Lost Trails 3: The Hollow Way

Online roleplaying at the Café
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Lost Trails 3: The Hollow Way

Post by ewancummins »

:azalin:
Last edited by ewancummins on Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Lost Trails 3: The Hollow Way

Post by ewancummins »

The hounds arrive and the Governor's party searches through the moonlit night, men and dogs working together to catch any hint of the raiders and possible captives.
Anyone who needs to rest may do so--except for the murmurs and footfalls of men and the snuffling and occasional growls of dogs, the farm remains fairly quiet.

Early the next morning Governor Samus meets the adventurers in the little farmhouse.

She wipes dust from her face and sits at the table.
One of her huntsmen pours well water from a pitcher into several earth-ware mugs and sets these out for Samus and the others, then steps to the broken door to stand watch.

''The raiders left surprisingly little in the way of tracks. But I've seen signs of counter-tracking--it's too clean, past the margins of the farm on the side toward the swamp, eastward. And the hounds have been pulling that way, as those of you who helped in the search last night may have noticed. I'm certain they went that way. And since my militia riders have visited all the nearby farms and villages last night and come back without news of anyone from this place, and we found no one in the road or the fields hereabouts... we have to allow that the girl's family is either all dead now or captive. I mean to head toward the Vast Swamp with men and dogs hunting for a better trail along the way. Your party is, of course, free to do whatever you please. But I'd be happy to have you with me. What say you?"
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

RocEter
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by RocEter »

ewancummins wrote:The hounds arrive and the Governor's party searches through the moonlit night, men and dogs working together to catch any hint of the raiders and possible captives.
Anyone who needs to rest may do so--except for the murmurs and footfalls of men and the snuffling and occasional growls of dogs, the farm remains fairly quiet.

Early the next morning Governor Samus meets the adventurers in the little farmhouse.

She wipes dust from her face and sits at the table.
One of her huntsmen pours well water from a pitcher into several earth-ware mugs and sets these out for Samus and the others, then steps to the broken door to stand watch.

''The raiders left surprisingly little in the way of tracks. But I've seen signs of counter-tracking--it's too clean, past the margins of the farm on the side toward the swamp, eastward. And the hounds have been pulling that way, as those of you who helped in the search last night may have noticed. I'm certain they went that way. And since my militia riders have visited all the nearby farms and villages last night and come back without news of anyone from this place, and we found no one in the road or the fields hereabouts... we have to allow that the girl's family is either all dead now or captive. I mean to head toward the Vast Swamp, overland, with men and dogs hunting for a better trail along the way. Your party is, of course, free to do whatever you please. But I'd be happy to have you with me. What say you?"
Clive, in the farm house

"I am in." He says.

"I am not much for tracking but if there is killing to be done, that I can do."

Clive, who is unarmed and isn't wearing armor, stares out a window like he is guarding the farm house or simply enjoying the view. His body language and tone of voice suggests the latter.

Your enemies will know Mercy, either through diplomacy or my blade." He says looking back at the Governor and the rest of the party.
History prefers legends to men. It prefers nobility to brutality, soaring speeches to quiet deeds. History remembers the battle and forgets the blood. What ever history remembers of me if it remembers me at all, it shall only be the fraction of the truth.
Wolfglide of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Wolfglide of the Fraternity »

"I am certainly willing to pursue subhuman raiders. I will admit, I feel slightly out of my element, given that my normal work is more along the lines of internal affairs." Klokulf strokes his mustache pensively. "I will have to pray very carefully when the time comes to prepare my spells."
Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

Alain says "For myself I think whomever did this needs to be held acountable for these deeds, so I will be adding what abilities that are mine to wield against these foes ."
"Evil only endures when good people remain silent ."
Tony inspired by Thomas Jefferson .
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

"I'll be glad to be of service and restore a little justice for this crime" Raen said.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Bennedict looks doubtfully into the earthenware mug and the likely less than sanitary water, deciding to drink it anyway.

He stands and hefts his crossbow, looking almost comically small inside of his breastplate armor despite the numerous dings and dents of frequent use. "Let's see to it. Sooner started sooner done."

As they start heading out, he looks to the hunter. "Is that level of woodsmanship normal for these creatures, or is it a sign that something smarter is helping them?"
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:Bennedict looks doubtfully into the earthenware mug and the likely less than sanitary water, deciding to drink it anyway.

He stands and hefts his crossbow, looking almost comically small inside of his breastplate armor despite the numerous dings and dents of frequent use. "Let's see to it. Sooner started sooner done."

As they start heading out, he looks to the hunter. "Is that level of woodsmanship normal for these creatures, or is it a sign that something smarter is helping them?"
The grizzled huntsman, Samus' follower, tells him,
"Gnolls are smart enough to know how to cover tracks, but usually too lazy. Might be it's more'n just gnolls, or there's something funny going on...Or could just be a pack more cautious 'n most."

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Bennedict double checks his crossbow and nods. "Probably best not to speculate, but it won't hurt to keep our eyes open."

Satisfied, he nods and points it to the ground, giving the group a "shall we be off" look.
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Leaving the farmstead in the early morning, the party (which includes Samus, the three huntsmen, and three militiamen--all with horses) heads east.

Samus and her huntsmen dismount several times in the first hour or so of the ride, and check for trail signs. Nothing definite...

But around noon, as the treeline of the Vast Swamp's fringe comes into clear view not far to the east, the party comes across sunken roadway running northwest to southeast, toward the swamp.

Samus looks down at the holloway.

"This used to be overgrown, if I recall it right... See how the shrubs have been cut back and trampled in spots?"

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Bennedict has no skill in tracking, especially in this rural environment, but still looks down at the trail and nods, sagely, making an "Mmmm" sound.
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Katrin makes no dramatic announcements, but merely nods and follows the others. However, her attitude does not suggest reluctance... esxcept maybe once they reach the swamp, those paying attention may hear a weary sigh...
Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

Alain keeps an eye out for possible ambushes sites as they travel further into the swamp . Taking his trusty mug out for occasional drinks of fresh water it provides at stops along there journey .
Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

ewancummins wrote:Leaving the farmstead in the early morning, the party (which includes Samus, the three huntsmen, and three militiamen--all with horses) heads east.

Samus and her huntsmen dismount several times in the first hour or so of the ride, and check On seeintrail signs. Nothing definite...

But around noon, as the treeline of the Vast Swamp's fringe comes into clear view not far to the east, the party comes across sunken roadway running northwest to southeast, toward the swamp.

Samus looks down at the holloway.

"This used to be overgrown, if I recall it right... See how the shrubs have been cut back and trampled in spots?"
On hearing about how this maybe different from what Samus has seen in the past, Alain gets down off his horse then mutters a spell* to himself after he gets about twenty feet away from what Samus is talking about .

*Spontaneous Search
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Alain moves aslong, scanning the sunken lane.
He swiftly uncovers a trail in the bottom of the holloway, his magic letting him pick out the clues through the brush and dust. He sees the impressions of bare feet, child-size, along with what might be a woman or slight-built man's tread.
Ahead and behind these prints, he discovers deeper tracks made by big feet with faint nail or claw marks. Not human but some other kind of biped.

When he reports his find, Samus gets closer and looks.

''Good work! And fast, too! Faint as they are, yes... Those are gnoll tracks. I think they must have prisoners, judging from the human footprints. And they're headed toward the swamp along this sunken lane. At least...hmmm...at least half a dozen gnolls..."