriage, perhaps you can elaborate on these Old Rites, the language of the Ancients, and other aspects of your world I have been remiss in learning about."

Alwina smiles.
"Oh, yes, I'd like that."

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

AFTER a carriage ride , during which they discuss Alwina's royal status and the politics of Nova Vaasa, Klokulf and the young lady arrive at the University...

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Bennedict arches an eyebrow at the mention of a "lady of mists," but dismisses it just as quickly. "This does not sound much like Ezra," he mutters to himself. "Still, they may be the most likely option. I've dealt with Vistani seers often enough, and this cult seems much the same. If you would be so kind, I would appreciate directions to their temple."

He looks to the others. "Otherwise, it appears this journey to Vassa is our best bet. They are too similar to be a coincidence, in my thinking."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

THE NEXT TENDAY
RAEN
While Benn begins his search for the worshippers of Leira, Raen tries his luck with the House of Blue Flames.
From the street, the temple looks like an obelisk of green basalt, covered in baroque friezes and fitted with a great brass door.
No one stands guard over the door.
No one answers Raen’s knocking.

No one opens the door—it unlocks and swings inward, moved by some unseen force, after Raen has stood for a few minutes under the arch.
He felt a momentary tingle as if magic touched him. Scrying magic, possibly, as he does not feel any change as of an enchantment laid upon him…

Within, tall candles topped with heatless and never-failing blue flames illuminate intersecting galleries that seem too long for a building the apparent dimensions of the temple as seen from the street. Doors line the galleries. Some of the portals open into rooms and others onto black voids without floors or walls.

In the third room he checks, Raen finds an old man bent over a writing desk, backlit by three floating bright blue orbs. The man looks up.
“I am called Thelonious. Welcome to the House of Blue Flames. Please, have a seat.”
The man gestures toward a chair pushed up against the back wall.
The old wizard-priest, Thelonious, interviews Raen in a friendly manner, even offering him tea and biscuits (conjured).

After the initial questions have been dealt with, Thelonious tells Raen that the established magi of the city don’t appreciate foreign competition but that a gentleman’s code prevails among local practitioners of the Art. If Raen makes it clear that his presence is temporary, no one is likely to bother him. If he stays more than a month, he should try to join the society of arcanists, something that requires an invitation. Thelonious would be happy to help him out in that regard.

As far as getting back to his home plane, well, Thelonious says that the patriarch of the temple could effect a cross-planar translation if the proper key were obtained. There’s the rub. Getting the right key requires research into the location and nature of the destination plane, and while the magician-priest who heads the temple might be persuaded to whisk Raen off to another world out of professional courtesy, he’s not going to just drop his own work to spend what could be months or even years looking for the correct metal or alloy to construct a planar key attuned to Raen’s currently unknown home dimension.

SIR CLIVE
Sir Clive finds that the city’s book markets carry several affordably priced printed books of some interest to him.

A merchant offers the swordsman a job as night watchman at the merchant’s dockside warehouse.
Modest pay, but it will suffice to cover all the knight’s living expenses and leave some money over for purchases in the local book market.
And the warehouse has a magical light inside, so Clive can read in between walking his hourly rounds.

KATRIN
Widow Falchett has taken a liking to Katrin. The old lady offers Katrin a job as a servant, pay to be room and board.
“Just mornings, dearie. I’m starting to have a bit of trouble getting everything done in the early hours the way I used to do. I could use the help with the early cleaning, running errands, serving breakfast, all that. After highsun you can scamper off, do as you please.”

If Kat accepts she finds
VIEW CONTENT:
that the position helps her gather information. The sailors and merchants who stay in the boarding house always have time to talk with her, and they share stories of their travels and the news both local and foreign for the price of a smile.
KLOKULF
While Benn looks for the deluded adherents of Leira—no doubt another name of Mytteri—Klokulf contacts natives of Zhentil Keep, in the city on business.
The meeting doesn’t last long—just a round of drinks at a local pub. The men are mercenaries of some sort. They don’t talk much about their business but they are happy to discuss Zhentil Keep and, in hushed tones, the cult of Bane. What Klokulf learns tends to confirm his suspicion of a link between Bane and the Lawgiver. The chief difference in the cults appears to be arcane magic: no strong prejudice against it exists here, though the men do allude to some political squabbles between mages and clerics. And there's no animus against non-humans as such, but rather a belief that Bane favors humanity in the terrible struggle of life. Orks and such lowly creatures can be made to serve.
The 'eye-tyrants' the men speak of as allies of the Zhentarim--which it seems, is a shadowy group not exactly part of the open cult-- those sound like horrible monsters, quite inhuman.

The men say that Vaasa is a cold, wild country, inhabited by monsters and by the distant cousins of Zhentish folk, the Vaasi horsemen and hide-hunters. They’ve not been there, but at Zhentil Keep one could surely find men who had.
The sell-swords tell Klokulf that a smart, tough man can always get good-paying work at the Keep.

ALAIN
Alain investigates magical matters in the area. He does not find any war-mages trained as he was, but he does learn that the names of certain famous (and still-living the last he'd heard) wizards of his home-world are known here by the spells they invented. That strongly suggests some sort of link or passage between the worlds and one not too far back.
Though time might not flow at the same rate in every world…

BENN
Even provided with a lead from the sage, Ormauth, contacting the Leirans takes Benn several days and nights of clandestine meetings, messages left in blind drops, and other skullduggery.
The latest note from the Leirans reads:
‘We never gather beneath the derelict lighthouse on the Isle of Cats, and certainly will not meet you in the hour before sunrise.’
Which, given the cult’s foggy and deceptive communications, strongly suggests just the opposite.
The ink of the note fades first, and then the paper itself crinkles, curls, and decomposes into a fine gray mist.
The Isle of Cats is an island in the mouth of the Arkhen River.
Getting there would be a short journey from the city, requiring a boat.

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Bennedict returns to the party's lodging, detailing his plans to acquire a boat and meet with the cultists. Once that's completed, he'll head to the docks to look for someone to ferry him out there.
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
RocEter
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by RocEter »

Clive accepts the job, he could use the coin.
History prefers legends to men. It prefers nobility to brutality, soaring speeches to quiet deeds. History remembers the battle and forgets the blood. What ever history remembers of me if it remembers me at all, it shall only be the fraction of the truth.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Blue flames temple
Raen thanks Thelonious for his words and assistance and asks, plainly, what it takes to join the guild aside of an invitation and what means to be a member of that guild. He expresses his preference to be a mostly adventuring do-gooder mage, the ones with short lives that are usually tragically ended with a place of research to back his spell needs. He confesses that he has second thoughts about returning back to his home plane although he has not made a final decision yet.
He tells the mage over a cup of tea that if he stays and is invited to the guild, he could do things like gathering components for them or unearthing magic items for the guild as long as it doesn't harm good creatures. He also asks Thelonious if he is aware of any quick job currently open that would involve such things so he could prove his worth to the guild, if his party agrees.

Party meeting
"I would be willing to join such an expedition as well Bennedict."
Raen takes a breath before opening up. "However... I am not sure I want to return back to our plane. You have your family; I have mostly bad memories from my time there. This place is not a utopia, but ... this city alone has more population than Barovia. There are libraries the size of castles. There is good work to be done here too.
I will help you get back of course. But I am not sure I will join you on the way back."
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

What Raen learns:
VIEW CONTENT:
The association of magicians in the area isn't quite a guild. Rather, it's the respectable arcanists and mages in the city, taken as a group. Small s society. Not formal, but governed by unwritten rules.
Those rules include: no black necromancy, no summoning evil lower planar beings, nothing that would be treason against Selgaunt or Sembia. Show professional courtesy to fellow students of the Art: fair swaps of spells, helping another mage who is not your enemy if he's lost his spell-book, fighting wizard duels outside the city so as not to destroy neighborhoods, etc.
The local clergy of Mystra and her helper-god, Azuth (whose shrine is contained within the House of Blue Flames) encourage magicians to follow these standards of conduct.

The illusionists stand apart from other magic-users. It seems those weavers of deception aren't much trusted, though they are not shunned like demon-summoners and zombie-masters.
Illusionists have their own special language. They worship Leira as their patroness but also pay homage to Mystra.

Thelonious informs Raen that he will look into the matter of a quest for the group.
''I will send a message if something comes up. It usually does.''

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:Bennedict returns to the party's lodging, detailing his plans to acquire a boat and meet with the cultists. Once that's completed, he'll head to the docks to look for someone to ferry him out there.

AT THE DOCKS

Benn finds a fisherman called Konstan who will ferry him to the Isle of Cats, wait with the boat, and then row him back. The man wants four gold pieces for the job.
"I've heard that the Isle of Cats is haunted! Seen some funny lights over it before, myself...and heard strange noises coming over the water in the morning mists. Not just the cats. If it is cats... But I'll take you and I will wait for you. You can signal with a lantern. Pay me two coins setting out and the other two when I set you safe back here on the docks. Sound fair?"

Konstan owns a fair-sized fishing boat, which could transport several persons with gear.
He's assisted by his two younger cousins, stout-looking lads.